SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-18-23, 12:21 AM   #1
D-Jones
Gunner

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 0
Default What blew me up?

I'm running RFB, which I REALLY like so far. I was travelling south, east of Formosa minding my own business and suddenly I got the--"We're taking damage sir!" frantic message, and it was lights out. This was in Jan. of 42. Was it a mine? I never encountered a mine before. A plane I didn't see? It was nighttime. Any ideas?

Thanks.
D-Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-23, 06:34 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Well, the mines east of Formosa become active in September 1943, as do the ones in the Formosa Strait. The ones west of Formosa, along the coast of China and the 100 fathom line are Sepctember 1942. That is in the Stock game and RFB. If you use RSRDC on top of that, then the minefields might be slightly different.

You don't mention whether you are submerged or on the surface? Shore guns in Stock (RFB) are super shooters and can hit you from 9600 yards on the 2nd or 3rd shot sometimes, but those are on the west and north coast of Formosa. An airplane can see your boat though, and attack without you knowing it, if you're not too deep, or on the surface... or if submerged, maybe you smacked the bottom?? Went too deep for your boat?? RFB really makes the boats weaker in that regard, so you do have to be more careful of your crush depth with it, especially the older boats.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-23, 10:22 PM   #3
D-Jones
Gunner

Pretty sure I was surfaced briefly to get oxygen levels up. Maybe it was a shore gun. No "Plane spotted" warning. Whatever it was, it was catastrophic. I went right to the bottom. Everything that could be knocked out was knocked out. Love this mod so far! Requires patience though. Kind of like not knowing what killed me.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-19-23, 09:46 AM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Jones View Post
Pretty sure I was surfaced briefly to get oxygen levels up. Maybe it was a shore gun. No "Plane spotted" warning. Whatever it was, it was catastrophic. I went right to the bottom. Everything that could be knocked out was knocked out. Love this mod so far! Requires patience though. Kind of like not knowing what killed me.

Thanks for the reply.
you do not mention what time compression you were using and that probably played a part.

so....night time, surface, sudden and immediate death.....
either a passing patrol boat or a night fighter or, if you were steaming within 4-5 miles of the coast, a coastal battery took you out. Those hazards PLUS time compression and you went from sipping a cup of coffee and catching up on the radio dispatches to shark-bait.

we've said this many times: at TC 512, every second of time means 8+minutes of game time. at TC 256, 1 min:4 mins.

a lot can happen in that time period.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-23, 02:06 PM   #5
D-Jones
Gunner

Time compression was 500x. It was a plane, I think. It happened to me during the daytime at periscope depth too. I like that! First time that's happened with any mod. Have to be more careful and keep the scope up or run deeper. That's probably what it was like in RL.

Another thing! (lol). Don't know why this happens. The TDC works perfectly for merchants. For warships, particularly CLs though, the range is WAY off. According to the NavMap, I'm about 2000 yards out to starboard and I clocked it @ 16 knots (manually). The TDC shows me @ about 200 or as close as150 yards though. No matter how many times I check the range, it's way off and I miss the perfectly lined up shot. Any ideas?

I'm running-

RFB 2.0
RFB Patch
RFB Patch-2019
RSRDC
RSRDC Patch
SMMO
Hydrophone Lines Extended
ISP

Thanks.

Last edited by D-Jones; 12-20-23 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-22-23, 04:06 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Even in the Stock game, you can be seen below the water surface, and the periscope being up will leave a wake trail - though that isn't actually what is spotted. There is a "size of" setting for your boat's surface area that controls that. There might be a negative underwater visibility incorporated into RSRDC also. In theory, your boat might be visible down to roughly 120 foot with that. An airplane has to fly over your position at a certain angle for you to be "seen" like that supposedly. If I am seriously into "stealth", I will cruise at 100 ft depth, and come up every little bit to PD and have a look-see, then go back down, with the sonar actually being my main target finder. Even if an airplane can see you down there, they generally cannot bomb you that deep. However, they might call in the cavalry, and you end up with any available DD in the area coming to look for you...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote