SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-20, 11:04 PM   #976
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

I do see issues with the Tench in the game, other than what we knew earlier with radar, and my game CTDs when closing after using a Tench. Any issues with a Save involving the Tench?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 07:00 AM   #977
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I do see issues with the Tench in the game, other than what we knew earlier with radar, and my game CTDs when closing after using a Tench. Any issues with a Save involving the Tench?...
The only issue I've had with it is being forced to patrol out of Pearl. Makes for a long haul to the hunting grounds.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 08:19 AM   #978
propbeanie

That is where the boats started from, "officially" entering the combat zone from there. However, most all of them did stop at Guam enroute, and were then based there, if they had the opportunity to even go on patrol from there before the war ended... An add-in is planned for those who want to do that, but it is on hold while this is investigated. It seems to me that we have a possible date issue that I am missing, but we'll keep looking. Also, what I am seeing is in the intended next release, and may not affect what you have at all, but it makes me suspicious.

Edit: I did find the issue with the next release's Tench, and it was a self-inflicted wound, as usual... - So we'll get what we have packed-up and posted for you guys sometime tomorrow! I have not found any date issues whatsoever with the equipment, so we're still looking into trying to figure out what happens with the transition from one to the next with the radars when it is close to the effective dates... In the meantime, for those seeing the radar scope not "sweeping" after leaving the station and coming back in later, it is in fact still sweeping, as far as radar reports go, it is the display that quits.

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-10-20 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Issue Found!
Old 05-10-20, 11:23 AM   #979
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Yes, as per usual with SH4: in all but the earliest patrols, the game occasionally fails repeatedly to load. That's despite not shelling out, saving a certain period after a complex battle or coming out of hyperspace (high TC), etc.

FWIW, once I ambushed that one troublesome medium cooler, the radar went back to normal.

BTW, those medium coolers are quite the vicious little hedgehogs, aren't they, and quite prolific too. I encountered five of them in the last patrol, and three whale factories, sinking same. Having no baseline, I have no idea if this is anomalous.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 11:31 AM   #980
propbeanie

That is one of the problems with the use of GENERIC ship classes, in that the game gets "stuck" on the percentages. It seems that the "Random" of the game likes to do the "positives" first. In other words, you have something set to happen 76 times out of 100, and the game will do 74 of those 76, then do 20 of the others, back to the last 2 of the 76, and then the last 4 of the 24. It does not seem to do a 76% chance each time through a sequence, but rather sets the 76:100 at the outset. Does that set, then does another set... Similarly, if you have duds turned on, you will see a LOT of duds initially, then they'll calm down to the point where you think you have an "un-dudded" game, and then you'll get another flurry of them... weather seems similar. Real life does do that also, but not quite to the extent of the game. It is what it is though.

Old 05-10-20, 04:33 PM   #981
propbeanie

OK, finally got out of "editing" mode for the next release, and doing some final checks. First up is what the beast came upon the other day with the Ansyu Maru Auxilary Transport. Single Mission, with all three of Hitman's ships, just in case:

The photo line-up of possible suspects

Same line-up moments after 2x torps each, the Aden is having trouble with internal explosions

The Aden had been hit first, and started to settle first, but sank last

... and the same one from below water level

The first to sink - this is from the undamaged starboard side.

and the Ada takes the plunge

I did follow the Aden down, and it too did not have issues. All three ships showed torpedo damage holes, and sank about as well as any in the game, neither going too fast, nor too slow, though I would like to see them go slower... Now, this is in the new version, getting mixed as we "speak", but as far as I know, we did nothing to affect them. I have seen similar though, when loading an old Save from a slightly different set-up. The mod does demand quite a bit of the computer's resources, and I can see a busy scene or large amount of Save data causing a person some grief, but also check for any background apps digging into your computer resources. This machine I am on now will usually do OK, but I cannot have Discord and SH4 going at the same time, along with all the other systray krapp

Old 05-10-20, 06:17 PM   #982
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
OK, finally got out of "editing" mode for the next release, and doing some final checks. First up is what the beast came upon the other day with the Ansyu Maru Auxilary Transport. Single Mission, with all three of Hitman's ships, just in case:

The photo line-up of possible suspects

Same line-up moments after 2x torps each, the Aden is having trouble with internal explosions

The Aden had been hit first, and started to settle first, but sank last

... and the same one from below water level

The first to sink - this is from the undamaged starboard side.

and the Ada takes the plunge

I did follow the Aden down, and it too did not have issues. All three ships showed torpedo damage holes, and sank about as well as any in the game, neither going too fast, nor too slow, though I would like to see them go slower... Now, this is in the new version, getting mixed as we "speak", but as far as I know, we did nothing to affect them. I have seen similar though, when loading an old Save from a slightly different set-up. The mod does demand quite a bit of the computer's resources, and I can see a busy scene or large amount of Save data causing a person some grief, but also check for any background apps digging into your computer resources. This machine I am on now will usually do OK, but I cannot have Discord and SH4 going at the same time, along with all the other systray krapp
What have you done to my babies ?!?!? You sank em!!!
Old 05-10-20, 09:17 PM   #983
propbeanie

Pretty, aren't they?... even with ventilation holes below the water's surface!

Old 05-11-20, 11:56 PM   #984
Sokolov
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Is there are harbours are well defended?
Old 05-12-20, 07:50 AM   #985
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danya View Post
Is there are harbours are well defended?
I would not suggest you get within 6nm of an enemy harbor. Many have gun boats or larger, and many have shore guns. Always approach a harbor cautiously, and at periscope depth if inside a 6nm range. They are very accurate gunners!

Old 05-12-20, 09:27 AM   #986
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

I've had the opposite experience. Been able to just waltz up to any old harbor and pick off ships at my leisure.

Obviously, the exception is if there's a warship of any kind in dock. They'll open up if I get too close. So a cautious approach is still a good one.

Absent a gunboat or other warship., I can easily get within 6 nm without a shot fired. Even with a gunboat, I can usually smash it with the deck gun from well outside its engagement range. That's tedious though because I have to man the deck gun myself - even my best AI gunners waste about 1/3 to 1/2 the shots.

Shore batteries have only engaged me if I fired first.
Old 05-12-20, 12:36 PM   #987
Zinmar
Commander

Downloads: 276

Does this work with Operation Monsoon or should I make two separate installations of the game? Probably two.....would be the smart thing to do.
Zinmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 12:42 PM   #988
propbeanie

Yes, two separate installs, with the use of MultiSH4 to make separate Save folders also, one for FotRSU, and one for OM, or better still Dark Waters, in which Fifi gave OM a new set of clothes.

Old 05-13-20, 06:21 AM   #989
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
I've had the opposite experience. Been able to just waltz up to any old harbor and pick off ships at my leisure.

Obviously, the exception is if there's a warship of any kind in dock. They'll open up if I get too close. So a cautious approach is still a good one.

Absent a gunboat or other warship., I can easily get within 6 nm without a shot fired. Even with a gunboat, I can usually smash it with the deck gun from well outside its engagement range. That's tedious though because I have to man the deck gun myself - even my best AI gunners waste about 1/3 to 1/2 the shots.

Shore batteries have only engaged me if I fired first.
To each their own, I guess. But I wouldn’t approach certain places in Truk, Rabaul, or the entrances to Bungo Suido and Tokyo Wan on the surface day or night - they may have a shorter range at night, but those shore guns will hit your boat with deadly accuracy.

But like I said, to each his/her own.

Old 05-13-20, 10:23 AM   #990
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
To each their own, I guess. But I wouldn’t approach certain places in Truk, Rabaul, or the entrances to Bungo Suido and Tokyo Wan on the surface day or night - they may have a shorter range at night, but those shore guns will hit your boat with deadly accuracy.

But like I said, to each his/her own.
i agree with TB.
approach harbors with trepidation.
i stay away from Rabaul, Truk, Saipan.
patrol approx 25-30 miles out and wait for the convoy/TF to come out.
interest story...i approached Saipan once, from the west, unbeknownst to me a TF was passing the port-city on the east side. the TF spawned.... and a CVE got hung up on a Saipan mountain. i posted a screen shot here at Subsim but i cannot find it.
anyway, that is another reason why i stay away from active ports.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote