SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-04-19, 05:16 AM   #7351
VIIC1941
Watch

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

Were you submerged at radar depth? Maybe the waves washed over the antennae? If you're on the surface, and your sub has much "roll" with the sea, your radar "focus" will change and you might be over-shooting where the ships are. How long of a period of time is your radar gone?

This issue always occurs,even if my boat is surface and no waves at sea. As soon as I start the boat, the radar loses contact.

Clean installed SH4,FOTRS v0.80 RC2,LAA,delete all saved files before installing.
VIIC1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 07:06 AM   #7352
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Thank you for the update VIIC1941. We'll see what some of the AI adjustments to the mod do for that.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 09:18 AM   #7353
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

June 1942 Fremantle. I’m assigned new sub Tambor from my old Sargo.
I had surface search radar and air search radar...now only air search, but no surface search.
Even with plenty points, i can’t even get one because nothing avalaible in base.
Normal?

Plus have same AA gun issue as on Sargo. No elevation possible!

PS: you guys have done excellent job with inside camera related to sub behavior!
The best ever i’ve Seen so far in any SH mega mod...
The tilting when diving (normal/crash dive) or surfacing (normal/blowing ballast) is perfect! Even in rough sea the moves are perfect. In any situation in fact!
That’s not the case in others SH, in my opinion.

Last edited by Fifi; 02-04-19 at 11:07 AM.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 09:30 AM   #7354
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Possible Issue with Armament

I started a career in an S Class boat out of Cavite/Manila, migrated as usual through Surabaya to Perth-Fremantle, received an upgrade, and then had the base change to Brisbane. My Sargo class boat still had a .50 Cal AA and a 3.5" deck gun. In early 1943 I was upgraded to the Balao. I have all the expected equipment, except that it has two .50 Cal AA guns and still have the 3.5" deck gun.

In all previous versions of careers I was always able to upgrade to at least the single 20mm AA gun and the 4.5" deck gun, usually even before getting the surface radar, but not this time. Neither is offered. This is the only career in which I was sent from Fremantle to Brisbane.

Is it because I am still in Brisbane?

Boat History:
USS S-23 (SS-128), starting from Manila 12/08/41 - Completed 4 Patrols, with base changes to Surabaya, then Perth-Fremantle, then Brisbane - no transfers requested.
USS Sturgeon (SS-187), starting from Brisbane, 9/2/42 - Completed 3 Patrols
USS Saury (SS-189), starting from Brisbane, 2/21/42 - Completed 3 Patrols
USS Balao (SS-285), starting from Brisbane, 7/11/43 - Completed 2 Patrols (so far)

No armament changes since 12/8/41 on any boat. Seems very strange.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 12:38 PM   #7355
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I started a career in an S Class boat out of Cavite/Manila, migrated as usual through Surabaya to Perth-Fremantle, received an upgrade, and then had the base change to Brisbane. My Sargo class boat still had a .50 Cal AA and a 3.5" deck gun. In early 1943 I was upgraded to the Balao. I have all the expected equipment, except that it has two .50 Cal AA guns and still have the 3.5" deck gun.

In all previous versions of careers I was always able to upgrade to at least the single 20mm AA gun and the 4.5" deck gun, usually even before getting the surface radar, but not this time. Neither is offered. This is the only career in which I was sent from Fremantle to Brisbane.

Boat History:
USS S-23 (SS-128), starting from Manila 12/08/41 - Completed 4 Patrols, with base changes to Surabaya, then Perth-Fremantle, then Brisbane - no transfers requested.
USS Balao (SS-285), starting from Brisbane, 7/11/43 - Completed 2 Patrols (so far)

Bait,
this mega seems to handle armament differently than other megas such as TMO, RSRD, TMOwTW, etc.
i have had the same experiences as you with the lack of upgrades in this area. THAT has caused me to take stock in the fact that i really do not want to be shooting it out on the surface with anything other than a fish or the errant crab boat.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 01:04 PM   #7356
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I may not have my radio tuned to that channel either... sorry - but, ID=290 gets you an "Insert Yellow Sea 01.mis", while ID=306 gets you "Insertion Commando Attu 02" (which shouldn't be in the ObjectiveCode listings), and ID=308 gets you "Insertion Commando Adak 02", which also shouldn't be active in the game. The game uses all kinds of "ID=" lines in the Save file, and I'd have to spend a couple of hours looking at the files to remember which is the "ID=" to use for the mission assignments... The PatrolObjectives.cfg file in FotRSU itself should have ID=1 through ID=337, numbered sequentially in order - of necessity for the game to work, so 337 mission listings, of which the last eight are commented out, for the old SubRon50 missions... If you are getting duplicates anywhere, it is not intentional, and it shouldn't be there... I think (therefore I am, I think)...
this is what i am referring to...from PatrolObjectives.upc
[Section 300]
ID=ID315
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Sink Kurile 01/Sink Kurile 01.mis
StartDate=19420101
EndDate=19450901

[Section 315]
ID=ID315
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Patrol Kuriles 06/Patrol Kuriles 06.mis
StartDate=19420608
EndDate=19450915

i believe that they (and their 12 brother-duplicates) are getting in each others way....once they are assigned by the Flotillas et.al. logic. the way it figures to work out is that the Flotilla-Objective-Date logic chooses an Objective "suggestion"...this one relates to me.
[Flotilla 7.UserPlayerUnitType 4.Objective 11]
ID= MI4Obj11
NameDisplayable= MidwayPC2
AvailabilityInterval=1943-05-01, NULL
ObjectiveCode= MidwayPC2

then it heads to the PatrolObjectives, matches the ObjectiveCode, and selects a MissionID, then inserts that into the CareerTrack.upc for CurrentMission....which remains static until the mission is completed or you are dead or retired or whatever. The problem arises when and if the player exits the game and reloads the savegame and the MissionID goes to the PatrolObjectives and performs a key-search for the FIRST OCCURRENCE of that MissionID. when there are dupes, there is the risk that the first match will not be the same actual mission as previously displayed in the SaveGame file because MISSIONID is the key that is stored.

i PM'd you a couple of weeks ago about this issue but i wasnt able to figure it out until it happened the second time.
in the first episode (PM) i was assigned
ID=ID311
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Patrol Kuriles 02/Patrol Kuriles 02.mis

i exited and reloaded and then i was presented with this mission instead
ID=ID311
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Sink Komandorski 01/Sink Komandorski 01.mis

because the Komandorski ID311 appears before the Kurile ID311 in the PatrolObjectives file.

the PatrolObjectives file is built into an internal table with ID as the key and when there are duplicate key, the logic selects the first match. classic bulls#it table coding. what should have happened is that when SH4 went through the table-build step, the code should have recognized the attempted (and wrong) use of duplicate key entries and terminated with an error message to fix the offending build file (PatrolObjectives). THAT would have caught the root cause of the problem. anyway, i digress.

does that explain the issue better?
remember this is a discussion/conversation...not an indictment or accusation. we are all on the same side here.

LAA enabled
Old 02-04-19, 03:33 PM   #7357
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post

Boat History:

I ran into the same thing about the Balao so I started doing some digging and reading. Many Balao started out with the 2 .50's plus the added armament.

Deck Gun: 1 3″/50-calibre, or 1 4″/50-calibre, or 1 5″/25-caliber
Anti-Aircraft Weapons: 1 or 2-20mm Oerlikons, or 2-40mm Bofors, or 1-20mm and 1-40mm
Light Weaponry: 6-mounting points for 30-caliber, 50-caliber, or combination
Torpedoes: 10-21″ torpedo tubes (6 bow, 4 stern); 24 Mark-14 torpedoes; Mark III Torpedo Data Computer
Engines: 4 GM-Winton V-16, or 4 Fairbanks-Morse 9 or 10-cylinder opposed-piston diesel/generator sets.
Motors: 4 DC high-speed electric motors, reduction gear drive, two per shaft, or 4 variable speed DC direct drive motors
Radar: Short range SD air detection radar; SJ surface search radar; ST periscope radar
Sonar: JP hydrophone, upper deck; JK/QC, QB Sonar under bow
Wartime Modifications: Enhanced electronics suites, radar, sonar.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Last edited by merc4ulfate; 02-04-19 at 03:48 PM.
merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 04:38 PM   #7358
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
this is what i am referring to...from PatrolObjectives.upc
[Section 300]
ID=ID315
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Sink Kurile 01/Sink Kurile 01.mis
StartDate=19420101
EndDate=19450901

[Section 315]
ID=ID315
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Patrol Kuriles 06/Patrol Kuriles 06.mis
StartDate=19420608
EndDate=19450915

i believe that they (and their 12 brother-duplicates) are getting in each others way....once they are assigned by the Flotillas et.al. logic. the way it figures to work out is that the Flotilla-Objective-Date logic chooses an Objective "suggestion"...this one relates to me.
[Flotilla 7.UserPlayerUnitType 4.Objective 11]
ID= MI4Obj11
NameDisplayable= MidwayPC2
AvailabilityInterval=1943-05-01, NULL
ObjectiveCode= MidwayPC2

then it heads to the PatrolObjectives, matches the ObjectiveCode, and selects a MissionID, then inserts that into the CareerTrack.upc for CurrentMission....which remains static until the mission is completed or you are dead or retired or whatever. The problem arises when and if the player exits the game and reloads the savegame and the MissionID goes to the PatrolObjectives and performs a key-search for the FIRST OCCURRENCE of that MissionID. when there are dupes, there is the risk that the first match will not be the same actual mission as previously displayed in the SaveGame file because MISSIONID is the key that is stored.

i PM'd you a couple of weeks ago about this issue but i wasnt able to figure it out until it happened the second time.
in the first episode (PM) i was assigned
ID=ID311
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Patrol Kuriles 02/Patrol Kuriles 02.mis

i exited and reloaded and then i was presented with this mission instead
ID=ID311
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Sink Komandorski 01/Sink Komandorski 01.mis

because the Komandorski ID311 appears before the Kurile ID311 in the PatrolObjectives file.

