SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-10, 03:46 PM   #31
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

Hm.. I am somewhat comfortable... with that interview... sure.. only "one" type is bad. But.. hey.. we get WOLFPACKS!! Also the interaction and role type interaction with the crew sounds like a lot of immersion which seem Sh5 to be much more real than SH3 ever was... not only 24 hour patrols everytime again and again...now we have interaction with the campaign events and we can change the war line... sounds really cool.

ok.. a type II coulf really be in the game.. but all in all the game concept of the devs seems good for me!
Old 01-19-10, 03:47 PM   #32
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Im sorry, but the Campaign really should have run up until the German surrender, the 1943 end makes zero sense to me -and IMHO cannot really be justified by anything other than the devs simply ran out of time i dont think anyone saw that one coming..

There is no denying the Type VII model and full interior look superb, but at the expense of the Type 9 and 2?
I dunno, that is one trade off that REALLY hurts

Everything else sounds (and looks) very promising but Its a real shame that it all a bit marred by the above mentioned.
NOrmally I would be dancing on the cealing over wolfpacks and how greay the campaign sounds (premeture ending aside)

I guess what gets me down most is that its kinda dashed my hopes of seeing British/US subs or Destroyers become playable though future official addons -Since the missing Uboat types will now almost certainly take priority for any potential future addons...

Still, I will reserve final judgment until I have actually played the final game.
Anyway, thanks for Interview Neal, Dan & Alex.

Last edited by JU_88; 01-19-10 at 05:28 PM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 03:51 PM   #33
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote Subsim: Modding, everybody asked me about this, the games before have been open to a certain extent to mod, and modding is a big thing, a lot of credibility on modding. How open is this game to modding?

Alex: Modding? Let's say like this: the modders will be extremely happy with Silent Hunter 5. It's quite a bit more open than the previous, and you surely will find some nice surprises.
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 03:59 PM   #34
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I'm a little suprised at the fact there is only one U-boat type and an initial ending date of 1943 but i'm confident the modding community will soon be hard at work weaving their magic.

Who knows.....future add ons may well expand the game even further in time and equipment areas.

I'm very appreciative to you for the release of the interview

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:07 PM   #35
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Looks like we need to coarse the GWX guys out of retirement They left GWX4 because SH5 was already going to cover much of what they had planned, wonder if this is still the case?
Old 01-19-10, 04:09 PM   #36
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

Having read the interview I'm... pessimistic about SHV.

Time will tell, but IMHO the game has been rushed to get it into the shops and making a profit. I guess I'm used to the supermods that have been created for SH3 and SH4 and expected too much from SHV.

Thank you for releasing the interview - it's the best information I've seen so far and it's an example of how well subsim is regarded in the dev community that the dev team chose him for this interview. Bravo, Neal.

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:11 PM   #37
capthelm
Captain

Downloads: 32

great see the uboats flood , better damage they say.

"One torpedo ... one ship"
my SH5 lighting mod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkM5k8SXpWo
my SH5 audio mod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIN5RHeL8B8
capthelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:12 PM   #38
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Looks promising. It has quite a few good ideas and is a new step in the direction of the series. It's definately not SHIII with better graphics, it's a whole new idea of its own, that'll be good and bad for those who love it and hate it themselves.
It's nice to see it being open-ended towards Modding, that's a refreshing step in definately the right direction, and if sales go well, it's very likely, given the way the series has been so far that expansion packs will be sold, perhaps in the form of DLC, which seems to be the norm these days. What these packs will do? Perhaps add in the Type II, perhaps add in 1944, who knows?
But, unlike many, I'm not giving up on it just yet. Thanks for the interview Neal, I'm looking forward to seeing what other tasty tidbits you manage to squeeze out of the Dev crew

Oh, and Moderators...here, this one is on me :

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:23 PM   #39
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

I can see it now...

Quote:
Available Upgrades:

Schnorkel - Allows for use of diesel engines while submerged.......Price: 100 Renown

BOLD decoys - Fool your pursuers with these noisemaker decoys.......Price 100 Renown

Type IXD Submarine - Extend your operational range! Six torpedo tubes!.......Price: 500 Renown

Campaign years 1943 to 1945 - The hunters become the hunted! Can you survive the war?...............Price 1000 Renown

Type IID Submarine - Enjoy the challenge of this mighty mini coastal U-boat!...............Price 400 Renown

Renown points available in the Ubisoft store for just $10.00 per 1000 points
Ah well. I'm a sucker. I'd buy it all.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:24 PM   #40
Brag
Navy Seal

Downloads: 2

Interesting interview. Thanks, Neal!

The Devs' strategic approach makes a lot of sense, quality vs quantity.

I like the type IX in sh3 and the great patrols one can have with it. I am perfectly happy with a more realistic VII.. I don't have any problems with the game ending in 1943 as long as the experience of getting there is better than SH3.

Being able to trigger off wolfpacks adds a new dimension to the game.

I don't know how being the XO will work out, but this also add an interesting aspect in which you earn your command.

I'm also glad to see that if morale gets low, it will add to the difficulties.

The real good news is the indication that there is a commitement by UBI to continue with the SH franchise and thet we will see SH6.

Only two months left 'til release
Now, looking forward to the screenies
Order Kingmaker here: http://www.subsim.com/store.html
For Tactics visit:http://www.freewebs.com/kielman/
Brag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:25 PM   #41
Topo65
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 382

If the campaign end in 1943, it's like Das Boot end, when they arrive at Gibraltar.

Thanks for the data. Good Luck, SHV!!!
Topo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:26 PM   #42
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
Im sorry, but the Campaign really should have run up until the German surrender in 1944, the 1943 end makes zero sense to me -and IMHO cannot really be justified by anything other than the devs simply ran out of time i dont think anyone saw that one coming..

There is no denying the Type VII model and full interior look superb, but at the expense of the Type 9 and 2?
I dunno, that is one trade off that REALLY hurts

Everything else sounds (and looks) very promising but Its a real shame that it all a bit marred by the above mentioned.
NOrmally I would be dancing on the cealing over wolfpacks and how greay the campaign sounds (premeture ending aside)

I guess what gets me doen thoug most is that its kinda dashed my hopes of seeing British/US subs or Destroyers become playable though future official addons -Since the missing Uboat types will now almost certainly take priority for any potential future addons...

Still, I will reserve final judgment until I have actually played the final game.
Anyway, thanks for Interview Neal, Dan & Alex.
You been on that draught porridge again

Old 01-19-10, 04:29 PM   #43
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Looks like we need to coarse the GWX guys out of retirement They left GWX4 because SH5 was already going to cover much of what they had planned, wonder if this is still the case?
Well...Ducimus keeps making statements that he would like to "take that wager".....

Me....I'm simply waiting to see the colour of his money

Old 01-19-10, 04:30 PM   #44
Kapitanleutnant
Frogman

Downloads: 22

I'd put £10 on it.
GWX5 would be like a comeback tour of my favourite band.
Old 01-19-10, 04:36 PM   #45
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

All you people who seam happy about wolf-packs...

You do realise that SH5 will only have wolfpacks in the way that SH3 had Stuka Squadrons.