SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-02-17, 09:12 PM   #46
Shadriss
A-ganger

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
I understand that shark-bites were also a problem.
And still is. When I worked at IMF in Bangor, WA, I worked in the TA shop, and there is still (best of my knowledge) a collection of shark teeth that have been pulled from TB-16 arrays over the years. They sometimes still come home with arrays that have been torn to shreds.

Quote:
One thing I would propose though, because I think it would make for a great addition to the game, at the initial "contact encounter" screen before the battle starts (where you can choose to close range and what not) I think that it would be good if we could pick the state of the TA here (streamed or stowed) as well as being told about the depth under the keel to help you make your decision.
This makes sense to me... or barring that, set up the scenarios to ensure adequate depth for the TA droop (assuming that they are modeling that) to keep it off the bottom of any problem you may be in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
US Submarines since 1945 states that the reason the USN went for the retractable design was experience with the clip-ons getting damaged by extended high-speed runs (such as transiting the Pacific) and particularily shark bites.
My experience with the 'clip-on' array was fairly limited... for obvious reasons, we didn't like to put that thing out. The risk in both deployment and retrieval was not insignificant. By the time I hit my second OHIO, they were all but already gone and replaced by inboard TB-23 deployment systems, so I can't really speak to how well those systems handled high speed ops, just the ones in use for the '16 and '23.

And yes. Shark bites are, were, and will likely always be a problem with Towed Arrays.
IMF PACNORWEST
USS ALASKA (SSBN-732 GOLD)
USS ALABAMA (SSBN-731 GOLD)
NAVAL OCEAN PROCESSING FACILITY, WHIDBEY ISLAND
USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734 GOLD)
Shadriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 05:47 AM   #47
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

The towed array already stops working if you're less than 200ft off the bottom, the assumption being it is being dragged. Now you can abstract that as it being retrieved if you want to, since it does not actually render (still haven't figured out a way to do so that doesn't have huge issues). Disallowing the array because shallow waters, I don't particularily feel like penalizing the player just because combat takes place in the shallows.

People are already having trouble understanding why running into enemy groups at flank speed starts them off in a disadvantageous position in combat.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 07:07 AM   #48
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
The towed array already stops working if you're less than 200ft off the bottom, the assumption being it is being dragged. Now you can abstract that as it being retrieved if you want to, since it does not actually render (still haven't figured out a way to do so that doesn't have huge issues). Disallowing the array because shallow waters, I don't particularily feel like penalizing the player just because combat takes place in the shallows.

People are already having trouble understanding why running into enemy groups at flank speed starts them off in a disadvantageous position in combat.
Yeah I completely get where you're coming from, and understand why you wouldn't want something like that wasn't really what I had in mind to completely disallow it, just give the player some control over its state heading into combat, much like you can pick your engagement range or go over your torpedo load-out / tube configuration.

I hate to always keep looking back to it (since it is a different game) but, I was just figuring that the TA would be done somewhere along the same lines as Sub Command / DW where you could stream it or reel it in as needed.

I may be in the minority here as well but, while I'd like to see the TA, not being able to really doesn't bother me too much because I think even if we could visualize it, it may not be easy for it to look "natural" (as in all kinds of abrupt angles vs. something that is floating with slack in it)
Old 08-03-17, 11:26 AM   #49
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210

All kinds of abrupt angles is what I remember the TA looking like in DW...
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 07:47 PM   #50
Shadow
Torpedoman

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 2

Oh, one suggestion. I don't know if it's been changed lately, but it'd be nice if campaign missions began with a weak, possibly faded contact in the bearing the engagement screen showed. Distance could be completely off, but I'd like but a direction.

Can't remember how many times I've started a mission in a hurry, forgetting to check the contact's bearing on the aforementioned screen and then having no clue where to look once in-mission. May not be much of an issue aboard a Los Angeles, but it's a completely different scenario driving a Skipjack in '68. Particularly against enemy subs.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 11:38 AM   #51
Shadriss
A-ganger

Downloads: 89

It's an issue with the '88s as well. I've done that same thing a number of times as well. A reviewable message log might address that problem as well.
IMF PACNORWEST
USS ALASKA (SSBN-732 GOLD)
USS ALABAMA (SSBN-731 GOLD)
NAVAL OCEAN PROCESSING FACILITY, WHIDBEY ISLAND
USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734 GOLD)
Shadriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 01:16 PM   #52
Templar_4450th
Watch

Downloads: 31

Wasn't the original mod of the NT-37 completed by 1967? Basically just a Mk37 with Otto fuel engine... effective range of 15,000y at 36knt. If that thing was available I wouldn't even consider the Mk45. In a "SHTF" cold war gone hot scenario such a weapon (or field mods) would likely be fast-tracked if it was deemed that current weapons were behind the curve.

