SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-29-16, 07:31 AM   #301
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

radar

Are all of the Rotating Radar Antenna 90 degree off from actual target Bearing?

If so, I may be able to fix this...

Three possible ways to fix this:
  1. Change SensorData controller Bearing from 0.00-360.00 to 270.00-269.99 (Rotation is clockwise). Easy fix!
  2. HEX Edit SensorData Bone in Uboat_Sensors.GR2 to rotate it 90 degree. Difficult fix!
  3. Move SensorData controller out of Uboat_Sensors.sim to a new Uboat_Sensors.dat with SensorData controller rotated 90 degree. Messy fix adds more files!
Please Advise!

-=[EDIT]=-
I am going to try rotating the GR2 SensorData controller Bone.
-=[More Info]=-
Goblin Editor shows the following:
  • GR2 SnesorData controller Bone "FUMO_30_antena" is already rotated 90 degree.
  • GR2 SnesorData controller Bone "FUMO_61_antena" is already rotated 90 degree.
  • GR2 SnesorData controller Bone "FUMO_65_antena" is not rotated 90 degree and is facing toward bow.

Regards!
TheBeast

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire

Last edited by TheBeast; 11-29-16 at 08:32 AM.
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-16, 09:03 AM   #302
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Can you also take a look why AI can not stop using radar sensor even when radar station is turned OFF?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-16, 09:40 AM   #303
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Can you also take a look why AI can not stop using radar sensor even when radar station is turned OFF?
This MOD only deals with equipment installed on Player U Boat.
Can you be more specific about this?

As far as I am aware of, TheDarkWraith made the only MOD changes to the AI with his [WIP] IRAI (Intelligent Random AI) mod.
You may want to bring it to his attention and ask this question in that forum.

If this is AI ship, I suspect the ship may have more then one SensorData (Radar) controller.

-=[EDIT]=-
If this is the Player U Boat I know why already.
There are Multiple SensorData (Radar) Controllers for each Radar. When you turn off the radar at the Radar Station or in the UI, it only shuts off one SensorData (Radar) Controller. This is a game function limitation as the Radar "On" switch starts all of the SensorData (Radar) Controllers.
The other SensorData (Radar) Controller keep searching but its Minimum Detection Height is set to around 150m-200m and should only detect Aircraft but not detect Surface Ships. Minimum Operating depth should be set to Zero(0) so it doesn't report Radar Contacts while submerged.
The reason behind having Multiple Radar Controllers was to detect Air contact at a greater range then Surface contacts to emulate real radar.

Regards!
TheBeastBelow

Last edited by TheBeast; 11-29-16 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Add more information
Old 11-29-16, 09:56 AM   #304
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
This MOD only deals with equipment installed on Player U Boat.
Can you be more specific about what AI Cannon?

As far as I am aware of, TheDarkWraith made the only MOD changes to the AI with his [WIP] IRAI (Intelligent Random AI) mod.
You may want to bring it to his attention and ask this question in that forum.

If this is AI ship Cannon, I suspect the gun may have its own SensorData (Radar) controller.

If this is the Player U Boat Deck Gun I will look into it.

Regards!
TheBeastBelow
No, not the gun or canons...our AI radar operator (playable sub) continues to report airborne radar contacts and radar sensor is still operational even when radar is OFF. In other words, radar sensor is always active when sub is equipped with radar... Do you know something about that?
Old 11-29-16, 10:55 AM   #305
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
No, not the gun or canons...our AI radar operator (playable sub) continues to report airborne radar contacts and radar sensor is still operational even when radar is OFF. In other words, radar sensor is always active when sub is equipped with radar... Do you know something about that?
Yeah, I was working on a gun when I replied and it carried over. lol
See the edit info from my previous post for more info. You replied while I was editing.

Old 11-29-16, 11:41 AM   #306
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yeah, I was working on a gun when I replied and it carried over. lol
See the edit info from my previous post for more info. You replied while I was editing.
Ahaaa, I see now... It's a side effect of multiple sensors controllers introduced by REM. Thanks for clarification... The effect is not noticeable with hydrophones and RWR sensors because they can not be turned of...
Old 11-29-16, 02:12 PM   #307
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Ahaaa, I see now... It's a side effect of multiple sensors controllers introduced by REM. Thanks for clarification... The effect is not noticeable with hydrophones and RWR sensors because they can not be turned of...
Very true.

I had planned to investigate this further but never had time but I do think it can be fixed.

I do take advantage of this for the FuMb-391. This is a Snorkel Mounted Radar Warning Receiver that according to what I've read also had a short range radar. The Radar Station shuts down as soon as you dive but the Radar Operator still reports short range Air Radar Contacts.
The is a way to enable the Radar Station while Submerged but that feature should only be enabled if the FuMb-391 is actually installed. I am not going to make that change until we are able to turn off all SensorData (Radar).

-=[EDIT]=-
For use in TWOS I recommend just removing the extra Radar SensorData controllers and adjusting the radar ranges to compensate.

About 5 years ago I ran across some "Post WWII Destructive Testing" documentation done by the US on German U Boats and their equipment.
Almost all the sensor ranges, even crush depths, used in game are way off according to those reports. They actually put Tethered Remote Controls and CCTV in Type-VII and Type-IX U Boats and remotely Dive the boats until they crushed. The documentation did not mention anything about the Type-XXIII, I think that information may still be classified. US Sub dive depths almost doubled shortly after the dates on these documents.
i.e. FuMO-39 GEMA range Game is 7Km-9Km but they reported it to determine target ranges very accurately up to 9.5Km and it could reliably detect targets up to 16Km.

Last edited by TheBeast; 11-29-16 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-29-16, 06:11 PM   #308
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
For use in TWOS I recommend just removing the extra Radar SensorData controllers and adjusting the radar ranges to compensate.
Hm, maybe not for now because that would also reintroduce player inability/difficulties to use radar in rough weather (when it's most needed) due to temporally submerging. If someone is annoyed by this fact, he can always remove radar apparatus in the bunker...

Quote:
About 5 years ago I ran across some "Post WWII Destructive Testing" documentation done by the US on German U Boats and their equipment.
Almost all the sensor ranges, even crush depths, used in game are way off according to those reports. They actually put Tethered Remote Controls and CCTV in Type-VII and Type-IX U Boats and remotely Dive the boats until they crushed. The documentation did not mention anything about the Type-XXIII, I think that information may still be classified. US Sub dive depths almost doubled shortly after the dates on these documents.
i.e. FuMO-39 GEMA range Game is 7Km-9Km but they reported it to determine target ranges very accurately up to 9.5Km and it could reliably detect targets up to 16Km.
Very interesting...
Old 05-31-21, 09:29 PM   #309
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 2338
Uploads: 0
Icon14

The Best! Thx!
U-190 is offline   Reply With Quote