SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-20, 09:45 AM   #1891
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
was this your first patrol of a new career?
check your gameplay options....from the Captain's screen...you know, the radio set on the left.
no. 8th patrol or so in a war career. It just started happening on the last patrol. I haven't touched the realism settings between patrols, so I don't know how they would have been changed (to allow infinite fuel). I'll check next time I'm in port.
Old 09-25-20, 10:20 AM   #1892
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramike View Post

Anyway, saved, went to sleep, tried to reload the next day and it gets right to where the game should be loaded and let me loose (you know that point where you hear every sound possible and realize its game on?), and I get a CTD Windows error, no sound.
I had a very similar experience on the two saves of my second patrol, but without any interior or other mods not listed in the Extras section of the latest version.

Moving on, I deleted those two saves and started the long slog of this patrol again (7 assignments, should have been eight but I gots a feeling I should be back in Midway by early May, can't say why). In the first iteration, I had encountered 2-3 ships in the Convoy College/Abuse areas which were completely stopped for no apparent reason. On the second, it happened again on 3/25/42 with a Split Merchant in area Abuse.

Starting Trout's Patrol 3, our orders dated 5/6/42 and departing 6/2/42, we were directed to Hsia-lun, Formosa, as the Japanese were expected to make a move on the Philippines at any time. Meanwhile, Corregidor fell that very day.

Along the way, we sank the Kaga, which had an oddly mottled hull and rudders.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-20, 01:50 PM   #1893
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramike View Post
Gotcha, although this was my first patrol and I never had a deck gun to begin with. Going to try the fix now though.
The SBoats do not have an interior file yet, so if you would have started with them, you would have had a deck gun. The Narwhal does not change guns, so it too would have had guns just fine. Let us know how you do with it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
no. 8th patrol or so in a war career. It just started happening on the last patrol. I haven't touched the realism settings between patrols, so I don't know how they would have been changed (to allow infinite fuel). I'll check next time I'm in port.
So you're in a Gato out of Midway? What is an approximate date? How much fuel do you have left now? How many miles have you gone, or days on patrol roughly? How much, and how high of time compression do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
I had a very similar experience on the two saves of my second patrol, but without any interior or other mods not listed in the Extras section of the latest version.

Moving on, I deleted those two saves and started the long slog of this patrol again (7 assignments, should have been eight but I gots a feeling I should be back in Midway by early May, can't say why). In the first iteration, I had encountered 2-3 ships in the Convoy College/Abuse areas which were completely stopped for no apparent reason. On the second, it happened again on 3/25/42 with a Split Merchant in area Abuse.

Starting Trout's Patrol 3, our orders dated 5/6/42 and departing 6/2/42, we were directed to Hsia-lun, Formosa, as the Japanese were expected to make a move on the Philippines at any time. Meanwhile, Corregidor fell that very day.

Along the way, we sank the Kaga, which had an oddly mottled hull and rudders.
You should not have gotten those orders at that time - they are not valid after 12/10/41 as an assignment. First and only first mission from Manila. Also, the Kaga has been fine. It sounds like your Save folder data is bad, especially in light of multiple ships completely stopped mid-ocean. A fellow in another thread mentioned the way he was doing a fresh install, and was doing it SH5-style, where you ~have~ to start and run the game and make a Save before doing TWoS, but with SH4, you have to completely delete the Save folder before running a newly modded version, so that the game re-builds the whole Save folder structure and pulls in all of the new mod data. You cannot delete just one Saved game folder and have the bad data removed. It pollutes the whole folder structure. You can keep the "root" folder, but anything from "data" on down in that SH4 (or whatever you named it, if using MultiSH4) Save folder should be deleted in order to completely clear the settings that are there...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-20, 04:04 PM   #1894
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

This is so frustrating - corrupted saves beginning on just my second patrol after nuking everything and starting over.

When I deleted everything, I included the root folder ThisPC>Documents>SH4, and ran Your Uninstaller and CC Cleaner. Then I downloaded and installed a clean version of SH4 and created a FRS save folder when I downloaded the latest mod version. Possibly I misunderstood terminology at some point, but if I missed a step anywhere, I don't see it.

Unless you're saying I need to delete the entire save folder between patrols, then reinstall the last one I'd copied elsewhere?

Mind you, when I began installing the latest version, I opened JSGME for the first time and found it populated with mods from the previous version, though I don't recall if they were activated. Where the repository for JSGME lies outside of the SH4 and related folders, I have no idea. I tried searching for it in WinExplorer but turning up nothing.
Old 09-25-20, 06:15 PM   #1895
WH4K
Frogman

Traveled thousands of miles in my last war patrol out of Midway - used only 1 unit of Diesel fuel, had 99/100 left on return.

Yes, Gato in mid-to-late-1943. Completed last patrol about August 20.

Checked settings - "limited fuel" is definitely selected. But, I'm now a few days out of Midway on another patrol in the Gato, and haven't used any fuel past 99/100, despite running at Flank for the last ~1200 nm.

This isn't correct - I should be using quite a lot of Diesel, going at Flank for days on end.

I use variable amounts of TC, usually as high as it will go to get out to patrol area, then 4096 or 1024 or so when patrolling around.
Old 09-26-20, 12:42 AM   #1896
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
This is so frustrating - corrupted saves beginning on just my second patrol after nuking everything and starting over.

When I deleted everything, I included the root folder ThisPC>Documents>SH4, and ran Your Uninstaller and CC Cleaner. Then I downloaded and installed a clean version of SH4 and created a FRS save folder when I downloaded the latest mod version. Possibly I misunderstood terminology at some point, but if I missed a step anywhere, I don't see it.

Unless you're saying I need to delete the entire save folder between patrols, then reinstall the last one I'd copied elsewhere?

Mind you, when I began installing the latest version, I opened JSGME for the first time and found it populated with mods from the previous version, though I don't recall if they were activated. Where the repository for JSGME lies outside of the SH4 and related folders, I have no idea. I tried searching for it in WinExplorer but turning up nothing.
You do not delete Saves between patrols unless you no longer need them, and do not bring old Saves back in. 1. Known-good fresh install 2. Apply the mod 3. Empty the Save folder (or reverse 2 & 3) 4. Enable LAA if necessary 5. Play the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Traveled thousands of miles in my last war patrol out of Midway - used only 1 unit of Diesel fuel, had 99/100 left on return.

Yes, Gato in mid-to-late-1943. Completed last patrol about August 20.

Checked settings - "limited fuel" is definitely selected. But, I'm now a few days out of Midway on another patrol in the Gato, and haven't used any fuel past 99/100, despite running at Flank for the last ~1200 nm.

This isn't correct - I should be using quite a lot of Diesel, going at Flank for days on end.

I use variable amounts of TC, usually as high as it will go to get out to patrol area, then 4096 or 1024 or so when patrolling around.
OK, let's do this, here I am leaving Pearl on June 11, 1942 in a Gato, using Ahead Full speed, bound for Midway with all default settings for "Normal":

We did encounter slightly rough seas for about a day and a half while enroute:

But here we are coming into Midway, having used about 10% of our fuel:

The CdrSubRon will be sorely disappointed in us using so much of Uncle Sam's diesel, that I am certain we had better come back with at least four in the bag, better if we had six, else he'll run us up the flagpole as an example of what NOT to do for fuel usage...

Now, when you are in the Captain's Office, click on the radio console to the left:

Choose the Gameplay Settings

and check your fuel setting, and all others you might want to change

Now, if you have done that, then there is a problem with your install of the game / mod. You cannot have the game in a Windows "Program Files" folder, else you will not get a good mod activation because of Windows' restrictions. You must have a known-good copy of SH4 prior to applying the mod. You must empty the Save folder when upgrading from major versions. Going from v1.2 to v1.24 ~should~ be fine, but there might be that slight chance that you have something in the original Save that is trashing things on you. You also have to be careful with the add-in mods, and not just willy-nilly about with them. Do some experimenting prior to starting a new career, and settle on a set-up. Once you have that, go on patrol, but leave things as they are. If something really bugs you about one of the add-in mods, start a new career and leave the offender out... Let us know how you get along, and what you find.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 04:02 AM   #1897
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

^WH4K has got something wrong with his game, its either the game settings or a mod thats potentially affecting the settings in some way.

Example mission,
Mar 30th 1943 left Midway 100% fuel.
April 24th 1943 Hachijo Jima 84%.

Mission was to go to those islands South of Dublon and sink ships, Yeah, I'd bloody do that if there were any there, Mr beanie sort these bloody missions out will you, hung around for awhile then decided to mosey on up to Hachijo Jima, we're there now and we've still only sunk 4 merchants.

At this rate I'm in for a another long patrol, we're staying in the area until all torpedoes have been used then its back to port. I'm thinking of quitting this game and then I'm going to add some shipping from Hokkaido all the way down to the Kii Suido, that should generate some targets and some action me thinks.
Old 09-26-20, 08:35 AM   #1898
WH4K
Frogman

I can pinpoint the change in behavior.

A few patrols ago, May 13 1943, same Gato, got back to Midways with 55/100 diesel.

End patrol, get offered newer boat. I turned it down because deck guns are broken (new boat didn't have one).

No CTD's or other indication of the slightest problem in the meantime.

Two patrols later (approx. June/July 1943), boat stops using diesel. Go figure.

(usual disclaimer applies: using no mods other than FOTRS:UE 1.24, started with fresh install beforehand, including deleting entire /SH4 folder in /Documents, no changes to gameplay settings between patrols)

update: Got back from my last patrol with my Gato so shot-up that they insisted on either a new sub, or retirement.

Tried taking the new Balao - no deck gun, as before.

I'll retire, delete everything, see if the fuel bug surfaces (ha, ha) again.

Last edited by WH4K; 09-26-20 at 12:11 PM.
WH4K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 08:48 AM   #1899
Moonlight
Admiral

You're a couple of months in front of me but you should have been given at least a 3" deck gun, this is what I got when I upgraded my Gar to a Gato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen Mr beanie but, I decided to accept a Midway Gato on the 29th November 1942 and all I was given with it was a basic loadout of a .50 Cal, 3" Deck Gun, SD Radar and no SJ Radar.

I installed a 20 mm AA Machine Gun, a 4" Deck Gun, SJ Radar, and Improved SD Radar.

No problems encountered so far after 5 patrols.
Old 09-26-20, 08:53 AM   #1900
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You do not delete Saves between patrols unless you no longer need them, and do not bring old Saves back in. 1. Known-good fresh install 2. Apply the mod 3. Empty the Save folder (or reverse 2 & 3) 4. Enable LAA if necessary 5. Play the game
1. Deleted everything SH4, including Save directory in Documents>SH4 and mods
2. Known-good fresh Sh4 version and mod installed
3. Enabled MultiSH4 and LAA
4. Played game
5. Game corrupted at some unknown point.

Incidentally, I tried playing that Formosa patrol mentioned above. Encountered KB on the way, set a beautiful ambush for Akagi, fired a spread of four torps, game CTDed just as the first struck.

Thanks to you, PB, and everyone else who's tried to help. If no one has any other suggestions, it seems my last resort is a factory reset some holiday weekend.
Old 09-26-20, 10:18 AM   #1901
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Stalled Ships

Something mentioned above about stopped ships stood out for me.

On my 2nd patrol, first out of Surabaya in Spearfish (Sargo), early-mid January, I encountered 2 such vessels (both Japanese, one a large split freighter (looks like a Fast Freighter) in the relatively shallow water ENE of Surabaya on the way to the Makassar Strait. It was night time, early January, and they were not moving. I torpedoed the larger one of the two. It stayed unmoving while the other one scooted away.

Later in the 3rd patrol starting May 4, 1942, this time out of Fremantle, I found anther large split Freighter in the East China Sea between Cam Ranh bay and the Balabac Strit. Again, it was motionless. I damaged it with my last torpedo while its companion fled. I moved off about 4500 yards and sank the larger ship with gunfire.

Both of these were in the dark of night. Any reason they should hold up in the dark? it is unusual.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.5.0.150
[G:\Ubisoft\Silent_Hunter_IV\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.24_EN
399_NoScrollNavMap
452_MoonlightzSonarLines
525_v1.004_Camera
801_UMark Invisible
901_strategic_map_symbols
999_DC_NBB_sil
1000_Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.1_EN
1001_FI_OQ_FOTRSU_v1.2_EN_compatibility
1002_OfficerCountryPatch
Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visability

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 10:22 AM   #1902
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I'm thinking of quitting this game and then I'm going to add some shipping from Hokkaido all the way down to the Kii Suido, that should generate some targets and some action me thinks.
i do this quite a bit...not necessarily with FOTRSU but with other mega-mods that choke down the traffic...especially after Summer '44.

i've created some Sea of Japan Traffic for TMO in order for me to do something positive, late in the war.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 10:33 AM   #1903
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Something mentioned above about stopped ships stood out for me.

On my 2nd patrol, first out of Surabaya in Spearfish (Sargo), early-mid January, I encountered 2 such vessels (both Japanese, one a large split freighter (looks like a Fast Freighter) in the relatively shallow water ENE of Surabaya on the way to the Makassar Strait. It was night time, early January, and they were not moving. I torpedoed the larger one of the two. It stayed unmoving while the other one scooted away.

Later in the 3rd patrol starting May 4, 1942, this time out of Fremantle, I found anther large split Freighter in the East China Sea between Cam Ranh bay and the Balabac Strit.
Yes, in at least two of my three cases, it was a Split Merchant. The other may have been a Fast Merchant or one of the Hansa versions, but I'm not sure.
Old 09-26-20, 10:36 AM   #1904
Moonlight
Admiral

Mr beanie we have a problem just like WH4K has, upgraded my sub to a baloa which I usually never do and there's no Deck Gun at all.
Here's what I was offered with it, 2x 20mm Machine Guns, twin versions in the left side, No Deck Gun anywhere, 1 SJ Radar, 1 SD Radar, Improved SD in the left side.

I'm going back to a save before the baloa and I'll continue with my Gato career, so at least WH4K has his deck gun problem confirmed as true, I don't know if the fuel problem is true as well as I never checked it out. Its cost me half a bloody Task Force to find this out but never mind eh, Mr beanie I'm promoting you to Major Mayhem status, may we all live to regret this promotion.
Old 09-26-20, 03:35 PM   #1905
Navelintel
Mate

Downloads: 167
Default Where's the smokestack?

Dateline 6/3/43, southeast of Singapore, I came across a freighter that didn't seem to fit the image in the recognition manual as shown below:

So, I went to the library to check and see what the Composite Superstructure Freighter should have looked like in my boat's recognition manual:

Not a big deal since I was able, through process of elimination, to discern the vessel but it took me several minutes before I was convinced of the correct ship type. By then, I lost the element of surprise as the target increased speed and sailed out of range. Oh well!

Navelintel is offline   Reply With Quote