SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-12-20, 01:28 PM   #541
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levyathan89 View Post
I agree. Every ship in a convoy should be fair game. Except Americans (pre December 1941), because those were off limits, since Hitler wanted to prevent the US from joining the war after Germany had invaded the Soviet Union. The problem is that the game cannot distinguish between different sorts of Neutrals. I reality, some neutrals could be sunk without ramifications. But commanders that accidentaly attacked Spanish ships,for example, had to expect to be court-martialed.

In SH III play as follows:
No Flag or signs of neutrality and/or Darkened or in a enemy Convoy
equals legal target. If one of these things is present I don't attack.
The neutral convoys I never attack because they are using lights and flags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
I assume there is an editable value in a config file to give you zero loss of points for attacking neutrals?

I came across a convoy, shooting at a Fiji cruiser and a British merchant. A Norwegian flagged merchant got in the way of the British merchant and took the hit. I still ended up with an Iron Cross after that patrol. I'm assuming because the cruiser was worth twice as many points?

Depends on the the date of the convoy attack. After Operation Weserübung started in April 9th, 1940, Norvegian ships aren't neutral when travelling in a convoy.

Last edited by Kongo Otto; 06-12-20 at 01:37 PM.
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-20, 04:22 PM   #542
Fritz Klum
Mate

Downloads: 728
Uploads: 4
Default Request permission to upload fix

Hey all,

I created a small fix pack for this wonderful mod that fixes some localization errors. Namely, it fixes:

The Messages from BDU being in French: Set them back to English.

The Recognition Manual Covers (I redid them all, credits to HK_101 for the correct names for the Covers.) Also, I redid them in a new font, but you'll just have to wait and see the surprise on that one.

You now get renown for sinking neutral vessels, but you get twice as much renown for sinking allied vessels (exact levels are now 1 for neutral, 2 for allied.)

When you get a radio message, it will no longer say that its from 'COMSUBPAC' on the document - now it properly says it's from BDU.

However, as the original mod is Fifi's intellectual property, I'm not sure if I can release the fix without his permission.

Therefore, I am humbly asking Fifi for his permission to upload my fixes to his mod.
Fritz Klum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-20, 04:29 PM   #543
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz Klum View Post
Hey all,

I created a small fix pack for this wonderful mod that fixes some localization errors. Namely, it fixes:

The Messages from BDU being in French: Set them back to English.

The Recognition Manual Covers (I redid them all, credits to HK_101 for the correct names for the Covers.) Also, I redid them in a new font, but you'll just have to wait and see the surprise on that one.

You now get renown for sinking neutral vessels, but you get twice as much renown for sinking allied vessels (exact levels are now 1 for neutral, 2 for allied.)

When you get a radio message, it will no longer say that its from 'COMSUBPAC' on the document - now it properly says it's from BDU.

However, as the original mod is Fifi's intellectual property, I'm not sure if I can release the fix without his permission.

Therefore, I am humbly asking Fifi for his permission to upload my fixes to his mod.
Don’t forget the base is Lurker’s work my friend! But of course you can upload your mod fix here
Good news people are still trying to enhance our job
It will be to activate on top of all without any problems i hope....and probably a new career start mandatory.
Old 06-12-20, 04:57 PM   #544
Fritz Klum
Mate

OK, thanks!

Here is a link to the localization fixes file (uploaded here at subsim.)

Hopefully everything works as advertised.
Old 06-14-20, 11:02 AM   #545
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Couple of more questions.

1. When/how do the flotillas offer upgrades and/or new boats? I started off in 3rd Flotilla, Type IIB and transferred to 1st Flotilla Type IIC and it is now May 1940. Should a Type IID have been offered?

2. What is the criteria for being offered a new boat or upgrades? Stock SH4 requires "good" performance as a minimum, but I'm not sure what tonnage or renown that equals in Dark Waters.

Thanks!

Last edited by 3catcircus; 06-14-20 at 01:48 PM.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 09:44 AM   #546
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Look in the Support / OM_DarkWaters_AddIns folder, and you will find several files (ods) of spreadsheets that have all sorts of mod info. The IIB and IIC overlapped, and the IIC and IID overlapped, as well as being available at different locations. This was due, of course, to the changing conditions during the war.

You will NOT get boat upgrades in Dark Waters, because they were not in OM. The game is very strange with the "upgrades", so lurker disabled them. When Fifi tried to implement them, they were odd, hence leaving them disabled.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 11:58 AM   #547
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You will NOT get boat upgrades in Dark Waters, because they were not in OM. The game is very strange with the "upgrades", so lurker disabled them. When Fifi tried to implement them, they were odd, hence leaving them disabled.
Yes, Propbeanie is right.
That’s a shame, but it is unfortunately like that.
So no U-Boat upgrade to an other type...when starting with a type II you will fight all war with the type II...but to counterpart this, you always can start few careers with different U-Boats types, to kill the boringness, if any

On side note, numerous Kaleuns in real fought all war time line on same type!
Old 06-15-20, 12:01 PM   #548
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

We did not have enough time to do extensive testing, and have not heard from Kaleuns who have experienced their boats being retired, as to whether they always go with their boat, or whether they might experience an "upgrade" at that time. May-haps some could share their experience in that regard?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 12:30 PM   #549
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
We did not have enough time to do extensive testing, and have not heard from Kaleuns who have experienced their boats being retired, as to whether they always go with their boat, or whether they might experience an "upgrade" at that time. May-haps some could share their experience in that regard?
Hmm. If I knew how to put in "good" renown and advance the calendar a few months at a time, I'd be happy to test this out using a dummy career.

I assume that the ODS files identify dates of availability of u boats, flotilla change of home ports, and of equipment?
Old 06-15-20, 05:33 PM   #550
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Hmm. If I knew how to put in "good" renown and advance the calendar a few months at a time, I'd be happy to test this out using a dummy career.

I assume that the ODS files identify dates of availability of u boats, flotilla change of home ports, and of equipment?
i have to echo what PB and Fifi have already posted.
Dark Water has very few, if any, boat upgrades. Mostly because the base Mod is OpMonsun and OpMonsun did not have any.
as the other two have suggested, play for a sim-year or two with one boat and then start a new career with a different boat in a different theatre. that is one thing that has been worked on quite extensively. you can have a career in the Atlantic, the North Sea, The Baltic, The Med, The Black Sea, even up north picking at the Russian traffic.
with Dark Water, one has to put aside the US-Pacific mentality of upgrading boats and finishing the war and take up the mentality that very few German skippers lasted the war and even fewer lived long enough to drive newer boats.
good luck in whatever you decide to do.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 12:23 PM   #551
Sokolov
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

in the sensors.sim file you have min detection time, sensivity and max range, thre are written that sensivity is a treshold where detection time i s doubled, so after that treshold detection time will increase depends from range or stay? I ask for that reason, that set up right detection time.

Quote:
- AI visuals have been increased but not in range distance. Your veteran crew will spot a ship at around 12000M while the cargo veteran crew will spot you surfaced around 6500M by clear weather. Night surface attacks still possible up to around 1000M by clear weather.
- Periscopes are now detectable. The more you raise it the faster you can be detected! Cargo with veteran crew can detect a fully raised periscope at around around 2000M with 2m/s waves, 1500M with 8m/s waves (the higher the waves, the closer you can go)
It's from v4 description. I have 2 questions: how you set up the night visibility (through light factor???) And how you make periscopes visible? There are just 1 surface factor, so for u-boat and periscope it should be 2???

Last edited by Sokolov; 06-18-20 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-18-20, 02:40 PM   #552
Fritz Klum
Mate

The way I deal with boat Upgrades in this mod is I pick the best boat available at the current start date of my career. Since I prefer to start in 1939 when the war begins (usually,) I want a boat that is capable from 1939 to the end of the war. This means that I either go with the type VIIB in the 7th flotilla, or the type IXB in the Kiel Training flotilla (usually the latter for me, since I'm more of a type IX guy .)

On a different note, I released an update to my localization fixes sub-mod that fixes a few more issues. You can simply re-download the file, and it should be the newer version now. I mostly just changed some radio message texts, and changed mentions in the interface from ''submarine'' to "U-boat" or "boat." I also changed references from feet to meters, so when you hover over the crash dive button for example, it now says "Takes your U-boat to 75 meters of depth" instead of "takes your submarine to 160 feet of depth."
Old 06-18-20, 06:52 PM   #553
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
The way I deal with boat Upgrades in this mod is I pick the best boat available at the current start date of my career. Since I prefer to start in 1939 when the war begins (usually,) I want a boat that is capable from 1939 to the end of the war. This means that I either go with the type VIIB in the 7th flotilla, or the type IXB in the Kiel Training flotilla (usually the latter for me, since I'm more of a type IX guy .)

On a different note, I released an update to my localization fixes sub-mod that fixes a few more issues. You can simply re-download the file, and it should be the newer version now. I mostly just changed some radio message texts, and changed mentions in the interface from ''submarine'' to "U-boat" or "boat." I also changed references from feet to meters, so when you hover over the crash dive button for example, it now says "Takes your U-boat to 75 meters of depth" instead of "takes your submarine to 160 feet of depth."
Only issue I have with kiel is that transiting the canal takes forever due to dropping down to 4x TC... Not a big deal starting outside the harbor, but still...
Old 06-18-20, 08:52 PM   #554
Fritz Klum
Mate

Quote:
Only issue I have with kiel is that transiting the canal takes forever due to dropping down to 4x TC... Not a big deal starting outside the harbor, but still...

True, the Kiel Canal is a pain. I usually just ignore it and sail around denmark instead.
Old 06-19-20, 12:14 AM   #555
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Quote:
True, the Kiel Canal is a pain. I usually just ignore it and sail around denmark instead.
In your Document/SH4/Cfg/main set Near Land = 128