SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-30-16, 01:49 PM   #2266
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
You are on the right track, and that is the only thing really needed
It works okay for one-person mods here, but when you get five you definitely need organization. A separate forum gives us that organization. Did Jeff (either one of them!) send you a link?

We're having a lot of fun doing this, really. But modding does keep you from playing the game. I look forward to when the mod is out there and I can enjoy playing SH4 again. But this has been an unbelievable amount of fun and we've got a ways to go.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-16, 02:23 PM   #2267
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Hitman has the link.
Old 09-30-16, 09:19 PM   #2268
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
OK, I kinda got carried away with the intro screens. But what the hey, we can make some JSGME mods for them and if someone gets bored of one intro screen, they can always load another, right?

Any way, here's what I've come up with, let me know what you think guys. ...

From back on page 141... This is ~SO~ SSI Silent Hunter, it ain't ~funny~!... It's gotta be an Easter Egg...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-16, 10:08 PM   #2269
propbeanie

Still gathering notes for some noodling tomorrow, and came across this again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Nevada Class Battleship, has several area's of white superstructure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Zoom in on the Nevada. There are some areas mapped to a very light color.
Think that's an attempt at a camo scheme? ala:

UNS Camo for BB
and
WW2 Ship Camo
Warning: both are wikipedia, and accuracy is not guaranteed... but good for examples.

Should we call in The Painter, aka: The Arteest, aka: max-peck, and have him do up some USN liveries?... - based upon dates and locations, of course

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-30-16 at 10:11 PM. Reason: What spelling skule did you go to young man?...
Old 09-30-16, 10:51 PM   #2270
propbeanie

Ya know what might be just a little ~TOO~ realistic for me in this iteration? I just got sunk by friendly fire from a US BB catapult plane... seriously... ID'd the plane and all visually, little white star on the wings, I'm flying a US flag on a Porpoise Fleet Boat, and I hear gunfire, so I crash dive, avoid right, avoid left, and right into the first bomb he dropped, and it hits the conn... Now, I basically invite the planes to come look at me sometimes, "testing", so I've been attacked over a dozen times by them, but all the others have been enemy combatants. This is like the fifth time I've been directly hit with a bomb, 3 have hit the conn, one has hit the deck just forward of the conn, and one has blown the aft torpedo room off my boat. Granted, I'm staying up way past when I normally would with airplanes, checking things out and all, but man, these guys are beyond skillful... Wow... They sure are getting a lot of practice on me...

Edit: OK, Saturday morning armchair quarterbacking, looking at the films with the team... I'd "saved" with Replay before going blub-blub-blub, and I've been trying to review, and I'm not sure now ~which~ airplane did it. There are two of them spawned, one US, one Japanese. I had not seen the 2nd floatplane. I'll have to ask CapnScurvy if the airplanes' pilots have a Friend / Foe ID function in their AI for US subs. It's very difficult to find the airplanes buzzing around, much less be able to follow them as they maneuver around in the sky... Sitting on top of my boat with the camera is in too close, and I've missed the attack now like five times, other than seeing the actual hits (two bombs into the front of the conn) from the front angle now... All I can say, is if I'd stayed hard to the right, may not have been an issue, but I tried a juke, and got hit...

Last edited by propbeanie; 10-01-16 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Saturday morning armchair conference
Old 10-01-16, 03:31 PM   #2271
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

Think that's an attempt at a camo scheme? ala:

UNS Camo for BB
and
WW2 Ship Camo
Warning: both are wikipedia, and accuracy is not guaranteed... but good for examples.

Should we call in The Painter, aka: The Arteest, aka: max-peck, and have him do up some USN liveries?... - based upon dates and locations, of course
Hell yes, Looking at alot of the added us fleet, they are bit ermm SH3 or naked...
Old 10-02-16, 07:30 AM   #2272
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Navigator, would you like to be a specially selected crash test.....er.....beta tester? I'll be happy to PM you a link.
I'm convalescing at the moment so I'm going to have 2 to 3 months of spare time on my hands.
12 days in hospital has sucked the life out of me and I thought that being a beta tester would aid me in my recovery. I would be happy to participate in this endeavour of yours if you need any one else to beta test the mod.

ML
Old 10-02-16, 08:13 AM   #2273
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
From back on page 141... This is ~SO~ SSI Silent Hunter, it ain't ~funny~!... It's gotta be an Easter Egg...
That's on the project list!
Old 10-02-16, 08:18 AM   #2274
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Okay, do you believe the US Navy? Try this on for size:

USS North Carolina, May 1941
By U.S. Navy - http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...h-n/bb55-c.htm, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7689350
Old 10-02-16, 09:47 AM   #2275
propbeanie

Almost looks like they're "sniffing" the atmosphere with the rifle barrels... they got 'em up out of the way for the painters?... :wink:

Or are they worried about runs and dribbles on the barrels?...

