SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-20, 08:10 AM   #1
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Downloads: 936
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Steam mod capability

I have the uplay version of SH4 Gold installed on my pc along with the Dark Waters mod all working perfectly so i don't want to mess about it.

If i purchase the steam version of SH4 and install it in the regular steam folder would I be able to install the FotRSU addon directly into SH4 without any confliction with my Uplay version.

I only have one hard drive and i'm not very confident on installing multi versions of the Uplay version on my pc?
sonicninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 08:12 AM   #2
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

no worries. I have the STEAM version and there is no issue at all with modding.
Old 05-03-20, 08:23 AM   #3
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Downloads: 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
no worries. I have the STEAM version and there is no issue at all with modding.
Thanks shipmate ill get on with installing it now
sonicninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 08:58 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Do not install Steam in the Program Files folder, unless you have a 2nd hard drive to make a 2nd Library folder for Steam games. Otherwise, SH4 will end up below Steam in the dreaded "Program Files" folder, which will prevent mod activation. Also, you will need to use MultiSH4 to create a Save folder for the Steam game, else the two mods will mix in the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder, which is the games default save location. MultiSH4 can change that to any 3 valid characters you want.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-20, 07:45 AM   #5
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Also do not use the steam created shortcut, it always starts STEAM first. Create your own shortcut to the exe, that way you can bypass STEAM and start the game directly (and more quickly).
Old 05-05-20, 02:25 AM   #6
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Also do not use the steam created shortcut, it always starts STEAM first. Create your own shortcut to the exe, that way you can bypass STEAM and start the game directly (and more quickly).
That's not true. If you buy the Steam version, you will need Steam running in order to play it. If you launch directly from the exe it will start Steam.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 07:16 AM   #7
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
That's not true. If you buy the Steam version, you will need Steam running in order to play it. If you launch directly from the exe it will start Steam.
what? no it is true and easy to verify yourself by using Task Manager. When you use the STEAM created shortcut, it starts STEAM first before SH4. With a shortcut to the exe, you bypass STEAM completely.

On my system, I get to the main menu in about 25 seconds as opposed to 1 minute with the STEAM shortcut, save between 400-800 MB of RAM and have lower CPU usage as well.

STEAM does not care about these ancient dinosaur apps that only a small group of players still play...
Old 05-05-20, 10:18 AM   #8
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
what? no it is true and easy to verify yourself by using Task Manager. When you use the STEAM created shortcut, it starts STEAM first before SH4. With a shortcut to the exe, you bypass STEAM completely.

On my system, I get to the main menu in about 25 seconds as opposed to 1 minute with the STEAM shortcut, save between 400-800 MB of RAM and have lower CPU usage as well.

STEAM does not care about these ancient dinosaur apps that only a small group of players still play...

Quote:

Why don't we stop arguing plz and focus at the task at hand you man-children.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 11:16 AM   #9
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Discussion... lol - but really, when it comes to Steam, it depends upon the OS and the UAC, as to what you can or cannot do with it. I have no problem on my Win7 machine starting from the game folder's exe file. Yet, on Win10, I have to go through the Steam app on the computer. To speed that up a bit, I can create a desktop short-cut to the game through Steam, but it still launches Steam when it's used. This ~does~ require an internet connection also, somewhat reminiscent of X-Box... - This is on ~my~ computer. ymmv, as they say. I also can no longer copy my Steam game in Windows 10 from folder to folder and have multiple mods running on the different copies. All I get then is a frozen game, which ain't no fun... sigh.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 11:42 AM   #10
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

There are always workarounds...

see here:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...67&postcount=8

and this is what it links to:

https://www.wsgf.org/phpBB3/viewtopi...=30590#p163494

I use it to play SH4 at 2560x1080 on my ultrawidescreen. It is not a STEAM exe, but will run the STEAM version of the game with no issues whether you run through STEAM or not. It also works in the standard resolutions as well.

I run the game on WIN 10 pro 64-bits.
Old 05-06-20, 01:16 AM   #11
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Quote:

You cannot bypass Steam with a shortcut to the exe, even one you make yourself. I launched directly from the exe in my source folder after exiting Steam and making sure it wasn't running in Task Manager before I even posted my comment. Only a few games do not have the Steam DRM on them. SH4 has it. Copy the game folder over to a computer without Steam and try to run it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Why don't we stop arguing plz and focus at the task at hand you man-children.
1. OPs question was answered in the second post. 2. Don't name call 3. How did your post add to the topic at hand?

Quote:
There are always workarounds...

see here:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...67&postcount=8

and this is what it links to:

https://www.wsgf.org/phpBB3/viewtopi...=30590#p163494

I use it to play SH4 at 2560x1080 on my ultrawidescreen. It is not a STEAM exe, but will run the STEAM version of the game with no issues whether you run through STEAM or not. It also works in the standard resolutions as well.

I run the game on WIN 10 pro 64-bits.
And there's your reason why right there, you've substituted the Steam exe for another one. Steam's DRM is only in the exe, by switching it out from another retail version you're circumventing the DRM.

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Old 05-06-20, 07:38 AM   #12
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Quote:
And there's your reason why right there, you've substituted the Steam exe for another one. Steam's DRM is only in the exe, by switching it out from another retail version you're circumventing the DRM.
As I said, it is very easy for anyone to bypass STEAM when playing SH4 if you want the game to load faster and not have STEAM playing in the background using RAM and CPU cycles. The tools are available to anyone who is semi-computer literate.

Use or don't use it, your choice.
Old 05-07-20, 12:25 AM   #13
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

That's not what your argument was initially, you left out a crucial detail and misrepresented the facts.

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Old 05-07-20, 07:42 AM   #14
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Quote:
That's not what your argument was initially, you left out a crucial detail and misrepresented the facts.
Not an argument, but a fact, you can easily bypass STEAM and I showed you how. Use it or don't use it, I could not care less.

The method of switching in a non-STEAM exe for a STEAM exe for modding is common knowledge, that is exactly what the TWOS mega-mod does in SH5. It switches your STEAM exe with a non-STEAM exe to which you can then make hardcoded changes using the tool developed by TDW.

Honestly, these threads are the reason why a lot of veteran players don't bother to answer questions from new players to help them out. There is always someone who will nitpick something. Now let's drop it and move on, this is going nowhere.

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 05-07-20 at 12:56 PM.
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 02:26 AM   #15
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

I took a step back and looked at our exchange, neither one of us is wrong. I'm not arguing that you CAN'T swap the exe out from a different source. I know that can be done for many reasons. You knew what you were talking about, but it wasn't worded in a way so that I (and other readers) was on the same page as you. Leaving out the bit about swapping exe's is how this snowballed. All I was trying to do was clear things up to prevent another thread from someone trying what you initially suggested and not getting your reported results. If little Jimmy installs SH4 off of Steam tomorrow and tries to just make a short cut WITHOUT swapping the exe, Steam will still launch. That's all I'm trying to get across. If I have to make a video and post it to YouTube to demonstrate this fact I will if that will help. As for veteran players, I am a veteran player. I didn't join Subsim yesterday, and I'm not nitpicking. I'm trying to provide help for players the same as you.

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03