SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-29-07, 11:32 AM   #181
panthercules
The Old Man

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsc_tdp

For you customizers, the only existing CSVs that were altered is key_codes.csv, with two new ones added at the top.
THANK YOU for adding this ".csv change log" type comment This would be tremendously helpful to point this out as you pump out each of your new versions. Makes it much easier for those of us with tweaked .csv files to follow the upgrade path and take advantage of all the cool stuff you keep putting in these things.

Keep 'em coming
Old 08-29-07, 12:54 PM   #182
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

And thanks so much for the push to talk button. YAY! No more solar bound torpedoes!

Seriously, though, I wish I could get it to recognize the middle mouse button as a key. I tried using the virtual key code for it (0x04), but it doesn't work. Solved the prob by mapping the middle mouse button to a key with my mouse drivers, but sometimes that doesn't always work so well when the game's running.

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 01:59 PM   #183
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
And thanks so much for the push to talk button. YAY! No more solar bound torpedoes!

Seriously, though, I wish I could get it to recognize the middle mouse button as a key. I tried using the virtual key code for it (0x04), but it doesn't work. Solved the prob by mapping the middle mouse button to a key with my mouse drivers, but sometimes that doesn't always work so well when the game's running.
Just posted 2.21 which might fix this by looking at the key down state differently.

Also the version number link in my sig will go straight to the zip now. v2.21

Last edited by minsc_tdp; 08-29-07 at 02:44 PM.
minsc_tdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 03:11 PM   #184
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Just posted 2.21 which might fix this by looking at the key down state differently.

Also the version number link in my sig will go straight to the zip now. v2.21
Jeez, if I'd had employees as efficient as you are when I was an employer, I could have taken vacations! Thanks

Edit : Be careful how efficient you are, or we'll start expecting instant upgrades before we even finish posting.
Efficient and accurate. Works like a charm without having to define a keymap with the mouse drivers!

Last edited by Digital_Trucker; 08-29-07 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-29-07, 03:48 PM   #185
minsc_tdp
XO

Quote:
Edit : Be careful how efficient you are, or we'll start expecting instant upgrades before we even finish posting.
It helps to not have a girlfriend or a life, and extra free time at the office now and again.
Old 08-29-07, 07:42 PM   #186
GhengasCon
Swabbie

Downloads: 238

Hmmmm....No girlfriend....no wife.....no life.....your sounding like a country music song...Hey!!!...You aren't fixn' to kill yourself or something are you? Then we wouldn't be able to get all the cool stuff you make for us... Well, here is some therepy....WE will be your friends! We will continue to reap the fruits of your labor as any good friends would do ..( much like drinking your beer without asking or paying you back)
You can thank us later by making more stuff
"ding"..oops...therepy time over...time for you to get back to work...

..BTW....now that there is no need for Perl or Python, would it be wise or unwise to delete these from my computer?? They are probably very good tools for someone who knows how to use them or at least would know what exactly they do. ( for me having them is probably much like a 3yr.old in possesion of a slide rule )
Am I right in assuming that by deleting them I would not be hurting anything as far as the sh4speech or any other program is concerned?

GhengasCon
GhengasCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 09:03 PM   #187
minsc_tdp
XO

Yeah you can uninstall Perl/Python completely if you want. I've tested it on systems that have never had them and it worked fine.

Those languages are a lot easier to learn than you might think. Spend 15 minutes looking at the documentation, start at the beginning and try to learn a little. You'd be surprised, you might even find yourself modding my code instead of just my CSV files.
Old 08-30-07, 06:13 PM   #188
minsc_tdp
XO

Wow, 24 hours without a release... must be pretty stable
Old 08-30-07, 08:16 PM   #189
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Default Not meaning to get picky here...........

But isn't using the word "useless" and the phrase "for no reason" in the same signature doubly redundant?:rotfl: Besides, I like exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please forgive the extraneous post, but I really need to get rid of that squinty eyed guy with the "deer in the headlights" expression over there under my nick.

Old 08-31-07, 01:04 PM   #190
minsc_tdp
XO

Default salvos

(You don't like your icon? It's better than my guy who looks like he's standing out in the rain waiting for the bus, thinking about shooting his boss when he gets to the office - and it's not even raining) (aww I'm japanese now)

I'm thinking about adding voice ordered salvos, would be done something like this:

"prepare a salvo"
"fore tubes: 5 shots"
"tube one"
"tube three"
"tube four"
"tube five"
"tube six"
"spread angle 2 degrees" (note lack of left/right)
"fire salvo!" or "abort salvo"

The tubes would rapidfire with the following spread angles:

Tube one: 0 degrees
Tube three: 2 degrees left
Tube four: 2 degrees right
Tube five: 4 degrees left
Tube six: 4 degrees right

Due to the multi-command nature of this, I need to add some kind of audible confirmation during the individual steps.

What do y'all think?

Last edited by minsc_tdp; 08-31-07 at 04:10 PM.
minsc_tdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 02:21 PM   #191
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

me likey!

Old 08-31-07, 05:15 PM   #192
panthercules
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

Quote:
(You don't like your icon? It's better than my guy who looks like he's standing out in the rain waiting for the bus, thinking about shooting his boss when he gets to the office - and it's not even raining) (aww I'm japanese now)

I'm thinking about adding voice ordered salvos, would be done something like this:

"prepare a salvo"
"fore tubes: 5 shots"
"tube one"
"tube three"
"tube four"
"tube five"
"tube six"
"spread angle 2 degrees" (note lack of left/right)
"fire salvo!" or "abort salvo"

The tubes would rapidfire with the following spread angles:

Tube one: 0 degrees
Tube three: 2 degrees left
Tube four: 2 degrees right
Tube five: 4 degrees left
Tube six: 4 degrees right

Due to the multi-command nature of this, I need to add some kind of audible confirmation during the individual steps.

What do y'all think?
Great idea - looking forward to it
Old 09-02-07, 04:20 AM   #193
minsc_tdp
XO

Default hooray for Cpt. Crunch!

After fiddling with the game but never playing, waiting around for, what was it, 5 months for patch 1.3, floundering to figure out how to manually target torpedoes, and then getting distracted for another month writing sh4speech, I've finally completed an actual patrol, the first of my career, ever, in SH4. I'm so proud of my boys. *sniff*

Capt. Crunch showed bravery in the face of several unarmed merchant ships which took twice as many torpedoes to sink as a saltier captain's might have. Fortunately, Capt. Crunch had the knowledge and the good sense to liberally use the "load game" feature to keep doing shot after shot until all torpedoes hit. Yes, Capt. Crunch is one of those types of captains. If he's going to go to sea for 2 weeks with only 15 shots or so, they're all going to count.

The first two sinkings were lone merchants, smaller vessels under 2000 tons. A third and fourth were a pair of lone merchants, which was trickier given Capt. Crunch's horrible experience with manual targeting, and having to adjust the second shot for how he's going to react to seeing his buddy in flames a few hundred feet behind him. It only took about 10 tries to get this right and Capt. Crunch learned a lot about the manual targeting and spread angle.

The last sinking was a heavier 8K ton merchant in the middle of a convoy. It was risky since I was low on torpedoes. It took four shots, two of which had to be sent from the aft after spinning around and doing so under the noses of destroyers. Capt. Crunch had the guts to raise his periscope mere feet from the hunting DDs, knowing he could get his shot off since the damaged merchant wasn't moving. Two shots were gone in less than 30 seconds and she finally went down. Capt. Crunch hightailed it out of there faster than Count Chocula after the sun rises. A few depth charges were dropped here and there but they were way off. Capt. Crunch CANNOT be detected (until he crunches on his cereal! But it was silent running and that's not allowed!)

My secret agent (Tony the Tiger) was inserted succesfully to infiltrate Kelloggs, or whatever the hell his mission was, and I limped home with barely any fuel, getting there with 3% fuel remaining.

So, I used the voice the whole time obviously, and must admit, using the attack map to cheat your shots can take quite a bit of the experience away. But I get more annoyed when I miss. But I would find myself repeating "attack map" and "attack scope" to make those constant adjustments. I also found that I preferred to adjust the TDC settings (Stadimeter, AOB, and Target Speed) by hand. Not only does it feel more real, it's a bit quicker for those rapid adjustments. But I used voice for absolutely everything else and it was great. After a while, you get to learn which ones don't require the mouse, and you can multitask - call out one command that you know uses a key while clicking something else with the mouse.

Honestly I don't know how anyone plays the game with manual targeting without using the attack map to cheat. The stadimeter is all over the place with every reading. Speed estimates are hard. Maybe I just suck. But auto-solutions are too easy. A nice compromise would be a weapons officer that determines three solutions - a quick one (least accurate), a decent one, and a highly accurate one (takes longer). So you manage keeping the ship undetected and out of trouble while determining how long you can afford to refine the shot. The fact that you can instantly lock and get an instant, perfect solution that immediately tells you how good it is is too easy, but manual targeting is a bit too hard. Yeah, I do just suck. I have to admit the later shots got easier with practice.

Anyway, I feel great that I actually completed a damn patrol after more than 6 months of having this game, and Capt. Crunch's career is well on his way to glory. Silent Hunter 4 is part of this nutritious breakfast.
Old 09-02-07, 09:32 AM   #194
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Default Kewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwl.........

Congratulations Captain Crunch. I'm glad to hear that Tony was inserted in good shape, but you never told us about the adventures of Ensign Fruit Loops. Maybe that's the next tale?

Old 09-02-07, 03:28 PM   #195
minsc_tdp
XO

Quote:
Congratulations Captain Crunch. I'm glad to hear that Tony was inserted in good shape, but you never told us about the adventures of Ensign Fruit Loops. Maybe that's the next tale?
I'm not sure why you had to bring that up. It's a well known fact that Ensign Fruit Loops is a member of my crew and died in a diesel fuel related accident during sea trials. He will be missed.