SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-31-20, 11:19 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Clarity on how to install LAA

Hello,

forgive me but looking for step by step clarity on how to install Large Address Aware for FOTRS. Anyone ? I found some threads but confused.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 09:13 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

LAA is just another 4 gig patch applet, and all it does is alter the header bit in the SH4.exe file that then shows to Windows that the game is able to address memory properly, which is known as making the exe "Large Address Aware". The differences between the various apps just has to do with their respective front-ends, and what they are written with. If you see LAA netFramework, it uses the newer netFramework dll calls, instead of the "traditional" Windows API calls. So no matter the program, they all accomplish the same thing.

Specifically at LAA, the default interface when it first loads is "Basic", which is fine. There is a write-up in the FotRSU Support folder in the "Install Notes For the Various Versions of SH4 in Windows.pdf" file, starting on Page 10, with pictures (I like pictures... ) on Page 11. The 'basic' idea is to click on that ellipse box [...] under "Step 1: Select an executable", and browse to the proper folder to select the proper "SH4.exe" file. That should then fill in the Step 1 box, and activate the "Step 2: Large Adress Aware flag", which if it is empty, click in the little box to put a check-mark in there. If there is already a check-mark in there, leave it. Once that is finished, then "Step 3: Commit Changes" and the "Save" button become active. Hit the "Save" button, then click on the little "X" icon in the upper-right corner to close the dialog, and you should be good to go! Windows does the rest (that's not scary).

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 11:47 AM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
LAA is just another 4 gig patch applet, and all it does is alter the header bit in the SH4.exe file that then shows to Windows that the game is able to address memory properly, which is known as making the exe "Large Address Aware". The differences between the various apps just has to do with their respective front-ends, and what they are written with. If you see LAA netFramework, it uses the newer netFramework dll calls, instead of the "traditional" Windows API calls. So no matter the program, they all accomplish the same thing.

Specifically at LAA, the default interface when it first loads is "Basic", which is fine. There is a write-up in the FotRSU Support folder in the "Install Notes For the Various Versions of SH4 in Windows.pdf" file, starting on Page 10, with pictures (I like pictures... ) on Page 11. The 'basic' idea is to click on that ellipse box [...] under "Step 1: Select an executable", and browse to the proper folder to select the proper "SH4.exe" file. That should then fill in the Step 1 box, and activate the "Step 2: Large Adress Aware flag", which if it is empty, click in the little box to put a check-mark in there. If there is already a check-mark in there, leave it. Once that is finished, then "Step 3: Commit Changes" and the "Save" button become active. Hit the "Save" button, then click on the little "X" icon in the upper-right corner to close the dialog, and you should be good to go! Windows does the rest (that's not scary).
PB,
you should add the text of your post to the D/L comments for LAA.
km

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 01:36 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:

Which exe i the proper .exex? The main Sh4 icon that starts the sim?
Old 06-01-20, 03:38 PM   #5
propbeanie

Yes Bubblehead1980 - "Drive:\YourGameFolder\SH4.exe", not the ico file... if you can't see the file extensions in your version of Windows, choose the first one listed - or change the Windows Folder Options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
PB,
you should add the text of your post to the D/L comments for LAA.
km
I thought I had that in the pdf file in the Support folder... ?? If not, we'll try to update the file for the next release, or maybe do a separate little "Using MultiSH4" pdf or something...

Old 06-01-20, 03:54 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Yes Bubblehead1980 - "Drive:\YourGameFolder\SH4.exe", not the ico file... if you can't see the file extensions in your version of Windows, choose the first one listed - or change the Windows Folder Options.

I thought I had that in the pdf file in the Support folder... ?? If not, we'll try to update the file for the next release, or maybe do a separate little "Using MultiSH4" pdf or something...

you misunderstand me. i meant that you should add those comments on the Downloads page in Subsim.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloa...o=file&id=3634

this way first time users can read your pearls of wisdom BEFORE they download.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 12:03 AM   #7
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
you misunderstand me. i meant that you should add those comments on the Downloads page in Subsim.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloa...o=file&id=3634

this way first time users can read your pearls of wisdom BEFORE they download.
If I've learned anything in my time modding, it's that people don't read.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 03:39 AM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Just FYI:

The installation of the alternative 4GB Patch is done with a few clicks only, put the '4gb_patch.exe' in your game directory, double-click on it, chose sh4.exe in the same directory, done.

The program will make a backup of your sh4.exe. And needless to say that it does the same thing as LAA.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 08:35 AM   #9
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
If I've learned anything in my time modding, it's that people don't read.
There is a lot of documentation in FOTRS and I did read on the LAA. However, it was not exactly clear which .exe you include. I learn quickly and will figure it out but typically the community is helpful, so I asked to save time so can get on patrol. I read it, but I understand some do not.
Old 06-02-20, 08:37 AM   #10
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Just FYI:

The installation of the alternative 4GB Patch is done with a few clicks only, put the '4gb_patch.exe' in your game directory, double-click on it, chose sh4.exe in the same directory, done.

The program will make a backup of your sh4.exe. And needless to say that it does the same thing as LAA.

XS
Where is the 4g patch? I searched for it on here but have no located it.
Old 06-02-20, 08:57 AM   #11
propbeanie

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=2888

it says its for SH3, can do any executable (exe) file - let me re-phrase that - any executable file that was written to be LAA (Large Address Aware), which does include SH3 and SH4 exe files... There is also NTCore 4GB Patch. All of them do the same thing, and just flip a couple of bits in the executable file's "header"...

Old 06-02-20, 04:42 PM   #12
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:

it says its for SH3, can do any executable (exe) file - let me re-phrase that - any executable file that was written to be LAA (Large Address Aware), which does include SH3 and SH4 exe files... There is also NTCore 4GB Patch. All of them do the same thing, and just flip a couple of bits in the executable file's "header"...
Thanks. I am hoping this will help with ctd issues with vickers officers quarters mod. Mod runs fine without it, will run but had a couple ctd and slow downs on patrol. Such a great addition for immersion, hate to patrol without it.
Old 06-02-20, 05:22 PM   #13
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:

4g patch won't install to c:/ubisoft/Silent Hunter 4

Tried the NTcore it gives some weird format when it downloads. sigh
Old 06-02-20, 08:15 PM   #14
propbeanie

You have to run most everything "legacy" as an administrator, especially if you have Windows 10. After you download the file, and then extract it if necessary, right-click on its name and choose "Run as administrator", which is usually toward the top of the list. See if that helps... If it doesn't help, try reading CapnScurvy's "Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" thread, and see if that doesn't help...