Old 10-03-16, 08:29 AM   #2276
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
seriously... ID'd the plane and all visually, little white star on the wings, I'm flying a US flag on a Porpoise Fleet Boat, and I hear gunfire, so I crash dive, avoid right, avoid left, and right into the first bomb he dropped, and it hits the conn... Now, I basically invite the planes to come look at me sometimes, "testing", so I've been attacked over a dozen times by them.

I'll have to ask CapnScurvy if the airplanes' pilots have a Friend / Foe ID function in their AI for US subs

Yes, expect the friendly AI to target you from time to time. There's a parameter for what percentage of an AirStrike will involve friendly fire.

The outside "Free Camera" is great to work with when you use the "Pause" key to stop the action. I've used it after firing a Deck Gun shell at a target. I'll pass by the shell in mid-flight, set myself on the target ships deck, then un pause the action. The shell sound of incoming fire is very realistic!

For planes, it helps to know where to look. Follow the plane to a position where you think you have its bearing on the Nav Map. Go to Free Camera then Pause the action. Look in the general area of the planes relative bearing to the sub. If the plane is not visible...try the Zoom feature. You may try to "move" into the general area of the plane to see if you can find it. Their small and hard to find but the closer the plane gets, the better the chance of finding it in mid-air.

I'm not sure if the Next/Previous Unit keys will show a plane......they will when its a ship.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-16, 08:51 AM   #2277
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3217

Dear mates:

Testing Beta26, I have this "polygonal" hats in my officers:

I didn't have this effect in FOTRS 13 or FOTRS v2. Does some user have this graphic problem?

I play with max graphics, 60 FPS, Nvidia GC, 4GB Patch, and only FOTRSUBeta26. Nvidia inspector enabled, with the same settings as FOTRS v13.

BTW, I´m testing my own version of Poul´s sounds modified by me, sounds great in FOTRSU (better, for me, than the included in the supermod).

Also, I´m taking images of all the ships in Museum in Beta26. No CTD (I didn´t see all the museum).

Many thanks for the job and the support!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-16, 09:53 AM   #2278
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Yes, expect the friendly AI to target you from time to time. There's a parameter for what percentage of an AirStrike will involve friendly fire.
Wow...

Quote:
The outside "Free Camera" is great to work with when you use the "Pause" key to stop the action. I've used it after firing a Deck Gun shell at a target. I'll pass by the shell in mid-flight, set myself on the target ships deck, then un pause the action. The shell sound of incoming fire is very realistic!

For planes, it helps to know where to look. Follow the plane to a position where you think you have its bearing on the Nav Map. Go to Free Camera then Pause the action. Look in the general area of the planes relative bearing to the sub. If the plane is not visible...try the Zoom feature. You may try to "move" into the general area of the plane to see if you can find it. Their small and hard to find but the closer the plane gets, the better the chance of finding it in mid-air.
I have not ever tried to pause the playback, and then move, and I don't know why... I'll have to try that. I have moved between a couple of battlewagons duking it out in the game, and it really is quite impressive hearing the shells whistle back and forth.

Quote:
I'm not sure if the Next/Previous Unit keys will show a plane......they will when its a ship.
It does not in this particular Single Mission that I did, and I don't recall it doing it in the Campaign files I've noodled around in and have gotten sunk by airplanes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Dear mates:

Testing Beta26, I have this "polygonal" hats in my officers:

I didn't have this effect in FOTRS 13 or FOTRS v2. Does some user have this graphic problem?...
I have not had that, but it definitely is ~very~ interesting... We'll have to figure out how you managed to get that... In addition to the chrome and rivet brim (hat), is that a blank scan line on the display, about halfway between the hat and the text box up top, or do you get that all the time?

Quote:
... BTW, I´m testing my own version of Poul´s sounds modified by me, sounds great in FOTRSU (better, for me, than the included in the supermod).
Do you want to package that up, do a ReadMe with credits for everybody, and release it as an FotRS Ultimate add-on mod? We'll be doing similar with Bleiente's version in a few weeks...

... and "Thank you" for helping out.

Old 10-03-16, 10:54 AM   #2279
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3217

Quote:
I have not had that, but it definitely is ~very~ interesting... We'll have to figure out how you managed to get that... In addition to the chrome and rivet brim (hat), is that a blank scan line on the display, about halfway between the hat and the text box up top, or do you get that all the time?
The black line is a cable of a Porpoise boat. The shoy was taken in the Torpedo School mission. The effect in the hat appears ever in my FOTRSU, all campaigns, all missions....No solution with the change of graphic options.

Also I used RUIM mod and the effect continues. If you zoom the officer (closing him or using binos), the effect disappears. Misterious....

Many thanks and best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-16, 11:43 AM   #2280
propbeanie

Quote:
The black line is a cable of a Porpoise boat...
I see that, now that I've paid a bit more attention to the detail to the right in the picture, where it mounts to the boat... I initially thought that it might be part of the issue. The hat almost looks like a mod. Is that the only crew member to wear a hat like that, or if a different "shift" crew member, do they also wear it, and is it only when on the watch crew(s)?...