SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Poll closed
option 0 0%
option 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-16, 04:26 PM   #376
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite00 View Post
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\SH4 GFO\MODS]
Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1
New Orders Bar Menu
stock v1.5 missions pack
Webster's No Crew Fatigue
Magnified Hud Dials for v1.5_Large
Bigger Better Protractors
Crew Rank Fix - Stock
SCAF for SH 1.5
Webster's New sonar view for v1.5
410 TMOPlot09032013

After yesterday's postings (#369-374) above, I've done a lot of testing.

I removed every mod and added one back at a time. After a each mod was added, I started a new American campaign in 1941 from Pearl with a Gar loaded with the same equipment. I transited from Pearl to Midway, saved the game and logged the file save size. I left the difficulty set at Easy because I didn't think this would affect the saved file size.

The saved files were a size you'd expect; ~950kb. I thought I solved the file size problem, so I began a real campaign in earnest and the only thing I changed from above was the difficulty setting (I chose custom). I made it to Midway and the saved file was 122MB.

I began my testing again, this time changing only the difficulty level. My saves after reaching Midway on Easy level were always ~950kb, but all other levels of difficulty (Normal, Hard, Very Hard and Custom) had save sizes at 122MB.

What do you make of this?
hmmmm.... I don't have as many mods in my GFO, but I'll see what mine does and get back with you...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 06:34 PM   #377
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi granite
Your saved games folder contains a number of individual saved games as you continue to play and save.
Each individual saved game will contain a number of files depending what happened in your game play.
For example there could be a single large mb and a a number of kb files.
The folder totals all these files together so the result may be either bigger or smaller than other saved game folders depending on the number and the size of the files in it.
Opening the individual saved game will show you where you are likely to see a large file showing mb's as to the others that will show kb's.
This largest file is most likely to be a file called > Savefile.rep
The reason why the mb file shows a large size in my case is probably because I only make 1 save in any gaming session whether I am playing for 1 hour or 3 hours.
I am not playing GFO but the same principal should apply.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 06:46 PM   #378
granite00
Torpedoman

Downloads: 162

Hi Peter,
I've looked in the location and found the savefile.rep you mentioned and that is usually the largest file in the folder.

In the files sizes I've referenced in my posts above, the size I'm providing is directly from SH4 in the save/load file screen. As I mouse over a save, it tells me the file size.

My issue remains that the GFO files are 122MB simply from transiting from Pearl to Midway (no other activity). Once I've gone further to Japan and completed a single mission such as delivering an agent to shore (no torpedoes fired yet), the file size has reached over 600MB. Contrast this with an entire TMO patrol that includes 6-8 ships sunk...that file is usually 4MB. Something just isn't right.
Old 08-15-16, 07:08 PM   #379
propbeanie

What I've found, and it's not conclusive, but the replay file follows the last save. So when I started a new campaign career, there's an autosave in-base. Normal size. I start the career in Easy, assigned to the Marshall Islands. I go there, do a normal save. There's lots of files in the save folder that I'm used to seeing. SaveFile.rep = 535kb, Total save folder (0003) size is 1.16mb. When I then start a 2nd career, different name, set to "Normal", and I haven't played any Single Missions or Patrols between, and I save in almost the same place, my first campaign save drops in size (which I just realized I didn't write that down...) and the new career first save folder jumps in size. However, the SaveFile.rep is on 491kb in this one. The total size for the folder is now 23.9mb now... but most of that is the replay file, which is now in the new save folder (0005 in this case). Even though I haven't saved a Replay, which you can't in a campaign anyway, the file is still there. Probably for the game's use.

What I'll do next is blow all that away, and start in Difficult or something, then do Easy, and see if it follows.

Old 08-15-16, 07:50 PM   #380
granite00
Torpedoman

Thanks Propbeanie,

You might try mousing over your saved files in the Save/Load screen in SH4. That is where I'm getting the size and it's just for that save. That figure isn't adding the size of all previous saves. Each successive save has its own folder, although each successive save usually gets larger because it's storing history (sinkings, travel distance, etc.).
Old 08-15-16, 07:52 PM   #381
propbeanie

That is NOT what happened... hmmm.... Here's my little notepad notes:

"First Run, Default with added crew (Easy)
Sent to Marshall Islands
SaveFile.Rep = 535kb
Total in save directory = 1.16mb

Second Run, Normal with added crew
Sent to Marshall Islands
SaveFile.Rep = 491kb
Total in save directory = 23.9mb

NewRound
First Run, Hard with added crew
Sent to Honshu, top-off at Midway
SaveFile.Rep = 340kb
Total in save directory = 991kb
Replay = 2kb & 1kb respectively

Second Run, Easy with added crew
Sent to Tokyo
SaveFile.Rep = 335kb
Total in save directory = 966kb
Replay = 2kb & 1kb respectively
"

I apparently did not track the replay file, but it was like 121mb after the start of the 2nd career. I was closer by about 6 hours to the Marshall Islands. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Marshall Island assignments? Maybe there's about to be a tussle there (tic)? Where were you assigned to granite00? I looked in the directory directly for the file size info.

I'll re-do the re-do, and see if I can get the Marshall Islands again, but starting on Hard (or Very Hard, not "Difficult"), and then go to Easy again...

Old 08-15-16, 08:48 PM   #382
propbeanie

I did it all over again with a new save folder, and first career with defaults with Easy, I was sent to Hiroshima Harbor for a photo recon. Saved after Midway re-fit & departure. Save file was 412kb, total folder size is 1.04mb. Second new career, set to Normal, sent to Tsursaki Harbor - just down the sound from Hiroshima - for a photo recon. Saved after departing Midway re-fit. Save file is 314kb, directory structure is 967kb, so it did not do what the previous round of starting at Easy did. The difference here is destinations? Or maybe something else in the "Save" itself. ?? There is a big replay file in that first round, but why?

No enemy ships encountered on any of the trips. I encountered the same first Merchant on all seven new campaigns, inbound toward Honolulu. I did not encounter any other traffic on my way to the Marshall Islands. Enroute to Midway on the others, I encountered the same merchant on the three trips to the Honshu / Hokkaido area. Did not encounter that one these last two. The radio traffic on all seven is the same (naturally).

What I think I'm going to do now is restore the Marshall Islands trips folder, and go play me some GFO... It's been a while since I had an assignment down there this early, and it didn't go so well... Then I gotta get back to 'testing' FotRSU... I let you know if I encounter a huge fleet or something down by the Marshall Islands...

Old 08-15-16, 09:22 PM   #383
granite00
Torpedoman

Good hunting Propbeanie!

I wanted to try GFO while we're waiting for FotRS Ultimate. Thanks for your (and all other team members') work on that huge project. It's going to be great.

One thing I would suggest if you're going to continue testing GFO: no matter where the mission assigns you, go to the same location each time (you choose; Midway or the Marshalls).
Old 08-15-16, 10:08 PM   #384
propbeanie

You're more than welcome granite00. I took the "Easy" career save, since it's the normally sized one, and went on into the patrol area. Enroute, I've encountered four potential targets, chased 'em, ID'd 'em, and they've been Allied ships each time... So now I'm 24 hours into the area, assigned to attack any and all enemy shipping. No targets yet. I've saved, and it's a 743kb file. I'm tired, headed for the rack, and I'll try the over-sized save tomorrow. I'm really curious as to why that replay ballooned on it, and if the save will even load and play... We'll see.

Thanks for the thanks on FotRS. I'm just basically a crash test dummy there, but the other fellows are great to get to rub elbows with and learn from, and it is fun doing the test drive. Each iteration has gotten better, and the amount of ships is astounding (I'm using that word a lot lately). It is beautiful, graphically, and there's some good stuff added. Have you seen Rockin Robbins youtube videos for it? We're going to have to have him do some new ones... It's even better now than it was when he did those.

and now, back to our previously excellent thread...

