SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-16, 05:29 PM   #946
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
What patrol area were you assigned, pb?
Wow cd, yer fast... faster 'en my editin'... But I'm expecting Honshu, but still waiting for everything to finish loading. I might be thinking "stock" / GFO too much though... There we go! Honshu. "... and attack all enemy ships." Later!

Ooops! I said "patrol", but that's "Campaign" "patrol"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-16, 05:44 PM   #947
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Wow cd, yer fast... faster 'en my editin'... But I'm expecting Honshu, but still waiting for everything to finish loading. I might be thinking "stock" / GFO too much though... There we go! Honshu. "... and attack all enemy ships." Later!

Ooops! I said "patrol", but that's "Campaign" "patrol"...

Good hunting, Sir!

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-16, 05:48 PM   #948
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

If anyone wants test . . . . . .

800 Razz Dazz FOTRSU v0.4 is uploading now
Should be finished in about 5 minutes

Has all the tankers, troop transports and 13 out of 20 freighters done

(Yes I know the number of freighters keeps changing Every time I check my list it seems to be a different number )

Only 7 freighters to go, then I can have a break

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-16, 05:59 PM   #949
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post

(Yes I know the number of freighters keeps changing Every time I check my list it seems to be a different number )

I'll grab you're latest piece of magic after I get home tonight from work.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-16, 06:21 PM   #950
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Good hunting, Sir!
Why, thank you, Sir!

Just now, doin' the shakedown, in a Porpoise boat of course - the USS Pollack (SS180), which I've had multiple times, and we did a crash dive, time compression, etc., and no encounter with "The Sound" (as it should be, if the audio guy did his job), then we started trying to twist ourselves into a steel pretzel, and did ahead flank, rudder hard to port with the keyboard "Yes sir!, rudder hard to port". Rudder center on keyboard "Yes sir! Rudder" and mouth movement animation for something, then the helmsman with "Yes sir! Rudder!"... So then we did a rudder hard to starboard with the keyboard and got "Rudder hard to starboard" and "Yes sir! Rudder hard to starboard" from the helmsman. Doing the same " ' " apostrophe key press for rudder centered from there, we got "Yes sir, rudder" (like before), but only "Yes sir!" from the Helmsman...

Using the mouse, same sequence of Port, Center, Starboard, Center, we got "Yes sir, Rudder, three eight", no direction. The helmsman acknowledges with "three eight degrees to port!". Same way with the Starboard side. Centering is sometimes strange, in it depends upon how accurate you are with your mouse clicks. I put on my *strong* readers for this, and skootched up real close to the screen... "Yes sir, rudder zero" and "rudder zero degrees to port!". OK, I might be a pinch to the left... let's try a right-hand turn... "Yes sir, rudder three eight" and "rudder, three eight degrees, to port!". OK, fine. click on zero "Yes sir, Rudder, zero" "Rudder zero degrees to port". Was I off again? So I hit it again. "Yes sir, rudder zero"... silence. Simon & Garfunkel must have used that guy for their song... Anyway, Capn is on it!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post

Man, I'm docking and re-loading the skins... Naw, I'm going to try just a save from here, and load 'em in, see what happens. See if I can break it. After all, I'm not *that* far out yet...

Old 07-29-16, 12:13 AM   #951
propbeanie

Have we had an "auto-hide toolbar" in this before?... The little icon thingies stay visible, but the bar itself, that you can change the speed, direction and depth from, drops down below the bottom edge of my display, as soon as the mouse pointer gets close to them. I also can't get to the TC + / - buttons, nor the Captain's log from there. All the other functions work great. But I do not remember encountering this "auto-hide toolbar", ala MS Windows...

