SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-04-09, 02:43 PM   #286
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Quote:
I gather it is right to overwrite the old documentation folder with the new....
You are correct.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 10:45 AM   #287
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Default Starshells now available for NYGM merchant ships

I have adapted Racerboy's Starshell mod for NYGM. (Nearly) all the larger merchants in the NYGM mod will now fire star shells if they detect your U-boat, usually with conditions where they would also fire a gun at you.

This additional extra mod is available by clicking on my signature, below. Install it last, with JSGME, after all other mods have been installed. The mod also includes a gif picture of a night-attack by a surfaced U-boat on a convoy - quite a cluster of flares can be seen lighting up the whole area.

Stiebler.
Old 11-15-09, 07:33 PM   #288
coronas
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0

Thanks for updating, Stiebler
Old 11-16-09, 08:44 AM   #289
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Got it, looking forward to see it in action
Old 11-18-09, 10:54 PM   #290
Pohl
Sparky

Downloads: 31

Mod is awesome but I have 2 little issues

1.- When I choose the Type IXD2 on Jan 43 12 flotilla (with SH3 commander), SH3 crashes with 10% loading bar but when I choose the IXC/40 and I check the sub while on patrol it says im using the IXD2 is this normal?

2.- Is there anyway I can get rid of the exhaust smoke in my u-boot since my integrated card has a eternal struggle against heavy smoke stuff?

U-3502 Type XXI, 7th/13th Flotilla
April 14, 1942
100% realism, GWX 3.0, SH3 Commander 3.2
Pohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 03:49 AM   #291
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohl View Post
1.- When I choose the Type IXD2 on Jan 43 12 flotilla (with SH3 commander), SH3 crashes with 10% loading bar but when I choose the IXC/40 and I check the sub while on patrol it says im using the IXD2 is this normal?
2.- Is there anyway I can get rid of the exhaust smoke in my u-boot since my integrated card has a eternal struggle against heavy smoke stuff?
1. You have described a conflict of mods. Roll-back SH3Commander, and try again, starting in your home base. Make sure that you have only NYGM mods installed at this point. You can install any further mods later. [Edit - the problem does not lie with SH3Commander itself, but you must roll it back to make any changes. Check NYGM works properly without SH3Commander, before returning to SH3Commander.]
2. Mikhayl created a service pack for NYGM some time ago, which removes exhaust smoke. I can no longer remember the link, but you can contact Mikhayl by PM (check the spelling).
Alternatively, remove the NYGM mods with JSGME, go to your mod folder NYGM3_2, find the folders NYGM3_2\data\submarine\NSS....,
and for each NSS folder remove the .val file. Then reinstall all the NYGM mods, making sure to keep to the correct order.

I see that you are a user of GWX3. If you are switching between NYGM and GWX, then be sure to make a backup of your folder 'my documents\sh3' each time you switch, and delete the original folder after you have made the backup.

Stiebler.
Old 11-19-09, 02:16 PM   #292
Pohl
Sparky

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
1. You have described a conflict of mods. Roll-back SH3Commander, and try again, starting in your home base. Make sure that you have only NYGM mods installed at this point. You can install any further mods later. [Edit - the problem does not lie with SH3Commander itself, but you must roll it back to make any changes. Check NYGM works properly without SH3Commander, before returning to SH3Commander.]
2. Mikhayl created a service pack for NYGM some time ago, which removes exhaust smoke. I can no longer remember the link, but you can contact Mikhayl by PM (check the spelling).
Alternatively, remove the NYGM mods with JSGME, go to your mod folder NYGM3_2, find the folders NYGM3_2\data\submarine\NSS....,
and for each NSS folder remove the .val file. Then reinstall all the NYGM mods, making sure to keep to the correct order.

I see that you are a user of GWX3. If you are switching between NYGM and GWX, then be sure to make a backup of your folder 'my documents\sh3' each time you switch, and delete the original folder after you have made the backup.

Stiebler.
Thanks for the answers

My problem with the IXD2 was on a fresh install of SH3 / NYGM, since GWX took around 8 GB of my HD and I've been running out of space lately plus I wanted to try NYGM.

About the smoke I'll search for it and If I fail I'll ask Mikhayl

Also I tried to enable NYGM via JSGME but after 40 minutes the mod never applied, thus I had to copy & paste all the stuff manually, perhaps this messed something up (I did follow instructions).

U-3502 Type XXI, 7th/13th Flotilla
April 14, 1942
100% realism, GWX 3.0, SH3 Commander 3.2
Pohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 03:36 PM   #293
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Also I tried to enable NYGM via JSGME but after 40 minutes the mod never applied, thus I had to copy & paste all the stuff manually, perhaps this messed something up (I did follow instructions).
I would strongly advice against installing via JSGME the main bulk of NYGM. The PC, unless it is very powerful, tends to lock in the process of copying/backing up so many files, and in any case it is unnecessary. Make a dedicated install of NYGM and use MultiSH3 to get an individualized folder in My Documents, and then install the main NYGM there directly, overwriting everything. Then use JGSME exclusively to install the latest patch that appear. Once you are sure they wroked well, you can even make it permanent by overwriting directly.
Old 11-21-09, 02:59 AM   #294
JC1959
Watch