Website with some decent info on post-ww2 US torps:
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WTUS_PostWWII.php

EDIT: Scratch that, just found documentation stating that the Mk37 was being tested with the otto fuel engine in 1968... so at the start of the in-game 1968 campaign it wouldn't have even come close to deployment even with rising tensions pushing development.
Templar_4450th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 12:26 AM   #53
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar_4450th View Post
EDIT: Scratch that, just found documentation stating that the Mk37 was being tested with the otto fuel engine in 1968... so at the start of the in-game 1968 campaign it wouldn't have even come close to deployment even with rising tensions pushing development.
Well there are a few things here. You are correct the 37C was under testing until 1973, but from what I've read it wasn't really favored by the Navy because full-scale procurement probably would have jeopardized the Mk 48 program which was vastly more capable (and probably quite a bit more expensive).

The other thing is, the 37C was designed as a kit, to be shipped out as parts and installed on existing Mk 37 torpedoes either pier-side or probably even aboard tenders (vs sending whole weapons back to the manufacturer). On top of this a lot of the parts it used (namely the engine of the Mk 46) was stuff that was already in inventory. Not to say that they could have had it done in a weekend but I think that they could have had it out before 73 had they felt they needed to.

There was also a guidance update that came along with the otto engine and while this was probably a good improvement over the Mk 37, I think if that had been omitted it probably would have reduced the development time as well.
Old 08-16-17, 08:12 PM   #54
Topo65
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 382

Check this update info about 1.07! Greats news!
Quote:
Version 1.07
Quote:
In Progress

Version 1.07 is a major re-working of the user interface and finalising of the crew voices. Note that additional ships, weapons and helicopters have been removed for now while we focus on getting the GUI tested and deployed.

The new GUI functionality is mostly redundant such that Cold Waters can be played predominately from the keyboard as it was prior to 1.07. Access to the new GUI functionality is via tabs which are minimsed by default with the exception of weapon buttons which now appear on the Weapons panel and the Periscope/ESM toolbar which auto appears once masts are raised.

General
Removed LogVoiceVolume from default/hud/default.txt
Added options slider for crew voice volume
Added option for tooltips on/off (default on)

Combat
AI firing missile, torpedo, mortar, shell or depth bomb drops out of time compression
config.txt MAD sensor range decreased to 400 yards
Added status icons for auto depth and course changes
Stores renamed to Weapons and redesigned
Buttons corresponding to most keys added
Tooltips added across all GUI buttons
Optional sim-like navigation commands added

New combat GUI Features:
New tabs for Helm, Dive and Sensors toolbars
Set speed to individual knot value
Direct telegraph
Plot course via map way point
Move submarine to depth in 50 ft increments
Move submarine to periscope depth
Emergency Deep - sets planes/ballast to max down and flank speed
Redesigned ESM meter
Masts toolbar added which appears once periscope or ESM mast is raised
Fully expanded and scrolling message log

Edits to game data files:
dictionary_message_log.txt has been completely overhauled in conjunction with new audio file names.

Last edited by Topo65; 08-17-17 at 12:49 PM.
Topo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 08:56 AM   #55
PacificWolf
Ensign

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj95 View Post
Did everyone just gloss over this part?

Combat
Direct telegraph and set course via map waypoint added
Set depth, periscope depth and emergency blow toolbar added
dictionary_message_log.txt added:

NavigationWaypointInfo=Set Course HEADING: <BRG> NavigationSetCourse=Conn, new course set, heading <BRG> NavigationSetDepth=Conn, changing depth to <DEPTH> <FEET> NavigationSetPeriscopeDepth=Conn, coming to periscope depth NavigationLevelOut=Conn, leveling the boat

Not really what I wanted personally, but I do gather that most of the community will be happy about it.
And this:
Towed array displayed in 3D, ability to extend and withdraw.

"All ships can dive, only submarines can surface"
PacificWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 02:20 AM   #56
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Downloads: 0

Version 1.07b is now available on the beta branch. See this thread for more info:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/541210...7632740192385/
Old 08-18-17, 06:48 AM   #57
Topo65
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 382

Yes! AMAZING WORK! Look and listen incredible! Thanks!
Topo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 08:17 AM   #58
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Auto-steering has arrived. Since it has arrived, I decided I might as well try it. It's nice to see that at least there are still real advantages to steering the thing by yourself, since the automatic control is not very aggressive (even for large depth changes it only goes up to about 10 degree planes or so) so you probably aren't going to dodge torps that way. I also like the fact the auto-recovery functionality is not very good, so you can't expect it to save you from your own aggressive maneuvers with any efficiency.

But since we are having a set course tooltip that doubles as a bearing counter anyway, perhaps it can also have range to the selected point?
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 08:24 AM   #59
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Great changes!
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 09:23 AM   #60
veenee
Watch

Downloads: 114

absolutely love the changes so far, after just one quick mission, thanks!
veenee is offline   Reply With Quote