Anyway, on schedule for a good arrival time off Honshu after re-fueling at Midway, we encountered heavy seas and rain. Then more heavy seas and rain... continually. Just like the last dozen new campaigns I've done from Pearl departure on the 8th of Dec. Must have been a bad storm that December... Well, on December 23, 1941 (still raining, still heavy seas), about 0600 just East of our patrol zone, we got a sonar contact bearing 148. What to do what to do? So we went to check it out. Took a while, but finally figured they were going mostly West-southwesterly, so we kept adjusting for intercept, doing Standard. By like 0945, I'm thinking that I *should* be able to see ~something~ of him, going by how he's tracked on sonar. Drop down to Ahead 2/3... Should I submerge, and see if he crosses my path where I think he will, or stay on the surface where I can maneuver easier? So I stayed up top. Ahead 1/3... At 1011, I can all of a sudden see his exhaust smoke, nothing else, just about where I figured he would be. But where is the rest of him? I need a *target* to shoot at. With that, there's his stern (say WHAT??!? - did I miscalculate this?) and the computer says 176 yards. All STOP! We're gonna T-bone 'em... too close for torps, and facing the wrong direction for my pea-shooter of a "cannon" (which I wouldn't want to have to use anyway). But they apparently can see thru brick walls, and all their gunners open fire - close range, can't miss - along with everything else they had on that freighter... "Crash Dive!" is all I've got, and I really don't have room to do it, without hitting the freighter, which I can *still* only see the backside of for some reason, and he's sitting broadside to me... Hit the freighter trying to turn & dive under him and get out of the way of his guns. All sorts of damage on the way down. Bullet & small cannon holes, and impact damage to the Hull, conning tower, periscope, deck gun, AA gun, radar antennae, sonar, one of the pumps, diesel & electric engines - not all of them, just a couple each, yet somehow, no one got hurt... and we start to sink like a rock, water coming in everywhere it seems. I've never had this happen on a first patrol before... I'm gonna lose my crew and boat before we even fire a shot! But it stabilized finally at about 200 foot, and we inched our way back up to periscope depth, with the sonar man announcing "merchant, bearing 159, close range, moving away"... Say whuh? I thought the sonar was damaged... Oh well. Up scope, open 5 & 6 please thank you. Take a peek, and I see the exhaust smoke again, nothing else... Well, last time, that was probably at about 200 yards... so I let the sonar guy keep announcing bearing, and shot blind up 178 once he got up to 170, as a guess. Naturally, I missed... "Torpedoe missed, ~sir~!" Almost sounded insubordinate with that tone ~Mister~!...

I've done all sorts of night attacks, night with rain attacks, daylight storm attacks, etc. on the surface, but never had a ship not show at all until less than 200 yards... I survived, but when we get done with our patrolling duties, and we can't go very deep I don't imagine, with a "24" damage on the hull of this Porpoise boat. We're inside of our little patrol zone "circle", tooling around for the next bit. When we got here, there's a radio report that showed "WD Chapple of the USS S-38 has sunk the Hayo Maru Freighter"... I would have had the first one of the war, but I didn't... Not a very good way to start an excellent adventure. - I'll quit boring you all with drivel and get me back to my "testing" of this game and mod...

FotRS Ultimate finding of this day for me: "Auto-Hide Toolbar" - not desired.

Oh, I went and did me a screen grab of that dude after-the-fact. Can *you* identify this ship?:

Pretty nice clothes, eh?... - Also, notice the bottom edge of the screen? My "auto-hide toolbar"... I dunna like it...
Gots-to go... There's a few other pix from this portion of the adventure on photobucket, linked to in that picture.

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-30-16 at 01:43 PM. Reason: grammar corrections...
Old 07-29-16, 07:31 AM   #952
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Propbeanie, thanks for the picture (they really are worth a thousand words). You've got an issue with your game. The bottom of your screen should not look like that. There's no "Auto/Hide"!! (Outside of the "Del" number pad key which toggles all HUD features to disappear/reappear.)

You're missing an image file that reproduces the grey metal looking background at the bottom of your HUD Dials (the Compass, the Telegraph, the Depth gauge). AND, for some reason, your screen is off the image. You're too high.........you're not seeing the rest of the HUD task bar where the Command Buttons are. Here's an image of what you should be seeing (looking through the Night Scope):

Are you playing in a window? What resolution/aspect ratio are you using? With what type of monitor? What is the native resolution you use Windows with on this monitor? Try using the same in-game.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 07-29-16 at 09:10 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-16, 09:24 AM   #953
propbeanie

No, no window, full-screen. ATI Radeon HD 4450 PCIe card, set to 1280x1024 (recommended), which is the LCD monitor's "native" resolution. The game is played at the same setting. I'm on the quad core, everything else seems to run fine.

Last night, the bottom bar was doing like the Windows Task Bar, in that it would "auto-hide" when the mouse wasn't over it. If I took the mouse to the bottom edge of the screen, the bottom bar would slide up, and I could see everything fine. If I moved the mouse up to the middle of the screen, I could see the bar "slide" down and out of view. The rest of the screen stayed. I kind of liked it on the chart and periscope screens, in that it gave me a skosh more screen viewing real estate, but it's not worth the aggravation of not being able to change the dials in the lower right to their alternative modes, especially the depth one for me.

Today, it's all "normal". I was just in the same boat. When last we left our intrepid (aka: incompetent) crew, they had dived to 100 foot and at Stop for the game save. I sat there a few minutes before the save, to make sure everything was OK, since I had quite a bit of hull damage. When I came back in this morning, the first thing coming out of the speakers upon coming back "onboard" is "WE'RE TAKIMG DAMAGE SIR!" and then "WE'VE GOT SIGNIFICANT FLOODING SIR!" so I blew the tanks and we're headed home. Not good if you can't even get to 100 foot without flooding.

I thought I was recording you guys a video of my crew doing Hard To Port, Center, Hard To Starboard, Center, and the mouse clicks for similar, but ~NO~, I screwed-up something with that. Talk about wasting my time... I'll get the hang of the Afterburner routine sometime soon - I hope... In the meantime, I got different results just about everytime, out of all shifts. No two shifts do it the same. They're similar, in that the helmsman will not repeat one of the commands, sometimes two of them, but he always skips at least one of the rudder commands. He obeys the 'order', just doesn't always vocally acknowledge it. The diving officer almost always is the same on his routine. I also got erratic behavior out of a few of the command bar buttons. It would have been great to show you that with video, but ~NO~, can't have that, now can we... sorry. The main one there was when clicking on the crew management stuff, trying to go to the Damage Control screen from the button menu. It would work one time, I'd change views, come back and it wouldn't work. Change view again, come back, and it would work.

Anyway, I might scrap my first foray to Honshu, and just blow this install away and do it all over again, since I suspect mod soup issues. I'm wondering now about that fogbank that the merchant was in, if it was really a fog bank. I mean, seriously, why would I see the stern, further away from me, than the bow, several feet closer? I'll try to record some of that stuff when I get done with the re-do. Later.

Old 07-29-16, 11:00 AM   #954
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
"Today is all normal"
??????
Something is stinkin' with your setup.

The Hard to Port, Hard to Starboard is doing as expected. No need to review that. The differences between the different shift personel is fine too. Expect them to be different. I'm even looking at adding the XO to say something like "Aye Aye Captain" or "Aye Aye Skipper" once in a while.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-16, 12:18 PM   #955
propbeanie

Copy that Capn. I've re-done my install, all fresh and clean smelling now, like a fresh breeze of sea air... ahhh yesh, breathe it deeply - therapeutic...

The little variations are a nice touch, and if you succeed, would be a very nice touch. I'll not worry about recording my particular crew then. I tried to record them on the new install I'd just finished with, and I still can't get Afterburner to function as intended on the quad core machine. Works like a charm on this dual-core, though I can't get SH4 FotRS Ultimate to run real well on it... sigh. I guess I'll do me a re-install (again) of Afterburner on the quad, 'cause it'll work a few times after that... surely, windows updates don't mess with that somehow, 'cause it just did another set the day before...

Old 07-29-16, 03:25 PM   #956
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I am unfortunately not yet come for various reasons to work on my "Realism modes".
I currently need possible historically accurate details, were much Muntion for the deck gun and the flak per boat type available.

I also think that the torpedo according to type both in explosive power and failure behavior in FORTS must be heavily revised.

The same is true for the deck gun and the anti-aircraft weapons.

Historical information would be very welcome.

greetings
Old 07-29-16, 04:05 PM   #957
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente View Post
I also think that the torpedo according to type both in explosive power and failure behavior in FORTS must be heavily revised.s
I would hold off on that until we see what changes XTBilly's sinking model brings.

You two may end up working on the same thing but from different directions

As I understand it XTBilly is working on a completely new sinking model, so before you change any torpedo parameters it may be worth talking to him first to see what he is changing

Just my 2 cents

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-16, 05:39 PM   #958
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

That's right @ max-peck.
OK - I'll wait.

I watch an old time series...
https://vivo.sx/58b5986e73

Last edited by Bleiente; 07-29-16 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-30-16, 05:35 AM   #959
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Quote:
I am unfortunately not yet come for various reasons to work on my "Realism modes".
I currently need possible historically accurate details, were much Muntion for the deck gun and the flak per boat type available.

I also think that the torpedo according to type both in explosive power and failure behavior in FORTS must be heavily revised.

greetings
Hi Bleiente.

I'm working on a damage model for ships. This model is very different from the stock. Hit points don't matter anymore. To sink a ship, you must create flooding and make it list. If it lists enough, water starts pouring in, damaging other compartments and sending the ship to its water grave.

Torpedoes do not damage compartments far from the explosion, so, even if you double or triple their damage, will have no effect due to the new mechanics. You'll still need the same number to sink a ship.

I did not touch torpedo/shell damage and I don't intend to. If you do, our mods will be incompatible. But that is not a problem. More mods, more choices, right? Feel free to make your mod, mine needs much work to be completed.

To all the team:

Since my wife was fired from her job, I've been helping a friend to customize motorcycles in order to help the family's income, so my modding time was severely limited. The Ship Acceleration Model will be released the following days, sorry guys, hadn't time to finish it as I said. But it's almost ready.

Cheers,
Billy.
Old 07-30-16, 07:07 AM   #960
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:

greetings
What are you thinking on explosive power? Do you think they are too powerful or not powerful enough, and why?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote