SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-21-10, 10:14 AM   #436
Hawk U-375
Engineer

Downloads: 518
Uploads: 0

Thank You Herr Stiebler!
Hawk U-375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-10, 10:21 AM   #437
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
The NYGM page at SubSim (see my signature) is now restored to proper working order.

The index page had been set to blank, probably during testing while the false 'attack site' nuisance was being tested.

Happy hunting!

Stiebler.
Thank you. Looking forward to finally giving NYGM a try.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 11:37 AM   #438
Dani
Helmsman

Downloads: 349

@Stiebler

From the NYGM2.2 manual :
" The real world change is the replication of the Germans Depth Keeping issue that occurred from 1939 to late
1942. This feature (only available with the use of SH3 Cmdr) is where 30% of the time the torpedo will be at
the correct depth as set with the TDC and for the other 70% of the time that the torpedo depth will have an
error from as little as 0.5 metres up to 3 metres."

"Chance for premature detonation per sea state

Pistol Rough Medium Calm
Pi1 40% 15% 5%
Pi2 15% 5% 1%
Pi3 15% 5% 1%
Pi4a 5% 1% 1%
Pi4b 5% 1% 1%
Pi4c 5% 1% 1%
Pi4d 5% 1% 1%
Pi6 5% 1% 1%
NOTE: the deeper the torpedo is set the less the % chance of a premature detonation is."

What means
only available with the use of SH3 Cmdr ?
Are these values changeable ?
Can you maybe make a mod with much higher % chance for premature detonation ?

I just want to have more torpedo failures to get more realistic tonnage score.

Cheers
Dani
Dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-10, 02:18 PM   #439
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Dani,

So far as I am aware, having checked the files and the documentation for NYGM 2.0 up to 2.5, the only changes made to NYGM torpedoes, in order to mimick early war unreliability, are these:
1. Magnetic torpedo set as default (however you can change this to impact if you prefer to have better reliability).
2. Torpedo depth set to 3 metres. Again, it is easy enough to change this to make the torpedo more reliable, simply by setting the torpedo depth to 4 or 5 metres.

There are no changes made with SH3 Commander (including the special NYGM replacement data files for SH3Commander) that affect NYGM torpedoes. I checked carefully.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 08:57 AM   #440
Barium
Swabbie

Downloads: 3

I hope this is the right thread....
I do have a problem with NYGM 3.4, everything works fine, but after upgrading my VIIC with the conning-tower VIIC/2 and the FuMo39 (the first radar which gets available in 1942) my rage with 9knots is reduced to ~6000km.
No way I can reach DJ like I did before where the indicated range was something ~23000km.
At first I thought it's because of sabotage or malfuntions, went to the harbour go to next patrol, but it's the same. So I disabled malfunctions & sabotage, went back to the conning tower 1 -> 23000km, back again install tower 2 and am down to 6000km .
Barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 04:38 AM   #441
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Barium:

Yes, this is the right thread.

Unfortunately, though, I have been unable to reproduce your problem on my setup for NYGM. I ran several trials with a VIIC in late 1941, with the MAN exhaust supercharger installed. (Presumably that was what you are using, since you talk about range at 9 kts, which is most economical cruising speed with the supercharger at 1/3 ahead (9kts is 1/2 ahead without the supercharger). I had ranges of around 18,000 km. (Oddly enough, also around 18,000 km at 1/3 ahead without the supercharger, at 9 kts). This was all with conning tower-1.

Then I upgraded to conning tower-2. Same ranges (18,000 km) at 9 kts with supercharger installed, 1/3 ahead.

I believe that your problem may be that you forgot the effect of installing a supercharger on speed and endurance. Alternatively, to obtain 9 kts on the standard engines is sometimes 1/3 ahead on a flat sea and 1/2 ahead in heavy seas. Or you have made some similar oversight.

The only other possibility is that using SH3-Commander, as evidently you are, you have at some point forgotten to roll-back Commander before adding some kind of mod. This can affect key files. Incidentally, have you remembered to add the special NYGM files for SH3 Commander? You can download them from my signature.

Sorry I can't help any further.

Stiebler.
Old 11-16-10, 01:04 PM   #442
Barium
Swabbie

Downloads: 3

Thanks for your replay.
It is with the supercharger, MAN I think, at speed set via the "2" key. On flat oceans about 10kn and with some wind and waves about 9kn.
And yes, I am useing SH3 Commander and I installed it in according to your installation help.
As I am currently on patrol with the type VIIC with conning tower 1 I can't look up what I have installed. But no mods were installed / removed since starting the campaign at the beginning of the war.
Barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 07:40 PM   #443
Dani
Helmsman

@Stiebler

When using SH3 Commander and choosing 10 flotilla + type IXd2 + 1943, I'm always getting AM grids (around Britain) to patrol.
Till december 1942 it's south atlantic.

Maybe the reason for this is because the four type IXD2 of the 10 flotilla where by the end of '42 transferred to the 12 flotilla,
so the 10 flotilla had no type IXd2 in '43?
Old 11-20-10, 03:58 AM   #444
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Dani,

This is a well known problem with stock SH3, where patrol areas take no account of your type of U-boat. SH3 Commander uses stock patrol areas. I don't understand why you are getting AM patrol areas though - whatever your U-boat.

There is an easy solution: When in base, use SH3Patrol (supplied with NYGM, in the documents folder) to provide patrol areas appropriate for your type of U-boat. SH3Patrol is intelligent enough to detect which type of U-boat you have, which base you are using, and the current year and month. It then provides an appropriate patrol grid from its internal look-up tables.

If you wish to use both SH3Commander and SH3Patrol, make sure you use SH3Patrol *after* SH3Commander.

Stiebler.
Old 11-20-10, 04:12 AM   #445
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

@Stiebler: Just to clarify, SH3 DOES cater for U-boat type (thus so does SH3Cmdr, for as you mentioned it reads from the SH3 flotilla.cfg file)...provided the modder has utilised the correct logic when setting patrol grids in flotilla.cfg.

I figured out the logic waaay back when I was working on GWX (over 3 years ago), but shelved it when I left the team. It lay dormant until 18 months later when I shared the logic with WB who used it in his XXI mod. Here's a post of mine from two years ago...

Quote:
Yes, to echo WB's words, SH3 does consider sub type when allocating grids - always has. If you understand its logic, then you can set unique grids for each sub type in each flotilla, meaning (for example) that your VIIC Kaleun can be sent to totally different parts of the world than your XXI Kaleun, despite them being in the same flotilla at the same time. This is the piece of the puzzle that is always missing from the "XXI in 1939" solutions found in this forum, hence the usual "NULL" grid allocations.

TBH I totally forgot about this finding - I worked it out over 18 months ago (it's quite straight forward) and had even started building a new Flotilla.cfg file for GWX2.0. But when I left the GWX team I simply shelved all my unfinished work (although it was no secret to the team), including this and the nearly completed "Fantasy Flotilla" mod that gave players an option of either having all boats and equipment at war's start, or boats and equipment roughly 1 or so years earlier than historically available, all under the "story" of the player being attached to a "secret testing flotilla" based in Hamburg.

Anyway, glad to see you got it working with your mod.

@WB: I had a quick look at your files; you need to set valid grids for Jan0130 through July0134 and Jan0130 through July0134.
From http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...254#post982254
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 05:24 AM   #446
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Ah yes I remember that post. But I don't remember that you ever explained there or elsewhere how the patrol grid logic worked? Would myself be interested in knowing that, so if you still have your notes many of us would be thankful if you share them
Old 11-20-10, 05:34 AM   #447
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

I went looking for my notes when I made the above post, but couldn't find them...and with the passage of time I have clear forgot what the rules were.

Hopefully Wreford-Brown still has my emails - I've no problem with him posting the logic. IIRC it's quite simple.

I did just find this thread though; WB's post from Dec 2008 seems how I recall it... http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show....php?p=1014483 , so it's not been a secret.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 07:13 AM   #448
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Cheers, seems that most of the info needed is already explained in that thread I know it wasn't secret, it's just that somehow nobody seemed to have posted all the relevant info compiled in just one place

Thanks again
Old 11-20-10, 09:12 AM   #449
Dani
Helmsman

Thank you Stiebler for your answer.
I have SH3Patrol ,but you can't used it for the first patrol of a new career.
Old 11-20-10, 10:42 AM   #450
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces
As I suspected. These seem to be the ones that were intended (start of the war, 2nd flottila):

Aug1000=BF13
Aug1001=BF11
Aug1002=BF14
Aug1003=BF15
Aug1004=BF12

the numbers 1000-1004 seem to be related with a indexing system in the file. It has no relavance to a year or date, other than the month shown.

Hmm, you could try to spend 24 hours in each of them and find out which one is the real one.

Wreford-Brown replied:
JScones has very patiently explained this to me and the format is month, flotilla, year, submarine type, random grid

Where:
Month = Jan through Dec.
Flotilla = The flotilla index (0 to 7).
Year = The year (0 to 6). 0 = 1939 and 6 = 1945
Submarine type = Key for the sub in question. (0=II, 1=VII, 2=IX, 3=XXI).
Random grid = A way to randomise the allocated grid between 0 and 4.
Nice work, Jaeson, I hadn't realised the significance of the flotilla and year entries.

In case you're interested, what I did was to use a self-penned short program just to identify the most common grid references in flotilla.cfg for each year. Then I worked out which U-boat types were most likely to reach them (eg, not a type II to the Americas, nor a IXD2 to the English Channel) and made a series of look-up tables based on these most common grid references and indexed by U-boat type, starting base, and year (sometimes divided into half-years). Then I added a few less common entries to add interest. And finally I added a lot of patrol grids around the coast of Britain for Type VII and Type II (=Type XXIII) boats for October 1944 onwards (Inshore campaign).

This was much more efficient than the huge number of entries in flotilla.cfg, but the devs weren't interested in it for SH5. I don't know what they have done there.

@Dani:
Point taken, about SH3Patrol not functioning on the very first patrol.

Stiebler.

Tags
torpedos through hull