SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-21, 05:29 AM   #1
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Who can repare?

I have installed “Radar and TDC Training Missions v1.02”: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1952

When I now start SH4 and look at "Submarine school", I see that at the first and the last training it is stated that the ship is "unknown". The training in question can therefore not be started.

I have sent the MODDER a PM asking if something can be done about it. Unfortunately I did not receive an answer.

Then I opened the mission editor myself and the mod in question too. But, this is where my knowledge ends. I cannot see if and where is an error...

Who can/will look at it and repare it ????

Do you want to fix it for me? And, if you fixed it, how do I get the recovered MODs in my computer?
Old 05-19-21, 08:38 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

If you used JSGME to put the files into your mix, just use JSGME to remove them. A few questions for you on the missions' use:
1. Which version of SH4 do you have? ie: 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5
2. What other mods do you already have activated?
The symptoms you describe are similar to what you encounter when either the mod isn't compatible with your version of the game, or with other mods you have activated. If I am not mistaken, those missions are for use with Nisgeis' 3D TDC and Radar mod on the Stock game, using JCC's TDC tutorial vid, of which there is an older thread somewhere on SubSim here about all that... I had it all bookmarked on my usual computer, but this is a borrowed machine I am on now...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-21, 09:33 AM   #3
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
If you used JSGME to put the files into your mix, just use JSGME to remove them. A few questions for you on the missions' use:
1. Which version of SH4 do you have? ie: 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5
2. What other mods do you already have activated?
The symptoms you describe are similar to what you encounter when either the mod isn't compatible with your version of the game, or with other mods you have activated. If I am not mistaken, those missions are for use with Nisgeis' 3D TDC and Radar mod on the Stock game, using JCC's TDC tutorial vid, of which there is an older thread somewhere on SubSim here about all that... I had it all bookmarked on my usual computer, but this is a borrowed machine I am on now...
Hello Propbeanie,

Thank you for your quick response.

1) I have version 1.5;

2) I am using JSGME;

3) I put my mods in MODS;

4) it turns out in practice that it doesn't matter whether I use other mods or not.

I think my game is compatible...

Regarding your other two comments: I'll try that, but I think, frankly, that has nothing to do with it, because those Training Missions are placed in the sub-school and besides, the other missions DO get started. I wrote that only the first and the last missions gave the message: boat unknown.
Old 05-19-21, 12:34 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: Regarding mod sets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post
Hello Propbeanie,

Thank you for your quick response.

1) I have version 1.5;

2) I am using JSGME;

3) I put my mods in MODS;

4) it turns out in practice that it doesn't matter whether I use other mods or not.

I think my game is compatible...

Regarding your other two comments: I'll try that, but I think, frankly, that has nothing to do with it, because those Training Missions are placed in the sub-school and besides, the other missions DO get started. I wrote that only the first and the last missions gave the message: boat unknown.
Ahoy, easy...

1 thing to understand about mods.. 1st & foremost.. dig into the read me, if the mod comes with 1.. I know that some mods, had that aspect left out of them. If such is the case, generally you can see of going back to a [Rel] thread, which usually, the very 1st, or even in some cases, the 2nd post will give you definitive info on what version of the sim you are wanting to use that mod with.

That, is foremost important, to make sure that the mod will work with the sim/game. Can't stress that enough. For this instance, that would be, making sure that the mod you grabbed, is set up to work with SH4 v1.5, & isn't for either v1.3 or v1.4 of SH4. That, is also going to apply to all the other mod sets you grabbed, as well.

The 2nd thing to understand about mod sets is.. some, are NOT going to play well with other mod sets... (sometimes, you CAN get extremely lucky/fortunate, in that the original modder is still about, updating or looking at bettering their mod they created... if they are not still about, or god forbid, have passed on. i.e On eternal patrol.. that another who knew that modder, may take up the mantle & still tweak that mod set. Or perhaps got permission from them to tinker about with the mod & make improvements themselves, making sure to credit the original creator for the base mod that they used.. is a lot of other means & methods but I hope from this you get the gist of this.. & haven't lost you in a fog...)

Main point here is.. some will NOT work with other mod sets no matter what is done.. though that can change.. possibly.. but don't be surprised if that doesn't happen.

The 3rd point, is that I can't stress enough is.. location.. location... LOCATION...

What this means here is.. Some mod sets have to be placed in a certain order, in order for them to work well with others & to work at all.

With jsgme, if you would.. click task (located in the center bar area on jsgme) scroll down to 'export activated mods list to' from the pop up menu & click on 'clipboard' in the side pop up menu.

What this does, is allows you to copy the mods you have activated with SH4, in a txt list format & be able to paste that .txt formatted list, in a reply back here.

Which will give a better chance to see what you are working with.. & tell you if the order is wrong, the mod/s you have are right for v1.5 of SH4.. or if you need to grab an updated version of a mod to make sure it works (i.e plays well) with all the other mods.. in short, seeing that list, will help us, help you figure out what is going on wrong & what can be done to correct it..

Hope this helps...

M. M.

Old 05-19-21, 02:11 PM   #5
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hallo MM!

I did as you told me: making the txt-file: "activated mods list.txt".
It reads:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Silent Hunter IV\MODS]

Radar and TDC Training Missions v1.02

Thats all.

1) I told already: it doesn't matter if there are other mods activated or not;
2) I told already: in that MOD are five (5) trainings;
3) I told already: onle the first and the last trainings reads in the menu from the submarine school: "boat unknown". Therefore I cant start them. Wich means the other three are starting normally.

Please, if possible, download “Radar and TDC Training Missions v1.02”: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1952

Disabel your mods you've enabled, enabel the Radar and TDC Trainings Missions. I'm really, really curious what wil happen in your game.
Old 05-19-21, 04:54 PM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: mod sets.. part deux...

Ok, & on that note.. am going to bow out here.. as I have not had any experience with 3D radar mods...

On this, am just going to let any others who have, take a shot at this here...

To easy, I wish you all the best in having help on this issue here.

M. M.

Old 05-19-21, 05:38 PM   #7
propbeanie

The only thing "wrong" with the missions is that the mission date does not match the submarine configuration date. The easiest way to do this is with a text editor. There should be a copy of Notepad on your computer, so open that, then File Open and browse to your game folder, down into MODS, then the Radar and TDC Training Missions v1.02 folder, then Data, then SubmarineSchool, then XRT1 Radar Training Part 1. The folder will appear to be empty. However in the lower-right portion of the File Open dialog is a drop-down box and arrow that shows "Text Documents (*.txt)". Use the little down arrow and then choose "All Files (*.*)". You should now see XRT1 Radar Training Part 1.mis and XRT1 Radar Training Part 1.tsr files. Choose the mis file and open it. At the top of the file you will see
Year=1943
Month=7
Day=1
Hour=9
Minute=0
Make a not of those. Now scroll toward the bottom of the file, and find
[Unit 9]
Name=RT1_US Balao#1
Class=SSBalao
Type=200
Origin=American
Side=1
Commander=1
CargoExt=-1
CargoInt=-1
CfgDate=19430101
DeleteOnLastWaypoint=true
DockedShip=false
GameEntryDate=19430101
GameEntryTime=0
There is more text that this, but this is all you need to see for now... Notice the line "GameEntryDate" does not match the top of the mis file. Also notice the "CfgDate". Edit the CfgDate to "CfgDate=19430701". Then edit the GameEntryDate to "GameEntryDate=19430701" to match the start of the file. You should also match the GameEntryTime, and edit it to read "GameEntryTime=0900". Save the file using the File menu, then Save, or the <Ctrl><S> combination. If you use Save As, you will once again have to change the dialog from Text Documents to All Types.

The other file is done similarly, but he use 19430601 for the mission file's date. Just match the player sub to that.

Old 05-21-21, 05:32 AM   #8
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hello Propbeanie,

Thank you so much for this post, it does work perfectly indeed!

My big question now is, how did you know or find this was the right repair?
Old 05-21-21, 11:32 AM   #9
propbeanie

I have the mod in an archive on my modding computer, so since you mentioned the first & last missions having the issue, that information pointed me toward the possibility of the dates not matching. I come by that knowledge having made all sorts of mission files for testing and other purposes, as well as campaign files, and you might be surprised how an incorrect date can skew the results of what you are doing... - at the same time, a person does have to be careful with their mod activation order, and whether or not a given mod is compatible with the previous. This is part of the problem of trying to troubleshoot someone else's troubles, in that we aren't sitting at your computer and seeing what you have previously attempted. In your case, I am almost certain that Nisgeis intended the Submarine School missions for use with his modded radar and tdc, but if they work in your set-up, you should be fine. In FotRSU, the radar on the player's sub does not function, and my guess is that there is a slight incompatibility between a ship and FotRSU. But I can shoot on the sonar bearings, hit the ships, and they sink - so long as the torpedoes detonate... - but I cannot do "radar training" with the mission files in FotRSU, without further editing...

Old 05-22-21, 05:58 AM   #10
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default @ propbeanie, that's weird...

Hello captain propbeanie,

strange .....

1) As you know in SH4 v. 1.5 I had put “Radar and TDC Training Missions v1.02” in MOD and with JSGME enabled;

2) it works very well thanks to your input;

3) then disabled in JSGME;

1) then deleted C: \ Users \ myname \ Documents \ sh4;

2) TMOwTw 2.5 placed in MODS and with JSGME enabled;

3) SH4 with TMOwTw started;

4) and guess what?

5) that in the selection menu of the submarine school, “Radar and TDC Training Missions v1.02” is still present and still works normally!

This means that even though I deleted C: \ Users \ myname \ Documents \ sh4, it is noted elsewhere that the training mission has been installed!

That's weird...

Last edited by easy; 05-22-21 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-22-21, 03:50 PM   #11
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post
Hello captain propbeanie,

strange .....

1) As you know in SH4 v. 1.5 I had put “Radar and TDC Training Missions v1.02” in MOD and with JSGME enabled;

2) it works very well thanks to your input;

3) then disabled in JSGME;

1) then deleted C: \ Users \ myname \ Documents \ sh4;

2) TMOwTw 2.5 placed in MODS and with JSGME enabled;

3) SH4 with TMOwTw started;

4) and guess what?

5) that in the selection menu of the submarine school, “Radar and TDC Training Missions v1.02” is still present and still works normally!

This means that even though I deleted C: \ Users \ myname \ Documents \ sh4, it is noted elsewhere that the training mission has been installed!

That's weird...
No, it means that you got everything set up, as is needed to for everything to work.

Which, is a good thing cause if it reverted back to where things were when you started the post about the issue you were facing.. it would mean that something still was not right.

So... congrats on getting the issue resolved & Good huntin'...

M. M.

Old 05-22-21, 06:27 PM   #12
propbeanie

Well, I've been having issue with Windows 10 lately not putting my Save folder where it should. Look in the root of the drive you have the game installed on easy, and see if you don't have another same-named folder there, with the Stock game would be "SH4", of course...

Old 06-01-21, 11:11 AM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

If you have a normal Windows account, but start the game as an administrator account (as is often suggested but not needed when the game is installed outside of the Program Files folderpath), then it looks for the SH4 folder in the Documents folder of the administrator. 'His' savegame folder will not be your savegame folder. Maybe that is why the folder mysteriously re-appears.