SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-21-17, 10:15 PM   #5611
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 1

Does anyone encounter the screen flashing? My game screen suddenly begin to rapidly flashing with black a few days ago and it was so annoying
The flashing part is usually the water surface, half of it near by the horizon...
Old 12-22-17, 09:31 AM   #5612
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

We'll have to wait for someone to come along that is more familiar with the graphics set-up for the game, but in the meantime, what video card are you using? What is the "native" resolution of your monitors? What is Windows set to display? What is the game set to display?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 10:10 AM   #5613
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzBegonia View Post
Does anyone encounter the screen flashing? My game screen suddenly begin to rapidly flashing with black a few days ago and it was so annoying
The flashing part is usually the water surface, half of it near by the horizon...
I've never seen screen flashing on my semi-ancient GTS 250 video card.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 10:27 AM   #5614
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I've never seen screen flashing on my semi-ancient GTS 250 video card.
ummm... I' now in GTX1060 with 1920*1080 res...

Last edited by yyzBegonia; 12-22-17 at 10:41 AM.
yyzBegonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 04:22 PM   #5615
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1108
Uploads: 10

Default Hmm & opps

Quote:
ummm... I' now in GTX1060 with 1920*1080 res...
no effects from me either... See my specs below.

==========================================

On another note:

December 8th 1941.
S-class leaving Manilla.

Never made it out of the harbor

So concerned with the air traffic, i collided with the incoming quays.

Holy-cow what a sight, bettys everywhere, sky was thick with flak and tracers.. Strangely tho, the japs just did a formation flyby.

And as i was sinking, a second formation arrived
Old 12-22-17, 04:58 PM   #5616
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Set course uh............ Oh look! Aero Planes!
Old 12-22-17, 05:40 PM   #5617
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
But, but, they were all pretty like...

We loved the fireworks, would have been a shame to miss them...

But i did notice, that the three formation CAP soon vanished as they arrived.. lol.
Old 12-22-17, 06:10 PM   #5618
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
If memory serves correctly, Pb has already given me a previous court Marshall, hmm something to-do with colliding with a ship at pearl, and crash diving with all hatches open.

Time to hide.
Old 12-23-17, 09:13 AM   #5619
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
(Using) GTX1060 with 1920*1080 res...
With that video card, I'm suspecting you're using Windows 10? What's the Windows 10 version......1703; 1709? And, what's the "OS Build"? I'm only curious to see if you have the latest "Updates" to your OS. Although, the latest updates of Windows does not address a problem that's inherent with a significant feature of rendering graphics on your computer.

DirectX 12 comes with Windows 10, but a little known fact is DirectX 12 does not support legacy versions of DirectX. SH4 requires the older DirectX 9.0c version. Without it, all kinds of video issues can arise. On the games original install wizard (when using the original game disk to install) you're asked if you wish to add DirectX 9.0c to your computer. A player should always do this. If you've installed from some other source, like a Steam Download, I have no idea if you were asked to add DirectX 9.0c or not?

Microsoft has provided a way of checking/updating your DirectX build to provide the older versions drivers. I outline this in Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install, found on this SubSim's Forum page. A direct link to my specific page regarding the Microsoft "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" is HERE. I would follow the instructions found there to have DirectX run as it should.

I don't know if this will correct your issue, but its defiantly something everyone needs to be aware of and correct when using DirectX 12.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-17, 01:05 PM   #5620
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
With that video card, I'm suspecting you're using Windows 10? What's the Windows 10 version......1703; 1709? And, what's the "OS Build"? I'm only curious to see if you have the latest "Updates" to your OS. Although, the latest updates of Windows does not address a problem that's inherent with a significant feature of rendering graphics on your computer.

DirectX 12 comes with Windows 10, but a little known fact is DirectX 12 does not support legacy versions of DirectX. SH4 requires the older DirectX 9.0c version. Without it, all kinds of video issues can arise. On the games original install wizard (when using the original game disk to install) you're asked if you wish to add DirectX 9.0c to your computer. A player should always do this. If you've installed from some other source, like a Steam Download, I have no idea if you were asked to add DirectX 9.0c or not?

Microsoft has provided a way of checking/updating your DirectX build to provide the older versions drivers. I outline this in Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install, found on this SubSim's Forum page. A direct link to my specific page regarding the Microsoft "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" is HERE. I would follow the instructions found there to have DirectX run as it should.

