SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-01-16, 08:56 AM   #2446
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

For everyones information, the Campaign Files need to be changed/modified whenever a "Type" change is made. I thought this was evident.

It's one thing to have a ship actually become an "Air Base" (allowing planes to spawn from it when the enemy is detected) and make a specific playable mission that has it do so........its another to have the Campaign files recognize a change has been made to a specific ship and expect it to do the same.

The Campaign files sometimes allow random ships from a specific "Type" to be spawned. The files simply call on a "Type19" (a Super Fleet Carrier) to appear. Out of the inventory of Type 19's....a ship is made to spawn for that mission.

At other times the Campaign mission states specific ships (by their specific name) to be spawned.....like when a specific ship is used for a specific battle mission (the Enterprise, Yorktown may be used during the Battle of Midway). When these specific named ships are called on in the Campaign files, the ship "Type" had better be what's listed in the ships .cfg files.

It's these two issues that need to be remembered when getting all the parts to fit together.

When I made some of the BB's, CA's, CL's turn into "Air Bases" it was with the above understanding of how things work that I left some of the BB's, CA's, CL's as they are. Those that were not categorized as "Air Bases" will fill in the inventory of their original "Types".....the others were going to fill in the role of their new "Type". Which means the Campaign files need to be modified to allow for this change. Just switching ship "Types" wasn't going to make a flawless transition......all Campaign or Dynamic Campaign files are going to have to be looked at for correct ship "Type" changes, especially when a specific "Named" ship is called on.

Just figured you "Campaign" guys knew that.

==============

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
(Referring to ship "Type").......the list is hard-coded, but the naming scheme is "mod-able", correct? That's how you changed the names of 18 and 19, right?
Yes, the naming is whatever you wish to call it. What the specific "Type" does is hard coded.

Quote:
Can you explain how the use of Type=21 allowed the showing of a warship flag on the cloned vessel?
Having a specific ship on a particular side, Axis/Allied/Neutral, or showing a particular flag for that ship is done within the Roster folder and the .cfg file that lists the nationalities and at what time they are listed either neutral....friend or foe (sorry I'm not at home now to look up the specific .cfg file, I just know there is one).

Take the neutral Red Cross entry. You make a folder called Red Cross in the Roster folder (its your new "nation"). Fill it as you would any other nations folder with the other folders (Air, Sea, etc). Put a ship in the "Sea" folder that follows the conventions as the other ships in the other nationalities folders (based on a ship that's been correctly placed in the Data/Sea folder). This ship can be cloned, yet you need to have completely different indexes for the ship in its 3D modeled parts so the game doesn't get confused when its called on to render the two ships at the same time. Put a flag that represents your new nation into the proper "Flag" file and poof.....you've got a ship flying its new flag, for a new nations entry into the game.

Quote:
Do you happen to know if there are available "slots" in the list, above what Stock SH4 shows in Names.cfg?...
If you mean......can you add additional ships to the Names.cfg? Sure can.

The Red Cross ship has a ClassName=HMSGimpy in its .cfg files (both in the Data/Sea/xxxx.cfg folder, and in the Data/Roster/Red Cross/Sea/xxxx.cfg file). In the Names.cfg file, add the name HMSGimpy=Hospital Ship under the Sea group of listed names. The name "Hospital Ship" will appear whenever you open the Recognition Manual, or when you look at the Museum list of ships under the new nations name of Red Cross, or on the Position Keeper when you use Auto Targeting for game play. The number of ships is infinite, even having the ship named in the Names.cfg makes no difference if the ship doesn't exist...the game just ignores it. If you've ever looked at RSRDC's Names.cfg file you'll see many ships are from Lurkers Operation Monsun mod......no need to remove them, the game doesn't use them.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 11-01-16 at 09:07 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 11:44 AM   #2447
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Beta testers, let me know if you need a new link. I don't know if the old one will work.
I need a new link, the old one still links to the 100 FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.26_Beta_EN.7z and not to the v0.27 Beta.
Old 11-01-16, 01:13 PM   #2448
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I'll get you fixed Moonlight. First, though I have to fix a problem with the 7zip file. It should make a hierarchy of 100 Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate v0.27 Beta EN with Data and Support enclosed. Instead it unzips into separate Data and Support directories with no master directory under the mod name as required by JSGME.

I'll have it fixed in several minutes.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 12:08 AM   #2449
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

We've got our wires crossed again, and have the old Campaign and Mission files in the beta27. We'll have to do a quick change on that tomorrow.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 10:02 AM   #2450
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I need a new link, the old one still links to the 100 FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.26_Beta_EN.7z and not to the v0.27 Beta.
Update: AVG Warhawk had unzipping stop at 97% so we're checking out the files and will have a troubleshot download later today.
Old 11-02-16, 10:28 AM   #2451
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Update: AVG Warhawk had unzipping stop at 97% so we're checking out the files and will have a troubleshot download later today.
Stalled when unzipping the roster. I still loaded the mod in JSGME and playing.
Old 11-02-16, 10:39 AM   #2452
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
We've got our wires crossed again, and have the old Campaign and Mission files in the beta27. We'll have to do a quick change on that tomorrow.

That's good to know, because I met again with the DD mass spawning in the Luzon Straits again last night. Middle of January, '44.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 10:51 AM   #2453
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

By the way, we thank our beta testers
  • AVGWarhawk
  • Gray Lensman
  • Jeffg
  • Moonlight
  • Navigator857
  • Wizz
If I've left anyone out, please let me know.

I have a complete copy of 0.27 without propbeanie's campaign fixes on my desktop now. I won't upload it. S7rikeback, if you'll get propbeanie's campaign fixes and mix them into your 0.27, then upload the whole shebang I'll hold off here and let you do the magic.

Then we'll issue new links to all our beta testers.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 11-02-16 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-02-16, 04:08 PM   #2454
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

I've been doing some thinking (ya, ya, I know) on this mass spawning of the DDs and wanted to see what you guys think about something that just came to mind. I was over on the other forum we've been using lately and read something pb mentioned about the mis files not completely overwriting the stock files when using the JSGME. Since both pb and myself can't seem to get a handle on the problem because we can't find anything in the FOTRSU mis files that would indicate a problem. Could the problem be that the stock files not getting overwritten is the problem and not the FOTRSU mis files. Just maybe the stock missions files should be removed before from the game before using the JSGME to install the Beta version.

Not that the FOTRSU mis files aren't without their own problems which pb has been hard at work on trying to correct.

What do you guys think, am I just blowing smoke here or is this thought a possibility?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 02:26 AM   #2455
propbeanie

Definite possibility cdrsubron7. I've just finished noodling in the Campaign.cfg file, and I've temporarily disabled several files in the Campaign folder that are NOT part of FotRS. We've been doing all these edits, and missing over a half dozen that don't get overwritten, and probably have bad calls to ships in them also. These bad calls have little to do with the older versions of FotRS, but mostly because of the changes bringing it to v1.5, and changing the ships themselves around some.

I think what we need to do also is get a handle on how many RGG Units are used in FotRS, and compare that to Stock and other mods, like TMO. We probably have to do some judicious trimming. We also have to finish cleaning those RGG calls to ensure that the "Leader" unit is called 100% of the time. I've put a good dent in that the last couple of weeks, and especially the last three days, but there's still over 2000 RGG to go through yet.

Another thing we ought to do is have like a troubleshooting form for when we encounter a "Run-A-Way Spawn" situation, where we note the circumstances of the encounter, such as location as accurately as we can, the boat we're in, the ship(s) that spawned, the time of day, whether we were doing a Single Mission or a Campaign, if the Campaign, what our assignment was, how much Time Compression had we used, if we were using it at the time of the encounter, what was the first contact report, ie: visual, radar, sonar... stuff like that, and put it all in a post over in the Black Hole site in the Reports section. Maybe, just maybe, we can track it (them) down...

Cubs Win!
Congratulations to the Chicago Cubs! It's a shame the Cleveland Indians had to lose, 'cause they're a great team too!

Old 11-03-16, 09:54 AM   #2456
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I have not encountered any runaway spawns as yet. Frequency of air patrol as I near Japan is good(start of war) . The seas off Japan seemed quite dead until I happened upon a convoy of merchants and warships. I have not attacked as yet. A few texture issues or no issues. I'm not sure. My sub is black in color but the hatches are gray. A strange video anomaly. I will post a screenshot. I think we have seen this before. Do not recall the fix. One other item, the orange circle is showing over my sub when submerged.
Old 11-03-16, 09:55 AM   #2457
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Okay Propbeanie, I'm mixing in only BetaV27Campaign only, not the other files in the directory and then re-releasing v0.27.
Old 11-03-16, 10:39 AM   #2458
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I've just finished my first mission of the v0.27 which s7rikeback gave me a link to yesterday, I decided to give it a spin and test out the water in preparation for this newer one you're putting together.

Just a few things I need to ask about.
January 2nd 1942 I sank a Mogami cruiser and an Ise battleship, I thought these type of battleships were a late war addition to the IJN and not early war.?

The DD's that were with the TF were useless, not a single ping came our way, they need a little improvement to get the adrenalin flowing me thinks.
The Navmap, lots of black round smudges in place of ship silhouettes, what's that all about.?

These can all be corrected later with other mods so I'm happy to say that it hasn't crashed on me like the v0.26 did, good job on that as I was surrounded with convoys that must have had something wrong with them.
Old 11-03-16, 11:50 AM   #2459
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I've just finished my first mission of the v0.27 which s7rikeback gave me a link to yesterday, I decided to give it a spin and test out the water in preparation for this newer one you're putting together.

Just a few things I need to ask about.
January 2nd 1942 I sank a Mogami cruiser and an Ise battleship, I thought these type of battleships were a late war addition to the IJN and not early war.?

The DD's that were with the TF were useless, not a single ping came our way, they need a little improvement to get the adrenalin flowing me thinks.
The Navmap, lots of black round smudges in place of ship silhouettes, what's that all about.?

These can all be corrected later with other mods so I'm happy to say that it hasn't crashed on me like the v0.26 did, good job on that as I was surrounded with convoys that must have had something wrong with them.
Mogami was launched in 1935, Ise in 1917. Both served from the beginning.
J0313 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 01:04 PM   #2460
propbeanie

... and the "smudges" are "TMO style" to simulate a pencil mark a crew member might make on the chart when they'd get a report of "radar contact! Bearing, 128, long range, 12,530 yards." FotRS has always been like that. We are trying to set-up options for doing it like it is, all the way without where you'd make your own marks, and "Stock" style with the little silhouettes. We'll see how it goes. We're still trying to get the Campaign layer "clean"... You will most likely encounter a few "hiccups" along the way, and might even get rudely bumped out to the desktop a time or two or more when you encounter a ship or plane that isn't "registered" in the game correctly with the file that is playing at the time. Don't put too much effort into doing something to "keep" for now, but we definitely need you to look closely at its operation, like you have thus far. Multiple patrols from the same career, but also multiple careers at different time frames, in different boats, from different home ports. Thanks.