SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-17, 08:09 AM   #1
She-Wolf
Watchdog

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0
Default The New Game

so what's it like chaps? I haven't enough pennies to buy it yet, on my wishlist. Single Player I like and Onkel Neal's description was glowing - but is it too detailed and complicated for an old girl like me to get the hang of? Is it as good as. or better than Silent Hunter 3/4, and the modded versions etc ?
Old 07-11-17, 08:45 AM   #2
Badger343rd
Loader

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 3

The only way to answer this question is to ask another question first. What was it you liked about silent hunter?
Badger343rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 08:54 AM   #3
She-Wolf
Watchdog

that I could get into the game without needing to pore through manuals to see what I have to do ( like Dangerous Waters IIRC). That I was in direct control from my keyboard ( which did not seem to be the way of it when SH5 came out) that it was fun and had its quirky moments ( like in SH3 Grey Wolves), that it was just me playing - I don't do teams or multiplayer. Is that enough? I just want to know if YOU are enjoying it, and why.. then I can perhaps make up my mind if I would enjoy it as well.
Old 07-11-17, 09:05 AM   #4
Badger343rd
Loader

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 3

well based on your reply ,I would think it safe to say you'd enjoy it.however it is a different animal than SH by far.As for what I like....I'm on the fence.I want more involvement and immersion that it has to offer,but the game isn't finished yet so that could happen.IMO based on the price...and comparing it too Dangerous Waters...its over priced...as its half of what Sub Command or Dangerous Waters was(less than half really).BUT...it also has an upgraded graphics engine so things look pretty(makes me angry they didn't go whole hog and do a dangerous waters ala 2017)they could have done that and also included a less involved gaming mode like it has now.With that said...short intense battle is a fun thing (i'm just not sure how long that will sustain interest over the test of time).IMO of course.

Last edited by Badger343rd; 07-11-17 at 09:26 AM.
Badger343rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 09:21 AM   #5
MisterMannIndy
Swabbie

Downloads: 10

Agree with Bagder's advice/comments. You may also want to check out Jive Turkey's YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9b...NaMPsK9GtzM5dQ). If I understood his background properly, he used to be a sonar operator back in the 80's/90's on a 688. His Cold Waters videos are excellent.
MisterMannIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 09:25 AM   #6
Shadow
Torpedoman

Uploads: 2

Compared to the Silent Hunter games, strategic movement is simplified, and there's no crew management. However, sonar and torpedo gameplay is more involved due to the advances of the time period.

The campaigns are dynamic like in SH, and you get handed random assignments which contribute to your side's progress in the war. There's medals to earn as well, but only for you, the captain (I remember SH3 had decorations you could distribute among the crewmen).

That's all I can think of at the moment, so it's similar yet different from Silent Hunter. I wouldn't call it "minimalistic" compared to it, considering SH wasn't really complex unless you really wanted to calculate archaic firing solutions for unguided torpedoes by hand.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 09:28 AM   #7
She-Wolf
Watchdog

very helpful - thank you sirs - I shall have a look at that YT vid as advised MMI, and I feel I can wait a while for the game to improve before I part with me pennies, without fretting. Cheers m'dears!
Old 07-11-17, 09:29 AM   #8
ChaosphereIX
Mate

Downloads: 38

I am loving Cold Waters. My goal is to elite campaign all of the subs worth doing...SSBNs need not apply.

It never gets old.
ChaosphereIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 09:56 AM   #9
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

It's a very fun game. There's quick action, which is always good. There are just a few mission templates in the campaign but each one is always different with a somewhat randomized selection of ships and different approach angles. Since the campaign is dynamic, it's always a new experience.

Cold Waters uses 3D visuals to represent the tactical picture in a commander's mind, so you can see enemy submarines and ships off in the distance once their solution reaches a certain confidence.

Cold Waters also focuses more on being the captain than Dangerous Waters. Over half the challenge of Dangerous Waters is knowing how to work all the stations, whereas in Cold Waters your challenge deals almost entirely with the battle at hand. I find Cold Waters to be more tactically challenging more frequently.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 10:06 AM   #10
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Ok, this is going to sound like a broken record as it's been said so many times. Go watch Jive Turkey's youtube channel. Beware that he spent a lot of time in the 3D viewer on his stream as it's more entertaining for the audience. If you're like me, you'll spend much more time on the tactical plot.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 10:23 AM   #11
She-Wolf
Watchdog

Wiz, I have bookmarked the YT channel already - thank 'ee.

FPS, the quick action bit might be a challenge for me; I like to make haste slowly, creep up on 'em sorta thing - but it seems you and CS9 are enjoying it. I quite like the idea of no crew management as well - but do you get to work the sonar I wonder?
No matter, I shall find out for myself when the right time comes...
Old 07-11-17, 10:39 AM   #12
Shadow
Torpedoman

Uploads: 2

A good portion of your target detection depends on sonar, and it's a gradual process. Once you're close enough and pointing the sub the right way, you get a whiff of the contact, so to speak, a general indication of where they are. With time and some light maneuvering, the accuracy of that "solution" increases, narrowing down the location and eventually course and speed.

There's also the matter of target classification using the Signature panel: every vessel has a specific sonar signature, and you can help speed the classification comparing what you see on the panel to the catalog of signatures you have at your disposal.

Then there's the nuances of active sonar, and how detectable you are versus the selected contact (and viceversa). There's solid theory behind that, but it can be sort of learned on the go and reading around a bit.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 01:45 PM   #13
She-Wolf
Watchdog

sounds interesting. Thank you Shadow
Old 07-11-17, 04:11 PM   #14
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Wolf View Post
sounds interesting. Thank you Shadow
It sounds to me like you may be a fan of the 68 campaign which requires a lot more maneuvering and positioning to get into a "good" (where you can expect your slow electric torpedo to hit your usually faster, nuclear-powered enemy) firing position. Not to put it down but I find the 1984 campaign is much more about spamming Mk 48s. A buddy of mine did this as an amusing test the other day, he started a mission and right away put a Mk 48 down the last reported bearing, without even having a contact. Within a minute he picked up the contact as it put on speed to escape the torp and another two minutes after that it was dead.
Old 07-11-17, 04:49 PM   #15
She-Wolf
Watchdog

may be Bandit - learning new ways to do things and succeeding after trial and error is what makes a game enjoyable, as long as it isn't too hard....