SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-18-12, 08:11 PM   #91
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

This show sounds like the storys improving, but the realism still sucks.
Old 10-19-12, 12:44 AM   #92
Malakie
Bosun

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye T. Bai View Post
Episode was enjoyable. I liked the drama, especially the dialogue between the sailors, and the tensions between the SEALs. The standoff at the conn was nice too.

Next episode, the newly-minted SECDEF comes to the island to meet with SSBN-753's wardroom; with a full complement of Marines with him. Lookin' forward to that.
I agree. I liked this episode as well. In fact I noticed a change in some smaller things.. One big one that caught my attention was something the Captain said... What he said is true and how I personally feel..

I personally often remind people that when I joined the United States Navy I took an oath. What most people 'think'; what most TV shows or movies say; and what most Americans even those still serving do not realize is that the oath we took does not say anything about protecting or defending the government of this country nor even the presidency.

My oath that I took and still abide by now states that "I will protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against ALL enemies foreign AND DOMESTIC....". The show got this exactly right which is rare.

And in the show tonight, the Captain pointed that out very clearly. Sometimes in conversation I have commented about how I very much do not like the path our government is taking nor the underhanded laws and changes being passed eroding our constitutional rights. And invariably I get someone that says "yea but you took an oath in the military so you and every one else will do the governments bidding and we civilians won't have a chance..."

Not true. Myself and many of my friends included point out our oath and what it truly says and means. I WILL defend our way of life and our Constitutional rights. But I will be damned if I will do the same for a government that is not for the people, by the people and that removes the rights of the people.

And that is why I have also said were this Captain my Captain and the circumstances were this, I would stand with him 100% because in this scenario, fictitious as it is, he is RIGHT and doing exactly what any honorable military service member and or Veteran would do.

About the only thing I feel awkward about is saluting the U.S. Flag in civvies... still feels a bit weird..

Malakie

United States Navy Service Connected Disabled Veteran.
"A nation that forgets its veterans will itself soon be forgotten", Abraham Lincoln.

Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-12, 12:08 PM   #93
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye T. Bai View Post
Episode was enjoyable. I liked the drama, especially the dialogue between the sailors, and the tensions between the SEALs. The standoff at the conn was nice too.

Next episode, the newly-minted SECDEF comes to the island to meet with SSBN-753's wardroom; with a full complement of Marines with him. Lookin' forward to that.

First time I watched the show when it came on at 8pm pst.
I usually record it on my Dish Hopper DVR then watch the show the next day without the commercials,
but last night I turned up the sound and stayed the whole course.

I too enjoyed the seal team conflict and the island girl bartender romance. The washington scene was great too with that girl getting mad at being called a traitor.

The next show with the new secretary of defense making a play for the sub back looks good enough to stay tuned.

I give it three stars for sure ... plus all the new teen submarine recruits out there watching the show can't hurt the Navy.

I fell in love with submarines back in 1956 watcking the old black and white tv show "Silent Service"

Romance has to start somewhere and I can vounch for one thing everyone I served with was in love with submarines. lol
Old 10-19-12, 08:18 PM   #94
Malakie
Bosun

Downloads: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetrue View Post
First time I watched the show when it came on at 8pm pst.
I usually record it on my Dish Hopper DVR then watch the show the next day without the commercials,
but last night I turned up the sound and stayed the whole course.

I too enjoyed the seal team conflict and the island girl bartender romance. The washington scene was great too with that girl getting mad at being called a traitor.

The next show with the new secretary of defense making a play for the sub back looks good enough to stay tuned.

I give it three stars for sure ... plus all the new teen submarine recruits out there watching the show can't hurt the Navy.

I fell in love with submarines back in 1956 watcking the old black and white tv show "Silent Service"

Romance has to start somewhere and I can vounch for one thing everyone I served with was in love with submarines. lol
There was one point in the show that I thought was strange... Everyone was all up in arms about the nuclear missile that missed Washington.. But NO ONE was upset at all that Pakistan had been nuked! LOL

And with that there was the one larger mistake of this episode.. They are trying to say that the Colorado fired two nukes at Pakistan. Problem is twofold with that...

First, Every major country can EASILY pinpoint where the actual nuke was launched from. The fact the U.S. was trying to bomb a specific point on the map that the world now knew Colorado was parked and that the point of the launch was no where near that should raise eyebrows. Russia, England, France, China, Israel... they would all have that capability.

And second, All Colorado need to do to blow this wide open is have the Swiss or some other neutral come in and see how many nukes they still have in the pipes, not to mention interview the entire crew for verification on what they fired.

But that is just me nitpicking for a moment.. I look forward to seeing next week as well... Will the SEAL team back up the Colorado..... or not?

Malakie

United States Navy Service Connected Disabled Veteran.
"A nation that forgets its veterans will itself soon be forgotten", Abraham Lincoln.

Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 01:54 AM   #95
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

Good episode this time around; SSBN-753 "squares off" against a Virginia-class SSN and an L.A.-class SSN.

Although I was willing to give the COB the benefit of the doubt early on in the series, his blatant disrespect to a department head is a little annoying now. But, I'm sure he has his reasons.

New episode in two weeks.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 04:39 AM   #96
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I like how they show all the subs sailing around within 100 feet of each other, that means they are fighting.

Best line of the episode: "I know you can see our doors are open with your satellites."
Old 10-26-12, 09:56 AM   #97
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I like how they show all the subs sailing around within 100 feet of each other, that means they are fighting.
That cracked me up too. Maybe they were getting in range to use grapeshot.

EDIT: What what I found ridiculous was the whole emergency blow thing. The boat is at flank with a 30-degree up angle and she orders emergency blow. She then orders the blow 'reversed' and the boat magically ends up stationary at launch depth without broaching. That Ohio handles like a sports car.

Last edited by Takeda Shingen; 10-26-12 at 10:09 AM.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 12:15 PM   #98
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

God help me...it's crossed the Atlantic! Saw an advert for it on Sky yesterday.

"Man Battle stations for Anti-submarine warfare!"
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 07:06 PM   #99
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

You guys may be knocking it, but I notice your watching it too

Getting way better with the Admiral taking out the female negotionater to save his daughter on the conn of the USS Colorado and after she saves the boat the crew salutes her.

Good acting, good writing, very enjoyable to this old salt ...

Hope the captain gets his day in court ...

If I was on the other crew that stayed behind (Gold or Blue crew)
I would find a way to get to that island and back them up on sonar
Old 10-27-12, 11:17 PM   #100
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Yeah, I'm watching it, it's always good for a few laughs.
Old 10-28-12, 09:26 AM   #101
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Same here. I'm having a good time pointing out the gaffes.
Old 11-08-12, 01:33 PM   #102
Red Brow
A-ganger

Downloads: 0
Default I collect old US Sub movies

I collect old US Sub movies. Beginning with Frank Capra's 1928 silent movie called 'Submarine' we see some drama/action scenes that became standard in such films by WWII. One that became standard was the 'ole torpedo rolls off it's torpedo-rack routine' that would crush a torpedo man. This usually follows some heavy jarring of the sub, such as a collision with a ship or a Japanese depth charge attack. Another routine was an intense conflict between seamen - in the case of Capra's film it was a love triangle between one of the sub's officers and his buddy who was a naval ship salvage expert.

In the early WWII movie 'Crash Dive' these routines were fleshed out further. Not only did the torpedo roll off its rack to crush a sailor, but when the captain went below to check it out he was injured in the head and was knocked out for sometime. The love triangle was intensified by having both suiters for the ladies hand in marriage brought into the same submarine as the Captain and his 2nd in command, a 'conflict team' that would even make a very slight appearance in Das Boot, and would become standard in nearly all American sub movies right up until Crimson Tide. In 'Hunt for Red October' the CIA company man Jack Ryan would come aboard the Dallas to take the roll of the Captain's opponent at least for a short stint.

This second movie would really establish several other needed formula scenes, such as a sub going to the bottom of the deep ocean, but only encountering perhaps 200 feet of water depth. Of course this was all portrayed in what looked like large aquariums or fish tanks. 'Crash Dive' also established the sub-movie tradition of an officer or captain that was wounded and left on deck as the sub submerged in a crash dive. Here too was established the said man's seeming last words: "Take her down! Take her down! (i.e. forget me)" This same formula even appears decades later in the movie U-571, though there the captain is about to drown in the ocean and is yelling his commands for his second in command to submerge the hijacked U-boat.

Another formula scene that developed later during WWII was the transformation of the 'love triangle conflict' into one about how the captain would not allow his second in command to be given his own sub until he either grew up or learned how to sacrifice his men when the action called for it. This reappears in U-571.

If you want a movie about a WWII sub that avoids all these formulas, watch 'Submarine Attack' about an Italian sub that sinks a Danish freighter.
Red Brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 03:21 PM   #103
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

You know your material,nice analysis
Old 11-08-12, 05:09 PM   #104
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Also, Red Brow...
WELCOME
TO
SUBSIM!
Old 11-08-12, 08:32 PM   #105
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Is it just me, or are these episodes getting shorter? So far I've counted three commercial breaks in the first 30 minutes, and one of them was almost 4 minutes long.