SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-15-17, 05:25 AM   #4711
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Got a new one, to me anyway. S-Class out of Manila 1941. I gots radar!~

It doesn't show on my equipment screen in port, but as soon as I am in the water, I have radar.

Clean install from the cd.

I just have some visual mods, like bigger protractors or strategic map icons. Everything was fine in the previous version.
Old 06-15-17, 06:12 AM   #4712
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

The SD radar, which you can turn on and off with the old "Raise / Lower Antenna" button. The <T> and <Alt><T> used to turn them on & off, type-dependent, but I don't have my computer here to double-check that...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 06:39 AM   #4713
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The SD radar, which you can turn on and off with the old "Raise / Lower Antenna" button. The <T> and <Alt><T> used to turn them on & off, type-dependent, but I don't have my computer here to double-check that...
This was the SJ radar, PPI, the whole shabang!~
Old 06-15-17, 06:41 AM   #4714
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
Did I miss something? I have 61 loaded now but the splash screen says 60 is loaded. Double checked with JSGME and it says 61.
Caught! You're right, I turned that puppy around so quickly I forgot to edit the load screen! I'll fix it today.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 06:46 AM   #4715
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
In order to get the opening graphic the way it is, the "Introl_logo_elem.dds" file isn't used, else there wouldn't be any "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate" text in there where it is... Therefore, the background picture itself has to be hand-edited in a photoshop-type app each time.
You mean a GIMP-like application! Actually there are even a couple of Linux apps which will directly edit a .dds file without filters! But I generally use GIMP so I can do most anything Photoshop will do, except for extracting $700 from my pocket....... Linux for the win!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 07:02 AM   #4716
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
You mean a GIMP-like application! Actually there are even a couple of Linux apps which will directly edit a .dds file without filters! But I generally use GIMP so I can do most anything Photoshop will do, except for extracting $700 from my pocket....... Linux for the win!
Well, that's the "old" cost of doing business with Adobe... - it's now like $50 a month ($600 a year), or $350 by the year, in subscription "fees"... but we'll not go there now...

Old 06-15-17, 08:03 AM   #4717
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
torpedobait, how did you do the v0.60 / 61 update? I left my "work-in-progress" mods on the one computer, and it's got issues. The other one, I did a "clean" install (did not re-do SH4, just deleted the Save folder and cleaned out the MODS folder). Both computers, I do have Sonar issues. On the one, I've got sound issues, the other I do not.

I'm not sure when the crew not identifying a ship happened, or if it was even in there to begin with... my brain: "too much information!"...

The TC not changing after your editing of the file might be because of the Save folder - again... There are a lot of changes between the 56 & 60 versions, and the Save folder is NOT compatible between them. Then again, there might be another setting that the Capn or someone else would have to let us know about.

As to the volume level, both of my computers practically ~blast~ me out of the chair. Double-check your windows mixer versus the sound card's (if they are separate), and maybe try another mod install, with a clean Save folder. Let us know if anything changes. In the meantime, I'll check for the engine sounds being backwards on mine...

I'm going to do to my other computer what I should have done to begin with (throw it out the window, you say? - no), and that's a "freshen-up" of the game for the v0.61 mod...
Here's how I got to v0.61: I deleted the entire SH4 folder from My Documents, then deleted the entire Silent_Hunter_4 folder from C:\Games\Ubisoft. I then copied my pristine v1.5 Silent_Hunter-4 folder, which has no changes to the original v1.3 except being patched first to v1.4 and then to v1.5 over to the C:\Games|Ubisoft folder. Next I unzipped the downloaded beta v0.61 into the MODS folder, and applied it with JSGME. I have no other mods added.

I then started a new career using the same parameters as I did under v0.60, an Asiatic Fleet start in a Sargo Class boat, USS Seadragon. My first patrol took me to the edge of Lingayen Gulf (Area A-1 I think), where I encountered an IJN TF on 12/11. The target ID caret would show on long range targets, but to get the caret marked on shorter ranges (under 1500 yards or so) I had to first Lock the target to engage the auto targeting, and then unlock it, reset the torpedo run depth, and fire before the caret disappeared. Using the auto targeting required the target be marked (identified, tracked, etc.) or else the torpedo just goes to wherever the crosshairs are pointing at the instant of firing.

I will say this in defense of the product, after claiming a Kongo (thanks for the patch, btw) and three DDs, I made it back to Manila for rearming and returned to Lingayen Gulf. There I found the invasion fleet, consisting of three Mogami class CAs, untold numbers of DDs, and about 10 small passenger (troop carrying) ships. The target marking process seemed to work much better then, although there is a pretty long delay in obtaining a fix on closer targets. For example, I easily got a target mark (caret) on a Mogami that was 2300 yards out, but a DD passing within 600 yards required the Lock-Unlock-reset depth process in order to engage the auto targeting mechanisms. I think that while not exactly crying wolf, the process does seem to be working, just not like it was before v0.60. I'm hoping that is just me, so please don't waste time on it, at least for now!

I don't know what to do about the sound issues (Periscope and Fire at Will). None of these issues are the result of using a Save Game. Before loading either v0.60 or v0.61 I totally deleted the SH4 folder in My Documents, including all sub folders (Data, CFG, Rich Saves, etc.) so I don't see how that could be a factor. The sounds play on my system for all other situations, including the dive sequence, course setting, rudder and speed commands, and Battle Stations. But not when raising or lowering the periscope! Very strange. I suppose I can check with Creative to see if there are new drivers for my Sound Blaster Z. But I don't see how it can work for 98% of the game's sounds but not that one.

Thanks for listening! I know I tend to rattle on, but I'm trying to give as much info as possible to help the analysis on your end.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 08:08 AM   #4718
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I also noticed that when the multiple "fire at will" acknowledgements were removed, it also removed even the single response.
By "single response" I meant a vocal sound response. That is no longer there, although the text response "Firing at will" does show in the text box.

Old 06-15-17, 08:32 AM   #4719
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
As to the volume level, both of my computers practically ~blast~ me out of the chair. Double-check your windows mixer versus the sound card's (if they are separate), and maybe try another mod install, with a clean Save folder. Let us know if anything changes. In the meantime, I'll check for the engine sounds being backwards on mine...

I'm going to do to my other computer what I should have done to begin with (throw it out the window, you say? - no), and that's a "freshen-up" of the game for the v0.61 mod...
Ok, I got into the Creative folder and ran some checks. I did find one speaker (front, left) that was turned way down. So after rebalancing the speakers, and getting uniform sound tests on all speakers (I have four plus a subwoofer), and need to set it to 5.1 Surround to get all four to work.

The test results were sort of like yours - blew me out of my chair! I reset the sound level to something that didn't scare the dogs, and all was good.

SO I started the game, loaded the start of the second mission, still in the office, got a mission to patrol area A2, and launched the mission. I immediately went to the periscope and hit the raise button. No joy - no sound, either raising or lowering, whether from the button on the command line or from the keyboard (Ctl+PageUp). So now I'm back to where my speakers and sound card appear to be fully functional and produce appropriate sounds for all commands, etc. except raising or lowering the periscope, and the missing "Fire at Will" acknowledgement.

I should have said that I first encountered the periscope sound issue in v0.60, so it is not new with v0.61. The Fire At Will acknowledgement came from one of the updates to eliminate multiple responses - don't remember which one that was. Hope this helps.

Old 06-15-17, 08:50 AM   #4720
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait
I don't know what to do about the sound issues (Periscope and Fire at Will). None of these issues are the result of using a Save Game. Before loading either v0.60 or v0.61 I totally deleted the SH4 folder in My Documents, including all sub folders (Data, CFG, Rich Saves, etc.) so I don't see how that could be a factor. The sounds play on my system for all other situations, including the dive sequence, course setting, rudder and speed commands, and Battle Stations. But not when raising or lowering the periscope!
You're using a Sargo, at an Asiatic Fleet start date? 1942?

I just finished a "Beginning of 1942" Asiatic Fleet, with a Sargo, and both periscopes had their raise/lower sound.

Can you open your MODS/100_Fallofthe RisingSun_Ultimate v0.60 PublicBeta_EN mod and follow to the Data/Sound folder and play the .wav file named "periscope_UpDown.wav"? The sound should run for about 9 seconds.

If you have your v0.60 "Activated" into your SH4 game, go ahead and follow the same path in your SH4 game files to the "Sound" folder and play the same periscope_UpDown.wav file (just left mouse clicking it should bring up your .wav player)........... Anything?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 09:58 AM   #4721
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

I uninstalled SH4.. Deleted SH4 in document folder ... Then Run CCLeaner (important this I think!! CCleaner find other files!! )
Then reinstall SH4
Then add Fotrs 0.61
And sound good... Really good..no just sound... No one problem for identify ship for example....
I think better new installation ... Many problems solved so
...forgive for my bad English...
But hope this can help many players
Old 06-15-17, 10:35 AM   #4722
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix View Post
Got a new one, to me anyway. S-Class out of Manila 1941. I gots radar!
Yep confirmed!!

Enjoy it while you can....correction coming.

============

Thanks hauangua for the idea of cleaning out previous loaded files with an added program like CCleaner. Can't hurt!!

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 06-15-17, 10:55 AM   #4723
propbeanie

Thanks for that hauangua, but we really shouldn't be having to jump through hoops to that extent to install the update... I hope...

Torpedobait, you mention "Creative" for your sound, are your speaker Creative also, and work "with" the sound card for effects? I do not recall off the top of my head the models we had for testing years ago, but there are settings in some of those Creative cards' interfaces for setting your 4.1 or 5.1 up for 2x "stereo" emulation, which is what SH4 is, of course... The Creative interface will still split the low end off for the sub though... I've got an older SB Audigy (2?? - it can supposedly do 7.1 and has digital I/O) in this computer with a really old Logitech 2.1 set-up, and I have issues every now and then with some games through this set-up, just not in SH4 (that I've noticed). The Creative interface for this has "Game Settings" that I can Save though for recall later with a couple of button clicks to have sound set-up for a particular game. I'm going to hazard a guess, and that you "sound" to be very familiar (sorry, bad pun) with the interface, and have gone through all of the tabs for it...

Here's something else... the periscope sound is a "mono" file, one channel, that when it goes through the SH.SDL file, goes through a "3D emulator", if you will, for that "stereo" effect as you turn your head. If I'm remembering correctly, the engine noises do also... I'm no where near my computer (on an irritating tablet thingie), but if you're familiar with opening SH.SDL, look through there and see if the "3D" tick box is checked on the sounds that you're having issue with (other than the voice files).

Old 06-15-17, 01:24 PM   #4724
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
I uninstalled SH4.. Deleted SH4 in document folder ... Then Run CCLeaner (important this I think!! CCleaner find other files!! )
I love CCleaner, use it daily, and have the Pro version because it is so useful. The developers deserved a few bucks $$ anyway.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-17, 08:39 AM   #4725
CapnScurvy
Admiral

A "Fix" is coming for the Sonar/Hydrophones, plus having the S-Class Radar at the correct time, we're trying it out now.

Quote: