SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-13-20, 11:44 AM   #991
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Uploads: 0
Default I just dropped in

and it looks like just in time for the next release.
I've been busy with other simulator hobbies such as Prepar3d v5 and I've been playing quite a bit of Galactic Civilizations III v4.0. Thought I'd check in with my FOTRSU companions and just in time for the next release. I started an early war campaign last night.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 01:05 PM   #992
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

A technical question about traffic and being able to spot enemies:
I have read the 'game stability' and 'known issues' PDFs, and I'm quite familiar with the right 'save game' procedure and what to avoid etc.
However, I suspect that if I save the game, then all my invisible targets that I could find will also disappear until new targets will spawn, is this correct?
What I mean is in particular:
Let's say you have spent 2 hours without finding a target, and suddenly you get a radio report of a convoy 400 nm away, and you are able to intercept it. Now If I save the game and quit, would this convoy still be in the game after reloading the save, or has it disappeared and I will not find it if trying to intercept it?
Same question for 'invisible' targets that are nearby but which I don't see visually, or by sonar or radar yet; will they disappear if I save and quit the game?
Problem is that I can hardly spend more than 3 hours in a row playing without saving and interrupt the game, so what would be the solution to keep the tactical game situation when saving?

Compared to TMO+OTF or RFB, how much more traffic is in the FOTRSU 3d-world? I know there are so many more ship units and much better visual grafics, but is the campaign traffic also increased?

Thanks!
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-13-20 at 01:20 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 06:10 PM   #993
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
I have read the 'game stability' and 'known issues' PDFs, and I'm quite familiar with the right 'save game' procedure and what to avoid etc.
However, I suspect that if I save the game, then all my invisible targets that I could find will also disappear until new targets will spawn, is this correct?
What I mean is in particular:
Let's say you have spent 2 hours without finding a target, and suddenly you get a radio report of a convoy 400 nm away, and you are able to intercept it. Now If I save the game and quit, would this convoy still be in the game after reloading the save, or has it disappeared and I will not find it if trying to intercept it?
Same question for 'invisible' targets that are nearby but which I don't see visually, or by sonar or radar yet; will they disappear if I save and quit the game?
Problem is that I can hardly spend more than 3 hours in a row playing without saving and interrupt the game, so what would be the solution to keep the tactical game situation when saving?

Compared to TMO+OTF or RFB, how much more traffic is in the FOTRSU 3d-world? I know there are so many more ship units and much better visual grafics, but is the campaign traffic also increased?

Thanks!
XS
that is an excellent question that i have pondered myself...and it transcends any mod as it would be applied at the SH4 level and not the mod.

i believe based on experience that if you receive a message regarding a TF or convoy or ship, then it has spawned and saving will not affect its presence when you reload.
i believe based on experience that if you see an icon, as we do from time to time, then the unit has spawned and saving will not affect it.
so, KM's Theorem #3 is that if you haven't been told about it or you haven't see evidence of it, then it hasn't spawned yet.
does this help?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 06:43 PM   #994
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Thanks KM, I really hope this is so otherwise I need to totally change my savegame strategy, to avoid possible corruptions, saving the game at the right time is delicate already, but this 'problem' of targets also came to my mind.

Greetings,
XS
Old 05-13-20, 10:30 PM   #995
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Default Is this still available?

Nevermind.... figured out that my link was bad
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig

Last edited by Havan_IronOak; 05-14-20 at 12:02 AM.
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 05:34 AM   #996
FotRSU Mod Team
Team Leader

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 3

Announcing 14th May, 2020
Please note that we expect typos here and mistakes in the mod. Just let us know!

Version 1.1 of Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition mod
This is not the download link - this is a title - do not click on this more than three times or we will begin to worry about you
Note: This mod is for "Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific" v1.5 only - with Uboat Missions Add-on

See the first page: Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate - Full Release

Let us know (nicely please) what you think! You can PM propbeanie or s7rikeback about any issues, but a post in this thread is best. Thank you for your patience. Sorry for the inconvenience Havan_IronOak and the others who attempted to download the mod while it was uploading.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Known Issues and Resolutions
  1. (+) Location: All Date(s): All Assignment(s): All Circumstances: Crew officer limits and rank insignia need work Fix?: Yes Resolved?: Yes v1.1
  2. (+) Location: Manila / Soerabaja area assignments Date(s): End of December, toward end of February Assignment(s): Insertion south of Manila Circumstances: Player is assigned mission too soon Fix?: Yes Resolved?: Yes v1.1
  3. (+ / -) Location: All Date(s): All Assignment(s): All Circumstances: TMO style plotting option desired Fix?: No, In process Resolved?: No
  4. (+) Location: All Date(s): All Assignment(s): All - torpedo dud rates and optional mod Circumstances: Dud rate options desired Fix?: Yes Resolved?: Yes, several options v1.1
  5. (+) Location: All Date(s): All Assignment(s): All Circumstances: Inappropriate, "non-historical" ships that might cause issues, such as DD Menaki Fix?: Yes Resolved?: Yes, removed v1.1
  6. (+) Location: from Pearl Harbor to Japan home waters Date(s): Late December '41 to March '42 Assignment(s): Player is assigned home waters off Japan, East and south of Kyushu / Honshu Circumstances: Loss of guages (1 report) unable to reload Save (2 reports) in Porpoise and Tambor boats - finally able to replicate, issues with all boats in the area Fix?: Resolved?: Yes, game was running out of memory bandwidth due to config issues with Type=106 assets v1.1
  7. (+) Location: All Date(s): Various Assignment(s): Various Circumstances: No "creaks" sound on S-Boat (2 reports) - finally able to replicate, still searching Fix?: Yes Resolved?: Yes v1.1
  8. (+ / -) Location: End of Soerabaja Date(s): (1 report) Late February into April 1942 Assignment(s): After patrol, home port moved to Fremantle Circumstances: Attempting to end patrol April 13, 1942, CTD - unable to replicate Fix?: Unknown Resolved?: Unknown, but issues from above may have contributed
  9. (+ / -) Location: Various Date(s): Various Assignment(s): Various Circumstances: (2 reports) "Range at current speed" not giving correct reading, player able to triple attained mileage - able to replicate in similar manner Fix?: Sort of Resolved?: No. Stock game issue. If we adjust for "accurate" range, we lose all sorts of other setting "accuracies".
  10. (+/-) Location: Game-wide Date(s): various Assignment(s): All Circumstances: When taking damage internally, steam pipe breaks and Steam Burst.wav file plays. After damages are repaired, audio file continues to play (unable to replicate) Fix?: Maybe - edits completed - tests completed but inconclusive. Audio exceeded 0 db scale, reduced both the pipe burst and the steam sound. Resolved?: Unknown.
  11. (+ / -) Location: Game-wide Date(s): full game Assignment(s): All boats Circumstances: Radar dishes are not consistent with rotation Fix?: None yet - new version might help some. Resolved?: Not really.
  12. (+) Location: CenPac Date(s): December, 1941 Assignment(s): Several early assignments Circumstances: Player encouraged to do Photo Recon, but targets are not found without great risk to the boat Fix?: Eh... Somewhat Resolved?: Asset has been re-sized, but you do still need to get in close, just not as close as before

===============================================

Last edited by FotRSU Mod Team; 05-14-20 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Issues Tracker
FotRSU Mod Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 06:17 AM   #997
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

^^ Downloading now!!! ^^

Quote:
Think of the game as a giant database with your submarine in the center of the game world. Everything within a given distance is rendered in that 3D world such that you can "see" them. Everything else is being tracked in the database as it "moves". All of that pertinent information is stored in the Save file. What happened "behind" you is also stored similarly. Like other databases, GIGO rules!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 07:00 AM   #998
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

Think of the game as a giant database with your submarine in the center of the game world. Everything within a given distance is rendered in that 3D world such that you can "see" them. Everything else is being tracked in the database as it "moves". All of that pertinent information is stored in the Save file. What happened "behind" you is also stored similarly. Like other databases, GIGO rules!

Thank you propbearnie, that's good news. I have this question about my last mission:

I was sent to Marshall Islands to investigate the surroundings, while asked to keep submerged by day and using only 1 engine at night; well, I bypassed this because otherwise I would get nowhere in a reasonable time
Also there were 2 green circles for my operation area, 1 of them had the mission marker, but when leaving the first circle to join the 2nd, this will considerably increase my patrol time until my orders are updated, I have spent more than 30 days until I received new instructions from HQ. I usually leave the green circle trying to intercept targets where I think to find them on logical travel nodes etc.

But instead should I stay within the green circle to complete my mission sooner?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-20, 08:06 AM   #999
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Congrats on the new release! I hope it fixes a bug I just stumbled across in the previous FotRS:UE release; in short, the ST periscope radar simply does not work.
Old 05-14-20, 08:44 AM   #1000
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Downloads: 64

Wow an update..thank you to the team
Deepseadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 09:02 AM   #1001
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Thank you propbearnie, that's good news. I have this question about my last mission:

I was sent to Marshall Islands to investigate the surroundings, while asked to keep submerged by day and using only 1 engine at night; well, I bypassed this because otherwise I would get nowhere in a reasonable time
Also there were 2 green circles for my operation area, 1 of them had the mission marker, but when leaving the first circle to join the 2nd, this will considerably increase my patrol time until my orders are updated, I have spent more than 30 days until I received new instructions from HQ. I usually leave the green circle trying to intercept targets where I think to find them on logical travel nodes etc.

But instead should I stay within the green circle to complete my mission sooner?

Thanks!
The game is rather dim-witted since it can't think for itself, so all we can do is attempt to anticipate the way people will play the game. In that light, it is assumed that the player will head directly to the Marshalls when given the order. Say you are told to patrol for six days. It is assumed it takes a certain time frame to travel to your assigned patrol area at Ahead Standard. When you receive the orders in the office, the patrol circle is already drawn for the first Primary Objective. Let's say total travel time and patrol time for that first objective is 12 days. If there is a second Objective that will be assigned, that 2nd patrol circle is usually drawn at about the 10th day, for the just-in-case you did Ahead Flank to get to your patrol area. If you instead went to the Marshalls via Empire Waters, then that 2nd circle will be drawn entirely too early. However, the first mission Objective time setting is still set for the passage of the days that are set, but that "clock" doesn't start until you arrive in the patrol circle of the first assignment. Assume that you left PH on the 10th, and the 20th is when the 2nd circle is drawn. You've been told to patrol for six days, but you don't arrive until January 12, 1942, it will be January the 18th before the first Objective is completed and you will then receive the orders for the 2nd Objective circle you saw drawn on the screen. This is part of the problem of trying to help and draw the circles for the player... As for the traffic, realize that the Japanese did not "advance" to some of the other islands in the Marshall and Gilbert Islands until 1942. Some of the "patrols" you see have been alerted to a possible submarine in the area, and are vainly attempting to find your boat. Some are on patrol around a given atoll, not just a single island. The game's 3D world does not accurately "draw" some of the spits of sand that were / are habitable, so you might only see a "shallow" bit of water, and not actual dry land that they are patrolling around. Most of the patrols to the area (three in real life) during the early stages of the war were done so under the assumption that the Japanese may have use the Marshalls as their base of operations for the Pearl Harbor strike, which was of course, erroneous, other than some of their submarines came from there... But, if you hit the right place at the right time, you will be in for a bit of a battle to escape with your crew, you boat, and your life... mum's the word though - you have to "find" them!... lol - Just a hint maybe... Truk was the center of their operations for that area... draw some lines from it, to a rather other important island in the Marshalls, and then branch out from there logically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Congrats on the new release! I hope it fixes a bug I just stumbled across in the previous FotRS:UE release; in short, the ST periscope radar simply does not work.
We have not messed with the ST radar since it was "fixed" a while back, and have not found what might be causing any issues. My suspicion is that there is a date set incorrectly somewhere, or perhaps something is mis-spelled. We found that a "space" character in a Loadout description will trash a whole set-up for an airplane's configuration, so I'm certain the equipment on the submarine does the same. I might well be incorrect in my assumptions, and it definitely would not be the first nor last time that has happened. We are still tracing IDs and Names through the files, trying to establish what is a correctly set-up submarine for the ST radar. It is much more than just the ST radar, and involves the SV Elite as well as SJ radars, and a "package" of other equipment, as well as all of the above gear, ~and~ having the proper conning tower for everything to attach to. If you start the game in January 1945, the boats seem to be set correctly, but when it comes to "upgrades", something seems to be left out of the equation for the equipment assignments. Still looking.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-14-20 at 09:11 AM. Reason: hint hint
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 10:17 AM   #1002
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Thanks for the insight; I was wondering if I missed something.

Sucks I can't go back to the previous, working version of the surface search radar. Oh well, war's almost done - there aren't so many ships to be found anyway.
Old 05-14-20, 10:31 AM   #1003
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Thanks for the update! I haven't updated yet but didn't see this on the list of fixes/known issues for it, so...

Sibyl ships: multiple ships occupying the same space simultaneously. In this case, there are three ships tied up at one berth: a medium split freighter, an Ada Maru, and an unknown type whose symbol displays but whose name does not.

USS Tilefish, 3/22/44, Taipei harbor, patrolling north of Formosa for 10 days.

Is there a central repository for open issues? I've looked at the readmes and the known issues in the second post of this thread, but a Q&D search didn't turn up anything else.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 10:46 AM   #1004
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Thank you Propebearnie for your explanations, and: my congrats for your new update! I will however stick with my current career for awhile with 1.004, and then changing.

Cheers,
XS
Old 05-14-20, 11:46 AM   #1005
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

Congratulations on the FOTRS-U 1.1 release and thank you for the update. So far so good, everything went where it was supposed to and it seems to be working as intended.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote