SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-09-20, 06:55 PM   #1786
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

@propbeanie

The mod has been downloaded, you can delete it!

Will report with results soon.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-20, 06:57 PM   #1787
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
For your situation Mios 4Me, what I have done with my Steam version of the game is removed all mods, run the Steam "verify game files" to get a "fresh" stock install. This is when using the Uboat Missions Add-On for the v1.5 Steam version of the game... Navigate into that version of the Steam game's main folder, use <Ctrl><A> to Select All. Right-click in that window such that you get a context menu, and select "Properties" from that. In that little pop-up window, at the bottom of the "General" tab is the "Attributes" section. Notice the "Read-only" box has a grey check mark in it. Click on that so that it "clears" it. Click on "OK", and you will then be prompted as to whether you want to apply it to all files in all sub-folders. Tell it yes, you do. It will take a few minutes to run. If you have 7zip installed with context for Windows Explorer, you can then do that <Ctrl><A> trick again, and this time, right-click and choose "7zip -->" and "Add to archive". Name it what you will remember it, such as "StockSteamSH4v15" or whatever. If you don't have 7zip (you really should), then use the "Send To" context menu choice instead, and use the "compressed (zipped) folder", and again, name it something you'll remember. Make yourself a New Folder in your Steam / SteamApps / Common folder (or where ever your Library folder is). Name it something memorable, such as FotRSU121, and then copy that zipped file you just made into the New Folder. Now extract that, and it will be your FotRSU game folder.

Make yourself a MODS folder inside that New FotRSU game folder, and put the FotRSU v1.21 mod into it. Extract that with 7zip (or the Windows utility). Just be careful of the folder structure. Grab the JSGME.zip file from the Extras folder of the mod after the extraction, and drag it to the "root" game folder and extract. Run JSGME.exe and use the MODS folder you already made and then activate FotRSU. It will take several minutes. Now open the MultiSH4.exe file, and type in 3 letters for your Save folder, such as "FRS" or whatever. It should "take" fine. If it does happen to error, select the "FileManager.dll" file in that root game folder, right-click it and choose "Properties". Then clear the tick mark from the "Read-only" box and "OK" that... now try MultiSH4.exe again and set that new Save folder. Once you have that, run LAA and add SH3.exe to it for a "True" setting, or use the 4gig Patch file, or the NTcore utility - pick your poison. The other two are not included with the mod though. You are now set to play "plain" FotRSU. You can grab and combination of the AddInModPak mods, being careful of the numbering scheme.

If you already had used MultiSH4 and have a folder named "FRS", as in my example above, then open that FRS folder in your Documents folder, and delete its contents prior to playing FotRSU v1.21. After that, on most systems, you can double-click on the SH4.exe file, and it will If not, then you'll probably have to use the Steam app on your computer, log-in, and "Add a non-Steam game" to the Steam Start Menu, and it should run it fine through that. I have to do that with my SH3 Steam copy on this Win7 desktop.

Doing the above, you can keep your original Steam install as "Stock", and mod copies of the install as you see fit, and each of those copies have their own Save folder, greatly reducing the possibility of cross-contamination...
First off, thanks for taking the time to write that out, Propbeanie.

Second, I'm in the midst of reinstalling but have reached a stopping place. When I extracted and restarted JSGME, it already had four mods enabled when I opened the interface. I had run Your Uninstaller and CCleaner to remove Steam, FotRSUE, and SH4 and then restarted, so this should not have happened. I've tried searching for JSGME and Jones through Windows Explorer and Your Uninstaller to no avail. Any idea where else this could have been stored?

Incidentally, the grey check box for "Read Only" is not checked in the SH4 folder when downloaded through the Steam app.

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 09-09-20 at 07:16 PM.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-20, 07:16 PM   #1788
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
I have been trying for over an hour (real time) in the USS Sargo (SS-188) to replicate, although I do not have the "450_Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visability" mod. I would say try and remove that, then try again - but it might be too late and the Save data is already corrupt. Either that, or do not scroll around to 340... Are you on the surface, or submerged for the CTD? I have tried both, both with and without sonar contacts on the map. I have even had a contact that I could see lighting the green light, but could barely hear, and asked to sonarman the range to target, and got 33890 yards... I've pinged targets and gotten ranges just fine. I have turned my boat to where the same target was close to the 340 relative and been fine. I of course, only have one ship sunk thus far in my attempts, but I am off Cam Ranh Bay, and have had to dodge two IJN subs already... - and I encountered a Shinshu Maru transport group, as well as a small task force, both headed southwest, and both of which almost took me out of the game. I did manage to sink one small transport, and could possibly have had more if not for the duds... but anyway, I have not had any issues with the Sargo and sonar during testing thus far. I will keep trying though, as well as in the other boats, since they all use the same gear for the most part...
When I started this career I first unloaded all mods from JSGME, and deleted both the Save and Rich Save folders from the SH4 Documents folder. Then, started a new career with the patch and above Mods applied. It is "possible" that there was some residual in what was left in the SH4 files that could cause a problem, although the Sonar station seems a funny place to have a conflict. I also reused the career Captain's name, which might also affect something.