Downloads: 1
Default torpedo loadout

Hello,
Currently playing NYGM 3.0, and I was wondering if it was possible to alter the torpedo loadout that you get when you resupply from a U Boat at sea? At the moment you get a mix of torpedoes after the RV, but I would like my loadout to be all of one type of torpedo, namely the T I (G7a).
If it is possible to change it by altering a file or two, can someone tell how please? I also assume that I`d have to make the alteration between missions to avoid any problems,yes?
Thanks in advance.
JC1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 07:43 AM   #295
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@JC1959:

Sorry, but there is no known way of changing the torpedo load-out after docking at a U-tanker (milk cow) - nor many other parameters, such as the patrol area (set to NULL). The only way you might be able to change matters is by changing the default torpedo load-out for all bases in all war years. That would give you any load-out you wanted. But it would be highly inconvenient when you are not at a U-tanker.

I have spent a very long time investigating this problem, and I believe that JScones (SH3Commander) has spent a long time also.

The problem is that, however the files are altered, the original values get written back in again as soon as you reload your career after docking at the U-tanker.

What is really needed is the ability to remember the U-boat's load-out just as it docks at the U-tanker, then provide the same load-out when it leaves the U-tanker. There is no method at all for doing this.

Stiebler.
Old 11-26-09, 05:45 AM   #296
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Default Torpedo running depths

A user of NYGM has asked this query:

Quote:
I recently read in the NYGM 2.2 manual that by using SHCommander one can randomize the running depth of the torpedos. Since I like the idea a lot, I have checked the present SHCommander config. files for NYGM, but I could not find any file that does the randomization I guess the feature has been removed. Could you please give me a hint which file in SH3 controls the running depth of the torpedos or how you did it in NYGM 2.2? Did you use the dials.cfg for it (introduce a shift between real and shown value)?
Since the question is of general interest, I answer it here:

1. I can not remember any method of setting torpedo depths with SH3Commander, and I believe that it is not possible with the present NYGM files for SH3Commander.
2. The randomisation of torpedo depths referred to the fact that the default depth for torpedoes in NYGM is only 3 meters. This means that the depth is affected by waves. The stronger the wind, the rougher the waves, and the more variation in the depth as the torpedo runs towards the target. It may also explode prematurely or run on the surface under these conditions. This action mimicks the behaviour of real, defective, early-war German torpedoes.
3. You can easily set the depth of the torpedoes differently in each patrol, just by clicking on the torpedo depth guage.
4. If you wish to alter permanently the default depth of the torpedoes, make these changes:

To set torpedo depth to eg 4 metres (currently 3 metres), go to data\menu\cfg\dials.cfg and change the lines from:
DialVal = 65, 330 to DialVal = 12 x n + 30, 330 (where n = 4,5 etc)
RealVal = 0, 25 to RealVal = n, 25.

Stiebler.
Old 11-26-09, 01:06 PM   #297
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi Stiebler,

thank you very much for your reply. I was referring to the following text in the manual NYGM_Tonnage_War_Manual 2.2a.pdf (end of page 19):

Torpedo Realism changes

The NYGM Torpedo Realism v1 Mod comprises of a three areas. One change is real world change and two are abstract for a realistic real world result.

The real world change is the replication of the Germans Depth Keeping issue that occurred from 1939 to late 1942. This feature (only available with the use of SH3 Cmdr) is where 30% of the time the torpedo will be at the correct depth as set with the TDC and for the other 70% of the time that the torpedo depth will have an error from as little as 0.5 metres up to 3 metres. The abstract changes are for a desired result and break from historical/real world to achieve a real world result.

So, I thought NYGM had some SH3 Cmdr files that via randomisation change the running depth of the torpedo.

Anyway, I think it is a great idea to have some random running depth. A possible idea to achieve this might be to introduce a random shift between the real value and the dial's value in the dials.cfg via SH3 Cmdr. Thus, if one sets the tropedo to 3m it is actually running at 3.5m or 4.0m or maybe even 3.2m. What do you think? Is it possible to 'break' the formula given above and have some shift between the dial value and the real value? If I know it correctly, the torpedo ran up to 2.7m too deep, especially after extended time below the surface.

Edit: Works fine! See post below!

Best, LGN1

BTW: Are the chances for a premature detonation (depending on the sea state) hardcoded or can they be changed?

Last edited by LGN1; 11-27-09 at 04:24 AM.
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 04:23 AM   #298
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi,

I have implemented the idea in SH Commander, see here

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158642

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 08:07 AM   #299
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Default Randomized torpedo failures.

Well done, and good work, LGN1, concerning randomized torpedo failures.

I've just read the thread you listed (sorry, been away a few days).

I shall try your idea too.

Stiebler.
Old 12-08-09, 09:34 AM   #300
mido
Engineer

Downloads: 191
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
Sorry for the confusion, ConteBlecio and Hitman.

In general, extra mods found in the documentation folder of NYGM should be installed *after* the most recent edition of NYGM (currently 3.3B) has been loaded.

This ensures that any existing extra mods in the documentation folder are always brought up to date with the latest releases of NYGM.

Stiebler.
So when do I install the optional mods found in the documentation folder of version 2.5, before or after the installation of update 3.3B? And if a newer version comes up do I have to uninstall all optional mods and then reinstall them after updating NYGM?

Thanks for your help!
mido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
torpedos through hull