SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-17, 05:55 PM   #1
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default Torpedos Should NOT Detect and Home on Sunkin Vessels.

As the title states, this is unrealistic....

On a surface contact, you would normally set a floor so the weapon cannot go below. I know this is not modeled, and it may be too hard to model since you would have to change the some of the HUD elements.
shipkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-17, 05:58 PM   #2
Steiger
Planesman

Downloads: 20

It's a nice defense move though. If you have a torp behind you, you can steer over the top of a wreck, drop a noisemaker, and the torp will re-acquire on the wreck. It's pretty hilarious.
Old 06-26-17, 07:41 PM   #3
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller1 View Post
As the title states, this is unrealistic....

On a surface contact, you would normally set a floor so the weapon cannot go below. I know this is not modeled, and it may be too hard to model since you would have to change the some of the HUD elements.
Does it happen even when you set it to run above the layer?
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 02:03 AM   #4
Ramius
Commander

Downloads: 43

It happens all the time because sunk vessels still have a sonar signature
Old 06-27-17, 02:18 PM   #5
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Well, I was under the impression that, 'in the game' the torpedo's use their active or passive seeker head to find the target. Sunkin targets do not have a 'sonar signature'. Its just noise, and since most of the air has been removed from the sunken hull, there is no active acoustic return for the weapon to hear.
Old 06-27-17, 02:36 PM   #6
Ramius
Commander

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Well, I was under the impression that, 'in the game' the torpedo's use their active or passive seeker head to find the target. Sunkin targets do not have a 'sonar signature'. Its just noise, and since most of the air has been removed from the sunken hull, there is no active acoustic return for the weapon to hear.
My reply was to the other post. Don't worry I agree with you this is one thing that needs changed
Old 06-28-17, 10:45 AM   #7
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Downloads: 290

Quote:

As of now (in game) sunken vessels still put out a very strong signature, as if they are a full speed ahead while sitting on the bottom after being sunk.

Jack
Navigator857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-17, 10:48 AM   #8
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Downloads: 290

Quote:
Jack
Navigator857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-17, 03:45 PM   #9
Shadow
Torpedoman

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 2

Sunken vessels should have a unique sound signature, distinct from their usual, "alive" one. Because they don't just go dead silent once the machinery stops working. Rushing water, hull cracking and popping due to high pressure isn't quiet, and it can go on for a long while. Even years, if I recall correctly.

Now, whether that kind of sonar activity should attract a torpedo or mask a clever sub, that's another story.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-17, 07:01 PM   #10
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

This is understood. But it is not a signature per se. It is just broadband noise and the MK48 does not home in on broadband noise if set to passive.

The issue is that an active torpedo should not be detecting a sunken vessel.
That is not how active sound wave return propagation works.

The energy in an active transmission is not reflected from the metal of the hull. It is reflected (actually turned) by the air/water interface.
Sound travels an ave. of 4900ft/sec in seawater, not taking into account pressure, temperature and salinity. The speed of sound in steel is anywhere from 4800-5100ft/sec. Approx. the same a sea water. The sound energy just passes through the metal hull.
Now the speed of sound through air is at a blistering 1150ft/sec. Very much slower.

The sound energy is lazy and does not like to slow when it comes into contact with a much slower medium so it is turned or reflected back when it hits the air.

There is a lot more to it than that but that is the basics.

The air volume on an non-sunken craft is much larger than a sunken one. Your weapon has let most of the air out, which lowered its buoyancy. That is why it sank in the first place.

Last edited by shipkiller1; 06-29-17 at 11:36 AM.