SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-28-18, 02:00 PM   #5986
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Hitman is that cool, popular dude from high school... sort of like Fonzie... only better.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18, 02:01 PM   #5987
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

I have a 64bit Windows 7, so I guess it's "Large Address Aware2_0_4.exe"

Thank your sirs much appreciated
Old 05-28-18, 02:12 PM   #5988
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177
Uploads: 0

This is just way to awesome!!! Thank you to all of you who made it happen!!
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18, 02:14 PM   #5989
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default 1st Patol Completed

Out of Manila on Dec 9, 1941 in USS Sargo. Uneventful trip to Area G1. Returned to see if I could intercept a landing fleet in Lingayan Gulf. Before getting there was jumped by a Pete, seen too late to dive. Thought my gunner could handle a single Pete (they always used to in previous lives), but not this time. He straddled us with bombs. Damaged all engines and bulkhead in engine room. Damage control hand things in hand within a couple of hours, except for one little thing. We had to listen to that leaky steam pipe for the entire rest of the patrol (ended January 15 at Surabaya).

Question: Why can't Damage Control reach up and tighten that damn valve??? The constant hissing can drive a crew to drink!

Eventually we encountered a Shinshu Maru Landing Craft heading for Aparri on 12/23/41. Nailed it for our first kill. Total for the patrol was four merchants at about 19,000+ tons. Not bad.

Observation: Air cover by the Japs makes it very difficult to stay surfaced for even a few minutes around the Philippines once the first one sees and attacks. Spent most daylight hours at 100 feet to be safe. The revised battery recharge times are noticeably better than in previous releases. Much more realistic and reasonable, and makes having to stay submerged less onerous.

Good job, guys. A very good job!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18, 02:30 PM   #5990
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Out of Manila on Dec 9, 1941 in USS Sargo. Uneventful trip to Area G1. Returned to see if I could intercept a landing fleet in Lingayan Gulf. Before getting there was jumped by a Pete, seen too late to dive. Thought my gunner could handle a single Pete (they always used to in previous lives), but not this time. He straddled us with bombs. Damaged all engines and bulkhead in engine room. Damage control hand things in hand within a couple of hours, except for one little thing. We had to listen to that leaky steam pipe for the entire rest of the patrol (ended January 15 at Surabaya).

Question: Why can't Damage Control reach up and tighten that damn valve??? The constant hissing can drive a crew to drink!
Same problems here, and it actually happened since last version before. And I have another question: what happened to crew speeches? For example I order ahead flank and my crew only replies me "Yes sir!" without "Ahead flank!" It doesn't matter too much but somehow ruin the mood of battle excitement Just imagine you find a big convoy and you order ahead flank, while your crew just listlessly replies you "yes sir" as if they have no interest of those ships at all
Anyway, thank you so much for your amazing job! I've already started a new patrol and really look forward to new discoveries!
Old 05-28-18, 02:52 PM   #5991
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default 2nd Patrol

In the Celebes Sea, just WSW of the island that is to the south of Davao Strait, we were jumped by a Pete coming out of the hazy sky. Ordered a Crash Dive, but too late. He damaged a bulkhead and all engines. Leakage forced us to surface. Gunner fought him off, but a 2nd soon appeared and hit us with two bombs. Boat sinking - little chance of rescue, so presume the final report will be "All hands lost". RIP USS Sargo (SS-188).

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18, 03:15 PM   #5992
propbeanie

Your encounters were all Petes, torpedobait? Were you running your SD radar? I've found that while I get a better fore-warning of their approach, I also get them coming straight at me, like I've got a big bright light turned on in the middle of the night...

yyzBegonia, do you know which kind of airplane it was that attacked you? I can't speak to the speech... sounds strange, eh?... can't speak to the speech...

It has seemed to me more than once that the Petes especially might be a bit too good... The problem will be figuring out which ships or seaplane base it is that they launched from... In the meantime, be governed by CINCPAC and CINCAF as to being submerged during daylight hours. Of course, when you do not reach your patrol zone location in a timely manner, you will be reprimanded for staying submerged so much...

Old 05-28-18, 03:51 PM   #5993
RampantParanoia
Watch

Downloads: 45

Fantastic timing gents, I finally got round to reinstalling SH4 yesterday and today I have a whole new version of FOTRSU to play with!

Many thanks for all your hard work on this old game, it's really appreciated.

I haven't had time to play much yet but I did notice that the shortcut for the torpedo management screen (lasted as "I" in the F1 menu) takes you to the damage control screen instead? This was in a fresh career from Midway, first patrol in Dec 1941 in a Tambor.
Old 05-28-18, 06:12 PM   #5994
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Many thanks to the mod team for all the hard work. Among all the changes, I especially look forward to running decks awash in the moonlight once again. I dislike being possibly among the first to submit what might turn out to be an actual bug report for 0.71. But hey! That is what this is all about anyway. Right? As a preface, I do not remember any of this happening in 0.63. So that may not be the most welcome news to the team. Well here goes.

Using multi-SH4. My first copy of the game remains the clean and un-modified install to use as a source to copy from for an additional install to a separate game folder. Clean installed by copying over and I also removed and renamed the entire contents of my second SH4 folder (different name of course) in documents before going any further. Activated 0.71, and only 0.71, using JSGME. Started it up and went in to reset display graphics resolution and display preferences and exited the game in order to make the settings take hold. Restarted the game and then changed my gameplay preferences to those of my liking. Of particular importance to me is the ability to use a free camera, and have manual targeting on and available. I don't care for the event camera jumping in and interrupting whatever I am doing either. So I set that to off. Realism now set to a value of 63. I wanted to jump in somewhere in the middle of the war and not start from Dec. 8 '41. So I chose a new career starting in mid '42, Pearl, Tambor. Difficulty normal. This is where things go sideways. I let the first patrol load and find that I have NO free camera available to use. This despite me having gone in before starting a career and setting it to available, or on. Now I seem to remember having run 0.63 on normal career difficulty while also being able to use the free camera with no problems. I'm fairly certain of this. Repeated this several times. Checking gameplay settings after exiting back to the main menu. Continued to find that the game has changed my gameplay settings, on it's own, to a value of 85. What is especially perplexing is that the game has also switched my manual targeting to off. Which I find quite counterintuitive for a higher level of difficulty (realism). I reproduced this outcome multiple times. So I got to thinking and thought I would try starting the same career with the difficulty set to easy. That worked and the game allowed me to set and keep my gameplay settings at 63 with free camera and manual targeting on. I could swear that I was running 0.63 with realism set to 63 and career difficulty set to normal, free camera, manual targeting on and available to me. Am I losing my mind here? Screenshots to show my preferred realism settings of 63 and game changed realism settings of 85 when a career difficulty of normal is selected at the initial career setup screen. You know the screen. It is the one where you get to give your skipper a name, lol. Screenshots below. Please don't torpedo, depth charge, or deck gun, the messenger. Thank you mod team. (edit: Ok lets leave the event camera out of this for now, lol.)

Preferred gameplay settings:

What the game changes them to unless a career difficulty setting of easy is selected at beginning of career:

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18, 06:31 PM   #5995
propbeanie

When you start a new career Immelmann, you are eventually taken into the Captain's Room on-base. To the left of the picture is a "cabinet", with 2 sets of 2 "file drawers" below, and an open area with "binder" folders etc. On top of that is a wood-faced radio. Click on that radio face to change all of your Career preference settings. The idea being that the main menu's "Options" are for the Single Missions and Patrols, while there is a separate one for the Careers...

Old 05-28-18, 06:33 PM   #5996
Geoff then
Gunner

Downloads: 63

Great Stuff, I have some spare time this week!
So: Downloading right now.
Old 05-28-18, 06:36 PM   #5997
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
yyzBegonia, do you know which kind of airplane it was that attacked you? I can't speak to the speech... sounds strange, eh?... can't speak to the speech...
Well.... I wasn't attacked by aircraft actually, the problem is the irreparable steam-leak after submarine got damaged, in which bombarding my ears....
Old 05-28-18, 06:38 PM   #5998
propbeanie

Oh yeah, that... After repairs, you will sometimes have to save the game, exit the game, re-start and re-load, ~then~ maybe you'll get some peace. Hopefully, that is the one and only time you will encounter that phenomenon... I'll look into the sound file for that though, and make sure we match bit-depth, format and length with stock...

Old 05-28-18, 06:53 PM   #5999
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Two more problems to report:
- The 45° perspective of recognition manual doesn't work for most of merchants (This actually happened since 0.63 but I forgot to report it)
- Hydrophone of S-18/S-42 class could "detect" vessels when the submarine is on surface, but I can't hear the target's propeller noises when I manually operate the hydrophone. Anyway, when the submarine is submerged the noises can be heard again...
Old 05-28-18, 07:21 PM   #6000
propbeanie

The 45's are not there for most of the ships. You can think of it as "simulating historical" ... The ONI manuals would include the information the USN had, which might be line drawings, might be photos, might be another skipper's sketch, might only be text...

We'll have to wait for CapnScurvy or one of the other knowledgeable fellows to come along for the full story on the Sugar Boats' sonars. I do know though that that weird-looking thing that looks like a lightning arrester on the fore deck is the head, and that has to be under water for you to be able to hear...