My solution is this: I will delete the SH4 game folder completely, copy over a new Pristine version v1.5, and reestablish the game per normal protocols. That will give me a completely clean test bed for v1.21 (or v1.2p as downloaded) from which to see if I can get past the funky sonar station issue I encountered. To keep things even I will use exactly the same mods as before in an attempt to limit the variables. I'll let you know. Meanwhile, i wouldn't spend any more time on it until I can see what happens in the new version.

Thanks!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 10:03 AM   #1789
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Installing 1.21p fresh (starting with a pristine SH4 1.5 install, yada yada) hoping it will fix things. 1.21 (no -p) was buggy for me. I couldn't even finish one patrol in an S-boat (out of Manila, then Surabaya as Manila was overrun). Constant CTD's whenever I tried to get to my new home port, and at other random times. Super frustrating.
From memory, there were no changes to the S-Boats between v1.1 and v1.2 (or 21). The only changes to those boats were to add a couple of clickable items to the tracking table in v1.1. No deck gun changes, no sonar changes, no radar changes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
First off, thanks for taking the time to write that out, Propbeanie.

Second, I'm in the midst of reinstalling but have reached a stopping place. When I extracted and restarted JSGME, it already had four mods enabled when I opened the interface. I had run Your Uninstaller and CCleaner to remove Steam, FotRSUE, and SH4 and then restarted, so this should not have happened. I've tried searching for JSGME and Jones through Windows Explorer and Your Uninstaller to no avail. Any idea where else this could have been stored?

Incidentally, the grey check box for "Read Only" is not checked in the SH4 folder when downloaded through the Steam app.
Like with other aspects of the game or modding, these files are stored in a few places. For JSGME, if you keep your MODS folder with all of the mods in it, that folder also holds the back-up files folders (hidden) for the activations, including the log files and actual original file copies. Then there is the "JSGME.ini" file inside the MODS folder. All put together, it keeps track of what you have activated. If the files get "out of sync", JSGME might show mods activated that aren't there, or it might not show mods that are activated that can no longer be removed from the base game files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
When I started this career I first unloaded all mods from JSGME, and deleted both the Save and Rich Save folders from the SH4 Documents folder. Then, started a new career with the patch and above Mods applied. It is "possible" that there was some residual in what was left in the SH4 files that could cause a problem, although the Sonar station seems a funny place to have a conflict. I also reused the career Captain's name, which might also affect something.

My solution is this: I will delete the SH4 game folder completely, copy over a new Pristine version v1.5, and reestablish the game per normal protocols. That will give me a completely clean test bed for v1.21 (or v1.2p as downloaded) from which to see if I can get past the funky sonar station issue I encountered. To keep things even I will use exactly the same mods as before in an attempt to limit the variables. I'll let you know. Meanwhile, i wouldn't spend any more time on it until I can see what happens in the new version.
Here again, just make sure when you fellows are setting up for the mod, that you are in fact getting it "clean".
  1. De-activate all mods in JSGME
  2. If re-using the MODS folder, be sure and delete the "JSGME.ini" file in that folder, as well as the hidden folders "!BACKUP" and "!INSTLOGS" folders. Better still would be to copy what you have in the current MODS folder over to a new MODS folder, less those three mentioned here.
  3. Make certain you have a "pristine" install, either via Rockin Robbins' Silent Hunter 4 Corruption Management System (SH4CMS) (which I'll remind you that a link to the download can be found in the "Extras" folder), or by the use of an archive set of your own, or by a re-install. It should not be necessary to use registry cleaners, but if you are familiar with their use and possible short-comings, have at it.
  4. When deleting the Save folder, you ~must~ delete the entire "cfg" folder contents, and not just the "RichSavedGames" and "SaveGames" folders. While several of the files in that "root" cfg folder hold your screen resolution and a few other settings it would be nice to keep, they also hold portions of your game progress and various game settings you do NOT want kept. Delete from "cfg" inside of the "Data" folder, on down. Re-do your screen and gameplay settings after mod activation.
Just to be certain...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 01:02 PM   #1790
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Default NCV_Shinano

Many, many thanks to JapLance for seeing and answering my SOS.

This unit was very poorly.

some of the issues he encountered were as follows:
01- Inverted Normals in deck 3D model (solves transparency of texture).
02- Unwelded vertexes (removes weird shadowing on flight deck).
03- Changed .val file for the Yamato one,and adjusted to Shinano hull. Repositioned wake nodes in main .dat file (fixes wake).
04- Removed Specularmask controllers in materials nodes.

Plus remapping the support columns beneath the flight deck. And sorting out other 3D and texture issues elsewhere. Even the hull has received a new coat.

Again, many thanks JapLance, to a job well done.
Old 09-10-20, 04:04 PM   #1791
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

Thanks skipper
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 06:31 PM   #1792
Capt RAP
Watch

Downloads: 256
Default Flags

Hello
I am seeing Merchant flags on IJN warships and IJN flags on Merchants after the patch?
Thanks
CAPT RAP
Capt RAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 09:04 PM   #1793
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

BAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTHING IS WORKING!!!!!!!!

There goes my hard work in my SH4 career....

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-20, 12:40 AM   #1794
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Again, many thanks JapLance, to a job well done.

I still think something else could be done to that Shinano model. The stern part still looks a bit odd to me.
Old 09-11-20, 09:20 AM   #1795
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt RAP View Post
Hello
I am seeing Merchant flags on IJN warships and IJN flags on Merchants after the patch?
Thanks
CAPT RAP
Ratz... they are... Anything with a meatball still gets sunk though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
BAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTHING IS WORKING!!!!!!!!

There goes my hard work in my SH4 career....
Nutz. We were hoping beyond hope you could get things back... probably once you brought that v1.21 in though, it overwrote the v1.1 of the Save data... Just be sure an wipe things clean and de-fumigate and sanitize before running v1.21p, which we will have to update - again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapLance View Post

I still think something else could be done to that Shinano model. The stern part still looks a bit odd to me.
Everyone's stern part looks odd from most angles... exceptin' my wife's, of course...

Old 09-11-20, 09:25 AM   #1796
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
From memory, there were no changes to the S-Boats between v1.1 and v1.2 (or 21). The only changes to those boats were to add a couple of clickable items to the tracking table in v1.1. No deck gun changes, no sonar changes, no radar changes...

Like with other aspects of the game or modding, these files are stored in a few places. For JSGME, if you keep your MODS folder with all of the mods in it, that folder also holds the back-up files folders (hidden) for the activations, including the log files and actual original file copies. Then there is the "JSGME.ini" file inside the MODS folder. All put together, it keeps track of what you have activated. If the files get "out of sync", JSGME might show mods activated that aren't there, or it might not show mods that are activated that can no longer be removed from the base game files...

Here again, just make sure when you fellows are setting up for the mod, that you are in fact getting it "clean".
  1. De-activate all mods in JSGME
  2. If re-using the MODS folder, be sure and delete the "JSGME.ini" file in that folder, as well as the hidden folders "!BACKUP" and "!INSTLOGS" folders. Better still would be to copy what you have in the current MODS folder over to a new MODS folder, less those three mentioned here.
  3. Make certain you have a "pristine" install, either via Rockin Robbins' Silent Hunter 4 Corruption Management System (SH4CMS) (which I'll remind you that a link to the download can be found in the "Extras" folder), or by the use of an archive set of your own, or by a re-install. It should not be necessary to use registry cleaners, but if you are familiar with their use and possible short-comings, have at it.
  4. When deleting the Save folder, you ~must~ delete the entire "cfg" folder contents, and not just the "RichSavedGames" and "SaveGames" folders. While several of the files in that "root" cfg folder hold your screen resolution and a few other settings it would be nice to keep, they also hold portions of your game progress and various game settings you do NOT want kept. Delete from "cfg" inside of the "Data" folder, on down. Re-do your screen and gameplay settings after mod activation.
Just to be certain...
I think I'm good - for this new iteration (v1.2p) this is how I handled the "install":
1. All mods unloaded/deactivated in JSGME;
2. I have an archived "pristine" v1.5 that I copy over to my game directory AFTER deleting the current game. The "pristine" version includes a new MODS folder and an untouched version of JSGME, including the .ini file, so what I end up with in the game folder is a clean game and a clean JSGME;
3. Deleted the entire SH4 folder and input my custom settings after loading the gme.

I've started a new career out of Manila on 12-08-41 in USS Spearfish (SS-190), a Sargo boat.

BTW, the second patrol assignment I ran across an IJN TF with several Fubuki destroyers. I cheated and looked at them with the external camera and noticed the flags were different. They had a lovely silken finish, but they were "meatballs" rather than the "rising sun" flag I expected to see on a warship. Was this deliberate?

The destroyers were found at 126-05E, 5-35N on 01-09-42 at 0430 .

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-20, 09:33 AM   #1797
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
... BTW, the second patrol assignment I ran across an IJN TF with several Fubuki destroyers. I cheated and looked at them with the external camera and noticed the flags were different. They had a lovely silken finish, but they were "meatballs" rather than the "rising sun" flag I expected to see on a warship. Was this deliberate?

The destroyers were found at 126-05E, 5-35N on 01-09-42 at 0430 .
Quote:
Hello
Thanks
CAPT RAP
Quote:
Ratz... they are... Anything with a meatball still gets sunk though!
We will try to gather up enough for another update later this evening... - two 'experienced' modders missing the obvious...

Old 09-11-20, 11:55 AM   #1798
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapLance View Post

Looking forward to seeing the changes...
Old 09-11-20, 12:00 PM   #1799
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Hello
Thanks
CAPT RAP
Got a fix on this... Not sure how that got past me... propbeanie the fix is on the server.
Old 09-11-20, 01:48 PM   #1800
propbeanie

How it got past you? What about the fellow who did untold number of "start" tests? How'd he not see it?...