SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-14-21, 07:30 AM   #2551
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

The two keys for printscreen in FotRS is "Ctrl + F11" if you have a save before coming into port I would load it up and use those two keys above instead of Ctrl-Prt-Scrn.
Old 01-14-21, 09:42 AM   #2552
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 535
Uploads: 1

I have a question regarding visual threshold at sea.

With a sunny clear day, 0-1 ft. seas, vessel travelling at 8-10 kts., what is the minimum visual detection range for both the sub and a merchant?

Thanks,
Old 01-14-21, 10:30 AM   #2553
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
The two keys for printscreen in FotRS is "Ctrl + F11" if you have a save before coming into port I would load it up and use those two keys above instead of Ctrl-Prt-Scrn.
i meant Ctrl+F11 but i typed Ctrl-Prt-Scrn. i've corrected it for the historical record.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 11:22 AM   #2554
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
if you have a save before coming into port I would load it up and use those two keys above instead of Ctrl-Prt-Scrn.
thank you for the suggestion. unfortunately, it has lead me (us) down a rabbit hole where things have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous.

my original question focused on a discrepancy between the Objectives Completed on the Captain's Panel and the End of Patrol Screen. when i used Moonlight's excellent suggestion, i discovered that the Captain's Panel had changed from what it was previously and so also did the End of Patrol Screen.
First time

After Reloading

End of Patrol Screen with the Original Issue circled

Issues:
Why does the first Captain's Panel show all Objectives as Completed when the End of Patrol Screen shows a Blank Objective as Not Completed (circled)?
Why does the second Captain's Panel appear to have different results for previously Completed Objectives for the same mission?
Why does the End of Patrol screen only credit for one ship and 1800 tons when many more ships were sunk?

Knowns:
Fourth Mission of Career. Objective was Sink Philippines 07.
Begun March 1 1942 from Surabaya and will end in Fremantle March 22, 1942.
Driving a Sargo.
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.39_EN
200 FotRSU_NipponMaru_Public_Beta_v1.1_Build

LAA enabled
Old 01-14-21, 01:08 PM   #2555
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
is there an authorized mod for Stop the Screen Scroll for Ultimate?

i have checked all of the extra documentation folders and did not see anything so if i missed it, my apologies.

if it was not documented can you tell what value to change ParentID to in Menu.ini?

[G26 I9]
Name=Bottom
Type=1030;Static bmp
ItemID=0x26130003
ParentID=0x26130000
It's called NoScrollNavMap. I've been using it through all the iterations of FOTRSU. Doesn't seem to interfere with v1.39 in the least.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 04:18 PM   #2556
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
ahoy,

Got a weird question to ask...

In game, the base portion SH4 or the mod itself... is wave action/currents, modeled in them.?

Reason I ask, is... noted that for some reason, I came to a dead stop it seemed like.. like the sub got dropped to its knees, is a sub had knees that is...

When I checked by using the side view options (, & .) & the free cam (F12) view... sub was like.. not moving, yet the props were going as they should... but... NO forward movement, . Had the telegraph set to 1/3 ahead... by either selecting the secondary view of the telegraph section from the 1/3-2/3, etc. view to seeing the numbered knots speed section, & clicking on the 3 knots, I could get the sub moving once more.. there was a time or 2, that even doing that, did NOT work, I'd have to slam the telegraph from 1/3 ahead, to 2/3's ahead, let it ramp up to like... 5.. 6 knots, then push it back into 1/3 ahead.

This occurred like... 3-5 times, as I recall.

Sea conditions that I noted during those times of this happening, were choppy, but not serious swells, in game...

Just wanted to ask, as I'm not completely sure that it's a bug... but.. ya never know...

M. M.

The game does not model that supposedly, the currents and drift, it seems, but I do know that if a ship is set to "DockedShip=true" in the mis file, and a blow comes up, that the ship will "move" with the wind. A wind out of the north will cause a ship to drift south, against its "anchor"... The game defaults to a five knot wind, but that might be altered prior to the start of a "scenario" and either be higher or lower, and then follow the "chance" of the game's weather. Modeling currents would be cool, but not practical, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
I have a question regarding visual threshold at sea.

With a sunny clear day, 0-1 ft. seas, vessel travelling at 8-10 kts., what is the minimum visual detection range for both the sub and a merchant?

Thanks,
There is a setting in the game, and we can alter it with "multipliers", but it is difficult to say. Prior to altering the visual sensors, and when we had the guns set to 12k yards, you could get shot at by a BB from that distance, and shore guns were rather more deadly than they are now - scary. As of right now, some of the planes act like they're blind half of the time again, and we'll have to test them again. I don't know if I've just gotten used to dealing with them with an arbitrary crash dive, or if they have gone blind from jungle hootch they make with aircraft fuel, or what... suffice to say that anywhere from 2500-9200 yards, environmental and crew rating dependent (as well as your attitude), with it leaning toward the high end of that. Airplanes are a different story, going way out there sometimes.

Quote:
thank you for the suggestion. unfortunately, it has lead me (us) down a rabbit hole where things have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous.

my original question focused on a discrepancy between the Objectives Completed on the Captain's Panel and the End of Patrol Screen. when i used Moonlight's excellent suggestion, i discovered that the Captain's Panel had changed from what it was previously and so also did the End of Patrol Screen.
First time

After Reloading

End of Patrol Screen with the Original Issue circled

Issues:
Why does the first Captain's Panel show all Objectives as Completed when the End of Patrol Screen shows a Blank Objective as Not Completed (circled)?
Why does the second Captain's Panel appear to have different results for previously Completed Objectives for the same mission?
Why does the End of Patrol screen only credit for one ship and 1800 tons when many more ships were sunk?

Knowns:
Fourth Mission of Career. Objective was Sink Philippines 07.
Begun March 1 1942 from Surabaya and will end in Fremantle March 22, 1942.
Driving a Sargo.
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.39_EN
200 FotRSU_NipponMaru_Public_Beta_v1.1_Build
I am going to hazard a guess that you used Status Report maybe?? The big question is, where were you for each of those Contact Reports & Status Report, and what was the assignment? Maybe you used a "Contact Report", and were told to "Sink the enemy merchant vessels", and after that, called in a Status Report, and that's what's not showing??... After that blank assignment, you did another "Contact Report" and got the "Cause serious damage..." assignment??... It might be possible to go back in the Save structure and find when you did the Status Report, and then see what the assignments were immediately after. You were probably given an assignment that does not have a proper summary to display on the Captain's Log. The Objective is there, but no synopsis to display, in other words. Once it passed from your visual view and short-term memory, it was gone, never to be completed. If you can get a ballpark guesstimate of where you were at a given call-in, we can then draw a circle on the map, and see what assignments fall into those parameters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
It's called NoScrollNavMap. I've been using it through all the iterations of FOTRSU. Doesn't seem to interfere with v1.39 in the least.
The mod is "mostly compatible", but not completely ("actually, I'm feeling much better now"). It does have some contrary settings in the menu_1024_768.ini file, but I don't remember which. We might get to dressing those add-in mods, as well as some Single Mission files we received, for inclusion with the next version. maybe...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 04:51 PM   #2557
propbeanie

Is this close to your first assignment, KaleunMarco?

were you around there when you phoned in the reports?

Old 01-14-21, 06:35 PM   #2558
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Is this close to your first assignment, KaleunMarco?
Yes.

Quote:
were you around there when you phoned in the reports?
No.

Since it was a SINK mission, there were two objectives, one for reaching the patrol zone and one for sinking the tonnage. Both of those were completed.

After the initial objectives, i encountered three of four Convoys/TFs and used the right-hand-radio Contact button (ship) requesting permission to attack (and acquire a new objective). I was given permission for three of four (or four of five) i cannot remember exactly. One request was denied. i suspect that that Objective is the problem. I have no empirical reason other than it appears in the list in the order of my requests.

i did not use the left-hand Status button at all during this mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
I am going to hazard a guess that you used Status Report maybe?? The big question is, where were you for each of those Contact Reports & Status Report, and what was the assignment? Maybe you used a "Contact Report", and were told to "Sink the enemy merchant vessels",
yes, three or four times

Quote:
and after that, called in a Status Report, and that's what's not showing??...
No

Quote:
After that blank assignment, you did another "Contact Report" and got the "Cause serious damage..." assignment??...
yes. however, if you look at the first Captain's panel you will see that there are no uncompleted Objectives. the Uncompleted objectives only appear in the End Patrol screen.

Quote:
It might be possible to go back in the Save structure and find when you did the Status Report, and then see what the assignments were immediately after. You were probably given an assignment that does not have a proper summary to display on the Captain's Log. The Objective is there, but no synopsis to display, in other words. Once it passed from your visual view and short-term memory, it was gone, never to be completed. If you can get a ballpark guesstimate of where you were at a given call-in, we can then draw a circle on the map, and see what assignments fall into those parameters.
ok, i can believe your supposition.

i will attempt to pinpoint the location of my radio transmissions however i am unsure of success. i can say with near certainty that all of the Secondary Objectives were in response to contact with a TF/Convoy and they were in the general area of the Pacific Ocean just east of Davao...Between Davao and Peleliu/Palau.

LAA enabled
Old 01-14-21, 07:57 PM   #2559
propbeanie

Well, that helps then, KaleunMarco. I was afraid you had done a Status Report, and those can trigger most any mission in the mod... Not all of them, mind you, but a goodly percentage.

If you ever look at a comparison between a mis file, and a tsr file, there is an Objective name, such as "Objective01" in the mis file. The tsr file will then have an entry "Objective01=Objective01". If an author leaves it like that, you as the player, get a missions assignment, but the Captain's Log will show "Objective01", and that's it. So an author can change that to better match the missionbriefing text, such as "Objective01=Patrol designated area near Davao Gulf for six (6) days", and your Captain's Log will then show that text. However, if after a time, a person ( ) edits the file, and changes either the name of the objective, or the name of the "placeholder" ("Objective01=" above), then the Captain's Log will show a "blank" instead... ?? It'd be nice if the ME could throw a "type mis-match", or a "Objective01 not equal to" error, but...

verbiage anymore, is my forte, explanations are not...

Old 01-14-21, 08:11 PM   #2560
Johnson0311
Seaman

Downloads: 53

Been years since playing but downloaded this mod and installed per instructions no issues detected.

Start first campaign and have a juicy freighter lined up for a shot. All is well but when I go to fire torpedo's nothing happens. I have looked through the readme and F1 help screen.

Is there a flooding of tubes and opening hatches that I might be missing?

Thanks.
Johnson0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 10:45 PM   #2561
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson0311 View Post
Been years since playing but downloaded this mod and installed per instructions no issues detected.

Start first campaign and have a juicy freighter lined up for a shot. All is well but when I go to fire torpedo's nothing happens. I have looked through the readme and F1 help screen.

Thanks.
Yeah.... you have to open the tube 1st & foremost and... the key to do that sequence (opening the torp tube door & flooding it) is... the ''Q'' key on your keyboard, young grass hoppah...

Hope this helps...

M. M.

Old 01-14-21, 11:32 PM   #2562
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
If you ever look at a comparison between a mis file, and a tsr file, there is an Objective name, such as "Objective01" in the mis file. The tsr file will then have an entry "Objective01=Objective01". If an author leaves it like that, you as the player, get a missions assignment, but the Captain's Log will show "Objective01", and that's it. So an author can change that to better match the missionbriefing text, such as "Objective01=Patrol designated area near Davao Gulf for six (6) days", and your Captain's Log will then show that text. However, if after a time, a person ( ) edits the file, and changes either the name of the objective, or the name of the "placeholder" ("Objective01=" above), then the Captain's Log will show a "blank" instead... ?? It'd be nice if the ME could throw a "type mis-match", or a "Objective01 not equal to" error, but...

verbiage anymore, is my forte, explanations are not...
Bingo!

Dynamic Mission 01
[Text]
ContactReport 01_Objective1=Sink the enemy heavies
MissionBriefing=mission briefing
ContactReport 01_Event1=| X ATTACK IMMEDIATELY X DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR OTHER ASSIGNED DUTIES X
MissionTitle=mission title

Dynamic Mission 50
[Text]
ContactReport 50_Event1= X DEFINITELY A LUCRATIVE TARGET X HOWEVER OTHER FORCES FOR ATTACKING WILL BE VECTORED THAT WAY X SAFELY BREAK CONTACT AND CONTINUE WITH ASSIGNED OPERATIONS OR RETURN TO BASE IF NECESSARY FOR FUEL SUPPLIES OR REPAIR X

Notice any difference?

so, Mission 50 picked up an Objective but no Objective text so it was "secret" and could not be fulfilled...not that it could.

ok, that's one issue resolved.
i'd like to figure out why the reload ignored all but one of our sinkings. do NOT even mention the "J" word.

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 01-15-21 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-16-21, 10:05 AM   #2563
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson0311 View Post

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Yeah.... you have to open the tube 1st & foremost and... the key to do that sequence (opening the torp tube door & flooding it) is... the ''Q'' key on your keyboard, young grass hoppah...

Hope this helps...

M. M.

As MM points out, the "Q" key to open the tubes. "W" cycles through the forward tubes, "E" cycles through the rear tubes. "L" locks your target. The "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" pix in the game's root folder after FotRSU activation were updated by CapnScurvy, and have most of the usable keystrokes available in FotRSU.

Quote:
Bingo!

Dynamic Mission 01
[Text]
ContactReport 01_Objective1=Sink the enemy heavies
ContactReport 01_Event1=| X ATTACK IMMEDIATELY X DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR OTHER ASSIGNED DUTIES X

Dynamic Mission 50
[Text]
ContactReport 50_Event1= X DEFINITELY A LUCRATIVE TARGET X HOWEVER OTHER FORCES FOR ATTACKING WILL BE VECTORED THAT WAY X SAFELY BREAK CONTACT AND CONTINUE WITH ASSIGNED OPERATIONS OR RETURN TO BASE IF NECESSARY FOR FUEL SUPPLIES OR REPAIR X

Notice any difference?

so, Mission 50 picked up an Objective but no Objective text so it was "secret" and could not be fulfilled...not that it could.

ok, that's one issue resolved.
i'd like to figure out why the reload ignored all but one of our sinkings. do NOT even mention the "J" word.
The lack of an Objective in #50 is purposeful, since you do not receive an Objective, only the message, which is done with an "Event". I'll look into that phenomenon somehow. I've got to figure out a "testing paradigm" - I usually get distracted with "testing... But, it wouldn't surprise me if that isn't the cause of the "blank" line, and the Captain's Log interprets it as an incomplete Objective... Do you have the other assignments you were given in that Save? The "Proceed directly to..." and "Engage and destroy..." both come from the mission itself. The "Sink the enemy merchant vessels" comes from one of several missions (8, 9, 91, 10 & 102), so if you find the "ID" number of the mission for that... Then you have the blank line, then the "Cause serious damage to the enemy task force." comes from either 31 or 5, if you can find that ID in the Save folder. One of those might have something "extra" in them, or else the game itself is adding that "blank" line from encountering the drop-through to #50... thanks

Old 01-16-21, 10:13 AM   #2564
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
The lack of an Objective in #50 is purposeful, since you do not receive an Objective, only the message, which is done with an "Event". I'll look into that phenomenon somehow. I've got to figure out a "testing paradigm" - I usually get distracted with "testing... But, it wouldn't surprise me if that isn't the cause of the "blank" line, and the Captain's Log interprets it as an incomplete Objective...
no blank line.... i used notepad and deleted the Objective lines.
we moved on to our next mission and had at least two occasions where we radioed and requested a Dynamic Objective and received the Mission 50 response. the F8-Captain's Panel looked good and the End Patrol Screen look good so i think i can say that it runs fine now.

can it be that the screwy objective was the root cause for the Captain's-Panel-End-Patrol-Screen issue?

LAA enabled
Old 01-16-21, 10:24 AM   #2565
propbeanie

Yes, on the blank line messing with the End Screen's display. I was coming back to edit the post above, because I don't think you would have (and should not have) dropped through to a 50 response. For one thing, you were assigned an Objective prior to the "blank", and you were assigned an Objective after the "blank", by virtue of which would insinuate that you had plenty of fuel and plenty of ammo for any Objective that might have been on the "blank" line... The only other reason to drop to a 50 response is if you have a Primary or Secondary Objective "active", or in-complete. That will probably be how I attempt to "test" this later. I'll have an active Objective active when I fone home with a Contact Report. I am also wondering if maybe there isn't a "blank line" in one of those missions' Objective from your first "Contact Report" response? I don't know how that would happen, but stranger things have happened in the game...