SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-19, 10:14 PM   #1
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
radar Visual heights for long range

It’s no surprise that when underwater a difference of 10 feet gives your periscope more distance to see into the horizon.
But what about on the surface? Does it make a difference to run with periscope up or not for detecting ships by the watch?

I get if I look through the periscope I do see farther than the binoculars zoom but what about the watchmen. Will they report farther if the periscope is up or don’t bother?
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-19, 10:51 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

We were going to test that for FotRSU mod, but have not gotten around to that. The game's manual is sadly lacking in any sort of what I consider essential detail, including this. General observations shows though, that when you have your periscope up, whether you are looking through it or not, you will "see" ships and planes on the NavMap, similarly as you've noted of the differences between being just below, at or above PD. There is a definite visual difference, and the crew reports in the same manner, so it would seem that they "see" the same as you in this manner. So it would seem the same would work for over the horizon, so I drive with my scope up while on the surface. I have gotten reports from the "look-outs" (which one? I wanna give them a gold star and a Hershey's bar... ) of something "Long range" that I can't see, but can look at it on the NavMap and it ~seems~ to be a better report, but it doesn't seem to always happen. I was going to set-up a "scientific" single mission with one ship in it, using highly inaccurate and totally unreliable measurements, between it and my sub, both stationary, and see just how far away I get reports. Keep moving the ship a thousand yards at a time. Start the mission with the scope down, then raise it as I'm on the bridge, and see when I get a "Ship spotted!" report, and how far out they are...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 12:05 AM   #3
skirich
Chief

I'm looking forward to the results.
Old 10-04-19, 10:55 PM   #4
Pyryck
Watch

Downloads: 12

https://www.boatsafe.com/calculate-distance-horizon/

The higher your height of eye (HoE), the farther you can see to the "horizon". This does include radar as it is line-of-sight technology.

When a sub is at periscope depth your periscope HoE is 4-6ft, iirc. That's with the keel somewhere near 60ft iirc (for US boats). Now bring the keel up to "surface-running" at around 15ft draft and you boosted the HoE of your periscope by 45ft.

Its been my experience while playing SH4 that when I/the skipper, while having the periscope up, have my attention turned elsewhere, someone else in the crew is using the periscope to report contacts. I can be looking at the tactical plot and all of the targets are showing up as ships instead of lines of bearing from sonar regardless of their bearing in relation to the viewing angle of the periscope.

The testing should prove that the lookouts can see farther than the skipper can while using binocs or UZO UNLESS the sub being used for the test has had the sail/conning tower cut down putting the lookouts at the same HoE as the skipper.

It's really all just simple math!
Pyryck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 01:59 AM   #5
skirich
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck View Post
https://www.boatsafe.com/calculate-distance-horizon/

The higher your height of eye (HoE), the farther you can see to the "horizon". This does include radar as it is line-of-sight technology.

When a sub is at periscope depth your periscope HoE is 4-6ft, iirc. That's with the keel somewhere near 60ft iirc (for US boats). Now bring the keel up to "surface-running" at around 15ft draft and you boosted the HoE of your periscope by 45ft.

Its been my experience while playing SH4 that when I/the skipper, while having the periscope up, have my attention turned elsewhere, someone else in the crew is using the periscope to report contacts. I can be looking at the tactical plot and all of the targets are showing up as ships instead of lines of bearing from sonar regardless of their bearing in relation to the viewing angle of the periscope.

The testing should prove that the lookouts can see farther than the skipper can while using binocs or UZO UNLESS the sub being used for the test has had the sail/conning tower cut down putting the lookouts at the same HoE as the skipper.

It's really all just simple math!

All true. Just wondering if it makes a difference in the game.
From the "feel" since I've been running periscope up on the surface, I think I get contacts sooner.
I definitely can see then better when running on surface through the periscope.
Only issue is I dont us stabilized view, for more realism, which in rough seas makes it dizzying to look through.
One of these days I'll do the single mission test mentioned above to prove all this, unless someone beats me to it.
Old 10-05-19, 02:55 AM   #6
Pyryck
Watch

Downloads: 12

Now to throw a monkey into the wrenchworks...

Depending on which mods you're using with your game, you may still have the original SpecialAbilities.upc file which lists Watchman as a special for the deck crew. Increases their range and reporting speed along with lowering the darkness penalty applied to lookouts at night.
Pyryck is offline   Reply With Quote