SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-22-13, 09:40 AM   #1
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Default Is it possible and how? Wake rendering distance...

...to increase waves rendering distance. This is probable the reason why AI gunners are so damn precise from long range , even with with drastically slowed down barrels elevations speeds. Destroyers are probably gliding on perfectly smooth surface and AI just can't miss...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 09:51 AM   #2
plj
Captain

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0

....all one needs for that accuracy is 2 levels.... press fire only when both are level and do it fast....

I presume you mean wave and not wake like the titel says ? That would be a massive hit on CPU I think...
plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 09:55 AM   #3
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

All the objects in the SH5 world are rendered from digital to visual mode at a distance about 40 km.. I think waves are included in the 'all objects'..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 10:09 AM   #4
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by plj View Post
I presume you mean wave and not wake like the titel says ? That would be a massive hit on CPU I think...
Yes, waves, sry...
Old 10-22-13, 10:10 AM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
All the objects in the SH5 world are rendered from digital to visual mode at a distance about 40 km.. I think waves are included in the 'all objects'..
I don't get you there? You're saying that waves are rendered up to 40 km in SH5?
Old 10-22-13, 10:13 AM   #6
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I don't get you there? You're saying that waves are rendered up to 40 km in SH5?
Yes.. SH rendered (visible) world is about 39-40 km..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 10:16 AM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes.. SH rendered (visible) world is about 39-40 km..
No doubt about that but it looks like wave and therefore ship's wake effect is limited to something like 5-6km, don't you think so?

EDIT: How can I increase binoculars magnification? I wont to take a closer look at those distanced destroyers...Uboatsensor.sim?
Old 10-22-13, 10:19 AM   #8
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Yes, I agree with Volodya.

You should try setting shipborne guns to their historical traverse/elevation rates (you got my spreadsheet for it), set trav/elev tolerance factors and max error angles high enough (I think you have already done it) and play with Waves amplitude and Waves attenuation parameters in Sim.cfg file. But be careful with the last two parameters: they have a big effect both on player's sub and on AI surface units, especially small ones as tugs, junks and PT boats

See the following post by Ducimus for further detail:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...10&postcount=6

If you decide messing with them, make sure to coordinate with Rongel, who is also tweaking U-boat's pitch and roll
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 10:21 AM   #9
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
EDIT: How can I increase binoculars magnification? I wont to take a closer look at those distanced destroyers...Uboatsensor.sim?
no, you should look into cameras.cam
Old 10-22-13, 10:23 AM   #10
plj
Captain

Downloads: 70

Quote:
No doubt about that but it looks like wave and therefore ship's wake effect is limited to something like 5-6km, don't you think so?

There is something called 'external cam' ... point, hold shift, press w .. wait ?
The fact is that these platforms are a LOT more stable, being deeper in the water with more weight.
plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 10:29 AM   #11
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Tnx all guys!

Regarding historical data and AI veteran/elite precision , anything larger then 1 for barrel elev speed and AI will punch you right between your eyes from 7 km away in less than 10 sec. Now, this can't be "historically correct"...
Old 10-22-13, 10:35 AM   #12
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by plj View Post
There is something called 'external cam' ... point, hold shift, press w .. wait ?
That is the catch Plj...If I move external cam closer to destroyer, than also wake effect kicks in , and destroyer starts to loose his precision...
Old 10-22-13, 10:50 AM   #13
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Tnx all guys!

Regarding historical data and AI veteran/elite precision , anything larger then 1 for barrel elev speed and AI will punch you right between your eyes from 7 km away in less than 10 sec. Now, this can't be "historically correct"...
Historical data is "historically correct" by definition. If it doesn't yield realistic effects with high veterancy levels, then the problem is either in veterancy bonuses or somewhere else, but not obviously in guns' training rates.

On the other hand, if your plan is fixing a flaw by introducing a worst flaw, i.e. guns training as slow as a snail, you might as well scrap their wpn_cannon controller, and keep their 3d model as adornment
Old 10-22-13, 12:17 PM   #14
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
On the other hand, if your plan is fixing a flaw by introducing a worst flaw, i.e. guns training as slow as a snail, you might as well scrap their wpn_cannon controller, and keep their 3d model as adornment
The worst flaw is what we have now. Any kind of fix would be great improvement over this nonsense, temporally if nothing else...

I must say that I noticed certain repulsion from your side towards slowing down barrels elevation speeds, which is, so far, the only solution which actually gives some results when dealing with this problem. AI guns can look like two balloons on a stick as far as I'm considered, IF we can reach historically confirmed hit ratio from given distances...

If you have any ideas how to solve this issue with different approach, I'm eager to help, but if you don't or if we need again 1 or 2 years of research in order to solve this "correctly" , then , I'm afraid, it is the time to consider some alternatives.

Last edited by vdr1981; 10-22-13 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-22-13, 01:29 PM   #15
gap
Navy Seal

Destabilizing the guns and/or dumbing down the infallible veteran AI gunners is the way to follow. You yourself had started moving in the right direction when you looked into the tolerance factors and discovered the odd wave attenuation issue which gives the title to this thread.

If you are looking for a compromise, try increasing waves strenght (many times I pointed you to the two wave mech factors in sim.cfg but you keep ignoring my suggestion), raise ships' center of mass and decrease their L/R drag. Maybe you won't fix the gun issue but at last you will discover how to make ships to capsize.

If you prefer, give AI guns ridiculously low elevation rates. You will please the pirate harboring within us (WOW, finally free to scamper on the surface shooting up our deckgun against defenceless targets ), but you will also condemn enemy and ally ships to an horrible death when they will need to face their first air raid.

Do it, but don't call it realistic, please.