SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-29-13, 03:38 PM   #1
Raven_2012
Commander

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] AMMO_v1.0_SH5_by_Raven_2012

I haven't been on here in ages. I was checking for some updates on mods for SH5, some seem to be the same. I got really lost trying to navigate to find the downloads, I guess some things have changed and some haven't.

I couldn't find my mod, I figured it got lost in the threads. I know its included in the MMM-MyMegaMod. I decided to reupload it here for people who don't use MMM-MyMegaMod like myself.

I spent countless hours researching info on U-boat ammunition and their usage and range. I find this the most accurate ammo adjustments for the game.

This mod is mostly intended for people who play for the realism of the game. Tactics may need to be changed in order to effectively use a deck gun. Which in most cases will be closer to how the real U-boats acted.

Here is Readme Documentation that comes in mod:

AMMO_v1.0_SH5_by_Raven_2012
2/21/2012

***Best to install at port for the new ammo amount to show up.

***This is compatable with Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1_HotFix by TheBeast. Just install this after
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1_HotFix by TheBeast with JGSME. This is also compatible with sobers reduced deck gun range mod V2 SH5,
just install it after AMMO_v1.0_SH5_by_Raven_2012.

--------------------------------------------------------
Ex:
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1_HotFix by TheBeast
sobers reduced deck gun range mod V2 SH5

My mod doesn't interfere with sobers reduced deck gun range mod V2 SH5. It gives a user 3 options to use in their game. Stock game would be
easy range settings, mine would be medium and sobers would be hard. It's all up to the player what kind of game they want.

This mod may seem over kill for such a little mod. The ammo amounts have been bothering me since SHIII and when SH5 came out I thought the
game creaters would have fixed it. After getting SH5, the ammo amounts seem very low to me and I wanted to adjust them to be more realistic.
Trying to find info on ammo ammounts for the different types of weapons on a U-boat isn't easy. It took me many weeks, a few months and countless
sources to get anywhere of a general idea, sometimes, on the ammo amounts carried by the VIII type U-boats.

Through research, u-boats would carry a max load out of ammo for its various types of weapons it carried, even though they may never use much
of this ammo. U-baots main payload was the torpedos and to deliever them stealthy was their main job. With that said I think having full stock of
ammo, food and good spirits would let the kriestmarine face whateverlay out in vast oceans.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my semi-realistc ammo mod, these are the adjustments I made. This will give you a general idea of my logic to the adjustments.
U-Boats would carry 4,380 rounds of 20mm ammuntion for the Flak guns or any weapon that used 20mm rounds, including rifles. I adjusted the
amount to 4,440 to give an even distribution when using 40 round clips. I didn't want to have to get to the last clip and there be 2 rounds
in it, that wouldn't make sense.

I gave 4,400 and 4,480 rounds to the double barrel and quad flak guns. I almost halfed the amount for the single barrel flak guns. I think
4,400 would be too much for them(a kind of historical gameplay balance). This would allow U-boat to carry x2 2200 if they have 2 flak guns of this
type. That would give the U-boat its historical carrying capacity of around 4,380 rounds of 20mm stored or my one 20 round clip more of 4,400 rounds.

--20mm_C30----------------------=2200*AP rounds---------------/20 round clip ***110 clips & reloads
--20mm_C30_2--------------------=2190*AP rounds---------------/30 round clip ***73 clips & reloads
--20mm_C38_Twin-----------------=4400*AP rounds---------------/40 round clip ***110 clips---55 reloads--x2--clips per reload
--20mm_C38_Twin_Shield----------=4400*AP rounds---------------/40 round clip ***110 clips---55 reloads--x2--clips per reload
--37mmM-------------------------=1200(400*AP+800*AA) rounds---/5 round clip
--37mmSA------------------------=1200(400*AP+800*AA) rounds---/5 round clip
--37mmTSA-----------------------=1200(400*AP+800*AA) rounds---/5 round clip
--Deck_Gun_GE88mm---------------=250(70*AP+180*HE) rounds-----/1 round
--Deck_Gun_GE105mm--------------=110(30*AP+80*HE)-------------/1 round
--Vierling(20mm Flak 38 Quad)---=4480*AP rounds---------------/40 round clip ***112 clips---28 reloads--x4--clips per reload

Adjusted the reload times:

--20mm_C30----------------------5 sec reload time
--20mm_C30_2--------------------5 sec reload time
--20mm_C38_Twin-----------------10 sec reload time
--20mm_C38_Twin_Shield----------10 sec reload time
--Vierling(20mm Flak 38 Quad)---20 sec reload time

--All 37mm----------------------1.5 sec reload time

--Deck_Gun_GE88mm---------------10 sec reload time
--Deck_Gun_GE105mm--------------10 sec reload time

(5 seconds would be the typical reload time for a deck gun, I doubled it to add in other factors. Like gun adjustments).

