SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: How fast you want the Cloud's to move in the Sky
I like them the way they are 96 20.43%
I want them a Little Slower 94 20.00%
I want them a Lot Slower 157 33.40%
Please give us Optional Install's 142 30.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-07, 02:28 PM   #901
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Quote:
Originally Posted by leovampire

I was up until 6 a.m. this morning working on the ship reflections actualy so I am working on getting a vs 2 of the ship reflection enhancment out to fix some of the problems people are seeing and experiencing. So yes that is being fixed and I am trying to test as much of it as possable to make sure the problems there stop.

I usualy work on 2 to 3 part's of the mod a day that I can test and see in game. Just a little slow going because of so many ship's to deal with. But cool and no worries with talking about it. Plus I have to fix that Damm green line that is seen on the incertion raft's LOL!! :rotfl:
I don't want to add anything more to your 'to-do' list, but has anyone else noticed you can see ships' reflections in foggy conditions even when the ship itself is obscured?

:hmm:
Actualy Bill that is part of the on going problem with the Fog that I keep trying to find a cure for. The same thing that causes the Bridge crew to become transparent in fog conditions and more. Always looking for the cure just takes time to go through every file and every bit of info in each of them.
leovampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 04:39 PM   #902
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default Okay new work off to the testers now

So lets see how it goes and the reactions and if I need to make more changes or not. It involves new work from me and Jaketoox plus the new rain work from FooFighters that compliments what Canonicus already did in his and added to this mod. I also down sized the star's just a tad as well seeing a few mentioned it but made it so they are still visable unlike originaly in the game.

But this is just for the sun and moon right now not any of Kriller2's work yet as he is still in the middle of making that end perfect.

Once I feel comfortable with the way the search light's and what not work I will send that off to the testers as well and see what they feel and think about them too.

What is nice about the new adjustments I did is now there is some slight difference as to when the halo comes into play. On the sun set it takes longer to go away and on the sun rise it takes longer for it to appear so it slightly changes the sun rise and sun set look instead of them being exactly the same.

When Kriller2 get's to me some new test work that he is doing I am going to see if I can get differn't color's for the sun rise and set to add even more of a change between both.

Last edited by leovampire; 10-15-07 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-15-07, 05:27 PM   #903
panthercules
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

I spent much of the commute this afternoon sneaking very brief peeks at the sun in a cloudless sky here, and I've realized that it isn't so much the size of the sun halo that has been bothering me about the way the sun looks in SH4 without the AA Gamma correction/high AA setting (the halo I saw briefly several times this afternoon was actually quite large), as it is the misshapen blob-like appearance and the absence of a clearly defined solar disc at the center of it. I tried to take some pictures of it, and they did capture the size of the halo (compared to the disc) pretty well, but so much is dependent on the metering system of the camera that the pictures don't really show it well (the disc actually does come out black/dark in the pictures, which is not the way it looks IRL). Of course, the fact that I was using a crappy cellphone camera might have had something to do with that

Also, there seems to be something funky going on with the way this stuff looks on my 8800GTS card. I can't remember if this was mentioned before, but the same settings combination that makes the sun's halo show up (turning AA Gamma correction off and AA down to 4x or lower) also makes it shine through the sub's superstructure - if you crank up the AA or turn AA Gamma on, the halo disappears but at least it doesn't shine through the sub. I guess the chance of getting everything to work well at the same time is probably small, but every screenshot you and the testers post here shows it looking better and better, so I can't wait for whatever you can get out the door, whenever it's ready. Keep up the good work
Old 10-15-07, 05:36 PM   #904
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default The problem is the game needs more available adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercules
I spent much of the commute this afternoon sneaking very brief peeks at the sun in a cloudless sky here, and I've realized that it isn't so much the size of the sun halo that has been bothering me about the way the sun looks in SH4 without the AA Gamma correction/high AA setting (the halo I saw briefly several times this afternoon was actually quite large), as it is the misshapen blob-like appearance and the absence of a clearly defined solar disc at the center of it. I tried to take some pictures of it, and they did capture the size of the halo (compared to the disc) pretty well, but so much is dependent on the metering system of the camera that the pictures don't really show it well (the disc actually does come out black/dark in the pictures, which is not the way it looks IRL). Of course, the fact that I was using a crappy cellphone camera might have had something to do with that

Also, there seems to be something funky going on with the way this stuff looks on my 8800GTS card. I can't remember if this was mentioned before, but the same settings combination that makes the sun's halo show up (turning AA Gamma correction off and AA down to 4x or lower) also makes it shine through the sub's superstructure - if you crank up the AA or turn AA Gamma on, the halo disappears but at least it doesn't shine through the sub. I guess the chance of getting everything to work well at the same time is probably small, but every screenshot you and the testers post here shows it looking better and better, so I can't wait for whatever you can get out the door, whenever it's ready. Keep up the good work
To work with or I have to find more as I am constantly doing through every file I go through in the game's inner workings.

It is very hard to totaly imitate real word effect's especialy when so much more comes into play in our world vs the game world like SMOG and OZONE layer and UV lighting. You can only go so far in the game and only with what is available. Nothing is explained in how to change this and do that and I have to find it all out on my own kind of like deconstructing the game to see how it works and comes into play.

Another thing you have to keep in mind when your looking at that in real life are you looking at how the shadow effect's are created and when and how they change and react as well as the reflection end of it on objects and the water. How much the light influences the coloring of everything as well. Absorbtion and refraction and reflection and so much more.

There are a ton of angles you have to look at in the game and how it does this and that with every change you make. When someone send's me a new dds file or texture file to use I still have to adjust things to make it look and act right or as best as possable. It is easy to look at it from one point of view or camera focus but how does it look in all of them?

I feel sorry for game Developers because they are on a dead line and have to rush through this stuff and it is impossable to have that in the back of your mind and make it both look and act right. Between LBO and now this end of the work I have MONTHS of time and effert into this and Kriller2 does as well for his end of it. If everyone who made the games had the time we do then what we would get out of the box would be just as good if not better seeing they have better programs and tools available to them for the actual work.

Last edited by leovampire; 10-15-07 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-15-07, 05:45 PM   #905
subcpo
Sailor man

Downloads: 14

I got this working last night...

Just absolutly perfect.

You have captured everything when riding on the surface...I am taking this to my sub tonight to show some of my guys.

<S> for a job well done!

Sub
subcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 06:35 PM   #906
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10
Default OK, not quite a dozen this time LOL

I must say, excellent work guys. I love the new stuff (and the option for lens flare or not). Warning, I am NOT what one unnamed gentleman referred to as his idea of a "manly man sub skipper" (I wear glasses, and they are usually a little dirty ) so it looks perfectly normal to me for the lens flare to be there.

Anywho, here's some shots taken in clear skies and cloudy skies for the new sun effects. The moon will have to wait until after my Falcons get their tail feathers plucked on MNF.

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 07:44 PM   #907
panthercules
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
I must say, excellent work guys. I love the new stuff (and the option for lens flare or not). Warning, I am NOT what one unnamed gentleman referred to as his idea of a "manly man sub skipper" (I wear glasses, and they are usually a little dirty ) so it looks perfectly normal to me for the lens flare to be there.
LOL - This unnamed gentleman also wears glasses - but not when I'm on the bridge - Imagination and immersion is a wonderful thing, and if I'm on the bridge then it must be a long time ago (when I was an appropriate age for a sub skipper and therefore before I needed glasses) - besides, they would get in the way of the binoculars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
Anywho, here's some shots taken in clear skies and cloudy skies for the new sun effects. The moon will have to wait until after my Falcons get their tail feathers plucked on MNF.
Those screen shots are looking great - and maybe you can take some solace in the fact that our Falcons are playing maybe the only other team I know of with about as bad an overall record on MNF as we have Obviously, the MNF schedule was drawn up before a certain dog debacle came to light
Old 10-15-07, 08:01 PM   #908
billko
中国水兵

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercules

To work with or I have to find more as I am constantly doing through every file I go through in the game's inner workings.

It is very hard to totaly imitate real word effect's especialy when so much more comes into play in our world vs the game world like SMOG and OZONE layer and UV lighting. You can only go so far in the game and only with what is available. Nothing is explained in how to change this and do that and I have to find it all out on my own kind of like deconstructing the game to see how it works and comes into play.

Another thing you have to keep in mind when your looking at that in real life are you looking at how the shadow effect's are created and when and how they change and react as well as the reflection end of it on objects and the water. How much the light influences the coloring of everything as well. Absorbtion and refraction and reflection and so much more.

There are a ton of angles you have to look at in the game and how it does this and that with every change you make. When someone send's me a new dds file or texture file to use I still have to adjust things to make it look and act right or as best as possable. It is easy to look at it from one point of view or camera focus but how does it look in all of them?

I feel sorry for game Developers because they are on a dead line and have to rush through this stuff and it is impossable to have that in the back of your mind and make it both look and act right. Between LBO and now this end of the work I have MONTHS of time and effert into this and Kriller2 does as well for his end of it. If everyone who made the games had the time we do then what we would get out of the box would be just as good if not better seeing they have better programs and tools available to them for the actual work.
I got an idea... make the sun as bright as the real thing (heck someone already wants you to make it the same *size*) and let the player's eyes make their own halo.

Bill
Old 10-15-07, 08:33 PM   #909
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default actualy billko what needs to be done is this

Someone needs to post screen shots of the game patched to 1.3 with none of our add on's in the game in clear sky's no fog / parcial clouds / over cast / and in the differn't sea states as well. Then do it again with differn't fog state's all over again.

Then do it with our add on's and let them see the difference.

They have gotten too sploiled and forget what the vanilla game looks like and how it act's.

If you go to the screen shot page in the main thread for SHIV and look at those pictures then look at them now it is just totaly black and white in looks and effect's.
Old 10-15-07, 08:42 PM   #910
MONOLITH
Grey Wolf

LEO, my PM box is empty now.
Old 10-15-07, 08:44 PM   #911
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default look at this sub and the ocean effects before my LBO mod work

Old 10-15-07, 08:47 PM   #912
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default the moon and reflections before our work here

Old 10-15-07, 09:10 PM   #913
MONOLITH
Grey Wolf

The new blue waters of Freemantle;

Old 10-16-07, 02:10 AM   #914
billko
中国水兵

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Someone needs to post screen shots of the game patched to 1.3 with none of our add on's in the game in clear sky's no fog / parcial clouds / over cast / and in the differn't sea states as well. Then do it again with differn't fog state's all over again.

Then do it with our add on's and let them see the difference.

They have gotten too sploiled and forget what the vanilla game looks like and how it act's.

If you go to the screen shot page in the main thread for SHIV and look at those pictures then look at them now it is just totaly black and white in looks and effect's.
I don't want to live that nightmare all over again! (But now you've posted some stock shots and you're forcing me to relive it!) I was just being silly, but hey, that would be cool if you could produce a sun that would burn a hole in paper if you put a magnifying glass to it.

Bill
Old 10-16-07, 10:54 AM   #915
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

If you want some early shots before 1.3 and such, just go over to the screenshot thread for the early day shots. Man, Leo, the shots of the surfing sub are scary.