Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-20, 11:45 PM   #1
Captain Hammered
Seaman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Tinkering with CFG files...

o7 folks!

My current setup is SH5 from Steam with TWoS, for background. Now...
If there's one thing I love doing just as much as playing a good sim, it's tinkering with a good sim. If a sim has .cfg files, I'm a happy puppy.
In general, if I find .cfg files I'll create a BAK (backup) folder, move the appropriate files in there and fiddle away to my heart's content. I LOVED having a 50mph Gato class is SH4, for instance.
Once I've had my jollies I merely replace the files from the BAK folder and all is back to normal.
I've been having fun like this since way back in my Sea Dogs and CFS2 days - it's a blast!
Naturally, I simply couldn't keep my greasy little paws off SH5 so off I went, tinkering away.

It just doesn't seen to do anything.
Not that I WANT a Type-7B that goes 50 knots; but those were the files I found first...heh heh heh.
It just doesn't seem to work - my U-46 stubbornly retains its top speed of 18 knots, no matter how I adjust the .cfg file.
I'm just curious how SH5 is set up to make these kinds of adjustments - clearly the .cfg files don't affect performance, so I'm guessing they serve to calculate arrival time, etc.

One thing I would REALLY like to change is the Captain's walking speed - the POV camera. It moves rather too quickly for me; I'd love to slow walking speed by about a third - I just can't find the right file though.

If anyone has any thoughts or insights on the matter (besides "Don't touch it!" of course lol) I'd be grateful.
Cheers!
Captain Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-20, 05:23 AM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hammered View Post
o7 folks!

My current setup is SH5 from Steam with TWoS, for background. Now...
If there's one thing I love doing just as much as playing a good sim, it's tinkering with a good sim. If a sim has .cfg files, I'm a happy puppy.
In general, if I find .cfg files I'll create a BAK (backup) folder, move the appropriate files in there and fiddle away to my heart's content. I LOVED having a 50mph Gato class is SH4, for instance.
Once I've had my jollies I merely replace the files from the BAK folder and all is back to normal.
I've been having fun like this since way back in my Sea Dogs and CFS2 days - it's a blast!
Naturally, I simply couldn't keep my greasy little paws off SH5 so off I went, tinkering away.

It just doesn't seen to do anything.
Not that I WANT a Type-7B that goes 50 knots; but those were the files I found first...heh heh heh.
It just doesn't seem to work - my U-46 stubbornly retains its top speed of 18 knots, no matter how I adjust the .cfg file.
I'm just curious how SH5 is set up to make these kinds of adjustments - clearly the .cfg files don't affect performance, so I'm guessing they serve to calculate arrival time, etc.

One thing I would REALLY like to change is the Captain's walking speed - the POV camera. It moves rather too quickly for me; I'd love to slow walking speed by about a third - I just can't find the right file though.

If anyone has any thoughts or insights on the matter (besides "Don't touch it!" of course lol) I'd be grateful.
Cheers!
In order to play with sub performance you'll have to edit their .sim files using Goblin editor. All setting are there. Search the forum for Goblin editor tutorial...

I like the idea about slower walking speed but I'll have to check the files for this one...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 09:23 AM   #3
Captain Hammered
Seaman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
In order to play with sub performance you'll have to edit their .sim files using Goblin editor. All setting are there. Search the forum for Goblin editor tutorial...

I like the idea about slower walking speed but I'll have to check the files for this one...
Thank you!
It took me a couple of days (too tired after work), but I got Goblin all sorted out well enough to play with it now. I took my 7B up to 22 knots, then returned it to normal. I'll have a look around for that camera; I personally feel the POV movement is rather quick; there's never a reason to use 'run'.

Hopefully, I'll grow and get better at its use.
One question: there is one other adjustment I'd like to make: lowering the collision box inside the officers' table, so that one appears to be sitting at the table rather than above it. (It's my favourite part of the boat. ) Adding a 'sit spot' (like the Captain's Bed) would be ideal of course. This is probably WAY too hard for me, involving special programs, but if it is possible, how would I go about that?
Thanks
Captain Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote