SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-25-21, 02:50 PM   #1
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Ask for terrible or thermal layers...

Hi Captains,

I've installed:

TMO 2.5
Small patch for TMO 2.5
RSRDC_TMO_v5.02
Fixed_CP_sonar_RSRDC
Bigger BetterProtractors.

So, now my question:

1) Every now and then I heare something like: "Ask for thermal layers" or "ask for terrible layers". How do I get rid of it?
2) How do I get my installed MODS definitly under my posts?
Old 05-25-21, 03:42 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

If you are wanting a mod list to show each time you post, then click on "UserCP" in the menu banner, toward the upper left of the SubSim page, below the static area above, but just above the threads list for the various sections of the site. After clicking on that, use "Edit signature" about one third of the way down that page, on the left. There you will get a text box, like you do when making a post, in which you can place just about anything a normal text can take, within the confines of human decency and SubSim restrictions of course... lol

As for what you are hearing, are you referring to a phrase "Passing thermal layer" that varies in depth, whether diving or surfacing? If so, that is a wav sound in the Data / Sound folder "Submarine_passing_thermal_layer_INT.wav", which you can "Mute" with an audio editor, or use S3D and turn the volume of it down in SH.SDL, if desired. It is listed at the top of the SH.SDL file. Sorry if I misunderstand what your questions are.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-21, 03:54 PM   #3
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Ask or terrible layer....

No, I hear it all the time. About every 5 seconds...
So, also when I'm on the bridge
Old 05-25-21, 04:49 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post
No, I hear it all the time. About every 5 seconds...
So, also when I'm on the bridge
If i am understanding you right.. what it sounds like is.. you are describing a glitch. 1 thing I know of, to usually reset those is.. to do a save.. preferably a safe save.. not near land/ships, as well as on the surface... wait a few minutes before closing out then reboot back up. That will usually do the trick... please note I say, usually.. as there are some glitches that will invariably be due to a mismatch of mods & the only way to resolve those is to find the offending mod/s in question, deactivate them then painfully having to delete the save folder & restart a career. NOT terribly painful, if you're just getting started on a career, but still a pain, none the less.

With mods, you really have to pay attention to what version of SH4 (or any other variation of Silent Hunter, for that matter... ) they are for, & carefully weight the likelihood of them causing issues with other mods.. as some will very likely NOT play well with other mods. Can't stress that enough. Been there, done that..

Hope this info helps..

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 05-25-21 at 06:51 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-21, 05:47 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

As MM says, a Save, exit the game, restart the game, then load the Save can sometimes help. One thing with your mod list, is you can remove the "Small patch for TMO 2.5" (RSRDC fixes that issue), and put "RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1" in after RSRDC, such that you would have
TMO 2.5
RSRDC_TMO_v5.02
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Fixed_CP_sonar_RSRDC
Bigger BetterProtractors
just one question though - is the sonar fix needed with RSRDCv5.02? It edits the sensors for the Type B, Type C and Type D IJN Kaibokan (DE) ships. I am not at my regular computer, so cannot see the files. Also, "shelling-out" to Windows, where you use <Alt><Tab> or <Ctrl><Tab> combinations, or the <Windows> key to get to the desktop or another app, can and will cause that sort of issue with the "Passing thermal layer" repeating, among other symptoms, such as a column of steam following your submerged submarine around...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 08:53 AM   #6
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214

It's the sonarman reporting 'Passing thermal layer.' Normally that happens when your submarine passes through a lower to higher density layer or visa versa.

https://fleetsubmarine.com/bathythermograph.html

When you hear the sonarman repeat this over and over without passing a thermal layer it's a sound glitch. I address the bother by saving game then going to main screen and loading that save.

Old 05-26-21, 01:45 PM   #7
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hey helpers,

I think it is indeed the case that I have installed wrong either the order or the necessity of MODs.
I have now installed everything according to Probeanie and everything works flawlessly! Gone are the calls to terrible layers and the interesting clouds of steam that kept following my ship.
Thanks to everyone who helped me (again!).
Old 05-26-21, 05:05 PM   #8
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post
Hey helpers,

I think it is indeed the case that I have installed wrong either the order or the necessity of MODs.
I have now installed everything according to Probeanie and everything works flawlessly! Gone are the calls to terrible layers and the interesting clouds of steam that kept following my ship.
Thanks to everyone who helped me (again!).
Ahoy, easy...

Glad you got everything.. (dare I say it.. awww.. what the heck.. ) 'ship shape'...

But.. in all seriousness, glad you got things sorted out & back on track.

Fair winds, smooth seas... & Good huntin'.

M. M.