SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-21, 03:25 AM   #1
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95
Uploads: 0
Default Sub has damage, but nothing ever gets repaired.

What the heck is going on, I have the crew at general quarters, the repair icon is lit, no one is sleeping and still nothing gets repaired. Usually I save the game and restart and they finally start working on stuff. Not working now.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 09:13 AM   #2
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Are there crew members in the damage control team? You usually have to manually place them there.
Other possibility, damage is topside, you are submerged.

The gurus will be asking for more specific information.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 10:26 AM   #3
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I've always wondered about this repair thingie, has anyone done any indepth research on this, I've searched on this forum but the search thingie is next to useless, let me rephrase that, its the most useless search thingie in the whole of creation, ahhhhh, much better.
Old 03-01-21, 10:48 AM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
What the heck is going on, I have the crew at general quarters, the repair icon is lit, no one is sleeping and still nothing gets repaired. Usually I save the game and restart and they finally start working on stuff. Not working now.
As mikesn9 states, repair depends where the damage is and how severely it is damaged.

so, let's take Location first. if you damage is to a piece of equipment that is topside, only certain repairs can be made while you are submerged. for example, some periscope damage can be fully repaired while submerged while some damage cannot be repaired until you are topside. the designers at UBI created a DC list that does NOT include all of the equipment that CAN be damaged. i personally have experienced damage to my torpedo tubes and, according to the DC list, they were fully repaired and showed a ready-to-use status. however, i could NOT use them because there was some unknown part that was damaged and COULD NOT BE REPAIRED while underway. we had to return to our home base and end the patrol in order to repair the tubes for use.

now, let's discuss severity. as i hinted at above, some damage to equipment cannot be repaired while underway. in fact, some damage cannot be repaired even if you stop at a repair base. let us ignore that example for the moment. on the topic of Hull Damage, you cannot repair Hull Damage while underway.
when you have damage to equipment listed in the DC screen, the amount of damage is available to you by hovering your mouse over the right side of the equipment status bar. it will show a decimal number or the number 1. if it shows a one, you are #ucked, as the damage cannot be repaired until you return to your home base. the decimal indicates what percentage of the equipment is damaged. so, one equals destroyed, point one would mean that it is 10% damaged. as time passes, your repair crews will make repairs and you should see that number decrease until the equipment is repaired.

i am going to leave it there for the moment as i have to return to my job and i am also sure that you need time to digest the material in the previous two paragraphs and undoubtedly will have additional questions.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 12:46 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Just a further clarification, but on the crew management page, as has been stated, you might have to move crewmen to the Damage Control Team slots:

Also, if you have been at Battle Stations for a while, they might be "tired". But on the Crew Management page (the button on the menu in the above pic), there is that "Damage Team" button to activate / de-activate them, so be sure they are indeed activated. All other comments from mikesn9 & KaleunMarco apply. You should be able to see the percentage of damage and estimated repair time, if anything is on the "Repair Team Priority" list. Click on the third button (wrench & gear) on the top of that page in the picture above to get there. As for Moonlight's query, it seems to me that someone did do a "study" of sorts, but I don't recall who... RFB Team?? lurker_hlb3?? I have no clue as to where to find the discussion, but I would use an external search engine, such as duckduckgo or whatever, to find "hits" here. Use "site:subsim.com/radioroom " as the preliminary phrase, then what you are looking for on the site here. So a "search" on the phrase "site:subsim.com/radioroom repair team" gets you These Hits. You'll notice that SH3's GWX is in there, since it is very difficult to limit hits to just the SH4 threads, or even Silent Hunter. You will also find that any thread or download that mentions "repair" and "team" will be listed, but still infinitely more valuable than the broad range of hits from the site's "Search" function, which is much more useful in the Downloads section...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 09:49 AM   #6
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Thanks guys, but yeah I'm aware of all those parameters, Damage control party is full, damage topside needs to be done surfaced, the 1 means destroyed ect. They still do nothing to fix anything below 1. They're not asleep ect. Serious bug for me, I've had this problem on and off with vanilla, it's appeared now in Fotrsu.
Old 03-02-21, 09:57 AM   #7
propbeanie

What is your mod list then? (JSGME - "Tasks..." "Export activated mod list to -->" "Clipboard", then paste that here.) Do you have a screen grab of your damage screen, of what is (or isn't) showing on the repair list, and what shows damaged on the main list in the left column? You might have to scroll that left list, since it shows all of the repairable items on the entire boat. If anything, FotRSU's repair times are entirely too short for "realistic", even if that choice is checked on the office menu. Are any members of the Repair Team injured, or have a low health status?

Old 03-02-21, 09:57 AM   #8
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Well i guess management agreed to a new contract. Just turned the computer on to play today and they've gone back to work. Must be union sailors bwahhaaaaa Just weird littlebugs in this game from time to time.
Old 03-02-21, 09:59 AM   #9
propbeanie

If you "shelled-out" to Windows, you do sometimes get a "work stoppage" incident, similar to the "failure to expell CO2" issue, or the "Column of Steam" that follows your boat everywhere. A Save and Exit will then restore everything when you Load the Save...

Old 03-02-21, 12:20 PM   #10
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
If you "shelled-out" to Windows, you do sometimes get a "work stoppage" incident, similar to the "failure to expell CO2" issue, or the "Column of Steam" that follows your boat everywhere. A Save and Exit will then restore everything when you Load the Save...
Okay, then that's the issue! I was wondering if that might be the problem I had to dive from planes over head, I paused it and shelled out. Worked on my refrigerator in real life, refridge not working, freezer is. Then came back after i gave up for the morning. unpaused then came up a little later and they were back on strike! I saved it, exited the game and restarted and they're back to work, negotiations worked again That's gotta be the problem. I shell out often. Think we figured it out. THANKS.
Old 03-02-21, 02:46 PM   #11
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Okay, then that's the issue! That's gotta be the problem. I shell out often.
lol.
STOP THAT!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 07:40 AM   #12
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
. I shell out often.

Bad Boy! Bad Boy!

Enjoy..

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 11:36 PM   #13
FireDragon76
Bosun

Downloads: 111

The damage model seems very realistic, for subs or ships, but the damage to your sub isn't always reflected in the DC screen. I've had rudders blown off my sub, for instance, and it hasn't shown up in DC.
FireDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 11:43 PM   #14
propbeanie

Some things you just can't see from inside the sub when at 62 foot or deeper ... I don't know if it was a purposeful or accidental oversight, or maybe they just got tired of adding things to the display, or ran out of room on the 1024x768 screen they had back then... The way you find out your rudder has been blown off is when you try to turn, of course. That wouldn't be so bad if you could split the port and starboard screws, but ya can't... I can see an outer torpedo door not being able to be opened until you make it back home, but a rudder should most times have ~some~ recourse... alas, it is what it is.

Old 04-09-21, 09:21 AM   #15
FireDragon76
Bosun

Downloads: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Some things you just can't see from inside the sub when at 62 foot or deeper ... I don't know if it was a purposeful or accidental oversight, or maybe they just got tired of adding things to the display, or ran out of room on the 1024x768 screen they had back then... The way you find out your rudder has been blown off is when you try to turn, of course. That wouldn't be so bad if you could split the port and starboard screws, but ya can't... I can see an outer torpedo door not being able to be opened until you make it back home, but a rudder should most times have ~some~ recourse... alas, it is what it is.

Some of the damage modeled involves things like structural integrity. My guess is that they simply didn't want to display it for game purposes, perhaps it would feel too gamey to have a health bar.
FireDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote