SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-18-23, 03:23 AM   #1
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95
Uploads: 0
Default Interesting intermitten crash

I noticed this on KSD, I'll have what i assume to be a bad save and typically I'll delete that save and start at a good save. But instead I restarted the computer and then the save loaded. I've found that if I start the computer and dink around with email, facebook browse the web ect and then start a saved game it will crash, but if I start the computer and then go straight to the game, the save that was crashing on loading will now load properly!
Any of you more tech guys have a clue why that would be?
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-23, 08:53 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

When you run some apps, they leave bits and pieces of their detritus behind, sometimes on purpose. You might find something left behind in the systray from them. Usually though, its just a memory allocation thing, where either the program did not return memory used back to the pool, or Windows itself did not release the memory. Add in to that, SH4 is a 32-bit app, and Windows allocates a finite space in RAM for a 32-bit area that all 32-bit apps use, so if any of the RAM shenanigans are from 32-bit apps, that restricts how much is available for the next 32-bit app, and SH4 in stock trim is borderline on being able to run in the normal allocation. Be sure you have either LAA or 4Gig Patch enabled on the SH4.exe in your KSD folder, but it seems to me that it is on there by default... KSD is a rather large mod.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 11-18-23 at 09:17 AM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-23, 02:40 PM   #3
pmcmull
Bosun

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
I noticed this on KSD, I'll have what i assume to be a bad save and typically I'll delete that save and start at a good save. But instead I restarted the computer and then the save loaded. I've found that if I start the computer and dink around with email, facebook browse the web ect and then start a saved game it will crash, but if I start the computer and then go straight to the game, the save that was crashing on loading will now load properly!
Any of you more tech guys have a clue why that would be?
If a Windows restart solves the problem of being able to load a save and run SH4, that is a sign that memory allocation is the problem. SH4 wants a lot of memory and does not want to share. Close all the browser windows and any other apps that you may have opened.

if you are running on Win10, use the Task Manager to examine what is running and now much memory those are using. Right-click on the taskbar gets you to where you can start Task Manager. Processes can be closed from the Task Manager by doing an 'End Task' but you have to be careful about which to stop.

I have 2 PCs that I can use to run SH4. Both are quite similar but one is slightly faster and has a slightly better video card. On the one that is my office machine, I can't run FOTRSU without crashes because it has too much 'stuff' on it. The other one with a lot less apps and helper programs runs FOTRSU and is stable.
pmcmull is offline   Reply With Quote