SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-21, 12:21 PM   #1
bsmooth
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Coming back, with a question.

Always really liked this sim, when I had the CD, but I didn't think it would work any longer.
Then along came Steam and now I'm using it again. I did have to use it with Win10 using Win7 compatibility , but it works.
Just finished a 1 year patrol and did great from Manilla in the Cerebes Sea area. Heres what I don't understand, even though I patrolled all over the area, it wouldn't give me credit for ever getting there. It had a yellow Star with a pair of binoculars in the area, but when I even ran right over it nothing happened, so I never received credit for arriving in the area.
What do you have to do in this situation ?.
Had a great patrol BTW, even managed to bag a light cruiser, but learned NOT to be on the surface at all during the day.
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-21, 01:44 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It depends upon your mission orders. Look in the Radio Log, and see if you can find any time designation. Usually you won't be able to. Next patrol, pay attention to how long they tell you to patrol, and how large of an area. If you really feel the need to complete the mission, draw yourself a 50nm radius circle centered on that star with the binoclulars, and then stay within that circle. It might be 48 hours, it might be more, but with the stock game, it is usually 48 hours (continuous time, btw). Truth be told though, you don't have to complete any mission you are given. You will lose the points of completing the mission, which might be as high as 300 renown points, but in Stock is usually only 100-150 points. There are no penalties in the game, unless you sink a neutral or friendly ship. Since you have sunk quite a few ships, you are good to go back to home port and be welcomed as a war hero...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-21, 04:52 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmooth View Post
Always really liked this sim, when I had the CD, but I didn't think it would work any longer.
Then along came Steam and now I'm using it again. I did have to use it with Win10 using Win7 compatibility , but it works.
Just finished a 1 year patrol and did great from Manilla in the Cerebes Sea area. Heres what I don't understand, even though I patrolled all over the area, it wouldn't give me credit for ever getting there. It had a yellow Star with a pair of binoculars in the area, but when I even ran right over it nothing happened, so I never received credit for arriving in the area.
Had a great patrol BTW, even managed to bag a light cruiser, but learned NOT to be on the surface at all during the day.
bsmooth, welcome to Subsim.

i endorse what Propbeanie said, in spades.

when you receive your mission orders, prior to the start of your mission, you need to remember/record/write down the details of your mission and its objective because Ubi did not do a great job in that area. You orders will tell you the area you are to patrol, how large a radius to patrol in, and how long you need to patrol within that area in order to gain the renown points for completing that mission. The orders do not tell you how much tonnage you need to sink or hardcore start and end dates, as well as other info.

so, working with what the orders give you, take a the protractor and draw a circle of N nm (nautical miles), sail for that area and patrol within it for the length of time indicated in the orders. when you do that, the gold Star will turn gray and your Objective will be noted as completed.

some of the missions will allow you to leave the patrol area and return without losing your accumulated time while other missions will not be as lenient. and no, there is no way to know unless you dig into the mission definitions. that will come later in your development. maybe. possibly.

you will grow as a Kaleun and learn other mission-management skills so work on these before pressing on.

good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-21, 05:00 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

bsmooth!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-21, 08:35 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmooth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It depends upon your mission orders. Look in the Radio Log, and see if you can find any time designation. Usually you won't be able to. Next patrol, pay attention to how long they tell you to patrol, and how large of an area. If you really feel the need to complete the mission, draw yourself a 50nm radius circle centered on that star with the binoclulars, and then stay within that circle. It might be 48 hours, it might be more, but with the stock game, it is usually 48 hours (continuous time, btw). Truth be told though, you don't have to complete any mission you are given. You will lose the points of completing the mission, which might be as high as 300 renown points, but in Stock is usually only 100-150 points. There are no penalties in the game, unless you sink a neutral or friendly ship. Since you have sunk quite a few ships, you are good to go back to home port and be welcomed as a war hero...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
bsmooth, welcome to Subsim.

i endorse what Propbeanie said, in spades.

when you receive your mission orders, prior to the start of your mission, you need to remember/record/write down the details of your mission and its objective because Ubi did not do a great job in that area. You orders will tell you the area you are to patrol, how large a radius to patrol in, and how long you need to patrol within that area in order to gain the renown points for completing that mission. The orders do not tell you how much tonnage you need to sink or hardcore start and end dates, as well as other info.

so, working with what the orders give you, take a the protractor and draw a circle of N nm (nautical miles), sail for that area and patrol within it for the length of time indicated in the orders. when you do that, the gold Star will turn gray and your Objective will be noted as completed.

some of the missions will allow you to leave the patrol area and return without losing your accumulated time while other missions will not be as lenient. and no, there is no way to know unless you dig into the mission definitions. that will come later in your development. maybe. possibly.

you will grow as a Kaleun and learn other mission-management skills so work on these before pressing on.

good luck!

propbeanie, KaleunMarco +1

I heartily endorse what both propbeanie & KaleunMarco have stated here...

Just to add to it a bit...

The diameter circle that propbeanie mentioned of using, a 50 nm's (nautical miles) circle... holds true for doing agent/troop drop off missions as well. Though if I recall correctly, you can extend that out to 150 nm's, I believe... for those missions & should also apply when it comes to pickups of those same assets, to boot.. without any problems in completing those assignments.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.

oh yeah, & welcome aboard , bsmooth...
Old 02-17-21, 12:21 PM   #6
bsmooth
Watch

Downloads: 3

That explains I think what was happening.
Started a new career, and making my way back to Midway after sinking a few merchants. Thanks for the help, but I'm starting another thread for a different reason, stay tuned ....
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote