SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-17, 11:37 AM   #3601
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
No. There is a fake Narwhal in there, but the Bonus Narwhal is that, a Bonus. Therefore, we are not at liberty to "share" it...
There is however nothing stopping you from providing the necessary files to allow those who have the bonus Narwhal or get it to make it compatible with TMO
Old 01-24-17, 03:29 PM   #3602
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
There is however nothing stopping you from providing the necessary files to allow those who have the bonus Narwhal or get it to make it compatible with TMO
That is a plan, sir!...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-17, 09:55 PM   #3603
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

CapnScurvy, how much of your work from Day of Infamy is going into FOTRS?

I imagine after all the work for FOTRS, you might want to take a break from modding and put Day of Infamy to the back burner for a while and just enjoy playing the game!
Old 01-25-17, 01:28 AM   #3604
Char
Medic

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 0

Have to say, FoTRS has gotten me back into playing SH4 after awhile. So, I suppose I'll bring up something I don't know many have tried or perhaps know about. The Sub School..

Now, Don't laugh, hear me out. I sometimes use it to touch up on controls before getting back into the Pacific after a long time away. However there's a slight Issue. The Artillery Course has been changed by the mod. More Specifically, the units in it. Normally, It's a Stationary Cargo Ship, some large Seaplanes, and a few Zeros... All Unarmed and perfect for training However, The mod makes it so the Cargo Ship as Machine guns which Pepper your Sub, Along with Fully Armed (And DEADLY ACCURATE) Aircraft.

Not all that big of a deal, just figured I'd bring it to you fine folks' attention.
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 06:36 AM   #3605
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440

I've got so many changes on my FotRSU right now, I'm not sure what yours is supposed to look like anymore... Do you have four or seven sub school missions? If you've got four, that's the way it was in FotRS. I ~always~ get sunk in the artillery one. The Merchant is Elite, and the planes are super-duper-deluxe Elite ~AND~ they crash into you when you shoot them down. Needless to say, about the fourth or fifth shot your cannon crew would get off, and you'd be rocked bad, and your boat would be sinking - if you live that long... If you've got seven of the SubSchool missions, then you chose the "Difficult" version, SS05. Even still, I calmed it down some. In both cases, the first thing to do in those missions is to get your boat moving NOW! As soon as your computer will allow you, hit ahead full. You cannot be stationery in that one. If you do the cannon yourself, set a course and then go do the cannon. Maybe you'll make it, maybe not... - Either way, don't use the artillery mission as an example of how to proceed with airplanes in FotRSU. It is recommended that you avoid airplane encounters altogether... The version of FotRSU that has the seven missions, we'll need folks to look those over good, and see if I've got all the key presses matching what FotRSU actually uses...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 09:11 AM   #3606
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Was it SH1, or some other game I can't remember the name of, that you could flip a switch to decide how much to dedicate to charging? or was it a mod??... Is there a way to set it to maybe half is SH4, and you actually only use half the fuel? Couldn't the real boats be set to use 1, 2, 3 or all 4 engines to charge? Seems to me that I'm asking questions that have been asked many times since 2007...
i'll bet that was SH1. Doesn't matter. If you are charging batteries, then the charging motors are running WFO, sucking down as much fuel as they can. On the real submarine if you were going one engine speed, that engine would be throttled up pretty far to get your five knots or so. So you'd have three motors ahead full and one ahead 2/3 maybe--a lot of fuel consumption.

Our game eliminates the finagling with how many engines on charge and how many on propulsion by just doing the proportions. While you're charging, the engine speed you choose determines how much remains available to charge batteries. And that is always used completely. You do have the ability not to charge batteries when you're on the surface to get that last few knots out of the boat while you're running away from that DD.

The bottom line for our boats and the real ones is the same. If you're running submerged all day, surface in the evening and recharging batteries you won't have squat for range. A submarine is a surface raider with the unique ability to dive for the shortest possible amounts of time when its fool life depends on it, then get back to the surface at the earliest possible moment in order to keep batteries charged 100% as much of the time as possible. Anything less cripples your war effort. That's what radar is for.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 09:16 AM   #3607
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix View Post
Oh, I didn't mean literally share it, but something like optional UPC files for example. Something modular where you would have to have the original.
That would be great for a plugin mod. Or maybe we can alter the bonus Narwhal for a second FOTRSU Plugin version, also a bonus mod. That would be the best option because it keeps things simplest for the player.

We don't go into Certified FOTRS Plugin Mod configuration until we get the core mod humming along nicely. Our todo list is staying about the same while we fiddle with campaign stuff. We want this to work really well in single player.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 10:24 AM   #3608
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

When is the next public release?

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 11:19 PM   #3609
Obi Heed Kenobi
Swabbie

Downloads: 136

I, too, am now experiencing the lockup with the twin Bofors. It has happened with both a fore and aft mounting. I can get into both of them fine, move them around, etc. But, the second that I hit "fire," the game CTD.

This is on a Balao, I believe around Mayish 1944.

Let me know if you want my system specs - I'll post 'em tomorrow.
Obi Heed Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 12:24 AM   #3610
Char
Medic

Downloads: 199

I have Four... Version 0.52.

Was just wondering if this was "Normal" Behavior or something brought about as a side effect of the changes. Either way, something to look at, considering the "Training" tag doesn't quite fit given the circumstances. more like "Execution"
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 12:59 AM   #3611
gutted
The Old Man

Starting to run into those whaling convoys more. I ran into 3 such convoys on my way to patrol area 7 near bungo straights from midway (april '44). They pretty much just crossed my path in the span of like 2 days. I was like .. ooooo kaaaaay, i'll sink your 17k tonne factory ship... again. You twisted my arm. Used up 12 fore torpedoes before ever getting on station.

All three had a single Whale Factory Ship, a leading DD, a trailing corvette, a few whaling boats and maybe a supply ship or two.

Old 01-26-17, 01:54 AM   #3612
hyperbolicsphere
Nub

Downloads: 15
Default Want to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That would be great for a plugin mod. Or maybe we can alter the bonus Narwhal for a second FOTRSU Plugin version, also a bonus mod. That would be the best option because it keeps things simplest for the player.

We don't go into Certified FOTRS Plugin Mod configuration until we get the core mod humming along nicely. Our todo list is staying about the same while we fiddle with campaign stuff. We want this to work really well in single player.
Rockin Robbins, I would be interested in helping out with the ongoing development of FOTRS in any way I can. I'm interested in doing this to gain experience at modding SH4. I have never done it before, and I don't know where to begin learning.

I have recently joined this forum, but I came in with a "wish list" of ideas. My main dissatisfaction with the game is that it is simply too easy to find targets and get in a position to sink them easily. Playing at 100% realism in the stock game, I used the sine law to intercept convoys and put myself in a good attacking position, and virtually always destroyed my targets and got away easily. I downloaded TMO for its difficulty, and while the destroyers are more aggressive, I find that trading random map contacts for historically accurate convoy routes makes things even easier, because it's predictable.

I find that no mods currently available do what I want to do. After gaining some experience working for you, I would like to write my own mods.

My "wish list" of mods I would like to write includes the following:
Reduce enemy convoys by at least a factor of 4 from stock level, with corresponding decrease in map contacts.
Increase the speed of most enemy convoys, some to 35kts or even more, depending on the top speed of the ships in the convoys.
Remove the submarine icon from the navigation map.
Display relative azimuth and altitude of the mouse pointer on the bridge to the nearest arcminute when magnification is not being used. (A. Navigation by stars. B. No help to identify stars. C. Limited accuracy and reliability of the measuring device.)
Magnetic compass device which can be displayed or "put away" like the stopwatch, and suffers from the same variation and deviation errors as real magnetic compasses.
Gyroscopic precession effects for the submarine and all running torpedoes. (A. Must reset the gyro compass frequently by reference to the magnetic compass, possibly by right-clicking on the compass dial. B. Torpedoes begin to drift on long runs, especially after making turns to a large gyro angle.)
Increased visibility in the direction of the moon (depending on phase), decreased visibility in the direction of the sun.
Binocular view remains level with the horizon and does not pitch and roll with the submarine. (A. You get your "sea legs." B. I am SICK of scrolling up and down just to look at one spot!!!)

I chose to reach out to you because I really respect you and the work you have done in this community. I want to learn from you. I want to help you realize your vision in FOTRS in any way that I can, and later, apply the experience to creating some mods of my own. If you can think of anything I can do to help with FOTRS, I will be happy to. If not, then thanks for reading this, and thanks also for everything you have done to make this community what it is.
hyperbolicsphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 02:00 AM   #3613
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

hyperbolicsphere!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 02:29 AM   #3614
gutted
The Old Man

Quote:
Binocular view remains level with the horizon and does not pitch and roll with the submarine.
Heh. That's the main reason i always uncheck no stabilized view. It's absolute madness trying to use the binoculars. Is my avatar made of wood? LOL.

Old 01-26-17, 05:23 AM   #3615
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > hyperbolicsphere
Support The New SH4 Mega Mod Project FOTRSU > 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.52_PublicBeta_E N
Steam Conversion SH4 Installation Instructions By ValoWay
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote