SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-20, 11:47 AM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Manila Minefields etc

Always bothered me how in the sim Manila Bay is is unguarded for most part, thus relatively easy to enter for absurd recon missions and agent drop offs lol especially when in US hands at start of war. Within parameters of the sim and what could find online, recreated the minefields at entrance to Manila Bay and set depth so they are a threat to surface ships as well. Us side of things, works well but had to reroute traffic of course to use the safe "lane" when entering mouth of bay and near Corregidor. One errant PT boat ran right into a mine, obliterated lol

Anyways, far as japanese minefields at Manila Bay have yet to locate anything. Anyone have some intel? I have the entrance fortified well with patrol and shore batteries as am sure it was,
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 12:19 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I have been looking for several years now, for documentation on any of the Japanese minefields, anywhere, whether the Philippines, Okinawa, Formosa, Home Waters, etc... and have found basically ~nothing~ nada zilch NULL... I wonder where the devs got the info they used for Jap_Minefields.mis? If they had info - other than "Tsunami Straits were mined. Korean Straits were mined." etc.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 01:04 PM   #3
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1108
Uploads: 10

Default Maps

Old 09-28-20, 11:53 AM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post

Thanks for the post. Bottom image seems to match the minefields placed in TMO
Old 09-28-20, 03:44 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I have been looking for several years now, for documentation on any of the Japanese minefields, anywhere, whether the Philippines, Okinawa, Formosa, Home Waters, etc... and have found basically ~nothing~ nada zilch NULL... I wonder where the devs got the info they used for Jap_Minefields.mis? If they had info - other than "Tsunami Straits were mined. Korean Straits were mined." etc.
Yes definitely not easy to find. Always felt the threat of mines is something important that was mostly left out. Ideally, watch crew would spot them and report them like an enemy vessels, but when much closer but for some reason they made them an underwater threat only when they were a surface problem as well. One (known) sub (Flier) was lost a mine in Balabac Straits. I added the Balabac Strait minefields, which from what read essentially narrowed the passage making it easier to control. Set the mine depth to 0 so they are a threat to surfaced vessels. They are visible as part of them stick out of the water. Also, have added small minefields with very few mines or to represent "loose" mines near harbors and fields. Sort of represents the bad luck of running across one. Since lookouts do not report them, and trying to decided which route to take. In readme will warn of them but think perhaps marking known minefields on the nav map or if possible, create a mine that floats along the lines of a life raft, so it can be detected by visual sensors and reported.

Side note. I added the March 30/31 TF 58 air strikes on Palau and Yap as well April 1st strike on Woleai to TMO campaign and placed Allied mines in approaches and entrances of the various harbors(TBF's laid mines at Palau) Loaded up a save as a "test" and watched a 6 ship convoy stumbled into the minefield at West entrance to Palau. Three ships hit mines, two sunk, one was crippled and down by bow but did not sink, required 25 4 inch deck gun rounds. Fun to watch.

The US minefields are Manila and Subic in 41 are working nicely also.