SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-20, 03:42 AM   #1
BritTorrent
Watch

Downloads: 191
Uploads: 0
Default RSRD Campaign - Contact reports and coastal traffic

I've recently been trying out the RSRD campaign for TMO. I liked the idea of a more historical approach to traffic, and I liked the idea of being able to take part in some of the big battles as well.

I've done a couple of patrols now but I've got a few questions. Let me preface this by saying I read some of the threads about this campaign before I installed it, so I went in understanding that I wouldn't be stumbling onto targets every few minutes like in stock, and I know that sometimes you'll get assigned to a quiet area.

First of all, does this mod disable contact updates? I started in 1941 and I've done two patrols but haven't had a single contact report, single vessel or convoy, appear on my map. I've had a few radio messages asking subs to converge on a certain area to partake in some historical events (way outside of my area unfortunately) but I haven't had any of the usual map reports from HQ like you get in vanilla. Are these present in the mod at all? Or do you just have to wait for radio messages reporting on convoys?

Secondly. Does this mod simulate Japanese coastal merchant traffic? On my first patrol I got assigned a patrol area just off the south coast of Honshu. I did my patrol without any contacts and then on my way back I decided to skirt the Japanese east coast (maybe 20-30 miles offshore) all the way up to Sagami Bay, even infiltrating a few harbors on the way. All I found was a single minesweeper docked in one of the harbors and a few junks (sorry if that isn't the right term, those little sailing vessels with the Japanese style sail plans) hanging around in Sagami bay.

As I say I wasn't expecting to be running into the entire Japanese merchant marine but I would have thought the coasts would be busy with local shipping traffic? Especially so close to Tokyo.

Have I just been unlucky or this is par for the course with RSRD?
BritTorrent is offline   Reply With Quote