Old 08-16-16, 12:22 AM   #385
granite00
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Thanks for the thanks on FotRS. I'm just basically a crash test dummy there, but the other fellows are great to get to rub elbows with and learn from, and it is fun doing the test drive. Each iteration has gotten better, and the amount of ships is astounding (I'm using that word a lot lately). It is beautiful, graphically, and there's some good stuff added. Have you seen Rockin Robbins youtube videos for it? We're going to have to have him do some new ones... It's even better now than it was when he did those.

I missed one. For those of you who haven't seen the Fall of the Rising Sun ships, they're going to be better than what you'll view here (the many merchants start at time 16:50):
Old 08-16-16, 05:52 AM   #386
propbeanie

That list has been expanded even more since that video, and the potential exists for even more to come into the game. The only problem (besides the mod's file size) is that the Museum won't run on some machines (too much day-tuh... maybe). We're working on it.

Just to let you know, after doing morning chores (I'm gettin' too old for those), I loaded up GFO once again, went to that 2nd save I did, the 23.9mb one, and when I went in to Load Game, there IS a Replay associated with the save. I did not click for a Replay when I originally saved it. The Replay will load and play, but is extremely boring to watch. Of interest in it is the fact that the propellers' screws are NOT rotating, yet the submarine has some means of propulsion and is moving through the water...

The game itself did load and play fine, propellers do move, so I drove another 24 hours toward the Marshall Islands, and saved again. This time, the total save size is a much more reasonable 1.15mb. The other save is still there, still 23.9mb in size. I haven't a clue where it gets the Replay from. I didn't click for it, and I didn't think you could do that anyway during a Campaign. However, I tried to click on it, and after a 2nd click, it does tick the box, so that's something to look-out for in my install of GFO... later gator.

Old 08-16-16, 11:57 PM   #387
granite00
Torpedoman

I did some additional testing of other submarines, other homeports and other beginning years. I believe I've isolated my problem to the Gar and Tambor class. They both give me large save files departing from Pearl and the Asiatic Fleet in years 1941 and 1942. It appears if I want to play GFO, I'll have to avoid those submarines. That should be possible and I'll have to refuse a new boat if one of those two are offered.
Old 08-17-16, 08:35 AM   #388
propbeanie

My tests were just with the default Porpoise boat and December 9th, 1941... If you go to the save folder itself in My Documents (or whatever) and look, do you see a big replay file in the numbered folder? If you save again after that initial big save, does it (the total size) "follow" your new save, or is it a "normal" size? I'm doing similar in FotRS UE to see if it does anything even remotely similar. So far, no issue, but it is early, and there's more variables at play.

Old 08-17-16, 11:52 AM   #389
granite00
Torpedoman

Hi Propbeanie,

I have never had a replay file generated in my tests. My large file is always the "SaveFile.rep" file. I just ran a test with a Gar class and clicked the "Replay" checkbox while saving. That generated a "ReplayFile.rep" file, but that file was much smaller than the "SaveFile.rep" file.

If you re-run a test, try a Gar or Tambor class from Pearl in 1941. Both give me large save files at difficulty levels higher than Easy. The Porpoise and Gato (in later years) classes seem to work normally for me.
Old 08-17-16, 01:29 PM   #390
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite00 View Post
Hi Propbeanie,

I have never had a replay file generated in my tests. My large file is always the "SaveFile.rep" file. I just ran a test with a Gar class and clicked the "Replay" checkbox while saving. That generated a "ReplayFile.rep" file, but that file was much smaller than the "SaveFile.rep" file.

If you re-run a test, try a Gar or Tambor class from Pearl in 1941. Both give me large save files at difficulty levels higher than Easy. The Porpoise and Gato (in later years) classes seem to work normally for me.
I"ll give that a go later then, because my save file size was all replay...