***Note: Historically, a well trained crew average firing rate would be 15-18 rounds per minute, giving a 4-3.3 reload time.

Adjusted the Deck Gun ranges:

--600m--------------------------Close Range Limit
--1800m-------------------------Medium Range Limit
--3000m-------------------------Long Range Limit

(Giving a 1200m gap between ranges)

-------------------------------------------------------

---Changes 1.0---

***Ammo amount adjustments.

***Changed the clip size of 20mm_C38_Twin to match that of 20mm_C38_Twin_Shield 40 round clip, stock was 20 round.

***Adjusted clip size for the 37mmTSA, stock had x1 5 round clip, which this gun had x2 5 round clip because it was a double barrel gun.

***Also changed the 20mm_C30_2 to fire a 30 round clip, like it's suppose to in game. If you read the clip size for this at base in the upgrade
panel, it will say its a 30 round version upgrade. When a player would upgrade it, they would only get a 20 round clip fire rate.

***The adjustment on the Deck_Gun_GE105mm sounds low, but that is what the typical larger U-Boats would carry. Like the I, IX, and X, the larger
IXD would carry more than this. Since the VII didn't typically carry this larger deck gun because of the boats smaller deck size, I used the 110
rounds for this gun.

***Gave more HE rounds to the Deck_Gun_GE88mm. High explosive rounds were more effective at damaging the hull of convoy ships. AP rounds had a
tendency to go through targets and did not do much damage. AP rounds were used for high armor targets, which weren't engaged much with deck guns.
These were used for those sturbborn warships that didn't want to do to the bottom after torpedoed many times.

***Adjusted reload times.

***Adjusted Deck Gun range.

---WARNING!!!---
Due to the increased ammo amounts, some captains may brave
the Tommies more while on the surface. Be advised you may
still get blow into the deep! A diving U-boat is a safe
U-boat. Alarm!!!
HAHA!!!

Credits:

--Big thanks to sober and his reduced deck gun range. That mod gave me the idea to reduce my own ranges of my deck guns and reduce my reload times.
You could say his reduced deck gun range is included, with my reductions and tweaks to the reload times. Without the knowledge of his mod I would
of never knew how to edit the deck gun ranges. Thanks again!!!

--Thanks also to TheBeast for allowing me to adjust his Deck_Gun_GE105mm in his Equipment Upgrade Fix Mod.

--Thanks to all the modders who put a lot of heart and soul into making Silent Hunter 5 a more realistic experience.

--Thanks to GWX for their fine work on their SHIII mod and their excellent manual from which I gathered some info from.

Sources:

http://www.uboataces.com/tactics-deckgun.shtml (Gave me general idea were to range my deck guns)

http://uboat.net/technical/guns.htm (Deck Gun ammo amount)

http://www.navweaps.com

U-Boat Combat Mission by Lawrence Paterson (20mm ammo storage)

The Submarine Commander's Handbook

SHIII - GWX manual (For its great source of info)

***Raven_2012***

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pr...Raven_2012.rar

Hope you guys enjoy!

***Don't use sobers bad weather deck gun V5 SH5 if you are using this mod or visa versa, they aren't compatible.

Last edited by Raven_2012; 01-12-14 at 12:44 PM.
Raven_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-13, 04:13 PM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Tnx Raven!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-13, 04:13 PM   #3
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I will integrate this into my mega mod list . Much more realistic and gameplay wise more fun especially for pesky fishing vessels .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-13, 09:36 PM   #4
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

This mod is not compatible with sobers bad weather deck gun V5 SH5
That's alright , just put AMMO_v1.0_SH5_by_Raven_2012 last to have the new ammo amounts show up . I have made a new mod with just the no traser bullets part of the sobers bad weather deck gun . So you could have
sobers No bullet trasers SH5
but you wont get the deck gun harder to use in rough seas , it will be stock useability but you will have no bullet trasers .
I wouldn't bother making your mod compatible because a lot of people don't like sobers bad weather deck gun .

