SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-20, 01:05 PM   #1
embraceentropy
Seaman

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo Missing Long Consistently

I'm in a campaign and have had an acceptable amount of hits/misses given my experience level with manual targeting, especially sonar only.

I came across a Hakusika Maru about 10nm out. After plotting enough positions to come up with a target course I set myself up 90 deg off so I would be at ~3000yds when the target was in position. I continuously plotted for course and speed and everything was consistent with speed at 9kts (confirmed via 2:58 rule and longer/shorter time spans). At periscope depth with scope down, I confirmed the target was not alarmed. I prepared my solution, tripled checked everything on the PK after confirming range/bearing. After opening the tubes, PK looked perfect, I fired a two shot spread (~2.5 degrees) and both missed way long (~700yds ahead of the target). I checked everything again, refreshed my solution, fired a single shot, missed ~700yds long.

Fortunately I saved during the hunt, so out of curiosity I loaded back in. This time I used the scope, confirming speed with the chrono and scope (still 9kts), distance between omnimeter, stadimeter & sonar surprisingly close to each other. Double/triple checked, open tubes, fired, missed ~700yds long.

I then continued to re-load the scenario about 10 times, trying different parameters, contacts, PK on/off, taking extra measurements, etc. Still consistently missing ~700 yards long. At one point I went along parallel and matched speed, 9kts, entered solution, fired, ~700 yds long.

I then tried setting the speed slower & slower in the PK until I got a hit. Finally, I found that setting target speed to 5kts in the PK (actual target speed still measured at 9kts) yielded a dead center hit 3/3 attempts.

Confused, I tried the subs school torpedo mission, slapped a quick, dirty solution together (using actual measured speed) and landed a hit at the tip of the stern, but a hit nonetheless.

Thinking it was mod soup, I completely uninstalled, cleaned registry, reinstalled, and applied the minimum mods. Exact same result!

The only torpedoes in my tubes in that save are MK18s, so I can't narrow it down to that being an issue.

Mod List (in order):
1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5XX_Patch1
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 16 to 9 RSRDCv502
Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton
Bigger Better Protractors

What could this be?

Edit/Update: In the same campaign I went on with my patrol and came across a merchant of a different class. Did the work-up with 7kts calculated & confirmed, missed long ~700 yards. I set the PK speed down to 3kts, refreshed my solution, hit midship. I re-loaded, emptied a tube, and loaded a MK14. Same work-up, missed long ~700 yards.

Last edited by embraceentropy; 12-15-20 at 06:23 PM.
embraceentropy is offline   Reply With Quote