Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-15-14, 02:26 PM   #1
Wijbrandus
Loader

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0
Returning Captain for SH V

Hey all. I'm returning to the seas and looking for help.

I took a year or two off. I had a house fire that destroyed (among many things) my entire PC gaming room. So rather than try and track down and purchase new installer disks on Amazon and all that, over the weekend I bought the Silent Hunter mega-pack on Steam to replace my collection and start getting back into the war. Of course, since I never did buy SH5, that's where I had to start.

Of course, now that I've done that, I'm beginning to realize that not all is as it was, and I'm wondering where I should start in modding the game.

Does anyone have a starting mod to recommend? I'm not looking for anything that makes the game harder, but I'm really feeling a little lost. I wasted a crapload of torpedos just learning what the numbered circles meant, and I miss the old auto-TDC. Maybe a UI renovation too.

Also, is there really a reason why mods won't work on Steam? I'm seeing that on some forums, but I install mods on my other games no problem at all.

Anyway. I'm glad to be back. Looking forward to seeing the replies.
Wijbrandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 02:30 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Wijbrandus! After 5 years! Welcome to chaos; just got done restoring my own mancave after the Napa Earthquake! Lots of tech support here!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 03:11 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A warm welcome back ‘Wijbrandus’

You will always find someone here to help you.

Link to my SH5 – SH4 posts:

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It

Also Included Are Some Useful Download Links

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804

You can use TDW’Generic File Patcher with STEAM see my Tutorial Post #125
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 04:50 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome back

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 07:56 AM   #5
Wijbrandus
Loader

Has anyone seen a mod that gives back the traditional auto-tdc?

I'm having a very hard time with the 1-2-3 bubbles. I don't often get them to line up properly, and end up taking wag shots that usually end up missing. I don't recall any sub commanders talking about how they had to be at a precise range to take a shot, and I haven't figured out how to use the bubbles to make longer range shots than the bubbles provide.
Old 09-16-14, 11:24 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Wag shots

extrapolation: "is the process of estimating, beyond the original observation range, the value of a variable on the basis of its relationship with another variable. It is similar to interpolation, which produces estimates between known observations, but extrapolation is subject to greater uncertainty and a higher risk of producing meaningless results. Extrapolation may also mean extension of a method, assuming similar methods will be applicable." If say, your '3' bubble is at 3000 meters on the the line you have drawn (always) on your TAC screen parallel for the course of your target's line,(2 lines) but the target is, say, 1000 meters away from that course line ie 1/4 more distance than the bubble method covers-envision a 'fourth bubble', mark with an 'X', and maneuver the eel fire line accordingly (extrapolate) a quarter or so past the third bubble and fire a salvo. I nailed a battle cruiser off Spain at over 6,000 meters with this-only two of the eels hit but enough to close and finish the cripple. Always bear in mind the speed of the target vs speed of the eels. In short -tiny bubbles meet mathematic extrapolative intuition- A little skeet shooting time with clay targets doesn't hurt either for practice and in a while your confidence in your own judgement will be solid...and your 'itchy neck' suitably adorned! Remember to have a a soft cloth to wipe the condensation moisture from your periscope lens.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 11:29 AM   #7
Wijbrandus
Loader

I love that response.

I will begin to develop my torpedo sense accordingly.

Thanks!