SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-03-16, 09:49 AM   #1021
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I must have, eh?...

We do have an issue, on my computer, with my install... I can't get back to Pearl. I've tried three times this morning, and each time I get close, the machine shoots the game out from under me and throws up the ole "This game has quit working". The first time, I was coming in with a TC setting of 4096, and it crashed after "radar contact!" from one voice, and then "bearing 356" in a twisted voice, like the voice is a man's, but is playing about twice the speed that it should. Went back to my saved game, which I didn't save at Midway, so I'm back about the 144th longitude... nutz. Second attempt, I saved at Midway. Came toward Pearl, and reduced my TC to 2048 coming in, never went above 256 after the first radar contact. Strange thing, same voices are doing the announcements. Crashed just as the first dialog popped-up asking if I wanted to re-fit or end patrol at Pearl. So I re-loaded my Midway save and tried again. This time, I came in at 1024, and reduced to 64 TC as I approached Pearl. I took my time each time "radar contact" and "bearing 35x" came across, then I'd TC to 32 or 64, but I'd hit the "+" s l o w l y between each hit to get there, and would usually get interrupted. Sonar had maybe 3 contacts... I'll bet I got a good two dozen "radar contact" reports, at least... Anyway, about 12 minutes later (yes, I'm trying to watch the clock, 'cause I got other things to do), I finally get to the "Re-fit, End patrol" dialog, and it didn't crash. Hurray! Until I answered and clicked on "End Patrol", and then it asks "Do you want to dock at Pearl Harbor"... why, yes, why wouldn't I?... It crashed... Needless to say, I've given up for now and will try again later. I think I'll save out around Kauai so I don't have to put up with all that TC and waiting, getting impatient, and expecting another crash...

First patrol... and this is another strange part. When I saved yesterday, it was after another airplane radar contact, so we went deep to do the obligatory Ahead one third for the rest of the day and surface at night, when the radio operator comes on the message box and says "New objective!"... Well, it'll just have to wait, we're going down for the plane that is coming right at us (again), from Tokyo apparently hundreds of miles away (or perhaps some aircraft carrier that is stationary, so my sonar can't hear it...tic), with no hope of ever returning, just so he can see if we're out here... Anyway, when we pop back up at 2130, the "new" objective is to patrol the South China Sea... Now, if that would have come across like six days ago, OK, I could have done that instead of troll up and down the Eastern coast of Honshu, only finding airplanes and destroyer patrols... Oh well. How much fuel do they think a Porpoise can hold, anyway? Still gotta get back home and get re-assigned, to a desk, I guess...

All of this brings up the question(s): How do we check the functionality of the Campaign stuff in FotRS (besides this frustrating exercise in apparent futility), and is there a way to reduce the number of planes and ships that "patrol" around Midway and Pearl? Maybe perhaps it's one of the ships or planes that we're encountering approaching Pearl that is causing the CTD?...

btw, this is a Core 2 Duo Quad-core Q8300 Yorkfield 2.5ghz cpu in an Intel DP43BF LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Motherboard with 8 gig of Crucial ram, a GIGABYTE GV-R455D3-512I Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express video card, and a 440w ps. Not the latest-greatest by any stretch, but definitely more than what SH4 and any mod would ever need...

This is a problem I mentioned awhile back, and it was just passed over. I had this same problem years ago with SH4 with the game crashing when trying to return to base, then Ducimus came along with TMO and removed the air traffic over the bases as it really wasn't needed.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 08-03-16 at 10:20 AM.
cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 10:08 AM   #1022
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
This is a problem I mentioned awhile back, and it was just passed over. I had this same problem years ago with SH4 with the came crashing when trying to return to base, then Ducimus came along with TMO and removed the air traffic over the bases as it really wasn't needed.
Why's it all back in there, if FotRS is based on TMO, I wonder? I've not encountered this being this bad before though. I used to be able to get around it by coming in submerged, but I've crashed three times now trying that old trick. I've crashed a half dozen times on the surface. Not a good morning for SH4...

What's really perplexing, is here I am, at 60 depth the first time, after a first radar contact, and "crash". So I went back to my save West of Midway even, and came back in and submerged before the first contact. I mean, I'm out beyond Maui and going down to periscope depth. Now, I don't get the report, but somehow or another, I "see" an airplane flying over the harbor on my chart... what thuh... and then boom, "crash" in about the same place as all the others. The next attempt I came in at 100 foot, and same result, and I "see" a little square marker, over land, representing an airplane contact... So now ~I've~ got super-human powers...

I'm going to try one more time, but I'm going to go way South of, and then East of Pearl, and come in from the San Francisco side of the island, and see what it does... If it does it again, I'm blowing this campaign off, and trying for the Phillipines in a sugar boat. Hopefully, Fremantle wont' have as much air or harbor patrol traffic...

Edit: Aww man... another avatar change, and now I'm the goofball-looking engineer...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-03-16 at 10:11 AM. Reason: another avatar change
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 10:19 AM   #1023
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
I'm going to try one more time, but I'm going to go way South of, and then East of Pearl, and come in from the San Francisco side of the island, and see what it does... If it does it again, I'm blowing this campaign off, and trying for the Phillipines in a sugar boat. Hopefully, Fremantle wont' have as much air or harbor patrol traffic...

You'd be surprised.

Old 08-03-16, 10:27 AM   #1024
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Double R, are you having the same trouble as propbeanie with not being able to enter Pearl Harbor's port after a mission? I'm asking you since your actually playing the game through. Anyone else encountering this?

This can be a problem we'd better deal with if its happening regularly.

Propbeanie, the fact that you're getting plane detection while submerged is something we need to look into. Either you've got mod soup brewing, or there's an issue with the SD radar parameters. FOTRS doesn't help us much by removing the plane icon from the closer zoomed Nav Map scale. Apparently FOTRS didn't bother to eliminate the wider zoomed Nav Map icon (the little square block flying around the map)?!?

============

Propbeanie, is the "crash and creaks fix" added to the 0.1 beta? I'm going to add my changes to your "802 Emulate Stock" modification and have it bundled with my next Ultimate mod addition called "Ultimate Air, Ship, and Sound" mod.

That Hydrophone zoom feature will be removed (so keep your skirt on RR).

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 08-03-16 at 10:39 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 10:39 AM   #1025
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Double R, are you having the same trouble as propbeanie with not being able to enter Pearl Harbor's port after a mission? I'm asking you since your actually playing the game through. Anyone else encountering this?

============

Propbeanie, is the "crash and creaks fix" added to the 0.1 beta? I'm going to add my changes to your "802 Emulate Stock" modification and have it bundled with my next Ultimate mod addition called "Ultimate Air, Ship, and Sound" mod.

My computer doesn't crash when trying to enter Midway or Pearl, but because of the planes it sure slow down. My computer is high-end enough where it doesn't crash anymore, just gets real choppy with the planes circling over Pearl all the time.

Old 08-03-16, 10:43 AM   #1026
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
My computer doesn't crash when trying to enter Midway or Pearl, but because of the planes it sure slow down. My computer is high-end enough where it doesn't crash anymore, just gets real choppy with the planes circling over Pearl all the time.
Had you noticed what Propbeanie stated he's seen with the SD radar picking up planes while your submerged? I need to look, but that doesn't sound right when you're over periscope depth deep.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 08-03-16, 10:47 AM   #1027
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Had you noticed what Propbeanie stated he's seen with the SD radar picking up planes while your submerged? I need to look, but that doesn't sound right when you're over periscope depth deep.
No, that is something I've not seen. The only time I see planes is when at PD and I leave the periscope up, which is a bad habit for me.

Old 08-03-16, 10:51 AM   #1028
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
No, that is something I've not seen. The only time I see planes is when at PD and I leave the periscope up, which is a bad habit for me.
Ok, that's good to know. Anyone else?

Quote:
Old 08-03-16, 11:41 AM   #1029
propbeanie

The install is "fresh" from my backup just the other day when I had that disappearing command bar. This is my first return from a patrol while doing a Campaign in Ultimate. I used to try to play FotRSv1.3 all the time when it came out. I'd been doing TMO at the time, and had grown weary of certain aspects (like dying all the time... ), and it sounded like FotRS fit the bill, and it did. But I do seem to remember similar to this in it also, just not this early in the Campaign. Like late, when there was a big save file, lots of sinkings to your credit, mucho esteem about to be bestowed upon you and your crew... and "BOOM!" - CTD. But I do not recall ever having a square box on top of a land mass being detected while 100 foot down at Ahead one third at 0200 hours and still West of Pearl a good bit. Wish I would have measured how far it was. Never did get "Radar Contact" report, just the little square popped up.

I did manage to get in to Pearl (came in from the South, not exceeding 32x on TC), docked, re-fitted and now assigned to patrol off of Hakkaido, and I'm there now, doing my patrol duty, and dodging FISHING BOATS!!! No airplanes yet, just some fishing boats, for the FOURTH time. Granted, this fourth encounter is probably the same crew from the third, just across the bay from where I was earlier, and they're coming back home still... I think I'll shoot the Tsugaru Kaikyo after this objective is complete, and do me some Sea of Japan fishing. That is, if my "new" objective doesn't come across sooner. I won't have much time to play though, 'cause this boat seems to not only drink the fuel, but inhale it and also eat it... I'll only have about a day and a half left to noodle around in there...

The reason for that is going off and doing wild goose chases on the way over here. About halfway to Hokkaido from Midway, I get a "Sonar contact, Merchant, bearing 116, long range". So I turn towards it to give chase. Check its bearings as I go, and now I *know* I'm gonna torpedo me something... Then it disappears... whuh?... went a bit further, and return to course. Next day, same thing "Sonar contact, Merchant, bearing 98, long range", only instead of disappearing, I finally get close enough to actually "see" something... you guessed it: fishing boat. And the same thing about a day and a half later... Fishing boats... I left 'em alone and didn't close any closer than 9500 yards, once I could identify them... I'm saved and out of there for a while. I am half-tempted to let them see me, and see if someone comes after me... but this is a "real" mission, and I can't jeopardize my crew, boat or mission like that...

I'm gonna go do the kitchen cabinets now. We're putting new hinges and pulls on them... "It'll be easy!" said the wife a couple months ago... hooboy...

Ratz, I'm ~so~ easily distracted anymore... CapnScurvy: "Yes, the 'Crash And Creaks Fix' is part of the mod, and all you have to do is add-in the 802 portion." Stir gently though, and try not to knock all the bubbles out of the mix... :wink:

by the by, there is still something up with the audio, just not something consistent. Both cdsubron7 and I have experienced it. Mentioned up above no more than two pages back (I hope...). Nope, page 66, about a third of the way down the page...

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-03-16 at 12:03 PM. Reason: dad-blame memory... sorry CapnScurvy!
Old 08-03-16, 01:47 PM   #1030
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Have you tried Webster's Better Air Patrol mod yet, pb? Just wondering if it helped at all.

Old 08-03-16, 02:13 PM   #1031
propbeanie

No. I missed your suggestion for that the first go-round, and when I went to go download it a few minutes ago, the subsim site went down, and had a "Please standy" message... are the computer gremlins following me from FotRS, to SubSim?...

Anyway, getting it now, and will apply, and of course, have to test it... I will do my duty, sirs!

OK, fix is applied... and out of the starting gate, I have a radar contact - Didn't come close though, just flying around on the northern edge of Honshu... "Ship spotted, Merchant, Bearing 134!" Oh boy... fishing boat... my gosh... Mission is complete, got "Do your own thing" again, so I'm headed for Tsugaru Kaikyo and the Sea of Japan. Later.

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-03-16 at 03:02 PM. Reason: The airplane fix is applied...
Old 08-03-16, 03:01 PM   #1032
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
I haven't had that problem, but two people having it means it's real and all I can say is that I haven't had it yet.

Quote:
Exactly the kind of bug that can ruin the reputation of an otherwise great mod! Good catch guys!

Quote:
Propbeanie, the fact that you're getting plane detection while submerged is something we need to look into. Either you've got mod soup brewing, or there's an issue with the SD radar parameters. FOTRS doesn't help us much by removing the plane icon from the closer zoomed Nav Map scale. Apparently FOTRS didn't bother to eliminate the wider zoomed Nav Map icon (the little square block flying around the map)?!?
If you are at periscope depth with the radar antenna raised you will see planes when submerged. Lower the antenna and the planes should vanish. If that's not happening there's another bug that needs to be squished.

============

Quote:

Yes crash and creaks fix is part of .1 beta. Great! If you can package all that together we'll be golden for FOTRS Ultimate 0.2 Beta. And heck, I'm gettin' uncomfortable in this skirt.

Sounds like a plan!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-03-16 at 04:21 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 03:04 PM   #1033
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

cdrsubron7, I don't like a generic title on your missions. I think they should have your name on them and be numbered so they sort in the game menu. I just saw another bunch of missions with a similar generic name. I also think FOTRSU should be in the name.

We've discovered that the mission editor uses whatever mods are installed at mission creation. These are specific FOTRS Ultimate missions and that's important enough to be in the name. Not one in a hundred players knows the things we've discovered about missions. In the meantime I'll spend some time playing with the no return to Peal bug.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 03:06 PM   #1034
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
... If you are at radar depth with the radar raised you will see planes when submerged. Lower the antenna and the planes should vanish. If that's not happening there's another bug that needs to be squished...
nope. 'tenna down. I've been paying attention to that... it's about like leaving a scope up, right cdsubron7?... - it gitz yah in trouble FAST!...

Which reminds me... is there any way to have a "Scope Up" and/or "Antennae Up" indicator on the screen, like "Silent Running"? 'Course, I have a nasty habit of forgetting Silent Running, and Battle Stations too, and they've got indicators right there on the screen... upper right corner...

Excellent idea about naming the missions there RR... I just got to thinking, if you give each mod a unique ID number, then you could "name" the missions with that ID number in them... So FotRSu being first would be 100, and missions would be "100cdxxJourneyToMeetDeathPart17"...

Old 08-03-16, 03:47 PM   #1035
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
cdrsubron7, I don't like a generic title on your missions. I think they should have your name on them and be numbered so they sort in the game menu. I just saw another bunch of missions with a similar generic name. I also think FOTRSU should be in the name.

We've discovered that the mission editor uses whatever mods are installed at mission creation. These are specific FOTRS Ultimate missions and that's important enough to be in the name. Not one in a hundred players knows the things we've discovered about missions. In the meantime I'll spend some time playing with the no return to Peal bug.

Changing the name of the missions is not a big deal. Putting my name and FOTRS is going to create some long file names. How about something like this for an example? This would be for just a straight mission no theme.

FOTRSUc701_Aparri Bound

I could use a different set for the Kido Butai missions......

FOTRSUc7KB01_Indian Ocean Foray

Like I said it does make for long file names.