SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-19, 06:31 PM   #7681
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
August 16th, 1943 03:30 hrs. Encountered American flagged Submarine Tender Fulton Class at anchor in the deeper portion of the lagoon approximately 1 nm due west of the docks at Piti, Guam. This despite having just sighted a Japanese flagged merchant vessel docked at Agana 5 miles north up the west coast of the island. I think the Fulton Class is about a year early. Is he not?
Fulton Class were commissioned December 1940

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 06:35 PM   #7682
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Oh, I was getting it at 0730 roughly, before. It was just to erratic, and had like five different locations where it could take an alternate route, so even it it spawned at 100% rate, it only showed at that 0730 hour when it went a certain route, so I eliminated all the "long" routes, and made the group take all of the shortcuts, so it now shows up consistently at about the 2130 mark, depending where you are. I could alter its "Start" time to 12 hours before if desired. I didn't really care if it was night or day, so long as it shows up at the same time every time...
I haven't been able to nail down why 1 out of 6 times I come across that Task Force I DO NOT crash. I wish I knew why that one time was different. The only thing I did differently was sink two merchants a few hours before.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 03-04-19, 07:03 PM   #7683
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Fulton Class were commissioned December 1940
Yes, when I said a "year early" I meant that he should not be parked off a Japanese held island until it is retaken by the Allies.

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 08:04 AM   #7684
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Immelmann comes through with another good catch! "He leaps, and makes the grab over the fence, robbing Edwards of a home run!"... For whatever reason, that subtender sits there from Day One through the duration of the war... I'm surprised it wasn't sunk yet... by the IJN... or at least been commandeered and their flag raised on it...

We are going to have to make-up a "cdrsubron7 'beta' Tester of the Year" award... all of you guys are helping immensely!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 10:46 AM   #7685
VIIC1941
Watch

Downloads: 135

Some shipparts and turrets, like smoke funnel、searchlight and 20mm AA Gun, are unable to destroy by my shells. I tried the 3-50,4-50 and 5-25 deck gun, using AP and HE shells, but none of them could damage those shipparts, which in stock game could be easily destroyed.

Clean installed SH4,FOTRS v0.80 RC2,LAA,delete all saved files before installing.

Last edited by VIIC1941; 03-05-19 at 09:04 PM.
VIIC1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 01:31 PM   #7686
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIIC1941 View Post
Some shipparts and turrets, like smoke funnel、searchlight and 20mm AA Gun, are unable to destroy by my shells. I tried the 3-50,4-50 and 5-25 deck gun, using AP and HE shells, but none of them could damage those shipparts, which in stock game
could be easily destroyed.

Clean installed SH4,FOTRS v0.80 RC2,LAA,delete all saved files before installing.
what i suspect happened is that whatever ship you are trying to damage has it's "damage zones" profile changed and the stack was not given a damage zone. so you can hit it and there is a sexy explosion but no real damage is taken.

this seems similar to the new damage profiles for the IJN DE's and DD's where you can make hits on them but they sustain no damage. the way i understand SH4 damage is that the ship/sub/whatever has to have a designated damage zone defined for each ship part in order to sustain damage and ultimately be destroyed or repaired. the DE/DD change (i think) was to reduce the number and location of damage zones which the vessel less likely to sustain damage and ultimately be sunk.

your smokestack probably doesn't have a damage zone so it cannot be damaged.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 06:16 PM   #7687
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Shore bombardment.

So in the past I recall shore bombardment was achieved so you could blow up items ashore. Might this make a resurrection in FOTRSU??

It was a lot of fun to attack shore targets especially with missions specifically assign to do so.

By the way what ever happened to the giant Spire north of Truk lagoon ... I can't find it any more?

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 03-05-19, 10:07 PM   #7688
propbeanie

The VIIC1941 & merc4ulfate questions are somewhat related. You have to have something "destructible" in order for you to "see" visual damage. For VIIC1941, the ship has to have a "damage image" that shows when you hit an area. While you might not see damage on some of the ships, if you see an explosion, you are most likely still registering damage to the "model". I don't know that for certain, but we haven't seen any torpedo-proof ships in a while (although you may run out of ammo for the deck gun if you keep hitting the enemy in the stack ). For merc4ulfate, we do have a "Master Modder" (sort of like a "Mad Hatter") who was thinking about working on that very project. We would like to see being assigned a shelling operation in support of landing the Marines, or maybe taking out the fuel tanks somewhere, or some other such small mission (imagine landing a shell in the phosphorus plant), but we also don't want to go overboard with that. It would be really cool, wouldn't it eh?...

As for the "Spire", that was actually one of four "Spires of the King of Truk Lagoon", which stood watch over the area and warned the King of enemy approach - or so the legend has it... Actually, those were GWX Terrain Extractor induced errors, which gap and Jeff-Groves have discovered the root of the error, and how to prevent it in the future. The way I corrected those in FotRSU was to do an uninterrupted edit of the Truk Lagoon, which was not easy to do. Afterwards, I found out from gap that I could in fact save interim versions in PS compatible file format, and didn't have to worry about doing it all at once. "Live and learn", as they say... but that's what they were, was just a self-inflicted wound in the Truk area - of course though, no one mentioned that the gun might mis-fire...

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-05-19 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-05-19, 10:45 PM   #7689
VIIC1941
Watch

Downloads: 135

Quote:
For VIIC1941, the ship has to have a "damage image" that shows when you hit an area. While you might not see damage on some of the ships, if you see an explosion, you are most likely still registering damage to the "model". I don't know that for certain, but we haven't seen any torpedo-proof ships in a while (although you may run out of ammo for the deck gun if you keep hitting the enemy in the stack ).
In the Artillery Training mission, the Japanese merchant shot me with 20mm AA guns, so I hit these turrets at very close range, fired all my 4-inch deck gun shells. But they seemed undamaged and were still shotting me.

Last edited by VIIC1941; 03-05-19 at 10:57 PM.
VIIC1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 12:51 AM   #7690
propbeanie

Yeah, they don't have damage zones. You unfortunately have to destroy the platform the guns sit on, which is the ship. But, I did hear the merchies gunner teasing with a shout of "Nanna nanna neeners! You missed me!"...

Old 03-06-19, 04:40 PM   #7691
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
The VIIC1941 & merc4ulfate questions are somewhat related. You have to have something "destructible" in order for you to "see" visual damage. For VIIC1941, the ship has to have a "damage image" that shows when you hit an area. While you might not see damage on some of the ships, if you see an explosion, you are most likely still registering damage to the "model". I don't know that for certain, but we haven't seen any torpedo-proof ships in a while (although you may run out of ammo for the deck gun if you keep hitting the enemy in the stack ). For merc4ulfate, we do have a "Master Modder" (sort of like a "Mad Hatter") who was thinking about working on that very project. We would like to see being assigned a shelling operation in support of landing the Marines, or maybe taking out the fuel tanks somewhere, or some other such small mission (imagine landing a shell in the phosphorus plant), but we also don't want to go overboard with that. It would be really cool, wouldn't it eh?...

As for the "Spire", that was actually one of four "Spires of the King of Truk Lagoon", which stood watch over the area and warned the King of enemy approach - or so the legend has it... Actually, those were GWX Terrain Extractor induced errors, which gap and Jeff-Groves have discovered the root of the error, and how to prevent it in the future. The way I corrected those in FotRSU was to do an uninterrupted edit of the Truk Lagoon, which was not easy to do. Afterwards, I found out from gap that I could in fact save interim versions in PS compatible file format, and didn't have to worry about doing it all at once. "Live and learn", as they say... but that's what they were, was just a self-inflicted wound in the Truk area - of course though, no one mentioned that the gun might mis-fire...
I miss the Spire.

And please by all means go overboard. I for one would love some shore bombardments and phosphorous blowing up all over the place. Maybe a train to blow up too ??

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 03-06-19, 07:38 PM   #7692
propbeanie

Quote:
I miss the Spire.

And please by all means go overboard. I for one would love some shore bombardments and phosphorous blowing up all over the place. Maybe a train to blow up too ??

No going "Captain Kirk" on us, but you do have to do a landing party to take a train out... Maybe we can find a "destructible" bridge?... Can't have anything drive on it though, because then it would "levitate" and drive to the other side anyway... an animation tied to an event? Where's Jeff?...

Old 03-06-19, 09:12 PM   #7693
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
No going "Captain Kirk" on us, but you do have to do a landing party to take a train out... Maybe we can find a "destructible" bridge?... Can't have anything drive on it though, because then it would "levitate" and drive to the other side anyway... an animation tied to an event? Where's Jeff?...
My CTD are getting worse. I gave up trying anything on the Task Force I ran into. CTD after CTD and then even ignoring it and going somewhere else I'm still getting CTD after CTD. I can't make it home with one now.

Everything running off a clean install with only FOTRSU and Patch 5

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 03-06-19, 10:42 PM   #7694
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Quote:
My CTD are getting worse. I gave up trying anything on the Task Force I ran into. CTD after CTD and then even ignoring it and going somewhere else I'm still getting CTD after CTD. I can't make it home with one now.

Everything running off a clean install with only FOTRSU and Patch 5
I have run into this before. Clean reload cleared it for me. I know it sucks abandoning a career to which you are attached. However, I have found it necessary to do so during the various phases of this development.

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 04:44 PM   #7695
propbeanie

I'm concerned about your crashes also merc4ulfate... Did you watch the Windows Task Manager when you had that open before? Did you notice what the cpu load and / or memory used? Here's a shot of my Win8 laptop's:

Notice the "spike" in the cpu when I started the Task Manager? SH4 will do that quite a bit as you play. This laptop has a 1st Gen i3, so it is single-core. My desktop downstairs is an older DuoCore E8400 quad-core, so the cpu box is divided into 4 segments, one for each core. The vista & Win7 version of Task Manager has a separate Window that opens for the Performance stuff. Win 8 and 10 are like above. You can get more details on the resources with that "Open Resource Monitor" link below the charts. You've posted your specs before, haven't you, and if I'm remembering correctly, you've got like an i5 and a bigger graphics card than mine, and I don't have any CTDs at all (well, except the ones that I do... ) - but either your Save folder has something in it, the mod has something in it, or your computer has something in its config that the game does not like... Your video card isn't overheating, is it?...