I don't know if this will correct your issue, but its defiantly something everyone needs to be aware of and correct when using DirectX 12.
That's it! I'ms using 1709 and I didn't installed DX9 when I re-install the OS last month.... Now I do it and it works!
Old 12-23-17, 01:20 PM   #5621
yyzBegonia
Gunner

I just received an aviator-rescue mission at the SLOT (New Georgia Sound). I arrived the designated area in time and started a patrol for couple of days, one night my radar suddenly began to pick up large number of aircraft around me on the screen, which was possibly a dogfight. After a while, some 'stationary' map contacts began show up (I have disabled the map contact update so they should be radio contacts) scattered in a wide area:

I guessed they were drowned pilots, so I rush to those contacts with ahead flank immediately. Unfortunately I've checked every contact but nothing was found... Did they all drowned before I arrive? I think it's possible because it was a 15-meter/s-wind night
Old 12-23-17, 03:29 PM   #5622
propbeanie

It is a possibility that they all "drowned". It could also be the they drifted much faster, due to the winds. I have had similar happen, though I got two out of a bunch one night, but I don't think I had 15 knot winds. Yikes! Did not get a completed mission. If you go to decks awash and ahead 1/3, you can use sonar to help in finding them also. It looks like you had the mission that specifically mentions being off Guadalcanal by the 9th of October? or you might have had the general "Solomons" for the 5th of December? The pilots will be surrounded by a bright pink "halo" about them, to mark them visually for you, which under normal circumstances can be seen a long way off, but typhoon weather? sheesh, who knows? I put some Japanese pilots in the water in a few of those missions, hoping to be able to "rescue" some of them to be used for their intel, however, the game doesn't do that...

Old 12-23-17, 04:01 PM   #5623
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It is a possibility that they all "drowned". It could also be the they drifted much faster, due to the winds. I have had similar happen, though I got two out of a bunch one night, but I don't think I had 15 knot winds. Yikes! Did not get a completed mission. If you go to decks awash and ahead 1/3, you can use sonar to help in finding them also. It looks like you had the mission that specifically mentions being off Guadalcanal by the 9th of October? or you might have had the general "Solomons" for the 5th of December? The pilots will be surrounded by a bright pink "halo" about them, to mark them visually for you, which under normal circumstances can be seen a long way off, but typhoon weather? sheesh, who knows? I put some Japanese pilots in the water in a few of those missions, hoping to be able to "rescue" some of them to be used for their intel, however, the game doesn't do that...
Really? You mean the active sonar? Or just passive hydrophone... Well I've never thought about my sonar is sensitive enough to pick up a small life craft. Yes, the mission is to "Solomons" by 5 December, however, my current game date is in August! Just never mind, what I want to say is that there was absolutely nothing. I searched for the whole night and there was no life crafts nor bright smoke but only the surges and......... Japanese dive bombers! They flew at low altitude so they get rid of been detected by my radar, when they've been spotted by my deck watch they were already cheek to cheek on me... It was a disaster, the bombs destroyed all of my front tubes, main battery, both persicopes and deck gun. Miraculously there were no casualties But I have to give up the rescue mission and sail back to home! I just don't understand how they could find my boat at a totally dark night. I'm sure they were D3A Vals, did they equipped with airborne radar as early as 1942??
Old 12-23-17, 09:16 PM   #5624
propbeanie

No... that doesn't sound right, that you were attacked by planes at night... It shows 00:28 hours on your boat clock, and there shouldn't be any enemy planes... The 5th of December mission is still in stock FotRS trim, and that is one of the problems, in that the "trip" goes off whether you're early, late, or on time. The game does not have a way to regulate that portion of the game very well. The game doesn't really know how to keep time in a human manageable way, and only counts up to 99,999 minutes anyway (not quite 70 days). For most circumstances, that's fine. However...

Do you have any other mods installed? Are you playing from a Saved game?

Old 12-23-17, 10:37 PM   #5625
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
No... that doesn't sound right, that you were attacked by planes at night... It shows 00:28 hours on your boat clock, and there shouldn't be any enemy planes... The 5th of December mission is still in stock FotRS trim, and that is one of the problems, in that the "trip" goes off whether you're early, late, or on time. The game does not have a way to regulate that portion of the game very well. The game doesn't really know how to keep time in a human manageable way, and only counts up to 99,999 minutes anyway (not quite 70 days). For most circumstances, that's fine. However...

Do you have any other mods installed? Are you playing from a Saved game?
Ummm.... I only add some graphic mods such as submarine skin and torpedo wakes. It was a save game, but the career was started with FOTRSU installed... Now the rescue mission just so annoying because the day and night are full with enemy planes. I can't surface at all because they always towering over your head, wave by wave. Yes, ALWAYS. Now I'm almost been drove to mad by "radar contact!" voices.