SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-12, 05:20 PM   #1411
Tonci87
Captain

Downloads: 116
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Thats the tradeoff for using decks awash so you wont use it all the time . Crew wont spot anything either . You can still use the uzo .
The crew won´t spot anything? Well that´s bad...
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 09:47 AM   #1412
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Salute Comarades!
Speed of the sub is greatly reduced with deck awash. Is this normal behavior? I guess it should be because of all of the resistance of coning tower, deck gun and so on...
Sry if this was asked before, the thread is too long ,really...

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-24-12 at 10:18 AM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 10:23 AM   #1413
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Salute Comarades!
Speed of the sub is greatly reduced with deck awash. Is this normal behavior? I guess it should be because of all of the resistance of coning tower, deck gun and so on...
Sry if this was asked before, the thread is too long ,really...
Yes it is normal. Think about from physics point of view - larger mass (part) of the boat is moving under water, as a result: more resistance by the water applied to the sub.

The boat is not gliding OVER the water, but moving THROUGH it. So yeah, it is normal.

And I believe crew still will spot ships. At least it works for me.
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 10:24 AM   #1414
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Well, for a start, as stated by sober one could use the UZO instead of binoculars. On the other hand, increased fuel consumption, increased propeller's noise, decreased speed and inability to use the deckgun are some of the side-effects that I would expect from using decksawsh, but however much I strive to put it and binocs together, I can't see how the two would be adversely related in RL.
Quote:
Thats the tradeoff for using decks awash so you wont use it all the time . Crew wont spot anything either . You can still use the uzo .
Hi Sober / Gap
Yeah I went with the uzo that's works fine.
Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining at all, I just mentioned it in passing. I figured it might be something fixable but it isn't anything like a show-stopper.
Actually, (I don't know if this pertains to the U-Boats or not) I read that Decks Awash was a risky move as it is a depth that the submarine becomes unstable.
While submerging or surfacing, at the "decks awash" depth, the boat's gravity is virtually even and subs could capsize if they were not careful. Making turns or maneuvers compounded the risk. Crew's used to sweat a little bit more as they passed it.
I can see some of the benefits of using it, and the game certainly is much more forgiving in it's physics. I'm glad we have it, each additional tool available and the game becomes more immersive.
Thanks for the reply Kaleuns
Old 09-24-12, 04:13 PM   #1415
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

When i was mucking around with the submarine sim file i noticed a parameter where i could flip the sub if turning hard while waves were side on to the sub .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 06:56 PM   #1416
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
When i was mucking around with the submarine sim file i noticed a parameter where i could flip the sub if turning hard while waves were side on to the sub .

That sounds a bit too realistic !!! With everything else to worry about during battle (or just high tailing it out of the area), then we could accidently capsize our command... "Bitte herr commendant, ran into a little problem with a left turn..."
"Who wants to speak to me???"... "Oohhhhh, Uncle Karl...."
Keep it a secret 'cause someone'll stick into a mod and we'll have 200 players in a capsizing forum free for all......Ok, I'm cracking myself up here.
D40
Old 09-24-12, 07:43 PM   #1417
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Downloads: 366

Quote:
sounds highly unrealistic if enabled, cause of the sub`s battery weights, low cog and so on...

Stormfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 12:09 AM   #1418
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Any help on this possible patch problem?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=9345
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 04:58 AM   #1419
padrepio
Watch

Downloads: 36

Will this unofficial patch work if I purchased the game from Gamersgate and not from Steam?
padrepio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 05:30 AM   #1420
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by padrepio View Post
Will this unofficial patch work if I purchased the game from Gamersgate and not from Steam?
It should work.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 05:33 AM   #1421
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106

Haven't seen TDW around these parts for a while now, is he working on a new patch or something? Haven't really been able to keep up with his progress lately...
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 05:42 AM   #1422
padrepio
Watch

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
It should work.
Thanks. They're having a Silent Hunter Week over there by the way. All Silent Hunter games are currently on sale (70% discount). BUY ME.
padrepio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 09:05 AM   #1423
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Default Patchs working Excellant

I've been using the latest 1.0.74 patch with the 7.2 UI. I've got to say it's been doing most everything it's designed to do. The wolfpacks for one, are working great, I get instructions from BDU and after a wait the U-Boats start coming around. Bear in mind that they follow your track, so if the convoy get's away, the U-Boats will still come to your position. I'm still finding out the nature of how they help the attack, but they do come.
All the other patches are working very well, Decks awash I had to adjust with the UI to 8m because my boat had a habit of being one meter too shallow, so it would only hit 6meters when D/A was ordered.
And of course the IND. Engine control works fine. I am interested though, what was going to be implemented with the final version. The props do everything they are supposed to but there is no other indication, on gauges or any visual controls that the props are on different speeds. So, other than a change in speed, I have to visually look at the props to see them working.
Anyway, as the UI and patches stand, they work very good for me. I am hoping that TDW will return soon so we can see these finalised.
D40
Old 10-05-12, 10:30 AM   #1424
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Been racking up lots of airline miles flying from country to country My workload is huge right now and I just don't have any time for myself or anything else currently
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-12, 12:10 PM   #1425
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Been racking up lots of airline miles flying from country to country My workload is huge right now and I just don't have any time for myself or anything else currently
Well, It's good to hear from you all the same. Just wanted you to know that your presence is missed and your work here has been performing well. As I had stated below, the patches seem to be operating very well for the current state, we'll see you when things ease up a bit.
D40