SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-21, 06:06 PM   #3196
Canonicus
XO

Downloads: 623
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i have to agree with mike, here. the gramophone is for when you are shore leave.

when we are on patrol, the crew is supposed to mind their station by keeping their eyes on the gauges and their ears in the headsets.

do you want to live? then pay attention to your job.

WTF!...no music for the off-watches?... You run a tight boat.
Maybe too tight,imo... Hope moral doesn't suffer too much
Canonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 06:58 PM   #3197
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonicus View Post
WTF!...no music for the off-watches?... You run a tight boat.
Maybe too tight,imo... Hope moral doesn't suffer too much
The Beatings will continue until Morale improves.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 09:01 PM   #3198
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default 1.46 Question 1

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU 1.46\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN
200 Nippon_Maru_v1.2

New install and new Save area using MultiSH4.

Starting to experience CTD when loading a saved career-game. The setting would be in the middle of a patrol and not within 30 miles of land and no enemy ships or planes detected.

My thought is that this is a Win10 issue.

Here are my Compatibility Settings.

Any suggestions?

LAA enabled
Old 05-05-21, 09:28 PM   #3199
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
Good to hear that and great thanks for your reasearch.
Previously I checked the "Sensors_sub_US.dat" in Library and found there are many types of SJ radar mounts, which may cause problem easily. That's the drawback of the game itself. I agree with you that if the game only change the antenna, things will be be better.
Yes, the depth of the Library does indeed add to the confusion, and difficulty when trying to track down issues. It is good to have choices, but sometimes, a person wonders "would a player even notice the difference between an H-4 radar, and an H-6, when the range difference is only 2,000 yards?" Now, if the devices were spot-on accurate, yes, I would want the proper device, but in this case, trying to have a "Supported" radar mast, which just meant that it had brackets to hold it to the tower, instead of being built into the shears, makes a radar upgrade nigh on impossible, since the #1 conn cannot hold the new antenna for the radar upgrade. This is why, if a player cannot get a conning tower upgrade, they will not get a radar upgrade either - yet getting the conning tower upgrade is rather difficult, as witnessed by Post #10 of

Of refits, new commands, rank, and retirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikiieblitz View Post
Hello.

My game crashes when starting a mission in this version of the mod I don't get any notification saying whats wrong so I don't know what to do.

Is there someone who can help me?

thanks in advance.
Hikieblitz
The usual things to look for: 1. Is LAA properly activated on the SH4.exe file. 2. Is the game installed in a non-protected folder? You cannot have the game in one of the Program Files folders and have mods "stick". 3. Did you empty the Save folder before running the game after activating the mod?

Since you have the mod, open your game folder, then the MODS folder, then 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN, then the Support folder in there. Find the "ActivatingFOTRSU.pdf" file and read that. It isn't quite two pages of text. If you need more help moving or installing the game, then use the "Install Notes For the Various Versions of SH4 in Windows.pdf" file for comprehensive install help. You can also post back with a little information about your system here, including cpu & ram, or computer model, the video card you have, where the base SH4 game is installed, whether you emptied the Save folder, and if you have checked to make certain LAA is activated on the SH4 file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
USS Sailfish, lost with all hands at the northern end of the Makassar Strait, mid-May 1942 during daylight hours, to an apparent guided missile attack from a presumed Betty coming in from the NE at a range greater than 13.5 km. We received the radar warning just as we were hit. The initial attack did only 9 points of hull damage (20 points cumulative) and affected the engine room only, but the flooding was unstoppable.

This is the second attack like this in the same area, though the first resulted in only minor damage (that game was abandoned; this is a fresh start from base). Depths are 1000 meters plus, so mines are very unlikely; there were no sonar contacts to suggest a possible submarine in the area. As we submerged, there were no visual contacts via the external camera. Later we heard the radar contact's apparently ineffectual attack (no increase in hull damage).

Also, should there have been any harbor traffic in Balikpapan?
From your description, you are probably not close enough for these bad boys:

but just in case. At the "zoom" level of the map, you would have to be practically on the shore to be within range of most of those guns, though some do reach out 12nm. Not to give away too many trade secrets, but we did turn their "CrewRating" down, so they wouldn't be so spot-on accurate on their first shot... You also do not always get good sonar reports when on the surface. We did turn that down a bit prior to v1.39, so there could be a ship or sub nearby. Also, as I mentioned above, I have had airplanes in v1.46 seemingly camp-out right above my sub, and they are not seen in the periscope, nor on radar, and then they dive on you and put their first drop in the conn... We have noodled with a "fix" for their radar in v1.46, but I think I went too far, and now they're like any other plane, so on to plan B...

As for Balikpapan, the middle of May 1945 they do have traffic there in the mod, but this picture can be deceiving:

Some of that doesn't start until later dates, and the percentages on others are relatively low. The Japanese had control of the port in late January, so I wouldn't imagine there would have been a whole lot of traffic in and out until about May or June, other than trying to repair the oil facilities...

--------------------------------

As a little side note, we have replicated the virus in the laboratory (say that like luh-BORE-uh-Tory), and have managed to get stuck gauges, which does include the "gauges" of the sonar room, among others. A little more experimentation, and we should have the "when". Then all we have to do is track down the "HOW"... we will never be able to answer the "why", because after all, this is SH4...

@ KaleunMarco : Go ahead and tick that "Disable fullscreen optimizations" and see if things change. That usually keeps a game from loading 3D at all though, and not just after a Save... Have you found your Save folder? My Win10 has been putting the MultiSH4 created folders initially in the root folder of the games drive, such as if I have a game path of "E:\Games \FotRSU etc.", and I run MultiSH4, which usually makes the Save folder in "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", it now creates "E:\SH4" for me... after several plays of the game, it does "move" the folder to the proper place, which I suspect is a function of the "Windows Insider" account I have on this particular computer, and that OneDrive has to "coordinate" itself with My Documents... I do not know for certain, and whether Pro would be like Home in that regard, if you even had OneDrive activated on that computer...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-05-21 at 09:41 PM. Reason: KaleunMarco
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 10:08 PM   #3200
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Have you found your Save folder? My Win10 has been putting the MultiSH4 created folders initially in the root folder of the games drive, such as if I have a game path of "E:\Games \FotRSU etc.", and I run MultiSH4, which usually makes the Save folder in "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", it now creates "E:\SH4" for me... after several plays of the game, it does "move" the folder to the proper place, which I suspect is a function of the "Windows Insider" account I have on this particular computer, and that OneDrive has to "coordinate" itself with My Documents... I do not know for certain, and whether Pro would be like Home in that regard, if you even had OneDrive activated on that computer...
i have only one hard drive (C) and MultiSH4 did what it always does and created the new folder structure in C:\Users\UserName\Documents\FO2, which is what i needed it named.

i'll make that Properties change and see what happens on the next patrol.

Edit: so i reloaded the most recent patrol when i was RTB. it loaded on the first attempt however when i attempted to set a waypoint, i got the protractor icon but no string appeared and i could not set a waypoint.
i'll be unchecking that Disable Fullscreen feature ASAP.

LAA enabled
Old 05-06-21, 09:16 PM   #3201
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

A thing repeated will happen a third time.

USS Sailfish @ 1451 on 5/27/42 at a position 51 degrees, 393 km from Balikpapan's central wharf, again simultaneously received a radar report of incoming aircraft from the SW and 16 points of hull damage plus two torpedo tubes heavily damaged. Neither the watch, the radar, nor I could spot anything other than the reported bogey immediately following the hit.

What's different? I'd assumed this was just a side effect of the airborne radar issue but this time there's a crucial difference: there were two bogies, Zeros, which AFAIK never carried radar.

What's the hidden common factor? All three attacks have occurred ahead of an approaching TF moving up the strait.

Here's the kicker: you'll notice the date of this attack is several weeks after the others. On iterations 1&2, we were waiting in the narrowest part of the Makassar Strait (though well offshore) for a reported inbound TF from the south. On iteration 3, we stumbled across an invasion TF just off Lombok early on and, though we waited five days at the previous ambush point, no northbound TF ever appeared. Though we had to dive frequently because of incoming airplanes during those five days, there were no "guided missile" attacks.

However... after we completed our patrol in the Celebes Sea, our next assignment placed us right back in the ambush zone. And, shortly before the missile attack, an incoming TF appeared on the map to the south. Boom.

IIRC all three TFs were half a day or more away at the time of the attacks, possibly a day plus, and two of those came from the NE, the opposite direction of the TFs.

HTH.

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 05-06-21 at 09:25 PM.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-21, 09:55 PM   #3202
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Thanks for details Mios 4Me. We'll look into that.

Edit: OK, looking at the 42a layer, and you can indeed be in a bad spot with 2 northbound Task Forces coming home via the Makassar Strait. Only the one has a CV, but the other might be mostly DD... - depending upon the spawn, both can be rather large, and with bones in their teeth, with a minimum of 5 DD in the one, and 7 in the other, but with the good chance for over a dozen in each of them. Definitely a hotspot during that time frame. In addition, looking at the AirBase layer, the throat of the Strait is covered by at least six airbases, though it is tough to tell how many, because of all of the circles that display on the ME map, but it is at least six, maybe eight or nine... Most of those are "Normal" airbases, and each has several of each airplane available, so it is entirely possible, when in the throat of the Strait, to have constant air cover 24-7. There are a few other locations about the "Absolute Defensive Zone" that are like that, but most other areas of that amount of coverage are not as restricted in area. We do have the radars tuned-down, but I'll look at making a few of those bases in the area smaller, but we are going to leave Balikpapan itself heavily covered, since it was in real life, more than Rabaul or the Shortlands even (oil)...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-07-21 at 09:20 AM. Reason: again with the clarifications... lol
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-21, 03:46 PM   #3203
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I haven't activated this 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN as yet and I don't think I will do either, there are a lot of plane problems being reported with this version which tells me you've made a bloody mess of some of them.
I did tell you Mr beanie that these flying radars were a step too far and to introduce them when you'd fixed every issue with this mod, but no, you've put them in and from what I've been reading so far I've been proven right.

Putting these flying radars in the main mod was a huge bleeding mistake Mr beanie, why you didn't make them as an official "not fully tested mod" to try out at your peril is beyond me, no one listens to anything I have to say anyway so I don't know why I bother.
Old 05-07-21, 06:22 PM   #3204
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I haven't activated this 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN as yet and I don't think I will do either, there are a lot of plane problems being reported with this version which tells me you've made a bloody mess of some of them.
I did tell you Mr beanie that these flying radars were a step too far and to introduce them when you'd fixed every issue with this mod, but no, you've put them in and from what I've been reading so far I've been proven right.

Putting these flying radars in the main mod was a huge bleeding mistake Mr beanie, why you didn't make them as an official "not fully tested mod" to try out at your peril is beyond me, no one listens to anything I have to say anyway so I don't know why I bother.
propbeanie, can you hear something ? I thought I heard a puddy cat !!!! lol

Fully understand and steps have been taken to take back control of the skies, we may leave one air bound unit as is, we need to keep you all on your toes or kness, whatever comes first...

And to fully clear my learned friend, mr propbeanie... I s7rikeback, put the flying radars in, due to several requests from players, however, it seems the radar settings were from the Starship Enterprise E... Hopefully we will be at the Apollo 13 stage very soon.
Old 05-07-21, 07:32 PM   #3205
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post

Fully understand and steps have been taken to take back control of the skies, we may leave one air bound unit as is, we need to keep you all on your toes or kness, whatever comes first...

And to fully clear my learned friend, mr propbeanie... I s7rikeback, put the flying radars in, due to several requests from players, however, it seems the radar settings were from the Starship Enterprise E... Hopefully we will be at the Apollo 13 stage very soon.
you-guys are killin' me here.

i tawt i shaw a puddy tat.

radar from the Starship Enterprise?

when do we get photon deflector shields, Mr Beanie?!?!?!?

which Conning Tower upgrade has THOSE shields, Mr. Beanie?!?!?!?

LAA enabled
Old 05-07-21, 08:51 PM   #3206
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Default Home port: Square One

So much for the "TF trigger" theory on the missile strikes, for lack of a better term. Our next patrol was on the USS Tuna and the same radar report & damage combination occurred again, this time 450 km S of the Lombok Strait and with no TF on the board. Bogies were two Tojos.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-21, 08:58 PM   #3207
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post

you-guys are killin' me here.

i tawt i shaw a puddy tat.

radar from the Starship Enterprise?

when do we get photon deflector shields, Mr Beanie?!?!?!?

which Conning Tower upgrade has THOSE shields, Mr. Beanie?!?!?!?
Ahoy, s7rikeback.. propbeanie... & any of the team, still turning a wrench or swing a hammer here.. or slapping a paint brush around

I appreciate the much needed touch of love to fully flesh out a realistic modding to SH4 on the fleetboat side of it all, know that it is very much appreciated.

That said, am holding pattern on it right now.. & have stepped back to the copy I have modded out with 1.39, for the time being, until things can be brought to bear to being on a more.. even keel on 1.46, no offense.

I may... maaayyyy... see of a 2nd career through 1.46, with a boat out of Pearl, or Midway.. ( I assume with Midway, is a safe base to run out of... or to transfer to from Pearl.??? ) just as a test bed & see if I can make it, without 'High Noon' cropping up...

M. M.

Old 05-08-21, 07:15 AM   #3208
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

As a little side note, we have replicated the virus in the laboratory (say that like luh-BORE-uh-Tory), and have managed to get stuck gauges, which does include the "gauges" of the sonar room, among others. A little more experimentation, and we should have the "when". Then all we have to do is track down the "HOW"... we will never be able to answer the "why", because after all, this is SH4...

Fantastic, propbeanie!

Boy, if you can fix this, you should get a promotion,
maybe to prop-baseballcap or even prop-panamahat.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-21, 07:30 AM   #3209
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post

That's why nobody listens to me cos I'm bloody wrong again, apologies to Mr beanie and it's much appreciated Mr Shadrack s7rikeback and, next time leave my little pussy out of it.
Old 05-08-21, 07:51 AM   #3210
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
That's why nobody listens to me cos I'm bloody wrong again, apologies to Mr beanie and it's much appreciated Mr Shadrack s7rikeback and, next time leave my little pussy out of it.
Believe me, I have no intentions of going anywhere near your pussy...