SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-22, 10:28 AM   #1
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Default Vers 1.4 Indicator?

Hello, I recently upgraded my HDD and reinstalled SH4 and may have added v1.4. My memory not being great, I wasn't sure I had tried to move to 1.4 so I tried again (naybe) and rec'd a Red Screen sayingthe usual; "An Admin has blocked the execution of this game, or something similar.

I am the admin, tried to run 1.4 both as and not as the admin but rec'd the same result each time.

My question is: does this mean 1.4 is already installed, or is there actually a Administrator with my user name stopping me from running this vers?

Also, is there an indicator showing which version I have activated?

Thanks --
LT
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-22, 12:19 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15 Vers 1.4 Indicator?

What, is the source of your copy of SH4... to begin with.???

Amazon, Steam, Ubi... some other web site that sells games, a hard copy aka dick copy... from a bearded lady in a dark seedy alley... ( Sorry, that last was My weird sense of humor cropping up... back Guido... back I tell ya... *sound of whip cracking*)

Most places offer up SH4 in 1 solid format or other... aka version, like... access to v1.4 (or however that 1 is labeled, precisely) or v1.5

Steam, on the other hand... has both available to buy there on their side of things... with having to be ultra careful on which one of those versions you install... if you bought both or got their multi pack of SH aka a 3-n-1 pack... (being SH3, SH4 (both of those mentioned versions of SH4) & finally, SH5.

So...

in short, knowing just where you got it from, is extremely helpful, to know...

M. M.
Old 07-11-22, 10:02 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
Hello, I recently upgraded my HDD and reinstalled SH4 and may have added v1.4. My memory not being great, I wasn't sure I had tried to move to 1.4 so I tried again (naybe) and rec'd a Red Screen sayingthe usual; "An Admin has blocked the execution of this game, or something similar.

I am the admin, tried to run 1.4 both as and not as the admin but rec'd the same result each time.

My question is: does this mean 1.4 is already installed, or is there actually a Administrator with my user name stopping me from running this vers?

Also, is there an indicator showing which version I have activated?

Thanks --
LT
The easiest way is to go to your game folder, find the SH4.exe file, right-click on it, and choose "Properties" off the resulting 'context menu'. Then click on the "Details" tab, and about the middle of that should be "Product Version: 1,X,0,0", with that "X" representing either 3, 4 or 5.

The other way is to start the game, and once you get to the main menu, look for it there:

That is the FotRSU menu screen, with version 1.5 at the lower right. Your game may vary, of course.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 06:46 AM   #4
l02turner
Soundman

Default Vers 1.4 Indicator?

Thanks for your replyy.
I downloaded it from Subsim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post

What, is the source of your copy of SH4... to begin with.???

Amazon, Steam, Ubi... some other web site that sells games, a hard copy aka dick copy... from a bearded lady in a dark seedy alley... ( Sorry, that last was My weird sense of humor cropping up... back Guido... back I tell ya... *sound of whip cracking*)

Most places offer up SH4 in 1 solid format or other... aka version, like... access to v1.4 (or however that 1 is labeled, precisely) or v1.5

Steam, on the other hand... has both available to buy there on their side of things... with having to be ultra careful on which one of those versions you install... if you bought both or got their multi pack of SH aka a 3-n-1 pack... (being SH3, SH4 (both of those mentioned versions of SH4) & finally, SH5.

So...

in short, knowing just where you got it from, is extremely helpful, to know...

M. M.
Old 07-12-22, 08:15 AM   #5
propbeanie

... another couple of things l02turner, when you go to run the v1.4 update, your game has to be stock. The folder has to be write-enabled, and you have to run the patch as administrator.

So, with a fresh, clean install - do NOT play it. Go into the game folder (preferably NOT in a Program Files folder, else Windows will frustrate modding efforst). Once you see the "Data" folder and the SH4.exe file in the game folder, press the <Ctrl> key, and while holding it down, press the <A> key. That should select all of the files in the folder. Now right-click anywhere in the selection area, and on the resultant 'context menu', choose "Properties" at the bottom of the list with a left-click. It will open a dialog with the "General" tab viewable. In the bottom section of that first tab is the "Attributes" section. Notice that "Read-only" probably has a "partial" check mark in it, in that it is not a 'clear' box, but not a fully darkened check mark either. Click in that box, and it will clear the check mark. OK your way out. If the box is empty, do not put a check mark in there.

I cannot remember if I ran my patch file from inside the game folder before or not, but you might try that. It seems to me though, that it follows the Windows Registry entry, though I am not certain... Anyway, from the patch executable file, select it and right-click it to bring up the same 'context menu' as before, only this time, up near the top is "Run as administrator". Left-click on that, and it should run with full authority. I do not remember the dialogs, if there are any, for pointing at the install and such, but you do have to run it as administrator...

btw - the v1.4 update will NOT run on a Steam install.

Old 07-12-22, 09:34 AM   #6
l02turner
Soundman

Default VERSION 1.4

Hello again -
One more question as I prepare to re-install V 1.4 . I un-installed my SH4 and re-installed it from my store bought CD. As I prepare to install V1.4 (downloaded from SubSim) my question is, Should I paste V1,4 exe into the SH4 directory? Or maybe it doesn't matter?
Thanks!
Old 07-12-22, 10:24 AM   #7
l02turner
Soundman

Default Version 1.4

Ok, as I continue to try to install V 1.4, I uninstalled SH4 (in C:\docs\WOTP), re-installed it from a store bought CD, put the V 1.4 exe file in the root directory where SH4 is installed and re-ran it, and got the same result - a warning saying This program blocked blah, blah, blah.

I have no idea what to do next - I tried as much as I could think of.

Suggestions?
Old 07-14-22, 08:24 PM   #8
Ataraxzy
Watch

Downloads: 37

Check the sh4.exe file (the original one, not the patch you're trying to install) and see if it's marked 'Read Only'. Should be on the first page of the Properties tab for the file.

If it is, uncheck it.
Ataraxzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 12:20 PM   #9
l02turner
Soundman

Default Version 1.4

thanks for the suggestion. I uninstalled my store bought CD version (1.3), reinstalled it and before running it, I removed the Check from read only in the SH4.exe attributes and then tried to run Version 1.4 that I downloaded from SubSum, but I got the same Pop up, with the red Bar and a message saying the same as before.

I'd like to install V 1.4 but after trying all the suggestions it seems like V 1.3 is as far as I can go.

Any other ideas? Thanks for everyone's help... I'd like to find out what I'm doing wrong...
TIA
Old 07-15-22, 02:33 PM   #10
propbeanie

Did you empty the old Save folder? you must delete the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder in order to eliminate old data that the game sees as you having run the game. "UserName" is what you log-in to Windows with, and "Documents" might be "My Documents".

Old 07-16-22, 10:49 AM   #11
l02turner
Soundman

Default Version 1.4 Indicator?

Howdy - Well, once again I uninstalled/Installed the game, unchecked the box in the exe file attributes folder, removed the save files (& folder) and the other suggestions in this thread but I still get that darned popup alert telling me I am unable to proceed because I am blocked by some inknown administrator.! BTW, I am logged in as a Admin - should I run the game and/or 1.4 as a Admin or maybe it doesn't matter? also, can I add other mods without 1.4?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks -
Old 07-16-22, 01:08 PM   #12
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

https://softwarekeep.com/blog/bypass...-in-windows-10