the PatrolObjectives file is built into an internal table with ID as the key and when there are duplicate key, the logic selects the first match. classic bulls#it table coding. what should have happened is that when SH4 went through the table-build step, the code should have recognized the attempted (and wrong) use of duplicate key entries and terminated with an error message to fix the offending build file (PatrolObjectives). THAT would have caught the root cause of the problem. anyway, i digress.

does that explain the issue better?
remember this is a discussion/conversation...not an indictment or accusation. we are all on the same side here.
By jove - I think I got it (finally) - but to top it all off, I do believe ~YOU~ got it, and found a sneaky problem with the mod. This is similar to what Front Runner found with the "Base Time" - and "yes" both issues can cause troubles of undesirable proportions. First thing that comes to mind with this ID= stuff, is a CTD... such as has been experienced by several folks. It would depend upon the number of patrols, and where they have already been sent... I did find similar in the DynamicMiss.cfg file, so I've got a little more to go through that file with, and we'll then have PatrolObjectives and DynamicMiss both with "unique" ID numberings that are also sequential. What it looks like happened in both cases was a state of confusion with the modder ( ) during the renumbering process after moving some of the missions to other parts of the same file... - Thanks for the detective work there KaleunMarco!

Old 02-04-19, 06:05 PM   #7359
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
June 1942 Fremantle. I’m assigned new sub Tambor from my old Sargo.
Plus have same AA gun issue as on Sargo. No elevation possible!

Fifi....i can confirm that the 50 cal on my Gato performs the same way: it rotates but will not elevate.
so, time to dive when the planes arrive.

LAA enabled
Old 02-04-19, 06:09 PM   #7360
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
What it looks like happened in both cases was a state of confusion with the modder ( ) during the renumbering process after moving some of the missions to other parts of the same file... -

i agree. if you need some help renumbering the dupes, i can do that. just need a place to drop the repaired PatrolObjectives file. PM me

as far as detecting goes, hey...i just play, man, and these things find me.

LAA enabled
Old 02-04-19, 07:33 PM   #7361
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Fifi....i can confirm that the 50 cal on my Gato performs the same way: it rotates but will not elevate.
so, time to dive when the planes arrive.
I just got a Tench and the weapons do not change. Still has the 3" deck gun and the .50cal no Oerlikons, or Bofors.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 08:00 PM   #7362
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
Six MK14s, set to run at 18 feet, run beneath an Ada Maru Old Freighter. Recognition manual has the draft of that boat as 25.9 feet.

3 min video link:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/280617171
yes, that is one ship where there is a discrepancy between the draft in the shipname.cfg and the draft in the shipname.sim. the CFG is the actual draft in SH4 and the draft in the SIM file is used by the auto-targeting to set the depth of the torpedo.
this the reason that our torpedos run deep.

i found these two previously and reported it here but i cannot find the post. my apologies.
NKMSS_Aden
NKMSS_Ada

here are three more that i encountered on my last career-mission:
ship cfg sim

CVS_Chitose 7.5m 15m

NPS_Tyohei 4.6m 7.5m

CVE_Taiho 9.5m 25m

you can make copies of the related files and match the drafts or change the torpedo depth every time you shoot at one.
good luck.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU_80\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.80_RC1_PublicBe ta_EN
101_SubEngineSounds_v2

LAA enabled
Old 02-04-19, 08:51 PM   #7363
propbeanie

Corrections forthcoming to most of what you guys are mentioning. Other than the 50 cal AA gun. Are you guys encountering the failure to elevate on the early war conning towers? The full-size beasts, with the covered bridge and high sides on the cigarette deck?

As for the Balao and Tench, those are currently set to be able to be given early in the game, and as such will show with "old" gear. You lose your radar and other items on any new boat "upgrades" that you get, but the gear does eventually show up again. The way CapnScurvy has it set up now is due to the earlier reports of issues with the upgrade process not working correctly in previous version. One of the main problems with the guns is getting a new gun, but the player not crewing it prior to leaving on patrol. You would sometimes then lose the ability to crew the gun at all, and maybe the gun on the next boat. The way it is now, you will not encounter that problem, which also eliminated (near as testing could tell) issues with the deck gun swapping places on upgrades, and losing the crew spots for it... We might try to re-enable some of that, but I dunno... This is one of those "game quirks" areas we were hoping that meticulous date-checking would "fix". It reduced the issues, but did not eliminate them.

Old 02-05-19, 04:26 AM   #7364
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Ok, will test it soon even if i’m Not that familiar with SH4 campaigns.
Of the 3 Silent hunter, that’s the one i spent less time on it...but it should be addressed now, as FOTRSU is a lot more entertaining than TMO to me (mainly because of the « life » everywhere)
Old 02-05-19, 08:42 AM   #7365
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
I just got a Tench and the weapons do not change. Still has the 3" deck gun and the .50cal no Oerlikons, or Bofors.
Ditto! Also, after 6 missions on this boat out of PH going to the same “star”, Onhotsk(sic) I quit this campaign!