Last edited by THE_MASK; 12-29-13 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 12:25 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

welcome back Raven_2012 I find your post most interesting as any thing to do with the deck gun fascinates me. I regard the u-boat as essentially a gun boat with torpedo backup; 50% of the sunk ships should be sunk with the gun to save eels and all eel targets then finished off with the gun. Naturally single ships, not convoys, are the preferred target with this doctrine. Dead astern at 3000 meters at night if possible is the optimal distance and least problematic if the merchant turns out to be armed, especially the Liberty ships with naval gun crews fore and aft..
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 06:47 AM   #6
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Thank you Raven!
tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 08:21 AM   #7
arnahud2
Frogman

Downloads: 724

Thanks a lot Raven. One word :

arnahud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 10:30 AM   #8
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

I'm not sure what is this in this case - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=192753

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 03:47 PM   #9
Raven_2012
Commander

Yeah that is me. No wonder I lost my status, I used wrong log in name. I thought I got deleted.

Yeah I posted that one a long time ago. I didn't think It was still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
I'm not sure what is this in this case - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=192753
Old 12-30-13, 04:09 PM   #10
Raven_2012
Commander

Yeah they are deadly weapons. They have their time and place. The work very well up close and tend not to use a lot of ammo when used properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
welcome back Raven_2012 I find your post most interesting as any thing to do with the deck gun fascinates me. I regard the u-boat as essentially a gun boat with torpedo backup; 50% of the sunk ships should be sunk with the gun to save eels and all eel targets then finished off with the gun. Naturally single ships, not convoys, are the preferred target with this doctrine. Dead astern at 3000 meters at night if possible is the optimal distance and least problematic if the merchant turns out to be armed, especially the Liberty ships with naval gun crews fore and aft..
Old 12-30-13, 05:22 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Power comes from the gun muzzle- MAO TSE TUNG 101

Hardegan on his famous drumbeater foray would agree with you too! I learned by default as I play unmodified (bad computer) without the biggest bang for my buck on eels. So as against a cripple, I adhere to Kretschmer's mantra: 'one ship; one eel". Excellent eel placement of a preheated eel into the dead-in-line sterns of Liberties(500 meters) for example negates the rear gun mount for subsequent easy pickings as the target stern is now below water and the front battery cannot be brought to bear astern. Solo Cimmaron tankers, and even AMC Rawalpindi's, at a distance of 3000 meters along their axis, length wise, is perfect for AP ammo in a downward ARCing fashion until they, now afire and closing to 1000 meters, can be finished with direct-trajectory HE shells in the coup-de-Grace...no two eels required. The initial commencement distance prevents his moderate return fire from inflicting damage to your boat. Ranger tankers go up like Ronson lighters-("where do they find crews to man those death traps?!"..It helps to do all your own shooting and in SHV the gun crew should be promoted early pointswise to improve reload time efficiency.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 06:25 PM   #12
Raven_2012
Commander

Yeah Eels should be treated like its the only one you have. They have to get that golden shot off, if they work properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Hardegan on his famous drumbeater foray would agree with you too! I learned by default as I play unmodified (bad computer) without the biggest bang for my buck on eels. So as against a cripple, I adhere to Kretschmer's mantra: 'one ship; one eel". Excellent eel placement of a preheated eel into the dead-in-line sterns of Liberties(500 meters) for example negates the rear gun mount for subsequent easy pickings as the target stern is now below water and the front battery cannot be brought to bear astern. Solo Cimmaron tankers, and even AMC Rawalpindi's, at a distance of 3000 meters along their axis, length wise, is perfect for AP ammo in a downward ARCing fashion until they, now afire and closing to 1000 meters, can be finished with direct-trajectory HE shells in the coup-de-Grace...no two eels required. The initial commencement distance prevents his moderate return fire from inflicting damage to your boat. Ranger tankers go up like Ronson lighters-("where do they find crews to man those death traps?!"..It helps to do all your own shooting and in SHV the gun crew should be promoted early pointswise to improve reload time efficiency.
Old 01-07-14, 12:57 AM   #13
Raven_2012
Commander

I just notice the compatibility. Why don't people like the bad weather deck gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
This mod is not compatible with sobers bad weather deck gun V5 SH5
That's alright , just put AMMO_v1.0_SH5_by_Raven_2012 last to have the new ammo amounts show up . I have made a new mod with just the no traser bullets part of the sobers bad weather deck gun . So you could have
sobers No bullet trasers SH5
but you wont get the deck gun harder to use in rough seas , it will be stock useability but you will have no bullet trasers .
I wouldn't bother making your mod compatible because a lot of people don't like sobers bad weather deck gun .
Old 01-07-14, 01:26 AM   #14
vlad29
XO

Downloads: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_2012 View Post
I just notice the compatibility. Why don't people like the bad weather deck gun?
I like it, didn't know why Sober made such a conclusion
vlad29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 01:27 AM   #15
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_2012 View Post
No idea , but if you could make a compatible version that would be wonderful .