SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-20, 08:21 AM   #151
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
Progress Update : I am about half way through the Heavy Cruisers.

The hot weather here in Scotland really took a chunk out of my energy because the PC is in a very sunny spot. The bright sun and heat made it hard to work on the models. Now temperatures are getting back to normal (in the morning at least) I am back on the silhouettes.

When I get to the Battlecruisers and Battleships I will be bundling them all into one pack simply labelled Battleships.

Now that the majority of updated silhouettes and height/draft figures are in FotRSU I would be interested in hearing whether you feel the more accurate numbers are helping with your manual torpedo aiming.
I have not found the data a help yet, but I am not the best at manual "targeting" though... - to say the least! When I try to get a range, I'll get a figures like 3400 yards or 1200 yards (for repeats on the same ship during the same approach phase), when I know the ship is at 2100 yards... - and that has to do with my "skill" at the stadimeter - I am awful... but I do definitely like the consistency and accuracy of the Recognition Manual now. Excellent work, and a job well done, good sir. Looking forward to implementing the CA and BB in FotRSU. There is only one "officially" listed Type=10 Battle Cruiser in the game, and we will probably move it to the battlship Type= section to clear that Type=10 designation for other, future use... That will not affect anything you do though DanielCoffey.

I am also curious about others' accuracy of targeting, since I am so uncoordinated at doing it, which is the reason I do the fast 90... One of these days, I will take my time, study where I am going wrong, and get this right...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-20, 01:22 AM   #152
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

A question for the FotRSU team... is the NCA_P26b Heavy Cruiser used in the game?

The reason I ask is that its weapons are MUCH lighter than the other Heavy Cruisers and its texture is very poor quality indeed. I don't know if that is because it has a bad UV map or if the texture is simply low resolution but the details on it are very poor compared to all other vessels I have encountered so far. Specifically look at the sides of the funnels and the sides of the superstructure. Ugh!

I have also identified a small cable issue with the model which I will raise a bug report for if it is confirmed that the vessel is actually in use.
Old 08-22-20, 06:54 AM   #153
propbeanie

No, the P26b is not called in the mod. I'm not certain of its use in the Pacific, but there was only one there, the Kalinin, of which I can find little info on. It is a Maxim Gorky, a subset of the Kirov Class, which technically is a Heavy Cruiser (CA), but only 7" guns, so is just beyond the definition of a Light Cruiser (CL), according to the 1930 London Naval Treaty. The Soviets did not have anything they called "heavy cruiser" then... another one of those things found by your doing this sil project! If you want to, pass this one on by until after we've had a chance to discuss and look at the ship a little closer, before you go through the trouble to post that cable issue, and we might move it to the CL ranks, after some "skin" surgery... We'll discuss it some between us, and get back with you. The model, like others in FotRSU, was probably destined for a world-wide mod that never happened. Thank you!

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-22-20 at 08:03 AM. Reason: "technical" corrections
Old 08-22-20, 07:28 AM   #154
DanielCoffey
Planesman

If you are interested, the cable issue is on the left side of the forward mast. There are a pair of radio antenna clusters that seem to be attached to nearby spars. One is correctly attached, the other is floating because it is at the wrong angle. I don't know whether it is easier to move the spar or the block of cables as the angle of both ends would need to be corrected.

I have already done the silhouette since it was simple and the "broken" cable was hiding behind the forward funnel. If, by the time I release the Heavy Cruisers the vessel is deleted or redesignated, you can just let me know.

As for the textures (and topless turret mounts)... ugh!
Old 08-22-20, 07:37 AM   #155
propbeanie

Shhh! be quiet about those turrets! We don't need a line of sailors along the railing, trying to see something topless!!!... This is not 1942 Tahiti! Oh the stories my dad has told me! lol

We'll get back to you then DanielCoffey. Thank you!

Old 08-25-20, 09:37 AM   #156
DanielCoffey
Planesman

DOWNLOAD Heavy Cruisers Pack 11 : http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/sile...yCruisers11.7z
File Size : 1.2Mb
Version : 2.0
Release Date : 25/08/2020

Included vessels : NCA_Aoba, NCA_Baltimore, NCA_Deutschland, NCA_Furutaka, NCA_Haguro, NCA_Kent, NCA_Lutzow, NCA_Maya, NCA_Mogami, NCA_Mogami2, NCA_Myoko, NCA_Northampton, NCA_P26b, NCA_Pensacola, NCA_Pensacola_II, NCA_Portland, NCA_Quincy, NCA_SaltLakeCity, NCA_Takao, NCA_Tone, NCA_Tuscaloosa
Old 08-25-20, 10:22 AM   #157
propbeanie

Got 'em! Thank you DanielCoffey. Looks really good! Already incorporated into an FotRSU modlet that will be in the "topper" file for the v1.2 files shortly!

Old 09-01-20, 08:01 AM   #158
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Phew, the NBB Colorado is a bit of a porcupine! I have just finished glueing on all 18 guns in her secondary armament. I am glad I am not putting on any of the smaller AA batteries.

I did notice that the Colorado is a little "fat" when it comes to poly count compared to the rest of the BBs so far. Once I am complete I may put up a league table of overweight vessels (although the German subs will win that one by far).
Old 09-01-20, 09:58 AM   #159
propbeanie

Funny thing is, compare that one to the Stock game's version, and then compare those to say the New Mexico...

Old 09-02-20, 02:37 AM   #160
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Does the NBB Iowa need its hull texture checking? The hull is in the US "dark" paint scheme but all the guns are in the "light" scheme and it looks rather odd.

Old 09-02-20, 08:35 AM   #161
propbeanie

I don't remember off the top of my head, but that might be the case, yes, or rather the gun skin changed... This is why it is so difficult to "skin" the capital ships. s7rikeback might know more about it, but if you look at the M0x calls in the eqp file, the Iowa & Missouri share the gun calls. The New Jersey uses a variant of the Iowa guns, but they are different. Maybe we'll try to see what matches what for the next full-version release, which will be a bit after the one we're working on now. If the New Jersey has darker guns, just use the gun calls from it with the "16inchIowaTriple_USNB" instead.

Old 09-02-20, 09:11 AM   #162
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Hmm... while the turret in the 16in_Iowa_turret_USNB is the correct colour, there are some shape differences in the barrels between the 16in_Iowa_turret_US and 16inchIowaTripleUSNB.

For the purposes of the silhouettes I think I will change the colour of the 16in_Iowa_turret_US barrels to the dark colour and then swap in the turret from the 16inchIowaTripleUSNB. That will give me a dark turret and the correct dark barrels.

EDIT : ah, stuffit - you won't notice the barrel shape when looking at the silhouette. I will go with 16inhIowaTripleUSNB.

EDIT2 : The 5in double turrets on the New Jersey are even lighter than the ones on the Iowa. For the purposes of the Iowa silhouette I picked guns_radars_T08.dds as the texture as it was the darkest.

Last edited by DanielCoffey; 09-02-20 at 09:27 AM.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 04:47 PM   #163
propbeanie

DanielCoffey, as you've seen, anything you do is an improvement over what we had, so we'll leave it to your judgement as to what looks best for the sil, besides the fact that the smaller images "hide" some of the detail on you anyway.

Old 09-11-20, 07:09 AM   #164
DanielCoffey
Planesman

I have found a large number of missing Materials in the NBB_Nagato.dat which are preventing me from finishing the silhouette. Is there any chance someone could take a look and let me know if they are important?

Node 20 NBB_Nagato_FREI01
Node 23 NBB_Nagato_FREI02
Node 44 NBB_Nagato_FREI03
Node 47 NBB_Nagato_FREI04
Node 59 NBB_Nagato_cablu02
Node 62 NBB_Nagato_cablu03
Node 184 NBB_Nagato_Fuso

All normals seem inverted too.

Finally Node 26 NBB_Nagato_Aufbau has anunusual texture. It is looking for NBB_Nagato_Oclusion.dds. Is this correct?

Last edited by DanielCoffey; 09-11-20 at 07:17 AM.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-20, 08:12 AM   #165
propbeanie

From what I can tell DanielCoffey (and it isn't much... ), the first two are associated with the zon file and collision / damage system...

The next two are yardarm type thingies, that apparently are missing texture, being the pink and white portions here:

The next two are part of the cabling, and are seen in the picture here as pink, with a white "background", the first apparently being mostly "horizontal" lines, while the 2nd is mostly "vertical" lines, though I am no expert at decyphering the 3D artwork associated with them:

Last but not least, the last is a hidden "hull", of which is another aspect of the 3D artwork that I do not understand.

Someone with more knowledge of things "3D" would have to help further, but I don't know as any of them would be necessary to "see" in the sil image, other than maybe the yardarms, but... from that distance... ??