SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-20, 10:55 AM   #1
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Uploads: 0
Default DXWnd and Silent Hunter 4

Okay, where to begin. I have two monitors. I saw FPSchazly post about using DXWnd and Dangerous Waters so I thought, OK, will it work with Silent Hunter 4? The answer is YES.

I duplicated my working Dangerous Waters STEAM profile from DXWnd and renamed it SH4 and directed it to my SH4 installation. I modified the Main page to run in Fullscreen only mode, Keep Aspect Ratio checked and set up my Window initial position & size to my in game resolution of 1920 x 1080.

The first tries, didn't work so I started to change some settings with no luck.
I got it to run but then I ran into the old "A required security module cannot be activated.....yada yada......"

I just happened to right click on the SH4 Profile that I had set up in DXWnd and noticed that it can be run hooked, unhooked or suspended. I chose "unhooked" and voila, SH4 runs in a window with no apparent problems except that so far I have not found a way to get SH4 to run at 30 FPS, it seems to be running balls out FPS. This can cause sunset/sunrise and other "timing" errors in 1X gameplay. I'll update this post when I figure this out. [EDIT] You can control the FPS using the Timing tab. I've set my Frame per Second Limit delay (msec) to 33 for 30 FPS. Testing now. It is unclear whether this is a frame rate limiter or a true FPS.

What is strange is that when I went back into the profile and unchecked "Hook enabled", it would no longer work. So I checked "Hook enabled" and right clicked the profile and ran unhooked and it works.

So without delving too deeply into understanding why, perhaps if FPSchazly reads this post he may chime in, I'm happy to report that I can run SH4 in a FULL SCREEN window on one monitor while having the use of my second monitor without having SH4 go into "Alt/Tab" mode. It just keeps running normally in the main window while I can bring up reference data on my second monitor, such as torpedo run times, Track Angle and vs Target Speed reference, etc. Hell, I can even browse to Subsim and post in the Forum.

Download the applet here...
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

READ ON...
I have some observations and questions.
While attempting to circumvent the "A required security module cannot be activated..." block, I uninstalled my Registered and Activated Copy of SH4 and reinstalled it on the drive that I am currently using for FOTRSUv1.26

1. The SH4 v 1.0000 installation directly from my original DVD went perfectly, however, when I attempted to run the SilentHunter4UBoatMissions_100_US.exe, which I had purchased many years ago, it would not run no matter what. It is being blocked by Windows 10 security which I have been unable to circumvent even running as administrator, running from command prompt, etc. i did my research and found that for some reason, this particular .exe will no longer update the SH4 v 1.0000 to SH4 v 1.5.
I understand that if you have original purchase information, receipts, emails, etc., which I have, you can open a ticket with UBISoft in order to get a link from them for a working .exe.
Fortunately I have archive copies of PRISTINE SH4 v1.5. I was able to copy over the archive files to the new installation and when I ran SH4 v 1.5 for the first time, the screen came up asking for my license key, which I have from my original purchase. I inserted it, and it accepted it and authorized my installation....PHEW!

2. The AMAZON link for U Boat Missions still works but AMAZON indicates it is no longer available. If a new user of SH4 wants to install U Boat Missions, what does one do? I understand that Steam has SH4 but what if one doesn't want to go through Steam. I'm asking just in case a new SH4 user happens upon this post. Can U Boat Missions be purchased directly from UbiSoft?

3. I was hoping that by having a new SH4 activated installation that would circumvent the "A required security mode...yada-yada..." block when starting SH4 through the DXWnd app. It doesn't. My experimentation wasn't a complete waste of time however, as I have uncovered some brick walls that a Newbie SH4 user may encounter.

4. Please chime in if you have workarounds or suggestions pertaining to updating a new install of SH4 v 1.000 to SH4. v1.5 without Steam.

5. Please chime in if you have discovered a way to get SH4 to run from DXWnd without running unhooked. That doesn't appear to be a problem however.

I am currently running SH4 FOTRSUv1.26 in a Full Screen Window on one screen while posting this on SUBSIM Forum.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 12-29-20 at 07:23 AM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 11:16 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Most interesting! If a person can use their second monitor and NOT trash the running SH4, then I wonder what happens if you use a blank spot on the Windowed SH4's screen?...

As for the U-Boat Missions Add-On, I have now run into that several times. Initially (according to Ubisoft Tech Support back when), there was a limit as to how many times the Add-On could be used (?? how does it "keep count"??). So they linked me to a new executable download for the old disk version and digital download version I have, but said "this is limited to six installs." Again, how does it track its use? Does it "fone home"? Anyway, it also seemed to be "time-sensitive", and would no longer work a couple of years later with another system build I had made, so again, they gave me a new download link, same caveats. I just installed on another new build, and again, the download for the Add-On does not "activate"... So maybe I'll try them again. My problem now, is finding the old original information, buried on some HD sitting on the shelf as "back-up"... Surely they have a record of me pestering them every few years or so... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 12:06 PM   #3
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Most interesting! If a person can use their second monitor and NOT trash the running SH4, then I wonder what happens if you use a blank spot on the Windowed SH4's screen?...

Surely they have a record of me pestering them every few years or so... lol
I'm using DXWnd in FULL SCREEN mode on my main monitor so there is no "blank spot."

As long as you have a PRISTINE copy of SH4 v1.5 archived somewhere on your hard drives, all you need is the key to activate the U-Boat Missions. You don't actually have to run the .exe

I have several PRISTINE copies of SH4 v1.5 that I can copy and use as a base for mod testing. Of course I'm also using Rockin Robbins Corruption Management System for SH4.

Old 12-20-20, 03:03 PM   #4
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Default DXWnd and Silent Hunter 4 notes

Figuring out how to get Silent Hunter 4 running in a full screen 1920 x 1080 window in order to avoid alt/tab, either purposefully or accidentally. I've succeeded in getting SH4 modded with TMO/RSRD/OTC/Ralles Mod Pack to run in a full screen window at ~30 fps while using a second monitor to run auxiliary and information apps such as Electronic Maneuvering Board and detailed torpedo data sheets. It's a bit tricky as the settings are difficult to figure out.
One of the problems is that the dreaded SecurROM digital rights overseer comes into play, even though I have current and activated keys to SH4 version 1; v1.4 and v1.5. This forces me to run the app "unhooked" but in order to get the windowed mode, the app must be "hooked" within the settings. IDK, it works though...
Once in windowed mode, the only downside is that when I window out to the other monitor, SH4 keeps on playing, and I can monitor its progress, but I can no longer hear the sounds. Everything else seems to work fine. It's easy to get sound focus back by just clicking on the monitor #1.

One other issue is the FPS vertical sync limit. In regular play, I use the NvidiaProfileInspector to control my FPS to 30, not by Frame Rate Limiting, but by vertical sync limiting to 1/4 of the 120 HZ vertical sync settings in game graphic settings (1920X1080@120HZ). While using the DXWnd, there is a setting in the TIMING tab that limits FPS by setting a delay. I am using 33msec delay which translates to ~ 30 FPS. Now, I'm not certain that this works out exactly the same as the vertical sync limit. For those who have not read my posts on this issue as to how this affects the in game celestial sphere timing at 1X play over long periods of time, and, are interested, PM me for details.
If you only play at time compression, the 30 FPS issue will most likely not affect your style of play. If you spend a lot of time at 1X play, you will notice a de-synchronization of Sunrise/Sunset/Moonrise/Moonset after a long while which could result in being attacked at night by aircraft and ships that, in their world it's day, but in your world it's night...

Old 12-23-20, 09:54 AM   #5
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Default Stability and smooth graphics

I've tweaked my DXWnd settings for SH4 TMO Ralles Pack so that I am getting a stable window which has very smooth graphics and display, functions (so far) perfectly and plays at a stable 60 FPS. I can use my second monitor to use other applets such as Electronic Maneuvering Board and check .pdf data sheets without losing focus on SH4 running in a full screen window on my primary monitor. The only quibble is that I lose sound focus when I click away from SH4. Other than that, it works great!

Old 12-23-20, 03:32 PM   #6
propbeanie

My dual-screen set-up died the other day while editing FotRSU files... I think I burned it up... lol - I actually think it was a voltage spike that took out the PS, but I have to get time to confirm that just yet...

Hopefully, I can get something running with two screens so I can try this out!

Old 12-24-20, 04:02 PM   #7
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Default When you're ready let me know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
My dual-screen set-up died the other day while editing FotRSU files... I think I burned it up... lol - I actually think it was a voltage spike that took out the PS, but I have to get time to confirm that just yet...

Hopefully, I can get something running with two screens so I can try this out!
I've learned a few "tips and tricks" along the way to get DXWnd to play well with SH4 TMO and SH4 FOTRSU.

Old 12-24-20, 06:31 PM   #8
propbeanie

I def would like to use them... but I am about ready to take my hat off, hold it over my heart, cry some more, and say "farewell the only and last Intel motherboard I will ever own... sigh"

Old 01-02-21, 12:32 PM   #9
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Default I'm currently running DXWnd

It is rather complex, setting DXWnd to run SH4 in a stable 60 fps window. Once the "trick" is found, however, it works for both Legacy DVD, v1.4, v1.5 updates installations, or the STEAM version, or any Supermod you may want to play with.

I'm currently playing a FOTRSUv1.39 Career, December 1941, Gar class sub in a focused window on my MAIN monitor while being able to use my Second Monitor for other things.

One of the BEST side effects of this method is no longer worrying about an accidental Alt/Tab causing SH4 in game problems.