SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-21-21, 02:57 PM   #1
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95
Uploads: 0
Default Files that recognition book uses?

Question about files that the ship recognition book uses, I find with all the mods I've used in SH3 and SH4 the ship recognition book isn't fully in alphabetical order for the ships. Is this because of some coding in the original game that new ships can't be added in, in alphabetical order or can they be edited in the file to be put in proper order, so you don't have to be searching the whole book when a ship is sighted?
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 05:44 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
Question about files that the ship recognition book uses, I find with all the mods I've used in SH3 and SH4 the ship recognition book isn't fully in alphabetical order for the ships. Is this because of some coding in the original game that new ships can't be added in, in alphabetical order or can they be edited in the file to be put in proper order, so you don't have to be searching the whole book when a ship is sighted?
Not only alphabetical, but if it is possible with ships it could be grrouped as well with alphabetical ship type...

like a tab or clickable arrow so you could easily move from say... BB's (Battleships) to CV's (Carriers) to DD's (Destroyers) in the warshis... to Cargo & Tankers with the merchie's... again, if that is feasibly possible. That would also help in ID'ing a ship, relatively quickly.

Or by warship/merchie by funnels... would also work nicely... with them being in alphabetical order... just some thoughts...

M. M.

Old 03-21-21, 06:26 PM   #3
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 535
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
Question about files that the ship recognition book uses, I find with all the mods I've used in SH3 and SH4 the ship recognition book isn't fully in alphabetical order for the ships. Is this because of some coding in the original game that new tships can't be added in, in alphabetical order or can they be edited in the file to be put in proper order, so you don't have to be searching the whole book when a ship is sighted?
My Ship Length table list all ships page by page as they appear in the book. It was the best way for me to make sure I didn't miss a ship.

I'm working on the next revision which will include mast height, deck configuration e.g. Mast-Kingpost-Funnel, etc., and draft so you really won't need to use the recognition book.

Download:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5750

Hope this helps.....
Old 03-22-21, 07:47 AM   #4
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95

So which file is ship recognition book?
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-21, 08:57 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Each ship has a sil file, such as "NBB_New_Mexico_sil.dds" that is found in the Data / Sea / ShipName folder of the game. The "Recognition Manual", such as it is, pulls the info for the pictures from there and adds that to a blank "page" the game then adds to the "book". The data found above the pictures comes from the ShipName.cfg file in the same ShipName folder, such as the "NBB_New_Mexico.cfg" file. Some of the ships in stock will confuse, since they have different names for the different components that make up the 3D "ship". The worst offender of that is probably the Conte Verde. The Porpoise playable submarine is another.

But there is no actual Recognition Manual. It is built "on the fly" by the assets in the game's folders and Names.cfg file, as well as each ship's entry found in the Roster folders. This allows for "automatic" entries in the RecMan, but also restricts its ability to be "tabbed", like the SH1 version was... The ships are "sorted" by UnitType first (DD=4, BB=11, etc.), then are alphabetically listed by ClassName on those types. The only "merchants" that show under any given nation's flag are the "replenishment" ships. All other normal merchants are listed under the all-encompassing "Merchant" section.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote