SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-19, 06:25 AM   #10
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
no im not around much but i try to pop in now and then when i can but it can be weeks or months sometimes before i do.

as for your question, well now thats the can of worms i ran into with them, i literally surrendered after fighting it modding and testing for weeks and had to settle for the changes i got which were at least better then nothing and had them no longer acting as super boats

the s-boat game files are so utterly fubar that my mod was the best i could do and its not even half way to where it should be

if the fuel range and battery charge ranges are changed any more then i did then i found it would default to super subs that never run out of fuel or batteries and damage was equally as much a struggle

i think it would be easier to start over and draw up brand new files for the s-boats because the ones in the game, in my opinion, are unfixable and impossible to even find what values they use since the ones in the s-boats files certainly get little or no results to changes you make.

its been so long i cant even remember but you should be able to add my mod without it having any affect on the sound at all, my mod only changes the s-boat file folders

worst case open my mod and see what values i used for the s-boat and then copy the s-boat files from FOTRS to your desktop to mod them and then change those s-boat files to match the ones in my mod and then you have made it FOTRS compatible

you can read more about it then i can even remember about it here https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=157608
Thank you, you're being very helpful. I did indeed inspect your mod using S3ditor and I compared your file against stock, FOTRSU and what I researched.

Optimistically I went and plugged in historical data and of course was deeply disappointed. I then went and used your settings and tested and found the problems you mentioned, but I was also unable to obtain better results by tweaking your settings.

Here are things that I did find:
  • S-Boats deplete their battery submerged at 2kts at 4% per hour
  • Recharge is independent of the speed or telegraph setting at a decreasing rate, starting at 13% per hour at below 10% and coming down to 5% per hour at 95%

Your suggestion to start out from scratch has a lot of merit. Maybe you can help me understand a few things:
  • Is NSS_18.sim the only file that governs the boat's properties pertaining to battery, speed, battery capacity drainage and recharge, fuel consumption and range?
  • Do you agree that somewhere are linear and non-linear, presumably quadratic functions, coded that govern efficiencies for fuel, recharging and decharging at different speeds / telegraph settings?
  • Do you have any idea what these functions might roughly look like?
  • Your values for "Submerged" are very different from any other mod / stock / reality, but seem to be necessary, at least in combination with the other values, to obtain a somewhat realistic boat. How would you explain that?
  • Which parameter governs recharge speed?
  • Which parameter governs battery capacity?
  • Is battery capacity = submerged range and knots then governs the drainage at a certain speed?
  • Are the mechanics for surfaced travel the same?
  • What does eng_power and eng_rpm do in your estimation?
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote